Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Oh you're going for a "Last Man on Earth" - tupe situation? As in, it doesn't matter if everyone else gets sick because you're healthy. Sound man.

Night!

I have to also say I have been sleeping incredibly soundly since this all kicked off. Usually I can't sleep for about three hours because my thoughts about work and commitments are troubling me, but in the last week, I feel like I've obtained a sort of perspective I never had before and the important things are just lined up. I've been enjoying my interactions way more and just generally reveling in being alive. Life is class.

The thing not in common is the very thing that makes them not comparable, contagiousness. In the coming weeks the virus is going to become more of a preoccupation than road deaths, I can assure you.

A neighbour said to me today that they weren't on as much alert when they were awaiting the results for a cancer test as they are about this virus. They're thinking about it every waking moment. And they're not even on the Internet, so I'm glad the seriousness is permeating through the general consciousness.
    Yeah and earlier in the thread someone quoted some old guy with cancer and said he wasn’t remotely worried about the virus because something will get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

South Korea has the best statistics and the death rate is 0.6 or something...they tested everyone who suspected themselves instead of the severe cases in hospital only like other countries.
    The virus is probably spread all over Ireland and only the worst cases are known about.
    No need for panic stations yet.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    South Korea has the best statistics and the death rate is 0.6 or something...they tested everyone who suspected themselves instead of the severe cases in hospital only like other countries.
    The virus is probably spread all over Ireland and only the worst cases are known about.

Eh careful here, logic doesn’t sit well in this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve taken a good look at Italy and China that’s why I’m not so worried, for my vulnerable relatives I am worried, but no more worried than before this kicked off.
    Our fate isn’t in our control anyway,

Ah a follower of predestination. I get ya ;)

Here someone posted this. Might help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

Woodsie1 wrote: »

I wouldn't believe numbers in a lot of countries that are been told to be honest. If they gave the proper rates panic would set in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Our fate isn’t in our control anyway,

Here are a list of alterative philosophical opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ah sure an auld discussion on the interwebs is no good if nobody disagrees with you.

But I’ll stop now and will also enjoy a calm and relaxing sleep like Kaisr Sose. Good night all.

Well for some.

Hoping for a 'sweaty high-energy panic kip' meself. Was just warming up while brushing my teeth reading lufthansa are slashing 50% of their flights. The lads were saying ye can't stop flights and then the flights start stoppin' themselves...

sure look we don't know what will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

SAXA wrote: »
    I have two kids so far not worried for them. Both myself and my wife early forties so sould be fine.. our parents not so.. one just out of hip op and other in long term care with health isues .. Prople posting and laughing about deaths should be banned... if they died and were laughed at because they trans bi gay children etc it would be stopped v quickly.. The elderly are not equalled represented here Mods get a grip here
    People are posting here because they are scared and want reassurance, and that applies to the jokers here too. Statistically most people will be fine if they follow the guidelines.

haydeyhi wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe numbers in a lot of countries that are been told to be honest. If they gave the proper rates panic would set in.

I'd believe South Korea there's no reason not to.
    140000 tests if I remember correctly.
    It's a good country to base any assumptions on,probably the best country out of any that's been badly affected by the virus.

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah a follower of predestination. I get ya ;)

Here someone posted this. Might help....

Bad news sells
    Sensationalism sells
    Doom sells
    this thread sells

the articles on the effects of hysteria not so much, good news no chance

I want to see stats for the increase in media article views for the past week or so, they hit the jackpot with this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://youtu.be/-JFC81JEoIw

I don't know how to link videos. This is an interview about how this virus came about. A few things jump out at me here:

1) in December, in Wuhan, people started showing up in hospital with pneumonia and fever and the fever didn't respond to treatment.

A question about this: if the fever didn't respond to treatment, will fever that we develop respond to home/over the counter medicine?

2) people in Wuhan showed up in hospitals sick in December.

Taking the incubation period of up to 14 days to show symptoms, when you do show symptoms, it could progress. I will take approx. 2 weeks progression. So, you're talking about 4 weeks timeline. This viral infection into humans probably would have started approximately in October. That's quite some time for disease spreading there in Wuhan, China and for it to spill out beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

Some people on here are absolutely devastated that there aren't more cases in Ireland

Not devastated there no more cause just sickened the government is hiding the problem! Let the public know so they can help to contain it rather then spreading it!

owlbethere wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/-JFC81JEoIw

I don't know how to link videos. This is an interview about how this virus came about. A few things jump out at me here:

1) in December, in Wuhan, people started showing up in hospital with pneumonia and fever and the fever didn't respond to treatment.

A question about this: if the fever didn't respond to treatment, will fever that we develop respond to home/over the counter medicine?

2) people in Wuhan showed up in hospitals sick in December.

Taking the incubation period of up to 14 days to show symptoms, when you do show symptoms, it could progress. I will take approx. 2 weeks progression. So, you're talking about 4 weeks timeline. This viral infection into humans probably would have started approximately in October and November. That's quite some time for disease spreading there in Wuhan, China and beyond.

We will all get it at some stage and most of us probably already have it.
    In a year or 2 it will be added into the ever growing strains of flu vaccine that we are supposed to take every year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

its very scripty tho isnt it, hard to believe its a random natural development..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bad news sellsSensationalism sellsDoom sells this thread sells the articles on the effects of hysteria not so much, good news no chance I want to see stats for the increase in media article views for the past week or so, they hit the jackpot with this

Not into reality or professional opinion then?

So you are saying the Doctor from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness is a sensationalist and is hysterical? Grand so ...

I reckon you'll be seeing the stats all right in a couple of weeks and they wont make for nice reading tbh....

Whst part of the HSE did you say you work for? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This thread is gas.

I was at a gig tonight, if one person from that gets tested positive can someone tells me what happens then?

Everybody who went to the gig isolates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I have to say I am now very worried.

I had been under the misapprension that medical treatment in China might be a bit haphazaard and somewhat behind what we have here. The truth is very different. A WHO spokesman on the podcast on bbc last night talked about measures they used in China to treat those severely affected and they were extraordinary. They widely used ECMO machines that take over all the work of the lungs filtering blood of CO2. These machines are used temporarily during transplant surgery usually. They were not always successful or very successful but the WHO guy said they were recommending states buy these machines as the most effective line of treatment for those severely ill. I wouldn't say we have a handful of those machines in the country or ppl capable of using them. This does not sound like pneumonia as we know it at all. I would expect death rates to potentially be much higher in areas not able to put such measures in places.

Yep,as somebody who has worked with major Chinese hospitals I can tell you the big cities municipal and university hospitals are well funded, have the latest equipment (budgets not a problem) and well trained medics. ,They simply got overwhelmed in Wuhan, many of the people who died never even got to a doctor they were dying at home or in hotels and 'quarantine stations '. That's the real problem ....Timely medical access. They have it well under control now after isolating people St home to reduce the transmission rate and allow them to catch up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

This thread is gas.

I was at a gig tonight, if one person from that gets tested positive can someone tells me what happens then?

fraid so bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

This thread is gas.

F

I have a gig tomorrow night, really don't want to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

People are posting here because they are scared and want reassurance, and that applies to the jokers here too. Statistically most people will be fine if they follow the guidelines.

Weasel words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My first gig will be April 31st Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, hopefully its dying off during a hopeful early April heat up.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

My first gig will be April 31st Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, hopefully its dying off during a hopeful early April heat up.

Has been 13 - 17c in Tehran, it seems not to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

LaFuton wrote: »
    fraid so bud

That's a yikes from me dawg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Might want to check your calendar.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Might want to check your calendar.

Your right its April 30th in Dublin Thursday, thanks for correction. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

When all this sh1t blows over, what is the best approach for the world to educate China on their lack of ethics? Three pathogens from them this century is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I am not scared nor am I looking for reassurance, I am interested in the facts of what is turning into a Pandemic. You on the other hand think you are reassuring people, you are not at all, in fact it is a bit creepy what you and your cohorts are doing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I reckon the people online who think the sky is going to fall in are all neck beards living in their mam’s house getting their jollies from misery pron.

Stupid posts with off the wall generalisations are fun!

Not even warm, keep guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Your right its April 30th in Dublin Thursday, thanks for correction. :)
    Maybe check it again...

(I noticed last time because there is no April 31st, and I googled it to see if there was some joke I wasn't getting, but it says Dublin on the 29th..)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement