Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Someone catch a sweet little strawberry up?

Half the people say we are fooked, half say we will be fine.

Truth is, nobody knows anything for sure.

Paddy's Day parade still on, a few more cases confirmed yesterday. 18 now in total.

On a personal level, I am terrified. I suffer from anxiety at the best of times but it's through the roof now.

It's a shame because we just found out a couple of weeks ago that my wife is expecting with our first child together. I'm also concerned about my elderly mother who is on the verge of tears every day when I speak to her.

Nothing we can do I suppose except take precautions and not be reckless but that doesn't ease my worries at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Anyone else notice ever since they said try not to touch your face, the damn thing gets itchy more often than ever?

Absolutely. It's horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Fear causes people to act irrationally and make bad decisions.

This thread is full of doom-mongers and misery-junkies, stoking fear and wallowing in anxiety.

If the Government followed some of the advice on here we would be facing a full-on crisis.

Time for people to 'adult-up' indeed.

The government advised the doctor in clare he could go about his business until he showed symtoms even though it was well known the virus can be spread when you are asymtomatic.

The government know jack sh1t. That's been clear for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Amirani wrote: »
    We're not an island, we share a border with the UK.

Unless you close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers, then every single Irish person stranded in Italy is gonna fly home to Belfast and get the train/bus/taxi down.

The virus would still be here regardless of whether we stopped flights or not.

Someone change all the maps quick, we're not an island!!

Funny how you left out the part of my post that said the North should have done the same.

Nice way to pick and choose what I said to suit yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The government advised the doctor in clare he could go about his business until he showed symtoms even though it was well known the virus can be spread when you are asymtomatic.

I personally think this was probably the wrong decision alright, at least in the early stages.

Problem with making asymptomatic doctors/nurses self-isolate is that we're going to run out of healthcare professionals quite soon with such an approach. This thing is likely to spread quite rapidly and affect most hospitals. We already have a shortage of staff in many areas without any cover, soon we may not be able to have the luxury of keeping staff home despite showing no symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Over 800 posts since I last read this thread. Nope. I ain’t reading them.

Someone catch a sweet little strawberry up?

Basically

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Someone change all the maps quick, we're not an island!!

Funny how you left out the part of my post that said the North should have done the same.

That's not within our control. We share the island and can't determine what they do up North. The British Government has shown no willingness to ban flights, hence we can't stop flights coming to the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

That's not within our control. We share the island and can't determine what they do up North. The British Government has shown no willingness to ban flights, hence we can't stop flights coming to the island.

And to think, some people didn't want a hard border!

Ironicname wrote: »
    Half the people say we are fooked, half say we will be fine.

Truth is, nobody knows anything for sure.

Paddy's Day parade still on, a few more cases confirmed yesterday. 18 now in total.

On a personal level, I am terrified. I suffer from anxiety at the best of times but it's through the roof now.

It's a shame because we just found out a couple of weeks ago that my wife is expecting with our first child together. I'm also concerned about my elderly mother who is on the verge of tears every day when I speak to her.

Nothing we can do I suppose except take precautions and not be reckless but that doesn't ease my worries at all.

Firstly, congratulations to you and your wife.
    Secondly, this one is just for you
    giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f997ee7db0b6f3198a86909cc1bd06b5938b2ae5&rid=giphy.gif

I’ve been around since thread one and all the signs regarding the virus and pregnancy/childbirth are promising. If you have time I’d suggest leaving this thread and reading that one. There should be links in some posts that would help you.

If anyone has any links to pre natal info would you share it please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

If the idiots running both places had any common sense at all they would have known it was the right thing to do.
    I never said we had control over what they did, I said they should join us.
    I also never said anything about leaving tourists stranded but that didn't suit your reply either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I personally think this was probably the wrong decision alright, at least in the early stages.

Problem with making asymptomatic doctors/nurses self-isolate is that we're going to run out of healthcare professionals quite soon with such an approach. This thing is likely to spread quite rapidly and affect most hospitals. We already have a shortage of staff in many areas without any cover, soon we may not be able to have the luxury of keeping staff home despite showing no symptoms.

We just needed to isolate those who returned from hotspots and who travelled through airports in northern Italy.

Not isolating such people has led to hundreds being needlessly exposed.

A catastrophic mistake from the government and HSE.

Welcome back, Googly. What’s occurring on your side of the world!

Not much. Was meant to be back at work next week but it's confirmed off again.

The government's response to the new case in Hanoi pretty much confirms that they were being fully honest with their figures the last few weeks. The neighbourhood the girl lives in is under lockdown and they've closed the private hospital she went to. Even her doctor's tower block is quarantined. 200 people she's been in contact with are being tested and the addresses of everywhere she's visited have been released.

Can't believe we got infected by Italy. She lied about being there so there is an unbelievable amount of anger at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So it doubles every three to four days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Public hospital in Suzhou I had a bad throat infection so saw the doctor and they put me on IV drip - hospital was crowded but calm and orderly. In Shenzhen had an ear infection and needed ear syringed. Hospital very clean, not crowded, doctors and nurses even spoke english.

In Shanghai went to a private maternity hospital. Again it is crowded as it's China but well organised. Wife had to undergo treatment and it was clean. Obviously stuff happens like people queuing at the door eavesdropping but it doesn't harm anyone.

Also went for a number of health tests for jobs and it's very organised and fast.

Of course third tier city hospitals will not be as good and I have seen operating theatres in some parts of Jiangsu which are inadequate to say the least. But the original poster was talking about the biggest cities I believe.

Maybe you ought to get specific. Ever been to a hospital in Ireland?

So you went to a public hospital for a sore throat and a private hospital for everything else and you somehow think that’s comparable? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

inhale / exhale gif

is that an ebola?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ironicname wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's horrible

Just want to use this reply of yours, Ironicname, to demonstrate how catastrophic thinking exacerbates panic, and how changing thoughts (and practising stoicism) overcomes it.
    I also noticed my face seems much more itchy since trying to touch it less. One could think 'It's horrible", but that is escalating unhelpful thinking. For a while I tried itching my face on my upper arm, cuff of my jumper, etc. And then I thought FCUK ME EUREKA! I could make an absolute fortune by inventing sanitised disposable face itching sticks with tiny little hands on the ends! Felt much better then imagining my future billionaire status. :)

Don't worry too much, Ironicname. Congratulations on your great news

The government's response to the new case in Hanoi pretty much confirms that they were being fully honest with their figures the last few weeks. The neighbourhood the girl lives in is under lockdown and they've closed the private hospital she went to. Even her doctor's tower block is quarantined. 200 people she's been in contact with are being tested and the addresses of everywhere she's visited have been released.

Can't believe we got infected by Italy. She lied about being there so there is an unbelievable amount of anger at her.

Jeez. If she’d just been honest in the beginning she may have been given the 5 star treatment by every service available in the hope of containing it.

How you managing now with no income. How many weeks are you off now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So it doubles every three to four days

the amount of coronavirus threads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

The response by the Vietnamese government is in sharp contrast with the Irish government's policy of secrecy and hand-washing.

Jeez. If she’d just been honest in the beginning she may have been given the 5 star treatment by every service available in the hope of containing it.

How you managing now with no income. How many weeks are you off now?

Seven weeks off so far. Another few likely. I'm getting half pay which is pretty good for doing nothing, and this is actually good for my fledgling business. Signed up two new schools to my Learning Management System. I'm a disaster capitalist.

• Advertisement

For all those touching faces, think of nits!

NITS
    NITS
    NITS
    HEAD LICE
    HEAD LICE

Bet you’re scratching your heads now :D

You’re welcome x

NITS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We're not an island, we share a border with the UK.

Unless you close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers, then every single Irish person stranded in Italy is gonna fly home to Belfast and get the train/bus/taxi down.

The virus would still be here regardless of whether we stopped flights or not.

image.jpg

Actually... they did close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers when a highly infectious viral disease was threatening animal health.

But when human health and particularly our elderly and sick are threatened....

SFA

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/when-foot-and-mouth-disease-ground-ireland-to-a-halt-1.4075761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

NITS
    NITS
    NITS
    HEAD LICE
    HEAD LICE

I just pepper down my ass crack so will scratch there first. Anything to stop rubbing the face,

is that an ebola?

It’s a bat in a balloon carrying a baby corona, silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The government know jack sh1t. That's been clear for a while.

I'm fairly sure the doctor didnt ring Leo, Mary Lou or Danny Healy Rae and ask them could he work.

Stop with this f*ckin claptrap that the government advised him.

Just really goes to show you that people with an agenda really will believe and say what they like - ala Gemma O Doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm fairly sure the doctor didnt ring Leo, Mary Lou or Danny Healy Rae and ask them could he work.

Stop with this f*ckin claptrap that the government advised him.

Just really goes to show you that people with an agenda really will believe and say what they like - ala Gemma O Doherty

All true but the government are not proactive on containing the virus. They are more worried about the businesses than the vulnerable people to this virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

faceman wrote: »
    Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Have you been to these so called hospitals? I bet you haven’t.

There are many varying degrees of hospitals in China. The only ones with comparable health to the West are foreign run private hospitals. They’re far too costly for most local people.

Rural hospitals are a joke

These “well funded”’public hospitals you speak off. Name just one. You can’t can you?

Public hospitals are like airports. You queue up when you arrive and wait to be dealt with. Standards vary from hospital but even in major cities and even in the public hospitals you’d need to be going to the VIP areas. Even at that, it’s reasonably modern and standard of medics is higher than the public system

Make no bones about it, healthcare in China is NOT comparable with the western world.

I’ve visited China very regularly in the past and have attended a major hospital in a major city as a patient.

Actually hospitals in China are quite advanced, there is of course a huge population and hence they are very busy but in terms of tech, very modern, more so than here, obviously rural hospitals will be more basic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

All true but the government are not proactive on containing the virus. They are more worried about the businesses than the vulnerable people to this virus

You do realise a lot of vulnerable people work in those "businesses" and can't afford for the country to shut down and not allow them to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Firstly, congratulations to you and your wife.
    giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f997ee7db0b6f3198a86909cc1bd06b5938b2ae5&rid=giphy.gif

I’ve been around since thread one and all the signs regarding the virus and pregnancy/childbirth are promising. If you have time I’d suggest leaving this thread and reading that one. There should be links in some posts that would help you.

If anyone has any links to pre natal info would you share it please.
    Pregnant woman have lower immune system so I'd be asking a doctor for advice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

NITS
    NITS
    NITS
    HEAD LICE
    HEAD LICE

Bet you’re scratching your heads now :D

You’re welcome

NITS

Maybe u just have headlice?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement