Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

bb12 wrote: »
    great interview with bruce ayleward...interesting point for a lot of you who think you're not in the high risk group...he found that in china there are lots of examples where healthy 30 and 40 year olds succumbed to the virus and the doctors still have no idea why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUI6DIswmFk

Bruce is the man alright. This 2 hour video is excellent and would be a much better use of time than hanging out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It's not possible to prevent every single case. The aim is to spread the cases over a longer period of time so that the health service and economy can cope. This is especially important in the case of COVID 19 as severely ill cases may be in hospital for many weeks. In the absence of a vaccine or effective treatment the only way to achieve this is by hand washing, good respiratory etiquette, measures to limit community spread, case detection, contact tracing and isolation. These all take buy in from the public, all government departments, unions etc. Travel bans may have some limited role - Italy was one of the few EU countries with a blanket ban on flights from China! Airport temperature screening doesn't work (see Italy again) and is just done for the sake of optics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

haydeyhi wrote: »
    I have my adblocker setup through a raspberry PI thanks very much.

Lol, well then it's not very good if you are seeing ads and I don't get even one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Two more US deaths in Florida this time. CNBC.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8084973/Panic-Sydney-man-COLLAPSES-having-coughing-fit-Australias-coronavirus-epicentre.html

Sydney: man collapses while having a coughing fit in Australia's coronavirus epicentre - and people just stand round and take photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8084973/Panic-Sydney-man-COLLAPSES-having-coughing-fit-Australias-coronavirus-epicentre.html

Sydney: man collapses while having a coughing fit in Australia's coronavirus epicentre - and people just stand round and take photos

Got to make sure your camera is working before helping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Got to make sure your camera is working before helping!

I'd leave the helping to the Hazmat guys and gals, I think someone did call emergency services though.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

You weren't there. We can see that's there's two people taking pictures. We don't know if there's anyone in the background calling an ambulance.

This would be good for us to learn from. What would you do if you were at an Irish bus stop and someone fell over coughing knowing that there's a contagious disease with cough as a symptom. As it stands, I would be slow to rush over and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Bus stops are small spaces. I won't be standing in bus stops from now on. I will stand outside the bus stop and away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Prob posted already but here we go again

https://twitter.com/KateABC7/status/1236061304831397888

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Dear God, what is wrong with Ireland as a country. Why do we always end up with imbeciles in charge during times of crisis.
    All rational evidence and expert opinions say curtail incoming flights and cancel mass gatherings.
    No, Comical Ali Holohan and Varadkar know better.
    We are being walked into a crisis once again by incompetence and ignorance,might as well put Paddy Neary in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

faceman wrote: »
    Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Have you been to these so called hospitals? I bet you haven’t.

There are many varying degrees of hospitals in China. The only ones with comparable health to the West are foreign run private hospitals. They’re far too costly for most local people.

Rural hospitals are a joke

These “well funded”’public hospitals you speak off. Name just one. You can’t can you?

Public hospitals are like airports. You queue up when you arrive and wait to be dealt with. Standards vary from hospital but even in major cities and even in the public hospitals you’d need to be going to the VIP areas. Even at that, it’s reasonably modern and standard of medics is higher than the public system

Make no bones about it, healthcare in China is NOT comparable with the western world.

I’ve visited China very regularly in the past and have attended a major hospital in a major city as a patient.

I have visited hospitals in China. Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen all have some brilliant hospitals. HK University hospital in Shenzhen is fantastic. Even in public hospitals in China I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes to see a doctor.

BTW are you including Ireland and HSE as part of the western world here? 🀭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

boetstark wrote: »
    Dear God, what is wrong with Ireland as a country. Why do we always end up with imbeciles in charge during times of crisis.
    All rational evidence and expert opinions say curtail incoming flights and cancel mass gatherings.
    We are being walked into a crisis once again by incompetence and ignorance,might as well put Paddy Neary in charge.

Except thats just not true....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Prob posted already but here we go again

https://twitter.com/KateABC7/status/1236061304831397888

It's a fcuking cruise ship!
    What do you expect?
    It's basically a floating hostel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I have visited hospitals in China. Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen all have some brilliant hospitals. HK University hospital in Shenzhen is fantastic. Even in public hospitals in China I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes to see a doctor.

It's been a while since I was in a public hospital in mainland China (6+ years anyway); however the two ones I was in 1st tier cities were/ are not equivalent to the standard of care you would expect in Europe / N America in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

owlbethere wrote: »
    Bus stops are small spaces. I won't be standing in bus stops from now on. I will stand outside the bus stop and away from people.

And then get on the bus with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

Wonder how long till we have an AMA with someone who contracted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Dr John crown leading oncologist in ireland
    Carmen Regan chief obstetrician coomb
    Kingston Mills professor of immunology at trinity also Chinese ambassador who probably has seen more of this virus than most here
    Do I need to continue
    We have Holohan a gp appointed by the boys trust, all he scan say is containment, wash your hands and we expected this.
    Away with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

owlbethere wrote: »

How will u manage that on the bus?
    Serious question as I'd like to know the best way of avoiding contamination on public transport.
    Surely washing hands after won't be enough..or will it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Yurt! wrote: »
    It's been a while since I was in a public hospital in mainland China (6+ years anyway); however the two ones I was in 1st tier cities were/ are not equivalent to the standard of care you would expect in Europe / N America in the least.

in what sense standard of care?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Do people just have to look at each other in Italy to get this virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

boetstark wrote: »

Agreed, it’s ridiculous that the parades and associated events have not been cancelled.

Hopefully more Parades organisers - like the one in Youghal - start making the right decisions in the absence of any leadership from the ‘government’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

in what sense standard of care?

Woefully overcrowded and generally filthy. Witnessed an older gentleman getting administered a syringe in the backside by a nurse in the waiting area in full view of other patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The lambs arent babies when they are eaten here.

They are killed at 6 months I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Absolute rubbish.

We are an island, if we had stopped flights coming in it wouldn't be here now.
    Let any tourists here fly home, let any of our tourists abroad come back to quarantine until they were tested and cleared.
    I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Enough of this "we can't stop flights" crap.

Peoples lives are at risk, people are now going to die because of this and it could have been prevented if flights were stopped by us and the North.

There is no denying that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Get specific. What did you have treated in a public ward in a public hospital in China. And what did you get treated in a private hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Christ almighty. Yes a bunch of people are going to die. Those in the vulnerable groups. This mastabatory "end of the world" , "wait till the bodies start piling up up", circle jerks calm yer heels. Not the Black Death that ye are all hoping for. I think the 6 rolls of kleenex will do ya. Its like a liveline show with the hysteria.

****ing idiots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Genuinely needed toilet paper this evening. In an area of California with no coronavirus. Here’s the shelf in my local grocery store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Absolute rubbish.

We are an island, if we had stopped flights coming in it wouldn't be here now.
    Let any tourists here fly home, let any of our tourists abroad come back to quarantine until they were tested and cleared.
    I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Enough of this "we can't stop flights" crap.

Peoples lives are at risk, people are now going to die because of this and it could have been prevented if flights were stopped by us and the North.

There is no denying that.

That’s a bit extremist. This virus could be around for several months and without a group of countries acting together and shutting down it’s going to spread in big numbers. That level of shutdown for several months would cripple this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

faceman wrote: »
    Genuinely needed toilet paper this evening. In an area of California with no coronavirus. Here’s the shelf in my local grocery store.

Yeah, every store I've been in this week has been emptied of toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. Severely low on cold meds and painkillers. Sorry but they are selfish pricks emptying shelves like that. Just saw a news clip of some guy at my local costco with so many trays of water he could barely push the cart. They need to start putting limits on how much people can buy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement