Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's the problem S, at this time of the year there are usually a few viruses knocking about. In normal years you'll have influenza and a couple of strains of the "common cold"(which is also a coronavirus). So for example I caught that New years dose, have some sort of mild dose at the moment, if I caught Covid19 that would be the third virus I've given a home to in a couple of months.

I think the common cold is an adenovirus. But yes, lots of different viruses doing the rounds. It must be a nightmare for any hypochondriacs. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Watching BBC news just now, as we know its a Government mouth piece, and there was a interesting shift in message.
    The host was interviewing a woman on the subject of Stockpiling supplies, the words used where it is "understandable, prudent, desirable, better safe than sorry,....." to get some supplies in, this is a complete tonal shift from just a few days ago, when the BBC news had humorous reports on "preppers".

Well my own eyes seen on the shopping trip earlier, all large pack of toilet paper gone, only a few double packs and expensive organic paper left, all pasta sold except about 10 packs of spaghetti and some expensive "deluxe"pasta, no a single bottle or pack of disinfectant sprays/wipes, a pallet of 6 packs of Heinz beans , no price shown, people still loading several into their trollies, the tins of fruit greatly diminished and along the shelves of tinned goods/long life food many, many people checking out the items, reading the packets and then putting some in their trollies.
    A definite increase in the number of people "prepping", just by looking at the contents of their trollies.

At the end of the day, no doubt our Doctors and Nurses will be working hard to get the best results for the nation in this fight agains Covid19, but lets be brutally honest, do you have any real faith in the government to get the upper hand against Covid19, the same Government that made a mess the HSE, Housing,Transport,Insurance...... the list is never ending.
    As for the news, remember that RTE, a government mouth piece, kept quite when the IMF was rolling into Dublin, so i would not have faith in them keeping us up to speed.
    We are seeing the response of Italy and other EU countries, take heed, this is a look into the future that will be here in Ireland in no more than 2 weeks, plan accordingly.

The problem is the stockpiling itself! If people weren't losing their heads, there would be plenty left for everyone. Because of the selfish people who insist on stockpiling, others are then forced to consider stockpiling as well, in case they're left without necessities.

I know perfectly healthy people who went out and bought 20 bottles of hand sanitiser and 20 packs of toilet paper. I suffer from an inflammatory bowel disease and and am now having trouble finding either - the need for lots of toilet paper is obvious and I always used sanitiser as I'm frequently in hospital and don't always get to wash my hands after touching stuff. People who are in genuine need are now left to go without because of these selfish morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

spuddy90 wrote: »
    Average age of deaths in italy is 81. With 2 or more pre existing conditions. So ye they died. Not because of covid 19 alone that so many people seem to think is the case.
    Re: comorbidities

An Italian study analysed the 105 dead (as per 4 March).

67.2% had three or more other health conditions:
    • High blood pressure (74,6%),
    • cardiovascular deasease (70,4%)
    • diabetes (33,8%)

https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5286166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just watching the movie “starship Troopers”, quality movie and a kind of parody on the ways propaganda is used to fool people.

Just at the following bit that suggests it’s just a matter Before they win and They totally underestimate the challange on front of them at great cost.

It reminds me of Trump with his stupid press conference last week where he suggested they wouid soon have no infected in USA

maxresdefault.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

ZX7R wrote: »
    The toilet paper stuff.
    That can be traced back to redit .
    During the early days of the outbreak
    It was stated that less than 0•01% were getting diarrhoea some idiot made up graphs and stated China made most of the world's toilet paper.
    It was totally fake and disproved.
    But for some reason people still believe

No Toilet paper is made in Ireland, it comes from the UK or EU, most from the UK.
    Remember Brexit?
    Hard Brexit could/would impact imports, be massive delays at ports, therefore food stuff that will expire would have priority to be imported, well you know Toilet paper ain't a food item and it is not going to go off, so that wont be getting on any limited imported goods if there is a disruption to imports , and if the UK has a lock Down like parts of Italy/Korea/China there will be a impact on imports/exports.
    In the land of the scalded nappy rash arse, the man with toilet paper is KING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Akrasia wrote: »
    Lol. I love how you think this is such a black and white issue.

Fine, we should have shut off flights from Italy. But then it spread to France and Germany, shut off flights to there too, oh, now it’s in Northern Ireland, and the UK.... close all the borders!

Oh, we’re running out of medicines, fuel, raw materials,our economy has just collapsed, thousands of Irish people are stranded abroad.....

Hardly rocket science though....

I do think we should have restricted travel to Italy to slow it down. I read we have created 25 extra beds at a cost of €25,000,000. I’ve no experience in healthcare so not sure why it costs so much but I’d imagine there are massive resources needed when people are that sick. It’s not possible closing boarders, that isn’t possible as it has too many consequences.... But there could have been restrictions to deter people travelling to and from affected regions to slow it down. We are an island so we had the ability to place restrictions and control this easier then other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,494 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Some of the best hospitals, doctors, scientists etc etc are in the Us.

Yes they do, but if you don't have the cash or the required cover they might as well be aliens.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    This exactly Italy are testing WAAAY more hence such high numbers , they are actually looking for it !

nearly 4000 tests yesterday
    tamponi giornalieri = tests per day
    https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Oh look another new user defending the HSE.:rolleyes:

Who is defending the HSE? Learn to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It sound very like a virus we all had here at Christmas . First the cold , then the sore throat , then the cough .Only the kids then got diarrhoea . It flew around the family and I heard so many at the time saying they had it too .

I wonder are there any tests available to see if someone already got this virus?

I was checking some timelines last night about Corona. People started appearing in hospitals in Wuhan in December with pneumonia and fever. It all started there. Taking what we know now, 14 days approx incubation and another few more weeks disease progression - this virus probably would have began around about October. Wuhan went into lock down mode in January. That's 2-3 months of disease spreading there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

The problem is the stockpiling itself! If people weren't losing their heads, there would be plenty left for everyone. Because of the selfish people who insist on stockpiling, others are then forced to consider stockpiling as well, in case they're left without necessities.

I know perfectly healthy people who went out and bought 20 bottles of hand sanitiser and 20 packs of toilet paper. I suffer from an inflammatory bowel disease and and am now having trouble finding either - the need for lots of toilet paper is obvious and I always used sanitiser as I'm frequently in hospital and don't always get to wash my hands after touching stuff. People who are in genuine need are now left to go without because of these selfish morons.

Nice guys finish last, be a bastard and get ahead in life!
    So you and others are sensible, do the right thing and don't stress out the supply chain, do a normal shop, you are a nice guy, meanwhile many others are prepping, loading up on supplies, fast forward a week or 2, there is a Lockdown, pure PANIC will grip the nation, there will be a stampede to the shops, the shops will be stripped bare in under 30 minutes.
    Its up to you if you dont buy into the prepping idea, but dont come on here moaning when you are shut in eating stale bread and cornflakes with water and cutting up your old T-Shirts to wipe your arse, cant flush the rags so you bin them, no bin collection as the workers are also on lock down, stink unreal from your bin with ****ty rags in there!

faceman wrote: »
    Again, incorrect. Foreign run private hospitals yes. Public hospitals less so. Rural hospitals are totally substandard. It’s not comparable with the West!

more unsubstanciated nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭Christy42

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. More gob****ism whataboutery. No we had no need to 'blockade' the country as in your black and white flight of fancy.

Approx 98% of our current outbreak has been linked with the infected regions of Northern Italy.

Absolutely flights to and from there should have been stopped

Get people back and into isolation- that was already explained and which you bizarrely ignore!

But they attitude is sure we're Irish! If we do anything st all then it will all 'collapse'. Frighin hilarious

Have fun living in that bubble... :pac:

As stated NOT rocket science

Ok. So you get all our people back from Northern Italy and we end up with the same number (maybe minus the Cork lad but that is a maybe).

It still hits the community because plenty of people were in Italy before there was an outbreak there. Wasn't the doctor in Italy before the outbreak in Italy? So are you going to hunt down anyone in Italy the few weeks before the outbreak there as well? I mean they have already broken containment.

"Germany has banned exports of face masks and other protective equipment and the French government decided to take over production of protective masks earlier this week.
    Belgian Health Minister said these measures are impeding suppliers from delivering to other countries as part of existing contracts.
    Her counterparts from the Netherlands, Lithuania, Estonia and Austria, among others, echoed that call.
    European Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides warned that countries keeping supplies only for themselves may need solidarity from other EU states later on."

https://www.politico.eu/article/health-ministers-squabble-over-face-masks-at-coronavirus-talks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I could do with some advice. My son and I both have a cold at the moment. I have a sore throat, runny nose, achey neck and shoulders. My son has a cough and runny nose with big snotty sneezes. I'm as sure as I can be that it's not Covid-19 because of the runny noses. But we live in Limerick and while it's likely that local transmission is happening all over the country, I'm guessing that it could be more prevalent here after what happened at UHL.

Should I keep him off school for a few days if he is still coughing? Under any other circumstances I would think it's an overreaction to a mild (but persistent) cough. But there is a strong possibility that children are a big transmitter of the virus due to usually having such mild symptoms that they go undiagnosed while even the most conscientious about coughing in their elbow child realistically spreads their germs all over. I've already made a decision to not take him to visit my 89 year old grandmother. I've kept him home from an activity we normally do on Friday nights. He's missed a lot of school already this school year due to glandular fever so I'd rather he doesn't miss any more time. I also have at the back of my mind that people can relapse with glandular fever if their immune system is brought low, so he's a little more vulnerable at the moment. But mainly, on the slim possibility that his cough isn't just a common cold virus, should I keep him home?

Which movie should I watch - contagion or contagious?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Total number of cases in Germany now 692, +45 overnight. No fatalities as of yet in the country.

France 653 and 9 fatalities

USA 272 and 15 fatalities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No Toilet paper is made in Ireland, it comes from the UK or EU, most from the UK.
    Remember Brexit?
    Hard Brexit could/would impact imports, be massive delays at ports, therefore food stuff that will expire would have priority to be imported, well you know Toilet paper ain't a food item and it is not going to go off, so that wont be getting on any limited imported goods if there is a disruption to imports , and if the UK has a lock Down like parts of Italy/Korea/China there will be a impact on imports/exports.
    In the land of the scalded nappy rash arse, the man with toilet paper is KING!

There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)

faceman wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster. Tell us what specifically your issue is with what I’ve posted and I’ll respond as best I can.

you are asking others to be specific about their experiences while offering nothing to support your own opinions. have your cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Sinn Fein is doing it's best.

• Advertisement

Keep him off, iguana. I’d also ring your GP or out of hours service so his and your symptoms are logged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Which movie should I watch - contagion or contagious?

Outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RTE reporting a number of Irish passengers are on the infected cruise ship off San Francisco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

iguana wrote: »
    I could do with some advice. My son and I both have a cold at the moment. I have a sore throat, runny nose, achey neck and shoulders. My son has a cough and runny nose with big snotty sneezes. I'm as sure as I can be that it's not Covid-19 because of the runny noses. But we live in Limerick and while it's likely that local transmission is happening all over the country, I'm guessing that it could be more prevalent here after what happened at UHL.

Should I keep him off school for a few days if he is still coughing? Under any other circumstances I would think it's an overreaction to a mild (but persistent) cough. But there is a strong possibility that children are a big transmitter of the virus due to usually having such mild symptoms that they go undiagnosed while even the most conscientious about coughing in their elbow child realistically spreads their germs all over. I've already made a decision to not take him to visit my 89 year old grandmother. I've kept him home from an activity we normally do on Friday nights. He's missed a lot of school already this school year due to glandular fever so I'd rather he doesn't miss any more time. I also have at the back of my mind that people can relapse with glandular fever if their immune system is brought low, so he's a little more vulnerable at the moment. But mainly, on the slim possibility that his cough isn't just a common cold virus, should I keep him home?

I would check out the symptoms as described on HSE website and the NHS website and assess way forward from there. Sadly, keeping him away from your grandmother might be the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

That is completely up to you nobody else can make the decision for you unless the school of HSE issue you with advice that is, not sure why you would ask as you will get a flurry of opposing answers I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is doing it's best.

I know, pathetic isn’t it?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Outbreak.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. More gob****ism whataboutery. No we had no need to 'blockade' the country as in your black and white flight of fancy.

Approx 98% of our current outbreak has been linked with the infected regions of Northern Italy.

Absolutely flights to and from there should have been stopped

Get people back and into isolation- that was already explained and which you bizarrely ignore!

But they attitude is sure we're Irish! If we do anything st all then it will all 'collapse'. Frighin hilarious

Have fun living in that bubble... :pac:

As stated NOT rocket science

And what about flights from Germany ?

Or even Rome, or Paris.

Let's say someone was in northern Italy and they flew back to Ireland on a connecting flight via any one of the above

How do you stop that ?

How many people that travel to Ireland from northern Italy go direct anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The fact that you are asking this is the answer to your question. Why take that risk in these circumstances? Keep him home to be sure. He will catch up with his schoolwork later as many will be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

... cutting up your old T-Shirts to wipe your arse, cant flush the rags so you bin them, no bin collection as the workers are also on lock down, stink unreal from your bin with ****ty rags in there!

Ah Jayziz, to save this humiliation just buy a small plastic jug in the pound shop before the end days dawn. You can even use the hot tap to fill it and you will have a lovely clean bottom all the way through the apocalypse. You are welcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement