Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Not doubting you but source please? Surely you could have a dry cough from the chest? By chesty I presume you mean a wheezy phlegmy chest? Hope you are right as I do have that with plenty of phlegm coming out
    The WHO say dry cough but the HSE just say cough.

I think a lot of people would struggle to differentiate, so the HSE advise is easier to follow.
    who wrote:
    The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea.
    hse wrote:
    The most common symptoms of coronavirus are:

a cough
    shortness of breath
    breathing difficulties
    fever (high temperature)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Directly from WHO Website:
    The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

Its a bit contradictory re dry cough and runny nose and congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No not quoting Trump.
    I thanked him on everyone's behalf for signing an 8 billion dollar bill to fight the virus and create a vaccine.

It might just save your life

They had to fight Trump to get that who only wanted a billion and then 2.5 billion.

He also got the death toll wrong at a press conference yesterday. Said last week that the "15 cases could go down to 0, who knows?" - The head of CDC who just told you that wouldn't happen.

:rolleyes:

His brain is basically pudding, he should be parked in one of his golf clubs for the next couple of months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Weepsie wrote: »
    Which is tough for some people to differentiate. I when I have a chesty cough have absolutely zero problem hacking up whatever is stuck there.

People I know can't though, think it's a dry cough when in fact they've a big ol' massive amount of phlegm just sitting there that they can't hack

Running a temperature with the cough should help differentiate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So much contradictory nonsense coming out from the HSE. Only one case of community transmission in Cork? What about the three additional cases in West Clare that had contact with the notorious doctor.

AFAIK they say 'community transmission' when they can't trace the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I woke myself up coughing and haven't stopped since. Dry cough too.

That's literally the only symptom I have and I feel absolutely fine otherwise so I'm sure it's nothing. Still, was supposed to be working in my brother's car dealership today and I've told him I'm going to stay at home just in case. I don't want to be *that* person.

Annoying, though, cause it would have been a few extra bob.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

Because we're a week or two behind, we're not yet being fed this narrative by our overlords.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The HSE have a terrible job right now. There's an incoming health crisis that they will have to deal with and put put some order on it.

Having media and the public on their backs for this and that and the other and people getting their knickers in a twist. They have their failings no doubt but that's more government policies.

We are dealing with exceptional circumstances here. I know when I've been into hospital, nurses would be wearing their uniform, they would wear a disposable apron and gloves carrying out procedures. When all this Corona contagious viral thing kicking off a few weeks ago, it was unknown to people. Basically what I'm saying is that, people went into work as nurses as an example and they weren't geared up for what this is like wearing face protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Boggles wrote: »
    They had to fight Trump to get that who only wanted a billion and then 2.5 billion.

He also got the death toll wrong at a press conference yesterday. Said last week that the "15 cases could go down to 0, who knows?" - The head of CDC who just told you that wouldn't happen.

His brain is basically pudding, he should be parked in one of his golf clubs for the next couple of months.

The Trump (bashing) thread is over that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wibbs wrote: »
    And again with this bloody myth. FFS. This kinda stuff was understandable before the internet, but now all people need to do is google and read. To save time:

Approximately 33% of people with influenza are asymptomatic.[23][24]

Symptoms of influenza can start quite suddenly one to two days after infection. Usually the first symptoms are chills and body aches, but fever is also common early in the infection, with body temperatures ranging from 38 to 39 °C (approximately 100 to 103 °F).[25] Many people are so ill that they are confined to bed for several days, with aches and pains throughout their bodies, which are worse in their backs and legs.[26]

Note the first sentence. Yes many people are floored by it, but others suffer milder symptoms and a third have no symptoms at all.

I think it’s when people say “got a bit of a flu, it’s not that bad” or something like that, it’s kind of annoying if you have had a bad dose.

I’ve had a bad dose and it’s laughable when people say it’s not that bad. So technically speaking you are right, but anybody who hasn’t had bad symptoms doesnt really know what it’s like to have a severe flu, but most presume it’s not that bad , therefore presume you are over stating how bad it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

Amirani wrote: »
    I personally think this was probably the wrong decision alright, at least in the early stages.

Problem with making asymptomatic doctors/nurses self-isolate is that we're going to run out of healthcare professionals quite soon with such an approach. This thing is likely to spread quite rapidly and affect most hospitals. We already have a shortage of staff in many areas without any cover, soon we may not be able to have the luxury of keeping staff home despite showing no symptoms.

The doctor, and family, had returned from Italian destination not in at risk area.

Should all persons from countries with cases now be restricted from travel

Should people on the island of Ireland now be restricted from travel outside of island, and should outsiders be denied entry.

You cant close down world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

froog wrote: »
    Trumps comments last night were jaw droppingly unbelievable. Over the course of a rambling session touring a CDC facility he said;

His preference would be to leave the cruise ship infected on the ship as he didnt want them to affect "the numbers" and they "werent our fault". He said this a few times.

He said anyone who needed a test could get one. This a straight up lie. The US / CDC messed up testing kits massively and still wont enough kits until next week.

He randomly attacked democrats in the middle of talking about the coronavirus.

Randomly dropped in that his phone call with ukraine was perfect.

Repeatedly talked about how many people die of the flu every year.

talked about how everyone thinks he knows a lot about this virus ( something about his "genius" uncle who was a doctor)

Trump does not seem to recognize that the usual bluster, bluff, bullying and bullsh*tting will have absolutely no effect on the virus spread.

His anti-expert anti-science stance is really coming back to bite him in the ass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tootsie_1 wrote: »

Its a bit contradictory re dry cough and runny nose and congestion.
    Just musing here, but could how someone is infected cause the different symptoms in some? So if the virus first enters through the nose or eyes you get more head involvement than those who directly breathe it in?

In the end though the dangerous symptom and the one to take action for is surely the breathlessness and difficulty in breathing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

Do you have evidence for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Semantics I know but it can cause panic

To me several is a number greater than 5/6

A few is about 3

And a couple is 2

Whats Irelands population?

I wouldn't worry too much. He has no say. They just wanted him to sign the piece of paper releasing the money. 8 billion now pledged.
    The CDC are running the show on this.

I'd be more concerned about the abilities of the HSE if I were you.
    The CDC won't save us. We are relying the hse here. A department that can't run a healthcare system day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

In H. G. Wells science fiction novel ‘ The War of the Worlds’ invading Martians are eventually "slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth": microbes.

Wouldn't it be something if Trump's assault on decency, truth, democracy and on the planet's future was halted by a virus.

Maybe some good might come from this terrible unfolding disaster after all.

Not just Trump, also Boris and FG here, a reminder of how fragile we are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trump does not seem to recognize that the usual bluster, bluff, bullying and bullsh*tting will have absolutely no effect on the virus spread.

His anti-expert anti-science stance is really coming back to bite him in the ass.
    Trump is a PT Barnum level huckster and a good one, but outside that skillset he's a total bloody moron.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not just Trump, also Boris and FG here, a reminder of how fragile we are.

We if it's taking out them, it's taking out all of us.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Its a dry cough you need to watch out for not chesty.
    Some people do produce phlegm with it, that is darker and thicker than normal.

I have been myself for days now and am also wondering if I have it (for other reasons as well). Not bad enough to be hospitalized so I doubt I'll ever know short of a diagnosis after a subsequent infection.

I think there is a bug that produces similar symptoms doing the rounds though. There were some people who were expected to test positive but did not. So I take it they displayed the symptoms of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Weepsie wrote: »
    I still can't believe there's no cross party talks here.

FG are afraid of pissing off business
    FF are just rambking about talking about forming government (not the time)

In fairness FF are trying to get things moving, it's FG who are playing hard to get (for now)
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0305/1120318-dail-second-meeting/

PhantomHat wrote: »
    The Trump (bashing) thread is over that way

Projecting fear. Whatever helps some folk cope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They had to fight Trump ..........

giphy.gif

I love this. Every time I see Trump now I will just think “his brain is basically pudding”.... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

From what I've read from reliable medical sources if you do get symptoms from Covid19 the consistent ones are fever, breathlessness, cough, with little or no upper respiratory involvement, so no snotty nose, runny eyes. If it progresses to the serious stages breathlessness increases and breath sounds start to sound like crinkled paper being rustled as pneumonia sets in.

How long does symptoms last?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Bob24 wrote: »
    I still clearly remember a statement of the French health minister in January saying there was virtually no chance of the virus reaching France or Europe.

In early February they were saying it would just be limited to a few imported cases and wouldn’t widely spread to the general public. So no need to take specific measures.

Comes March: they say the epidemic is unstoppable.

Well, that was proactive governance!

Our clowns are the same, but their statements 'unlikely to spread in Ireland', 'likely to be community transmission in the next few weeks' blow up in their face within hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I wouldn't worry too much. He has no say. They just wanted him to sign the piece of paper releasing the money. 8 billion now pledged.
    The CDC are running the show on this.

I'd be more concerned about the abilities of the HSE if I were you.
    The CDC won't save us. We are relying the hse here. A department that can't run a healthcare system day to day.

I have family in America so I will be concerned what that idiot says if you don't mind.

Also The American health system makes the HSE look world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

owlbethere wrote: »
    I woke up with a cough and feeling chesty. I'm paranoid now. I don't feel sick. My movements have been fairly limited throughout the winter. I only made it into town once since Christmas. All my other movements have been local.

I bought a fancy thermometer during swine flu. No high temp. It's 36.6.

Fecking paranoid.

#MeToo!! Have a slight sore throat but sneezing too so it's probably just a cold. Lashing the garlic, vitamin C, D and zinc into me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Just musing here, but could how someone is infected cause the different symptoms in some? So if the virus first enters through the nose or eyes you get more head involvement than those who directly breathe it in?

In the end though the dangerous symptom and the one to take action for is surely the breathlessness and difficulty in breathing.

No Idea myself I would think less severe cases would have runny nose and congestion so more like a cold and maybe the more sever cases have fever , problems breathing etc . again just my own thoughts . And then you will get everyone with a sniffle thinking they have it and panic. I heard a few pharmacies in Cork yesterday were out the door busy with people panicking and wanting there temps taken (not the pharmacy or pharmacist job mind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

So much contradictory nonsense coming out from the HSE. Only one case of community transmission in Cork? What about the three additional cases in West Clare that had contact with the notorious doctor. They weren't in northern Italy, perhaps it was stale water from a holy well? Maddening lack of transparency, and the flights in and out of Ireland to infected areas continue. It's the economy Leo, who gives a damn about the elderly or those with compromised immune systems. And let's now welcome thousands of Italians for an event cancelled weeks ago. "Quarantine" my eye. Inept middle-management in HSE without the faintest foggiest notion in the world. Thankfully as a faceless organisation not one person will be held accountable. Watch the covid-19 numbers explode in the next fortnight.

A new body has been announced to tackle this crisis. All of the leading lights from the main political parties, public bodies and Departments. Luminaries who are driving the National Broadband Scheme, the Childrens's Hospital, the cancer screening services. Plus secondments from housing policy strategists.
    The Irish National Emergency Planning Team.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you...

The INEPT.

We have nothing to fear. But fear itself. Going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Running a temperature with the cough should help differentiate

The one thing stopping me worrying too much about my chest infection without a head cold is the fact that I have no fever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement