Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Pregnant woman have lower immune system so I'd be asking a doctor for advice here.

Mortality rate for women is quite a significant amount lower than men also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

All true but the government are not proactive on containing the virus. They are more worried about the businesses than the vulnerable people to this virus

The HSE, who inform the response,are following advice from WHO. It is an overreaction to shut the country down because we have a handful of cases.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

Heckler wrote: »
    Christ almighty. Yes a bunch of people are going to die. Those in the vulnerable groups. This mastabatory "end of the world" , "wait till the bodies start piling up up", circle jerks calm yer heels. Not the Black Death that ye are all hoping for. I think the 6 rolls of kleenex will do ya. Its like a liveline show with the hysteria.

****ing idiots.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

In the end, many will get over the illness with little or minor difficulty, and most of the fatalaties are sure to be the elderly. But there will be tragedies, and the world will be scarred in a way that it has not known since the second world war. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

The HSE, who inform the response,are following advice from WHO. It is an overreaction to shut the country down because we have a handful of cases.

The point would be to keep it that way?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yes but this is a case of the frog and the pan.

Slowly as more cases along, we are obvious to realise where it's going. If last week, in one day we got 1000 cases, we would react differently. Just because we don't have the 1000 cases yet, doesn't mean that we don't do anything until we get there.

• Advertisement

boetstark wrote: »
    Dear God, what is wrong with Ireland as a country. Why do we always end up with imbeciles in charge during times of crisis.
    All rational evidence and expert opinions say curtail incoming flights and cancel mass gatherings.
    No, Comical Ali Holohan and Varadkar know better.
    We are being walked into a crisis once again by incompetence and ignorance,might as well put Paddy Neary in charge.

The variable at play now is how long the process can be delayed to increase the number of survivors. The HSE, in this event at least, is no better nor worse than the health services of other European countries. Effectively non can handle what is coming to us. No service has a built in capability to handle a ramp up in demand for it services, in a period of a few months, by a factory of 300-400. None. Criticism of the HSE is entirely unjustified, and just knee jerk bitching.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    The point would be to keep it that way?

It's easy transmitted, you aren't going to stop it spreading. We just need to keep the cases low so our health system can handle them, as is being done now. All off the back of WHO advise. It's amazing how many 'experts' and doomsayers are saying we should ignore world experts on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wadacrack wrote: »
    Mortality rate for women is quite a significant amount lower than men also

That's not really relevant.
    I'm sure the poster is concerned for the well-being of their unborn child.
    Any illnesses during the first trimester can possibly impact the unborn child more.
    I'm in the same boat here. I'd consider pregnant woman as in the 'vulnerable' group - this is why the flu vaccine is highly recommend for them.
    I really don't want my wife going anywhere as I'm fearing if she gets even mild symptoms (whatever 'mild' is) it may harm the baby as it's in first trimester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The variable at play now is how long the process can be delayed to increase the number of survivors. The HSE, in this event at least, is no better nor worse than the health services of other European countries. Effectively non can handle what is coming to us. No service has a built in capability to handle a ramp up in demand for it services, in a period of a few months, by a factory of 300-400. None. Criticism of the HSE is entirely unjustified, and just knee jerk bitching.

Only 3 posts right.

The HSE is a fooking mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gael23 wrote: »
    They are killed at 6 months I think

Yep, so theyre more like teenagers.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    In the meantime we have shut down nothing. Want to fly to and from infected regions? No bother! Want to return to work having came back from infected region? No bother! Want to cancel large gatherings of people because it's been shown to work elsewhere? Nah dont be stupid - sure we're Irish....

Ah sure it'll be grand ...

It wont be grand. But there is no point trying to do what cannot be done. It is better now to carry on as normal, for those who can.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

image.jpg

Actually... they did close the border with Northern Ireland with armed soldiers when a highly infectious viral disease was threatening animal health.

But when human health and particularly our elderly and sick are threatened....

SFA

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/when-foot-and-mouth-disease-ground-ireland-to-a-halt-1.4075761

I crossed the border repeatedly during that period and never saw any soldiers. I did meet Gardai and have my car sprayed, but no guns and I got through no problem.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Maybe we should invent a new extreme sport.

Stay in a wardrobe with someone who has Covid19 for 14 minutes 50 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

In the end, many will get over the illness with little or minor difficulty, and most of the fatalaties are sure to be the elderly. But there will be tragedies, and the world will be scarred in a way that it has not known since the second world war. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

Several million? Economic output will be ramped up into overtime to subside the loss, the Chinese are already in preparation. Yes, unfortunately there will be deaths, but your figures "for Ireland" are delusional
    Herd immunity would also kick in making your insane forecast impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

I'm opening a book on the first high profile politician to get it.

Varadkar?
    Harris?
    Coveney?
    McDonald?

Wouldn't it be the greatest irony if one of "em picked it up from known contact at a Paddy's Day parade. Tbh i think Mary Lou is the least likely. Nothing to do with political views but her rally cancellations and kids school issue would make me think she has more cop on about this than the twats who won't cancel mass gatherings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It wont be grand. But there is no point trying to do what cannot be done. It is better now to carry on as normal, for those who can.

Several million? Hahaha. So, you expect over 50% infection rate... Obvious trolling

123654789 wrote: »

Varadkar?
    Harris?
    Coveney?
    McDonald?

Wouldn't it be the greatest irony if one of "em picked it up from known contact at a Paddy's Day parade. Tbh i think Mary Lou is the least likely. Nothing to do with political views but her rally cancellations and kids school issue would make me think she has more cop on about this than the twats who won't cancel mass gatherings

All these parasites will be going on Junkets they won't be staying in Ireland do not delude yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

You are repeating your doomsday scenario from yesterday. We all could come up with worse case scenarios. Others are saying it is nothing and will have little effect The reality is that it will be somewhere in between so stop peddling the worst case scenario please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm not confident that all the 60 staff from the CUH will self isolate as instructed.
    I work close to the hospital and every morning I see dozens of staff, leaving or going to work wearing various coloured staff uniforms out on the street and on public transport. I emailed the hospital about 12 months ago questioning this and was told that hospital policy dictated that uniforms were not to be worn outside the hospital building for hygiene purposes so this rule is being flouted right, left and centre.
    Is everyone of those staff going to do what they're told for two weeks? I don't think so.
    What is is about people who think that the rules don't apply to them?

The diamond princess, a closed system, had 700 out of 4k infected and has had 6 deaths.

We will not have tens of thousands dead here, cop on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

123654789 wrote: »

Varadkar?
    Harris?
    Coveney?
    McDonald?

The parade is 10 days away,lot of time to cancel, it is of course a huge decision for varying reasons but if infections rise it will be cancelled. I am somewhat surprised Cheltenham in the UK is going ahead though

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

As this virus spreads, I’m quite surprised at the utter lack of empathy for the Chinese, Italians, Iranians, South Koreans, Japanese and many more. Everyone is concerned with minding their own patch and turning against each other to survive. Have we lost our humanity?
    As as for those I saw yesterday over filling your trolleys to the point you could barely wheel them out of the shop...cop on to yourselves. Ireland is a food secure nation as far as I know-producing 3/4 times the amount of food we would need?
    I can now understand why the HSE are being secretive, people seem to want to name and shame the infected, do a run on the supermarkets, and generally not behave in a compassionate or logical way with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mloc123 wrote: »
    Several million? Hahaha. So, you expect over 50% infection rate... Obvious trolling

I'm pretty sure the CMO in the UK warned up to 80% of the UK population could get it under their worse case scenario.

You are repeating your doomsday scenario from yesterday. We all could come up with worse case scenarios. Others are saying it is nothing and will have little effect The reality is that it will be somewhere in between so stop peddling the worst case scenario please.

Yes you are correct repeating the doomsday rubbish and saying all is fine with the HSE.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

There is absolutely zero evidence from anywhere to suggest “several million” will be infected here. Our cases so far are following the same projected graph as other countries. Several million is baseless

This is scaremongering and without any fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A short term shutdown prevents a very long term shutdown. We are slowly drifting towards the latter. China meanwhile adopted the first approach and have turned the corner. They are now isolating people coming from outside hotspots as they probably see that as the longer term problem.

The Chinese probably think we're crazy for going ahead with St Patricks parades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

The vast majority of people who have contracted COVID19 are recovering or recovered and are going about their daily business.

The HSE is following correctly the advice of the WHO-

..the hysteria and the ‘black death’ - ‘its the flu version of AIDS’ is causing mental health problems ie irrational anxiety rather than public health problems

- on the basis of this mentality we cannot shut down the country/EU and have economic collapse.

I’ll post the below again re the psychology of these type of incidents-

‘.....fear if based upon rumor or irresponsible speculation rather than knowledge, can be irrational and deadly if it leads to a distrust of healthcare authorities and worse yet hopelessness. If we distrust healthcare authorities, we are less likely to be compliant with critical recommendations that could curb the contagion of the virus. Thus more people would become infected and potentially die. If a sense of hopelessness descends we become numb, economic systems collapse, and once again we become medically non-compliant.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the CMO in the UK warned up to 80% of the UK population could get it under their worse case scenario.

Worst case being we all run around licking each other.

20% infection rate with adequate methods in place, which we have, 4% mortality of those 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not much. Was meant to be back at work next week but it's confirmed off again.

The government's response to the new case in Hanoi pretty much confirms that they were being fully honest with their figures the last few weeks. The neighbourhood the girl lives in is under lockdown and they've closed the private hospital she went to. Even her doctor's tower block is quarantined. 200 people she's been in contact with are being tested and the addresses of everywhere she's visited have been released.

Can't believe we got infected by Italy. She lied about being there so there is an unbelievable amount of anger at her.

People need to stop with this shit. The thing has happened. What will anger do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Yeah, if you have high anxiety levels, give this thread a miss.

Italy is a little over 2 weeks ahead of us re tested infection rates. I do think quarantine for folk coming from known hotspots is wise. I'd be including the U.S. in that, we're going to see focus shifting there and soon.

At the end of the day, it's contain and test what we can so that the rate of infection is delayed. That also means personal responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement