Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Boggles wrote: »
    I have family in America so I will be concerned what that idiot says if you don't mind.

Also The American health system makes the HSE look world class.

Some of the best hospitals, doctors, scientists etc etc are in the Us.
    It's more likely that your family will make it over there than you will here if push comes to shove.

Iv heard of many people going to the United States for surgery or treatment. Iv yet to hear of any traveling to Ireland to specifically get medical treatment.

Bob24 wrote: »
    The UK clearly has a different policy from most other European countries. They are much more proactive in terms of testing and I believe they are testing anyone with flu symptoms with a goal to catch as many cases of coronavirus as possible. Based on their numbers, Austria might have a similar policy. And a place like Korea is even more proactive, I believe at least in some areas they are testing anyone who wants to be.

Their loser testing criteria mean they are catching more of the actual cases in the country, but logically the percentage of positive results is lower.

I think I read a couple of weeks ago that they were testing entire areas in order to ascertain if there were breakouts. Must have been so they know where to concentrate vital services to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 132 per million (pop 340,000)
    South Korea 130
    Italy 68
    Iran 46
    Switzerland 24
    Norway 23
    China 18
    Sweden 13
    Belgium 9
    Singapore 9
    France 9
    Germany 8
    Spain 8
    Austria 7
    Netherlands 7
    Ireland 4
    Japan 3
    Denmark 3
    UK 2
    Canada 1
    USA 1
    Portugal 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Some of the best hospitals, doctors, scientists etc etc are in the Us.
    It's more likely that your family will make it over there than you will here if push comes to shove.
    Access to them is the issue over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I woke myself up coughing and haven't stopped since. Dry cough too.

That's literally the only symptom I have and I feel absolutely fine otherwise so I'm sure it's nothing. Still, was supposed to be working in my brother's car dealership today and I've told him I'm going to stay at home just in case. I don't want to be *that* person.

Annoying, though, cause it would have been a few extra bob.

I'm the same here. I feel fine aside from being tired but I'm not sleeping properly lately. I will stay in bed for the day and try and get some sleep. I will keep an eye on the temperature over the day. I was going to go into town for over the counter medicines today but I will give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think there is a bug that produces similar symptoms doing the rounds though. There were some people who were expected to test positive but did not. So I take it they displayed the symptoms of it.
    There was a dose going around at Christmas/New years that had fever and a curse of a cough which took weeks to clear, but little or no snotters. I got it, as did a fair few people I knew. If we'd have caught it today I'd say a few would have understandably panicked. There also appears to be a more "fluey" dose around at the minute. I have that myself now. Headache, sinus pain, sore throat, some weakness, but not so much of any cough going on. Actually and funny enough since I caught this one the residual occasional cough from the new years dose has cleared right up. Sweet. :D
    How long does symptoms last?
    IIRC and do NOT take this as gospel, just what I've read on it; the initial course of the illness seems to be over about a fortnight in those who get the more severe form, with the need for medical care in the second week.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just musing here, but could how someone is infected cause the different symptoms in some? So if the virus first enters through the nose or eyes you get more head involvement than those who directly breathe it in?

In the end though the dangerous symptom and the one to take action for is surely the breathlessness and difficulty in breathing.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday, had recovered from coronavirus and said he started with a cold, felt better, then got a sore throat, felt a bit better but then he got the dry cough and breathlessness.

But I wonder if the first stage was a cold and separate to the later symptoms. :confused: Are there receptors for the virus in our nasal passages???

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭juno10353

Do tourists import all our essential goods?

No. But essential goods do come in through ports and airports

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

We won't know if community tranmission is happening unless they test people who haven't been to a high risk area, or been in contact with a known case.

Which they are not doing. This explains why they can trace all but one of the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

PhantomHat wrote: »
    The Trump (bashing) thread is over that way

True...

But his ill informed claptrap like “it will be gone soon, ’miraculously’ “ , “the warm weather will kill it” , “it’s just like the flu” and the figures are not so bad... keep being repeated here !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Access to them is the issue over there.

This isn't daily health care. This is about the abilities of the health system to treat a virus outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Have been unwell myself the past few days. Very chesty and coughing and short of breath at times. Temperature is completely fine.

I'm putting it down to the fact that I'm walking 40 minutes in and out to work each day instead of risking public transport.

As I mentioned previously I've an undiagnosed respitory condition so I've felt like this plenty of times before. The cold damp air has been a real struggle over the years. Moved to Australia for a while and the difference was noticeable.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Watching BBC news just now, as we know its a Government mouth piece, and there was a interesting shift in message.
    The host was interviewing a woman on the subject of Stockpiling supplies, the words used where it is "understandable, prudent, desirable, better safe than sorry,....." to get some supplies in, this is a complete tonal shift from just a few days ago, when the BBC news had humorous reports on "preppers".

Well my own eyes seen on the shopping trip earlier, all large pack of toilet paper gone, only a few double packs and expensive organic paper left, all pasta sold except about 10 packs of spaghetti and some expensive "deluxe"pasta, no a single bottle or pack of disinfectant sprays/wipes, a pallet of 6 packs of Heinz beans , no price shown, people still loading several into their trollies, the tins of fruit greatly diminished and along the shelves of tinned goods/long life food many, many people checking out the items, reading the packets and then putting some in their trollies.
    A definite increase in the number of people "prepping", just by looking at the contents of their trollies.

At the end of the day, no doubt our Doctors and Nurses will be working hard to get the best results for the nation in this fight agains Covid19, but lets be brutally honest, do you have any real faith in the government to get the upper hand against Covid19, the same Government that made a mess the HSE, Housing,Transport,Insurance...... the list is never ending.
    As for the news, remember that RTE, a government mouth piece, kept quite when the IMF was rolling into Dublin, so i would not have faith in them keeping us up to speed.
    We are seeing the response of Italy and other EU countries, take heed, this is a look into the future that will be here in Ireland in no more than 2 weeks, plan accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

juno10353 wrote: »
    No. But essential goods do come in through ports and airports

Yep. I wasnt going to close every port/airpot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A short term shutdown prevents a very long term shutdown. We are slowly drifting towards the latter. China meanwhile adopted the first approach and have turned the corner. They are now isolating people coming from outside hotspots as they probably see that as the longer term problem.

The Chinese probably think we're crazy for going ahead with St Patricks parades.

Exactly, a bit of short term pain may reap rewards in the long term, but some people can't be told, it's all about the money, kerching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Does this Corona Virus not take the bloody weekend off ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sudzs wrote: »
    I heard someone on the radio yesterday, had recovered from coronavirus and said he started with a cold, felt better, then got a sore throat, felt a bit better but then he got the dry cough and breathlessness.

But I wonder if the first stage was a cold and separate to the later symptoms. :confused:

It sound very like a virus we all had here at Christmas . First the cold , then the sore throat , then the cough .Only the kids then got diarrhoea . It flew around the family and I heard so many at the time saying they had it too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The galling thing is our lot is looking to the likes of France and Britain for guidance.

Britain is not as good as the likes of Singapore to manage it, but from what I can tell they are the ones doing best in Europe.

Sadly our authorities seem to behave more like the French ones in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does this Corona Virus not take the bloody weekend off ??

It could be eligible for sick pay too (depending on the country)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hey Boggles, think fight club “his name is Robert Paulson”

687-A64-EF-A23-A-4-D76-96-E1-8676-C20-E5286.jpg

B52678-FD-D4-F1-449-D-8130-1-E7-B65602-E3-B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    PSG game tonight has been called off due to the virus.

Yes a regional call made in Strasbourg, but my point is that in general big events in open air settings like the rugby next week haven't been called off.
    I find it strange that its not off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Watching BBC news just now, as we know its a Government mouth piece, and there was a interesting shift in message.
    The host was interviewing a woman on the subject of Stockpiling supplies, the words used where it is "understandable, prudent, desirable, better safe than sorry,....." to get some supplies in, this is a complete tonal shift from just a few days ago, when the BBC news had humorous reports on "preppers".

Well my own eyes seen on the shopping trip earlier, all large pack of toilet paper gone, only a few double packs and expensive organic paper left, all pasta sold except about 10 packs of spaghetti and some expensive "deluxe"pasta, no a single bottle or pack of disinfectant sprays/wipes, a pallet of 6 packs of Heinz beans , no price shown, people still loading several into their trollies, the tins of fruit greatly diminished and along the shelves of tinned goods/long life food many, many people checking out the items, reading the packets and then putting some in their trollies.
    A definite increase in the number of people "prepping", just by looking at the contents of their trollies.

At the end of the day, no doubt our Doctors and Nurses will be working hard to get the best results for the nation in this fight agains Covid19, but lets be brutally honest, do you have any real faith in the government to get the upper hand against Covid19, the same Government that made a mess the HSE, Housing,Transport,Insurance...... the list is never ending.
    As for the news, remember that RTE, a government mouth piece, kept quite when the IMF was rolling into Dublin, so i would not have faith in them keeping us up to speed.
    We are seeing the response of Italy and other EU countries, take heed, this is a look into the future that will be here in Ireland in no more than 2 weeks, plan accordingly.
    yeah def a doomsday prepper, might as well go to cash and carry and buy pallets of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

coastwatch wrote: »
    Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 132 per million (pop 340,000)
    South Korea 130
    Italy 68
    Iran 46
    Switzerland 24
    Norway 23
    China 18
    Sweden 13
    Belgium 9
    Singapore 9
    France 9
    Germany 8
    Spain 8
    Austria 7
    Netherlands 7
    Ireland 4
    Japan 3
    Denmark 3
    UK 2
    Canada 1
    USA 1
    Portugal 1

Very interesting, that’ll be a table to watch unfolding wonder what it will look like a few weeks from now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sudzs wrote: »

But I wonder if the first stage was a cold and separate to the later symptoms. :confused: Are there receptors for the virus in our nasal passages???
    That's the problem S, at this time of the year there are usually a few viruses knocking about. In normal years you'll have influenza and a couple of strains of the "common cold"(which is also a coronavirus). So for example I caught that New years dose, have some sort of mild dose at the moment, if I caught Covid19 that would be the third virus I've given a home to in a couple of months.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seamai wrote: »
    Exactly, a bit of short term pain may reap rewards in the long term, but some people can't be told, it's all about the money, kerching!

A short term shutdown will not prevent a long term one. We shutting down for a while won't mean everywhere else will be magically cured. We have to look at this as a potential long term problem and husband our resources in that regard.

We shut down at the first moment and we are screwed when the UK still has it in a months time. We are screwed anyway if we don't coordinate with them due to NI. We can't control that border any more than they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm the same here. I feel fine aside from being tired but I'm not sleeping properly lately. I will stay in bed for the day and try and get some sleep. I will keep an eye on the temperature over the day. I was going to go into town for over the counter medicines today but I will give it a miss.

I get all my OTC meds by post; there are several pharmacies doing an excellent swift postal or courier service. Next day delivery. I use one in Buncrana.. ask google? Reminds me I need more Piriton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Our clowns are the same, but their statements 'unlikely to spread in Ireland', 'likely to be community transmission in the next few weeks' blow up in their face within hours.

And making those bold claims that everything is fine only to be contradicted by reality shortly afterwards is fairly irresponsible as it breaks trust.

When the French health minister said it wouldn’t be coming to Europe ... the next day she had to call a press conference to announce that a first few cases had been detected in France. What does it do to her credibility with the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Good post. I think we are entering into a new phase of this epidemic.
    People have realized that the government can only do so much and are perhaps not doing nearly enough. Leo and his, as he so calls them, 'stakeholders' are on the controls at the moment. So revenue is still the biggest issue for them currently. Health feels like it is coming a close second.
    Prepping now is a must. Only if it means you have something in the cupboards if you need to self isolate. Just be mindful of others and don't clear out the loo rolls with your two shopping trolleys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Akrasia wrote: »
    Lol. I love how you think this is such a black and white issue.
    Fine, we should have shut off flights from Italy. But then it spread to France and Germany, shut off flights to there too, oh, now it’s in Northern Ireland, and the UK.... close all the borders!
    Oh, we’re running out of medicines, fuel, raw materials,our economy has just collapsed, thousands of Irish people are stranded abroad.....

Hardly rocket science though....

Lol. More gob****ism whataboutery. No we had no need to 'blockade' the country as in your black and white flight of fancy.

Approx 98% of our current outbreak has been linked with the infected regions of Northern Italy.

Absolutely flights to and from there should have been stopped

Get people back and into isolation- that was already explained and which you bizarrely ignore!

But they attitude is sure we're Irish! If we do anything st all then it will all 'collapse'. Frighin hilarious

Have fun living in that bubble... :pac:

As stated NOT rocket science

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement