Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

At least if they only announce them once a day the thread only implodes once, if they drip feed it could be messed up all day

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

piplip87 wrote: »
    Briefing at two. I'd say more new cases

Is it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

piplip87 wrote: »
    Briefing at two. I'd say more new cases

UK or HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not saying it isn't happening. I'm saying it's not happening in my town. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones on here haven't stirred some family and friends into a frenzy to clear out those items from their local stores. It's far from a nationwide problem though and there are 0 problems with the supply chain atm.

If people chilled the feck out there would be no shortages of anything.

Thinking that a handful of people here are responsible for any stockpiling across the country is a bit of a stretch . Why is there no hand gel if there is 0 problems with supply chain ? Are you working at a high level in the supply chain to make this claim ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I was in Supervalu earlier (Galway). Shelves are all fully stocked. No sense of panic whatsoever. I think it's much more likely to happen in Dublin.

Supervalu... ****in hell. Of course there's no panic. One bag of pasta would cost you a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

UK or HSE?

HSE at 2pm

Dept Health at 5.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

HSE at 2pm

Dept Health at 5.30pm

Where can you watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Drumpot wrote: »
    Where can you watch it?

Rte News Now i'd say maybe

or live blog here

https://www.thejournal.ie/liveblog-coronavirus-5034338-Mar2020/#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Steve F wrote: »
    Perspective??

Of the 56.9 million deaths worldwide in 2016, more than half (54%) were due to the top 10 causes. Ischaemic heart disease and stroke are the world’s biggest killers, accounting for a combined 15.2 million deaths in 2016. These diseases have remained the leading causes of death globally in the last 15 years.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease claimed 3.0 million lives in 2016, while lung cancer (along with trachea and bronchus cancers) caused 1.7 million deaths. Diabetes killed 1.6 million people in 2016, up from less than 1 million in 2000. Deaths due to dementias more than doubled between 2000 and 2016, making it the 5th leading cause of global deaths in 2016 compared to 14th in 2000.

Lower respiratory infections remained the most deadly communicable disease, causing 3.0 million deaths worldwide in 2016. The death rate from diarrhoeal diseases decreased by almost 1 million between 2000 and 2016, but still caused 1.4 million deaths in 2016. Similarly, the number of tuberculosis deaths decreased during the same period, but is still among the top 10 causes with a death toll of 1.3 million. HIV/AIDS is no longer among the world’s top 10 causes of death, having killed 1.0 million people in 2016 compared with 1.5 million in 2000.
    And people infected with any of those fatal diseases are high-risk for death of they contact this virus. What is so difficult to understand about that while you're so busy maintaining perspective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Pasta from Italy and Rice from China ��

Its the least they can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No one starved in Wuhan because of this as far as I know.
    I'd say most Irish people would be better off if they were 5 - 10 kg lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

At this point that is not recommended because people are not in the clear once they have had it like with other viruses. At this point, evidence suggests that Covid-19 aggressively attaches itself to endocrine receptors and can remain in the system dormant, reinfect you and transmit to other people. The respiratory system likely will sustain damage and it will be more difficult to recover after a second or third battle with the virus.

So it could turn out be a lot like hiv/aids where people might end up on anti viral medication for life after contracting this virus although I think this virus would be worse in that with hiv it's blood transmission and we know what to do, to not get infected. This would be worse because it's being transmitted like a cold - coughing and sneezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Cw85 wrote: »
    I'm just going from what the HSE have on their website, not arguing. My point really being that more people have and will die from the common flu than this virus.

Yeah the flu has killed huge numbers over the years and could do again.

It doesn't make this coronavirus outbreak any less off a disaster though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guardian live blog
    Italy’s foreign minister Luigi Di Maio has accused CNN of ‘’distorting reality’’ after it published a map of worldwide cases of the coronavirus linked to the country.

According to the Italian authorities, the map, featuring a big red arrows sprouting from Italy to other parts of the world, does not highlight other areas struggling with the emergency such as China, Iran, South Korea and Japan.

“CNN has shown a map in which it looks as though Italy is the origin of the coronavirus outbreak,” Di Maio posted on Facebook.

“This is a distorted vision of reality. CNN is not the issue though, as this is just an example because other international media organizations are portraying Italy the wrong way too. The disinformation of some organs does not clash with opinions but with facts’’ Di Maio said.

“Italy is the nation that is addressing with most rigour this emergency which, as we know, developed in China”.

Hear, hear....good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Where can you watch it?

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlQpONLMKL

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Multipass wrote: »
    No pasta on the shelves in my local Tesco, that made me feel a little nervous

Don't worry. It's the Italian day-trippers stocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Its so Irish that we even have NIMBY whataboutisim motherf"""ers going "ah look we dont have to do anything" even for a virus that is killing hundreds of people.

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Steve F wrote: »
    Perspective??

Of the 56.9 million deaths worldwide in 2016, more than half (54%) were due to the top 10 causes. Ischaemic heart disease and stroke are the world’s biggest killers, accounting for a combined 15.2 million deaths in 2016. These diseases have remained the leading causes of death globally in the last 15 years.

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease claimed 3.0 million lives in 2016, while lung cancer (along with trachea and bronchus cancers) caused 1.7 million deaths. Diabetes killed 1.6 million people in 2016, up from less than 1 million in 2000. Deaths due to dementias more than doubled between 2000 and 2016, making it the 5th leading cause of global deaths in 2016 compared to 14th in 2000.

Lower respiratory infections remained the most deadly communicable disease, causing 3.0 million deaths worldwide in 2016. The death rate from diarrhoeal diseases decreased by almost 1 million between 2000 and 2016, but still caused 1.4 million deaths in 2016. Similarly, the number of tuberculosis deaths decreased during the same period, but is still among the top 10 causes with a death toll of 1.3 million. HIV/AIDS is no longer among the world’s top 10 causes of death, having killed 1.0 million people in 2016 compared with 1.5 million in 2000.

Now double it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

owlbethere wrote: »
    So it could turn out be a lot like hiv/aids where people might end up on anti viral medication for life after contracting this virus although I think this virus would be worse in that with hiv it's blood transmission and we know what to do, to not get infected. This would be worse because it's being transmitted like a cold - coughing and sneezing.

whoa, easy there bald eagle.

The virus sheds after a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

I was in Supervalu earlier (Galway). Shelves are all fully stocked. No sense of panic whatsoever. I think it's much more likely to happen in Dublin.

Wit till it hits Galway!

The toilet roll thing has already kicked off in Clare...I took some pics this morning...will post later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

Where can you watch it?

Television

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Daz_ wrote: »
    Thinking that a handful of people here are responsible for any stockpiling across the country is a bit of a stretch . Why is there no hand gel if there is 0 problems with supply chain ? Are you working at a high level in the supply chain to make this claim ?

That's not what I said. Most stores only get deliveries of certain items once a week. Usually an amount that is an average of what they sell in a week. If a small number of people stockpilled a large amount of an item like pasta they wouldn't be long going out of stock on top of regular pasta sales.

So 1 or 2 panickers who then talk some family and friends into also panicking and buying those items are the ones causing shortages anywhere.

The supply chain is fine although there may well be shortages nationwide on hand sanitiser. That is 1 item that sales have exploded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Rte News Now i'd say maybe

or live blog here

https://www.thejournal.ie/liveblog-coronavirus-5034338-Mar2020/#

It's a bog standard winter update with a mention of covid 19.
    Don't think we'll learn much here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

So I'm watching this briefing. Who cares how many are being admitted to hospitals? I want to know the Covid-19 update - how could they not be doing that first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Finally. No new cases today yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Putting together a bullsh!t bingo card for the boards corona virus discussion... I'm sure I missed a few obvious ones:

This is no worse than flu

This is way worse than flu

Eh, the flu kills a bizillion people so even if they were similar it's still the end of the world

Something about percentages to calm people

Something about percentages to panic people

Arguments about the actual percentage

Comical Ali = The HSE/Simon Harris/Leo Varadkar/Some other official

Somehow blaming Sinn Fein

Someone essentially claiming they know more than an expert in some medical field

Nature always finds a way

CLOSE ALL THE PORTS AND AIRPORTS!!!!!! NOW!!!!

I hope the virus doesn't spread as quickly as this thread.

Somebody posting some new news that's already been mentioned 500 times

Unless you're old or have an underlying condition then just go about your life as normal

Oh, so the ederly don't matter!!!

People need to calm down!

People need to CALM UP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JDD wrote: »
    So I'm watching this briefing. Who cares how many are being admitted to hospitals? I want to know the Covid-19 update - how could they not be doing that first?

Because it's a normal winter update that covers everything. Nothing special bar there'll be a mention of covid

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Its so Irish that we even have NIMBY whataboutisim motherf"""ers going "ah look we dont have to do anything" even for a virus that is killing hundreds of people.
    What NIMBYism are you referring to here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

JDD wrote: »
    Finally. No new cases today yet.

What about tomorrow

Any confirmed cases there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

"IT'S JUST A FLU"
    Irish Water has said it has not observed any significant difference in the water demand pattern in recent weeks, following advice from health authorities that people should wash their hands often to protect themselves from coronavirus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement