Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

All these parasites will be going on Junkets they won't be staying in Ireland do noy delude yourself.

Ah, so you're saying they'll pick it up on the plane then :pac:

It'd be interesting to compare parade destinations VS no. of cases in those countries and see who got shorter straws. Bet no one's fighting for the Italian junket!
    (Yeah i know there prob isnt one....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the CMO in the UK warned up to 80% of the UK population could get it under their worse case scenario.

Absolute worst case. And that was the far end of their worst case. It won’t be close to that.

That would be everyone just decides to sneeze on random people and they all continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

antodeco wrote: »
    Maybe we should invent a new extreme sport.

Stay in a wardrobe with someone who has Covid19 for 14 minutes 50 seconds.

Whilst someone recites "Ring-a-ring-o'-roses"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Just a note to Kermit.de.Frog

Firstly I fear the spread of COVID19 as I think it's well established here and will result in deaths. I'm not going to speculate about numbers. I fear for the elderly and those with underlying conditions like myself.

You have hardly missed a post on an update on the virus, from Honolulu to Iceland over the last week or so. There's an air of detachment to your posts that there's real people behind the news. You seem to be an 'event junkie'. You're treating this like the Beast from the East\Storm Emma. It's just the latest big news event and you're all over it. Where do you get the time..

I hope there's no malice behind it, because that's who you are. Because if there's any element of frightening people to your posting, to say it's bad form would be an understatement. A lot of people who are older or health hasn't gone their way are reading these threads, something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

A short term shutdown prevents a very long term shutdown. We are slowly drifting towards the latter. China meanwhile adopted the first approach and have turned the corner. They are now isolating people coming from outside hotspots as they probably see that as the longer term problem.

The Chinese probably think we're crazy for going ahead with St Patricks parades.

WHO does not recommend a shutdown, what makes you an expert to recommend we close the country off? Bearing in mind we share a hugely porous border with another country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm fairly sure the doctor didnt ring Leo, Mary Lou or Danny Healy Rae and ask them could he work.

Stop with this f*ckin claptrap that the government advised him.

Just really goes to show you that people with an agenda really will believe and say what they like - ala Gemma O Doherty

At least we know what the Doctor looks like now

12monkeys005.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well Saint Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland.
    I'm sure the celebrations held in his name can ward off some bits and bobs of genetic material that are (afair) not really "alive" (until they find a host).
    I myself am a panglossian, and will be out and about in Dublin city centre on the big day mingling, pressing the flesh and spending like a good citizen (once I'm over my hacking cough!:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Carol25 wrote: »
    As this virus spreads, I’m quite surprised at the utter lack of empathy for the Chinese, Italians, Iranians, South Koreans, Japanese and many more. Everyone is concerned with minding their own patch and turning against each other to survive. Have we lost our humanity?
    As as for those I saw yesterday over filling your trolleys to the point you could barely wheel them out of the shop...cop on to yourselves. Ireland is a food secure nation as far as I know-producing 3/4 times the amount of food we would need?
    I can now understand why the HSE are being secretive, people seem to want to name and shame the infected, do a run on the supermarkets, and generally not behave in a compassionate or logical way with this.

Top virtue signalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm not confident that all the 60 staff from the CUH will self isolate as instructed.
    I work close to the hospital and every morning I see dozens of staff, leaving or going to work wearing various coloured staff uniforms out on the street and on public transport. I emailed the hospital about 12 months ago questioning this and was told that hospital policy dictated that uniforms were not to be worn outside the hospital building for hygiene purposes so this rule is being flouted right, left and centre.
    Is everyone of those staff going to do what they're told for two weeks? I don't think so.
    What is is about people who think that the rules don't apply to them?

Also people who were in the hospital visiting/bringing patients into the hospital were told not to go to work the next day too. Not sure on the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

People need to stop with this shit. The thing has happened. What will anger do?

she knowingly endangered and possibly has caused the deaths of people, a manslaughter charge could result from that behaviour, how do you think she should be treated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

As this virus spreads, I’m quite surprised at the utter lack of empathy for the Chinese, Italians, Iranians, South Koreans, Japanese and many more. Everyone is concerned with minding their own patch and turning against each other to survive. Have we lost our humanity?

Am I more interested in looking after my own family? Damn right I am.

China etc problem is their problem.

We need to look at our own problems which we have many:

We need to close our border ie airports, etc

We need to cancel public events like St Patrick’s day parades as it will lead to people coming in from infected countries and will lead to an increase in cases here.

We have an absolutely crippled HSE / hospital / GP services system that is going to find it nigh on impossible to deal with an outbreak.

We can’t even supply soap and sanitizer in our supermarkets ffs.

So yes I’m far more concerned about our own problems than other countries. This is a serious issue that people don’t seem to care about. People still fly here and there without a care in the world.

We can still contain the spread here but it’s looking very unlikely due to a serious inaction from our heads of state and the stupidity of people.

I know people in work who are saying they’ll still go to Tenerife or enter other place with infected case because they paid for their holiday and screw everyone else.

Ignorance and selfishness has lead us this far worldwide and will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Yes you are correct repeating the doomsday rubbish and saying all is fine with the HSE.:D

He is probably just trolling . I suggest we all just ignore him from now on:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

she knowingly endangered and possibly has caused the deaths of people, a manslaughter charge could result from that behaviour, how do you think she should be treated ?

You know all this from 1 post on boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Only 3 posts right.

The HSE is a fooking mess.

People on this thread are looking for any excuse to bitch about the HSE. For example, cancelling elective surgeries is imminently sensible (anyone post surgery is more vulnerable to infection) and people were still giving out about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the basic strategy is you will probably get coronavirus, just don't get it all at the same time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

People on this thread are looking for any excuse to bitch about the HSE. For example, cancelling elective surgeries is imminently sensible and people were giving out about that.

The HSE is a fooking mess everybody knows it.

People do not need an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just back from Tesco and Lidl.
    About 5 in the queue at one check out.
    Guy in the queue has a €50 in his hand.
    Next he leans back and launches a big sneeze that hurled him forward.
    Did nothing to block his sneeze.
    Then wipes his face with the hand that's holding the 50.
    Proceeds and hands the 50 to the check out girl.
    She then carries on putting people's items through. :o

On a plus, there was plenty of Jack's paper in both shops.
    The old sheriff's badge can continue to be polished for now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The HSE, who inform the response,are following advice from WHO. It is an overreaction to shut the country down because we have a handful of cases.

I listened to the last WHO press conference... They said that their advice and recommendations are not written in stone like the 12 commandments. They are to be adjusted to fit the local circumstances.

Putting on the blinkers, repeating the mantra about the containment phase and ignoring what is happening on the island next door is IMHO really stupid.

We should be proactive rather than reactive.

EScwR60XQAA3XYk.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Just a note to Kermit.de.Frog

Firstly I fear the spread of COVID19 as I think it's well established here and will result in deaths. I'm not going to speculate about numbers. I fear for the elderly and those with underlying conditions like myself.

You have hardly missed a post on an update on the virus, from Honolulu to Iceland over the last week or so. There's an air of detachment to your posts that there's real people behind the news. You seem to be an 'event junkie'. You're treating this like the Beast from the East\Storm Emma. It's just the latest big news event and you're all over it. Where do you get the time..

I hope there's no malice behind it, because that's who you are. Because if there's any element of frightening people to your posting, to say it's bad form would be an understatement. A lot of people who are older or health hasn't gone their way are reading these threads, something to bear in mind.

Agree totally.
    But maybe this is Kermit's way of coping with fear?

BUT speaking as an older and vulnerable person ( serious health issues as well as old age) a lot is up to each of us. I was already in what they are now calling "self isolation" because an infection could easily see me off, and I have no desire to quit life yet, and we can all stay apart more? Make these choices. Most shops etc deliver, and An Post are excellent.

Fear can be dispelled by practical action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

60 people infected in the North of Spain seem to have all been at the same funeral or at least the spread can be traced back to that funeral (article in Spanish): https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-06/mas-de-60-personas-se-contagiaron-a-la-vez-en-un-funeral-en-vitoria.html

It really astounds me that large scale events aren't being cancelled at home. Here, countless conferences have been cancelled. My fiancee was going to go to a national dentist's conference which has been cancelled. There was the international tech event in Barcelona that got cancelled too. I don't understand why, with people already getting infected back home, they are not cancelling the Paddy's day celebrations. It really is not worth it given how easily this virus can spread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Am I more interested in looking after my own family? Damn right I am.

China etc problem is their problem.

We need to look at our own problems which we have many:

We need to close our border ie airports, etc

We need to cancel public events like St Patrick’s day parades as it will lead to people coming in from infected countries and will lead to an increase in cases here.

We have an absolutely crippled HSE / hospital / GP services system that is going to find it nigh on impossible to deal with an outbreak.

We can’t even supply soap and sanitizer in our supermarkets ffs.

So yes I’m far more concerned about our own problems than other countries. This is a serious issue that people don’t seem to care about. People still fly here and there without a care in the world.

We can still contain the spread here but it’s looking very unlikely due to a serious inaction from our heads of state and the stupidity of people.

I know people in work who are saying they’ll still go to Tenerife or enter other place with infected case because they paid for their holiday and screw everyone else.

Ignorance and selfishness has lead us this far worldwide and will continue.

On the travel thing. They should legislate for a refund for anyone who wants it for both flights and accommodation.

At my work they are making people that have travelled to a list of countries including Spain to self isolate on return. I know a couple of people from work going to spain in the coming weeks. Management have said they can go as they have it already booked before the policy was introduced. However they will have to self isolate for two weeks on return, paid as well, so an extra two weeks off work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

At least we know what the Doctor looks like now

12monkeys005.jpg

...and why he flies around the world by himself in the Tardis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I listened to the last WHO press conference... They said that their advice and recommendations are not written in stone like the 12 commandments. They are to be adjusted to fit the local circumstances.

Putting on the blinkers, repeating the mantra about the containment phase and ignoring what is happening on the island next door is IMHO really stupid.

We should be proactive rather than reactive.

EScwR60XQAA3XYk.jpg:large

What, so we should blockade the country? How would that work, exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

A great man once said and it may be relevant here

Fear leads to anger,, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

- Hot off the press -
    Saturday 7th March.

China 80,651

S. Korea 6,767
    Iran 4,747
    Italy 4,636

Diamond Princess 696

Germany 670
    France 653
    Japan 420
    Spain 402
    USA 335
    Switzerland 216
    United Kingdon 164
    Sweden 137
    Singapore 130
    Norway 129
    Netherlands 128
    Belgium 109
    Hong Kong 108
    Malaysia 83
    Austria 66
    Australia 64
    Bahrain 60
    Kuwait 58
    Canada 54
    Thailand 48
    Iraq 46
    Taiwan 45
    Greece 45
    Iceland 45
    UAE 45
    India 31
    San Marino 23
    Denmark 23
    Lebanon 22
    Israel 21
    Czechia 19
    Ireland 18
    Algeria 17
    Vietnam 17
    Oman 16
    Palestine 16
    Egypt 15
    Finland 15
    Brazil 14
    Ecuador 14
    Portugal 13
    Russia 13
    Croatia 11
    Qatar 11
    Macao 10
    Estonia 10
    Azerbaijan 9
    Georgia 9
    Romania 9
    Argentina 8
    Slovenia 8
    Belarus 6
    Mexico 6
    Pakistan 6
    Philippines 5
    New Zealand 5
    Saudi Arabia 5
    Chile 5
    Poland 5
    Indonesia 4
    Senegal 4
    Hungary 4
    Luxembourg 3
    North Macedonia 3
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 3
    Dominican Republic 2
    Morocco 2
    Cameroon 2
    Afghanistan 1
    Andorra 1
    Armenia 1
    Cambodia
    Jordan 1
    Latvia 1
    Lithuania 1
    Monaco 1
    Nepal 1
    Nigeria 1
    Sri Lanka 1
    Tunisia 1
    Ukraine 1
    Bhutan 1
    Colombia 1
    Costa Rica 1
    Gibraltar 1
    Vatican City 1
    Liechtenstein 1
    Peru 1
    Serbia 1
    Slovakia 1
    South Africa 1
    Togo 1

=================
    Link with full detail:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

As as for those I saw yesterday over filling your trolleys to the point you could barely wheel them out of the shop...cop on to yourselves. Ireland is a food secure nation as far as I know-producing 3/4 times the amount of food we would need?
    I can now understand why the HSE are being secretive, people seem to want to name and shame the infected, do a run on the supermarkets, and generally not behave in a compassionate or logical way with this.

This is what happens, people rush to protect themselves and their families, it's human nature.

If you think the fact that we are food secure is comforting, think about everything that happens during that supply chain and were people to get sick or decide to stay at home, that all collapses fairly quickly.

If anything times like this prove how fragile society and humanity are and they can break down very fast.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

People on this thread are looking for any excuse to bitch about the HSE. For example, cancelling elective surgeries is imminently sensible (anyone post surgery is more vulnerable to infection) and people were still giving out about that.

I 100% agree that cancelling those surgeries is a foresight measure and the right one to make.

The problem I have with the HSE is they have a history of hiding things and f*coming things up. People have short memories in relation to the cervical cancer scandal. Have they learned from this? Time will tell. People are are afraid that they haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

- Hot off the press -
    Saturday 7th March.

China 80,651

S. Korea 6,767
    Iran 4,747
    Italy 4,636

Diamond Princess 696

Germany 670
    France 653
    Japan 420
    Spain 402
    USA 335
    Switzerland 216
    United Kingdon 164
    Sweden 137
    Singapore 130
    Norway 129
    Netherlands 128
    Belgium 109
    Hong Kong 108
    Malaysia 83
    Austria 66
    Australia 64
    Bahrain 60
    Kuwait 58
    Canada 54
    Thailand 48
    Iraq 46
    Taiwan 45
    Greece 45
    Iceland 45
    UAE 45
    India 31
    San Marino 23
    Denmark 23
    Lebanon 22
    Israel 21
    Czechia 19
    Ireland 18
    Algeria 17
    Vietnam 17
    Oman 16
    Palestine 16
    Egypt 15
    Finland 15
    Brazil 14
    Ecuador 14
    Portugal 13
    Russia 13
    Croatia 11
    Qatar 11
    Macao 10
    Estonia 10
    Azerbaijan 9
    Georgia 9
    Romania 9
    Argentina 8
    Slovenia 8
    Belarus 6
    Mexico 6
    Pakistan 6
    Philippines 5
    New Zealand 5
    Saudi Arabia 5
    Chile 5
    Poland 5
    Indonesia 4
    Senegal 4
    Hungary 4
    Luxembourg 3
    North Macedonia 3
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 3
    Dominican Republic 2
    Morocco 2
    Cameroon 2
    Afghanistan 1
    Andorra 1
    Armenia 1
    Cambodia
    Jordan 1
    Latvia 1
    Lithuania 1
    Monaco 1
    Nepal 1
    Nigeria 1
    Sri Lanka 1
    Tunisia 1
    Ukraine 1
    Bhutan 1
    Colombia 1
    Costa Rica 1
    Gibraltar 1
    Vatican City 1
    Liechtenstein 1
    Peru 1
    Serbia 1
    Slovakia 1
    South Africa 1
    Togo 1

=================
    Let’s all go to Togo , Let’s all go to Togo, la la la la!

After all is said and done people should remember that the Govt made absolutely no attempt to stop or contain this..none whatsoever

We shouldn't put up with a government like this. Let's all take a stand and vote them out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

As as for those I saw yesterday over filling your trolleys to the point you could barely wheel them out of the shop...cop on to yourselves. Ireland is a food secure nation as far as I know-producing 3/4 times the amount of food we would need? .

Not altogether reassuring for the worriers. Food still has to be produced, processed packaged and delivered to supermarkets by people. It doesn't just appear on the shelves. So hopefully there'll be enough people about during the spread to do all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement