Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

PhantomHat wrote: »
    On Newstalk now they're saying doctors are against the government decision to belt on with St. Patrick's day parades

Doctors for Borders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ZX7R wrote: »
    The toilet paper stuff.
    That can be traced back to redit .
    During the early days of the outbreak
    It was stated that less than 0•01% were getting diarrhoea some idiot made up graphs and stated China made most of the world's toilet paper.
    It was totally fake and disproved.
    But for some reason people still believe
    People have got it in to their heads that they won't get to the shops for months and for some people TP is essential as the daily mail/Sun isn't the most pleasant for cleaning one's arse

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

France have been saying that for the last 2 weeks, but yet large events still go ahead over there

'unstoppable'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You were quoting Trump last night if I'm not mistaken

No not quoting Trump.
    I thanked him on everyone's behalf for signing an 8 billion dollar bill to fight the virus and create a vaccine.

It might just save your life

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People have got it in to their heads that they won't get to the shops for months and for some people TP is essential as the daily mail/Sun isn't the most pleasant for cleaning one's arse
    Oddly satisfying, but don't use the online versions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

France have been saying that for the last 2 weeks, but yet large events still go ahead over there

*Gallic shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/iranian-mp-dies-from-covid-19-report-12512732
    Another member of Iranian govenment has died. Is this the 4th MP in Iran to die of coronavirus ?

Apparently there has been about 30-40 high profile deaths in Iran. There official death figures seem to be way off. As of yesterday, the unofficial death toll was 648

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/iranian-mp-dies-from-covid-19-report-12512732
    Another member of Iranian govenment has died. Is this the 4th MP in Iran to die of coronavirus ?

They didn't acknowledge the problem early enough and allowed it get out of control ðŸ™

Bigger concern I'd say is Turkey imo with zero cases.

Same as Iran couple of weeks a go, it's not credible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wibbs wrote: »

Youll be picking pixels out of your ars€ for 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Wombatman wrote: »
    I'm think it would be a bad idea to go to the gym while this is around.

I suspect I'm just fooling myself so I can avoid the toil.

Same here even though I think I'm being overly paranoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think we would look ridiculous going ahead with parades.

I don't think it will go down well either with other countries who are trying to contain it to be perfectly honest.
    Optics might not be great, but there are still millions of soccer and rugby fans traveling and congregating to sit in stadiums this weekend
    Cheltenam is still happening next week...
    Europe as a whole has not taken measures to contain this, not just Ireland

(Sorry, my bad, the premiership has banned pre match handshakes so all is well)

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Its a dry cough you need to watch out for not chesty.

Not doubting you but source please? Surely you could have a dry cough from the chest? By chesty I presume you mean a wheezy phlegmy chest? Hope you are right as I do have that with plenty of phlegm coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

This seems a bit mad journalists and hse pr at each other’s throats

https://twitter.com/EavanMurray/status/1235921702971944962?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Not doubting you but source please? Surely you could have a dry cough from the chest? By chesty I presume you mean a wheezy phlegmy chest? Hope you are right as I do have that with plenty of phlegm coming out

Symptoms associated with COVID-19 are cough, high temperature, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.

Doesn't say flu like symptoms or specify type of cough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd cancel The Script if I could. I know someone going to see them. I'm terrified of this person contracting covid-19 and passing it on to my mother who is in her late 80s. Before anyone says anything about there being a tiny percent chance of this happening I couldn't give a shite.

If someone said to me "you can see your favourite band in the world but there's a 0.00001 percent chance your mother will die as a result. Do you want to go?" my reply would be "fuck, no".

I'd cancel them too if I could, nothing to do with the virus though mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It’s a lower respiratory infection so this means things like runny nose, sore throat, sinus and stuffy ears are not associated

‘Chesty’ cough is a lower respiratory infection so it is a symptom of Covid 19

It is actually but would chafe badly I'd imagine for everyday use :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'd cancel The Script if I could. I know someone going to see them. I'm terrified of this person contracting covid-19 and passing it on to my mother who is in her late 80s. Before anyone says anything about there being a tiny percent chance of this happening I couldn't give a shite.

If someone said to me "you can see your favourite band in the world but there's a 0.00001 percent chance your mother will die as a result. Do you want to go?" my reply would be "fuck, no".

0.00001% is a one in ten million chance. There is probably that chance of your 80 odd year old mother dying every time you head out for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I’ve had that cold for weeks now. Started as a cold about three weeks ago, sore ear and snortery, developed into chesty phelmy piece of sh1t.

I’ll probably end up going to the doctor for an antibiotic as I have an operation in a couple of weeks I need to be clear for. Otherwise I’d just see it out. It’s the time of year for colds.

If you had a flu you’d know all about it. I’ve only had them a few times and by god do you know about it when you get them.

I was ****in hallucinating because my temperature was so high once. The floor was made of ****in sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

In H. G. Wells science fiction novel ‘ The War of the Worlds’ invading Martians are eventually "slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth": microbes.

Wouldn't it be something if Trump's assault on decency, truth, democracy and on the planet's future was halted by a virus.

Maybe some good might come from this terrible unfolding disaster after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PSG game tonight has been called off due to the virus.

So much contradictory nonsense coming out from the HSE. Only one case of community transmission in Cork? What about the three additional cases in West Clare that had contact with the notorious doctor. They weren't in northern Italy, perhaps it was stale water from a holy well? Maddening lack of transparency, and the flights in and out of Ireland to infected areas continue. It's the economy Leo, who gives a damn about the elderly or those with compromised immune systems. And let's now welcome thousands of Italians for an event cancelled weeks ago. "Quarantine" my eye. Inept middle-management in HSE without the faintest foggiest notion in the world. Thankfully as a faceless organisation not one person will be held accountable. Watch the covid-19 numbers explode in the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Trumps comments last night were jaw droppingly unbelievable. Over the course of a rambling session touring a CDC facility he said;

His preference would be to leave the cruise ship infected on the ship as he didnt want them to affect "the numbers" and they "werent our fault". He said this a few times.

He said anyone who needed a test could get one. This a straight up lie. The US / CDC messed up testing kits massively and still wont enough kits until next week.

He randomly attacked democrats in the middle of talking about the coronavirus.

Randomly dropped in that his phone call with ukraine was perfect.

Repeatedly talked about how many people die of the flu every year.

talked about how everyone thinks he knows a lot about this virus ( something about his "genius" uncle who was a doctor)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From what I've read from reliable medical sources if you do get symptoms from Covid19 the consistent ones are fever, breathlessness, cough, with little or no upper respiratory involvement, so no snotty nose, runny eyes. If it progresses to the serious stages breathlessness increases and breath sounds start to sound like crinkled paper being rustled as pneumonia sets in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

The WHO website ....though they do say runny nose and congestion are possible symptoms and if so then that could lead to a chesty cough if you have post nasal drip so don't know why they are specifying a dry cough.... So I take it back and apologies, the symptoms they are listing are a little contradictory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1235623296923840520?s=20

Because we're a week or two behind, we're not yet being fed this narrative by our overlords.

I still clearly remember a statement of the French health minister in January saying there was virtually no chance of the virus reaching France or Europe.

In early February they were saying it would just be limited to a few imported cases and wouldn’t widely spread to the general public. So no need to take specific measures.

Comes March: they say the epidemic is unstoppable.

Well, that was proactive governance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The entire world is focused on stopping this

Four research teams at Columbia University will share a $2.1 million grant to mount an aggressive effort to identify potential antiviral drugs and antibodies for use against the new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV. The funding was awarded by the Jack Ma Foundation, based in Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China. As part of the project, the Columbia scientists will collaborate with academic researchers in China who are fighting to control the outbreak.

The Columbia teams will pursue four different approaches to develop drugs or antibodies that prevent the virus from replicating. Each approach will draw on prior knowledge and expertise the scientists gained while working on successful antiviral therapies against HIV and hepatitis C.
    The Columbia effort is being led by David D. Ho, MD, founding scientific director of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center and professor of medicine at Columbia. Three of the Columbia teams are in the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the fourth is in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

Full article here:https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/columbia-university-researchers-awarded-2-million-identify-antiviral-drugs-new-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

From what I've read from reliable medical sources if you do get symptoms from Covid19 the consistent ones are fever, breathlessness, cough, with little or no upper respiratory involvement, so no snotty nose, runny eyes. If it progresses to the serious stages breathlessness increases and breath sounds start to sound like crinkled paper being rustled as pneumonia sets in.

Great start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Just a note to Kermit.de.Frog

Firstly I fear the spread of COVID19 as I think it's well established here and will result in deaths. I'm not going to speculate about numbers. I fear for the elderly and those with underlying conditions like myself.

You have hardly missed a post on an update on the virus, from Honolulu to Iceland over the last week or so. There's an air of detachment to your posts that there's real people behind the news. You seem to be an 'event junkie'. You're treating this like the Beast from the East\Storm Emma. It's just the latest big news event and you're all over it. Where do you get the time..

I hope there's no malice behind it, because that's who you are. Because if there's any element of frightening people to your posting, to say it's bad form would be an understatement. A lot of people who are older or health hasn't gone their way are reading these threads, something to bear in mind.

Kermit does tend to lean towards the dramatic side of things as I've learnt from following the weather forum for many years now - and I'm not here to defend his posts. I dont think its entirely fair to single him out here though. Some people can be quite detached. They take a helicopter view of things and are intrigued by patterns and numbers and possible outcomes. And sometimes they put a rather theatrical spin on things. Having the time and energy to devote yourself to the observation of this current situation should not be seen as a character flaw.

We have posters on here that encompass the whole spectrum of emotions, from the "ah sure it'll be grand" end right down to the "sheet we all gonna die" position at the other end.

In real life we all have a responsibility to make sure that the elderly and vulnerable are kept informed and protected. It would be an awful situation if this thread was the only source of information for anyone in that category. There are many better resources out there than this one. I'm enjoying the thread. I'm not enjoying the virus or its consequences...whatever they eventually turn out to be.

• Advertisement

If you had a flu you’d know all about it. I’ve only had them a few times and by god do you know about it when you get them.
    And again with this bloody myth. FFS. This kinda stuff was understandable before the internet, but now all people need to do is google and read. To save time:

Approximately 33% of people with influenza are asymptomatic.[23][24]

Symptoms of influenza can start quite suddenly one to two days after infection. Usually the first symptoms are chills and body aches, but fever is also common early in the infection, with body temperatures ranging from 38 to 39 °C (approximately 100 to 103 °F).[25] Many people are so ill that they are confined to bed for several days, with aches and pains throughout their bodies, which are worse in their backs and legs.[26]

Note the first sentence. Yes many people are floored by it, but others suffer milder symptoms and a third have no symptoms at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement