Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Where's Graces7? Hope she's ok on the island

Thank you for kind inquiry!. Struggling health wise with my usual CFS/ME which is severe just now, and also bad hay fever so not been around for days and just here briefly.

All is fine out here; my "job" in all this crisis is to ensure I am safe and not take up any resources that others need. My cupboards are groaning with food supplies and coal etc are in . Living on home made chicken soup. As in throw a few goodies into a pan ..lol...abed most of each day.

Was given very strict official orders not to see anyone face to face. Glad to obey as am only up to see to food and the cats

YouTube is a blessing.

The situation out there is so hard for so many now. Hope all here are safe and well... I have cleared some of my pm box...

Blessings and peace to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

faceman wrote: »
    Genuinely needed toilet paper this evening. In an area of California with no coronavirus. Here’s the shelf in my local grocery store.

Don’t you have a huge amount of homeless people throughout California ? It could spread rapidly through that community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Can we all come move with you till it passes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Genuinely needed toilet paper this evening. In an area of California with no coronavirus. Here’s the shelf in my local grocery store.

Would you not just wash your ass with a shower head and dry it with a towel? Can't understand why toilet paper in particular is being panic bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

pinksoir wrote: »
    Would you not just wash your ass with a shower head and dry it with a towel? Can't understand why toilet paper in particular is being panic bought.

Dangleberries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I can see Graces7 island becoming the last bastion. Like those wall lads on the thrones.

I got guns and beans Grace. My in ?

A lot of panic buying in Hanoi now with the case confirmed yesterday evening. Not for toilet roll, though. We're actually civilised here and use bum guns.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We're actually civilised here and use bum guns.

Wha da fook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Because people are reactionary.

There's no way to control this. We'll either be very lucky and warmer weather will stop the virus, or unlucky and it'll spread exponentially.

Our control measures won't stop it. Comparisons to 100 years ago are useless. People are far more mobile and travel is common place. Our world is globalised and we cant turn it off by cancelling all travel. We'd starve.

China and Singapore have both managed to control it to a large degree by travel bans and enforced isolations on those coming from hotspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Fair play to South Korea, they appear to be doing more than pretty much any country, over 140k tests done.

Guess they have been preparing for a war with North Korea for decades, even being prepared for a dirty or nuclear bomb. Good emergency readiness then I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

boetstark wrote: »
    Dr John crown leading oncologist in ireland
    Carmen Regan chief obstetrician coomb
    Chinese ambassador who probably has seen more of

Are you taking the piss?

Do you know what oncology and obstetrics are? How have they made it into your head as expert areas for infectious diseases and virology? Maybe read/listen to some people working in those areas and come back to us.

We should base public health policy on what the Chinese ambassador says, fecking hell haha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

pinksoir wrote: »

I’ll just wipe me hole with some bread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fair play to South Korea, they appear to be doing more than pretty much any country, over 140k tests done.

Guess they have been preparing for a war with North Korea for decades, even being prepared for a dirty or nuclear bomb. Good emergency readiness then I guess.

Um. What benefit is it having? Do tell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wha da fook?

A high powered handheld spray nossle used in toilets to wash the ****e off your bum hole.

Used in Asia and becoming very popular across the World.

That would solve your issue with no toilet roll as well.

Absolute rubbish.

We are an island, if we had stopped flights coming in it wouldn't be here now.

We're not an island, we share a border with the UK.

Unless you close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers, then every single Irish person stranded in Italy is gonna fly home to Belfast and get the train/bus/taxi down.

The virus would still be here regardless of whether we stopped flights or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

haydeyhi wrote: »
    A high powered handheld spray nossle used in toilets to wash the ****e off your bum hole.

Used in Asia and becoming very popular across the World.

High powered? Sounds like a good way to spray poop all over the room tbh. A bidet I can get on board with, a bit more gentle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Um. What benefit is it having? Do tell

Earlier treatment and earlier isolation of cases due to the level of testing can't be a bad thing. Can't respond to cases if you don't know they exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Amirani wrote: »
    We're not an island, we share a border with the UK.

Unless you close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers, then every single Irish person stranded in Italy is gonna fly home to Belfast and get the train/bus/taxi down.

The virus would still be here regardless of whether we stopped flights or not.

This is the funniest post on boards all year.

And if I was to explain gaslighting or manipulation to someone id show them your post.

We are on an Island, seriously you really need to buy a map of the county or start basic geography.

This is like the lies the Gubbermint try to spin to us to suit their agendas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Get specific. What did you have treated in a public ward in a public hospital in China. And what did you get treated in a private hospital?

Public hospital in Suzhou I had a bad throat infection so saw the doctor and they put me on IV drip - hospital was crowded but calm and orderly. In Shenzhen had an ear infection and needed ear syringed. Hospital very clean, not crowded, doctors and nurses even spoke english.

In Shanghai went to a private maternity hospital. Again it is crowded as it's China but well organised. Wife had to undergo treatment and it was clean. Obviously stuff happens like people queuing at the door eavesdropping but it doesn't harm anyone.

Also went for a number of health tests for jobs and it's very organised and fast.

Of course third tier city hospitals will not be as good and I have seen operating theatres in some parts of Jiangsu which are inadequate to say the least. But the original poster was talking about the biggest cities I believe.

Maybe you ought to get specific. Ever been to a hospital in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Absolute rubbish.

We are an island, if we had stopped flights coming in it wouldn't be here now.
    Let any tourists here fly home, let any of our tourists abroad come back to quarantine until they were tested and cleared.
    I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Enough of this "we can't stop flights" crap.

Peoples lives are at risk, people are now going to die because of this and it could have been prevented if flights were stopped by us and the North.

There is no denying that.

Personally I don't think this is possible. Good public hygiene and better awareness may help flatten the curve, as it is said, to prevent sudden overwhelming spikes of need in strained health services, and these responses are necessary, but shutting down the world is not feasible, probably not desirable and in any event is too late. It has spread globally. It is a new worry, especually for people who are older or immuno-compromised. Large gatherings in communities should be restricted to manage the spike. That response has long historical precedence.

Covid 19 will be one of the circulating viruses going forward from now that humans will have to contend with. It might not even be relieved by seasons from some articles I have read. Hopefully we will better develop immunities and treatment. Hopefully mutations will be favourable rather than otherwise. It is in the community now.

How exactly may be a worrisome question for another time, as it is too early in the pandemic to know for sure. But it is a question we need to look at seriously, in order to avoid even more deadly threats in future. It has long been my opinion that a germ will be our undoing as a species, not conveniently taxable climate issues etc etc.

Not trying to be gloomy just pragmatic. I honestly cannot see how one can put bazillions of invisible things back in Pandora's Box.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    High powered? Sounds like a good way to spray poop all over the room tbh. A bidet I can get on board with, a bit more gentle

Not really high powered but they'd hit the ceiling if you aimed it at it. Well anyones i came across did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭vickers209

Aldi greystones last night toilet roll area cleaned out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

owlbethere wrote: »
    That dog case came out last week from Hong Kong. That's actually very worrying. I'm not able to get my head around this one. Like, did a human infect a dog or dog infect human. Then there's other scenarios, could other animals become infected too like - cows, sheep, pigs, etc.

Then if this becomes like a yearly flu, can animals and humans infect each other?

It's all so new.

Given that coronavirus came from wild animals its likely endemic in wild animals in parts of Asia. If you don't eat the animal you're probably fine. The Chinese animal markets were perfect places to spread the virus. Lets hope when they do get a handle on this they raise their food standards.

nthclare wrote: »
    We are on an Island, seriously you really need to buy a map of the county or start basic geography.

The claim wasn't that we were on an island. The claim was that we are an island and able to stop all flights. We're not an all island nation, we share a land border with the UK on the island. Hence it's not possible for the Irish Government to stop all flights into the island, it's not that hard to understand...

nthclare wrote: »
    This is the funniest post on boards all year.

And if I was to explain gaslighting or manipulation to someone id show them your post.

This is like the lies the Gubbermint try to spin to us to suit their agendas.

Oh lord, I think you win the Darwin award. I'm not even going to attempt to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I feel like if I hear another word of reassurance I'll scream! All we are hearing from authorities is reassurance. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking that what is happening is that we have all entered some mild nervous breakdown and got a little jittery over the flu and now need the authorities calming us down, because after all this will only kill 2-3.4%

Except those couple of percent of people are our parents, our sick friends /family /kids.

Are we suddenly happy enough to dispense with them provided we just get a bit a sniffle ourselves? Well I most certainly am not.

Our health service is in no way able to handle a full blown epidemic that requires mass hospitalisation. Pretending otherwise will result in more deaths than we have seen in China, we have less capability to deal with it than they did. Its more than infuriating to see the HSE lying about that and refusing to tell us where affected regions are etc.

I really feel like this an instance where we can not afford to be handled like delicate snowflakes who need sheltering from reality. Let's adult up and accept that in the face of somethings you need to be afraid, it's the only sane response. Fear exists for a reason, to curtail dangerous behaviour. It will actually save us, not kill us.

Fear causes people to act irrationally and make bad decisions.

This thread is full of doom-mongers and misery-junkies, stoking fear and wallowing in anxiety.

If the Government followed some of the advice on here we would be facing a full-on crisis.

Time for people to 'adult-up' indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

boetstark wrote: »
    Dr John crown leading oncologist in ireland
    Carmen Regan chief obstetrician coomb

Kingston Mills professor of immunology at trinity also Chinese ambassador who probably has seen more of this virus than most here
    Do I need to continue
    We have Holohan a gp appointed by the boys trust, all he scan say is containment, wash your hands and we expected this.
    Away with you.

An oncologist, an obstetrician and a government official - what makes them more qualified than Tony Holohan? Mills’ view carries more weight but his colleague Luke O’Neill - also an accomplished immunologist - is much more sanguine.

Over 800 posts since I last read this thread. Nope. I ain’t reading them.

Someone catch a sweet little strawberry up?

A lot of panic buying in Hanoi now with the case confirmed yesterday evening. Not for toilet roll, though. We're actually civilised here and use bum guns.

Welcome back, Googly. What’s occurring on your side of the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Anyone else notice ever since they said try not to touch your face, the damn thing gets itchy more often than ever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement