Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

RTE reporting a number of Irish passengers are on the infected cruise ship off San Francisco

Are they being kept on the cruise ship ? Did they learn nothing from the Diamond Princess ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Total number of cases in Germany now 692, +45 overnight. No fatalities as of yet in the country.

That's verging on miraculous:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The problem is the stockpiling itself! If people weren't losing their heads, there would be plenty left for everyone. Because of the selfish people who insist on stockpiling, others are then forced to consider stockpiling as well, in case they're left without necessities.

I know perfectly healthy people who went out and bought 20 bottles of hand sanitiser and 20 packs of toilet paper. I suffer from an inflammatory bowel disease and and am now having trouble finding either - the need for lots of toilet paper is obvious and I always used sanitiser as I'm frequently in hospital and don't always get to wash my hands after touching stuff. People who are in genuine need are now left to go without because of these selfish morons.

This is a very naieve post.

I bought most of my supplies weeks ago and the shops have had plenty of time to replenish their shelves from what I and many others have already purchased. People going to the shops Later are the ones who will cause the issues because now supply chains are going to be strained. Yoh stock up before the supply chains are in trouble not when things are getting bad. We have had a peek into the future from other countries who are further ahead in the epidemic so there’s no excuse.

And not just that, you should read up more about what happens during crisis situations. Human instinct (fight or flight) kicks in and people are way more focused on themselves and their family with good reason. Governments and authorities are already making mistakes and decisions that are not primarily about people’s health. They say they are taking actions but their decisions (delay on big events for money reasons) suggest they don’t really appreciate the severity of the situation.

Medical people and credible authorities with more knowledge then anybody in this country have been saying “prepare” for months at this stage. I’ve prepared and anybody who hasn’t or is not currently doing so is irresponsible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

iguana wrote: »
    I could do with some advice. My son and I both have a cold at the moment. I have a sore throat, runny nose, achey neck and shoulders. My son has a cough and runny nose with big snotty sneezes. I'm as sure as I can be that it's not Covid-19 because of the runny noses. But we live in Limerick and while it's likely that local transmission is happening all over the country, I'm guessing that it could be more prevalent here after what happened at UHL.

Should I keep him off school for a few days if he is still coughing? Under any other circumstances I would think it's an overreaction to a mild (but persistent) cough. But there is a strong possibility that children are a big transmitter of the virus due to usually having such mild symptoms that they go undiagnosed while even the most conscientious about coughing in their elbow child realistically spreads their germs all over. I've already made a decision to not take him to visit my 89 year old grandmother. I've kept him home from an activity we normally do on Friday nights. He's missed a lot of school already this school year due to glandular fever so I'd rather he doesn't miss any more time. I also have at the back of my mind that people can relapse with glandular fever if their immune system is brought low, so he's a little more vulnerable at the moment. But mainly, on the slim possibility that his cough isn't just a common cold virus, should I keep him home?

I think anyone with kids should keep them home regardless. Don't wait for the government to shut down schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Are they being kept on the cruise ship ? Did they learn nothing from the Diamond Princess ?

AFAIK they will be taken off.

Trump wants them all to stay on because he "does not want numbers to double in the US"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Christy42 wrote: »
    Ok. So you get all our people back from Northern Italy and we end up with the same number (maybe minus the Cork lad but that is a maybe).

It still hits the community because plenty of people were in Italy before there was an outbreak there. Wasn't the doctor in Italy before the outbreak in Italy? So are you going to hunt down anyone in Italy the few weeks before the outbreak there as well? I mean they have already broken containment.

I agree, there wasn't a single country in the world that banned flights from Northern Italy, or quarantined people coming back from there.
    Hysterical nonsense from some people who claim to know more than highly qualified medics.
    Draconian measures will only cause all kinds of serious knock on effects, and will have minimal impact on the virus.
    I think some have watched too much dystopian fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wuhan went into lock down mode in January. That's 2-3 months of disease spreading there.

This is the known timeline for Europe:
    • end of January - First case in Germany (BavPat1) - linked to China
    • 13 February in Valencia - First known death in Europe - diagnosed only this week - no known links to China
    • also 13 February: first French victim (with no links to neither China nor Italy) started developing symptoms. He was diagnosed after 6 days in Creil hospital.
    • 20 February in Italy - first patient is diagnosed there - after 1.5 days in hospital - no known links to China

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)

Times change, you could beat your wife 60 years ago!
    We don't want to go back to that and i don't want adult nappy rash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think anyone with kids should keep them home regardless. Don't wait for the government to shut down schools.
    Why would you even think of doing that? Listen to the Public Health professionals who will tell you when the best time to do this is.

The problem is if everyone starts jumping early, shutting down events, taking kids out of school, is that you end up creating a second wave which will hit us later in the year - probably in the middle of flu season.

Public health is about trying to smooth out the wave, not stop it entirely only to see it starting up again full steam later in the year.

People who are cancelling events now might think they are doing the right thing but they are not - we (as a country) will need to move together at the right time or it completely screws up the Public Health strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

And what about flights from Germany ?

Or even Rome, or Paris.

Let's say someone was in northern Italy and they flew back to Ireland on a connecting flight via any one of the above

How do you stop that ?

How many people that travel to Ireland from northern Italy go direct anyway ?

If there was/ had been strong direction from the HSE/ Gov here that people returning from North Italy, by whatever means, are/were to keep to themselves for a couple of weeks that would help greatly.

Of course, a few might ignore that and carry on but the attitude of society would such to make people social pariahs if they ignored this advice. The state may not know where people are returning from but family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues usually do. Pressure from these sources could/ would have enforced that.

The issue is that the authorities have been wishy washy in dealing with this, carry on but tell us if you feel ill and we may test you. Not a strong or good response for containment.

• Advertisement

Total number of cases in Germany now 692, +45 overnight. No fatalities as of yet in the country.

Has anyone seen and can share data on the average age of the cases in Germany ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Can you buy prescription medication online in Ireland (legally with a prescription).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And what about flights from Germany ?

Or even Rome, or Paris.

Let's say someone was in northern Italy and they flew back to Ireland on a connecting flight via any one of the above

How do you stop that ?

More stupid whataboutery

What about them?

Nearly every case in this country stems from Northern Italy, could have done a hell of a lot if we curtailed flights and made travellers take precautions on return

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

joe40 wrote: »
    I agree, there wasn't a single country in the world that banned flights from Northern Italy, or quarantined people coming back from there.
    Hysterical nonsense from some people who claim to know more than highly qualified medics.
    Draconian measures will only cause all kinds of serious knock on effects, and will have minimal impact on the virus.

Austria and Slovakia have banned flights. That's just in Europe. There are more countries that have banned flights or brought in quarantine measures but don't let facts get in the way of your mindless ranting

The fact that you are asking this is the answer to your question. Why take that risk in these circumstances? Keep him home to be sure. He will catch up with his schoolwork later as many will be doing.

So True, if you have to ask, you already know the answer in your heart, you are just looking to have it confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The problem is the stockpiling itself! If people weren't losing their heads, there would be plenty left for everyone. Because of the selfish people who insist on stockpiling, others are then forced to consider stockpiling as well, in case they're left without necessities.

I know perfectly healthy people who went out and bought 20 bottles of hand sanitiser and 20 packs of toilet paper. I suffer from an inflammatory bowel disease and and am now having trouble finding either - the need for lots of toilet paper is obvious and I always used sanitiser as I'm frequently in hospital and don't always get to wash my hands after touching stuff. People who are in genuine need are now left to go without because of these selfish morons.

There's nothing selfish about preparing to isolate at a moments notice. It would be selfish to not prepare at all and mingle into supermarkets and pharmacies with symptoms in a mad panic because you have nothing at home.

Well done to everyone stocking up now, supermarkets will have a chance to restock and have supplies for everyone else when things get really rough in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Drumpot wrote: »

Medical people and credible authorities with more knowledge then anybody in this country have been saying “prepare” for months at this stage. I’ve prepared and anybody who hasn’t is irresponsible.

Very true... and we should thank the Chinese.

By extending the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday essentially until now and stopping all travel from the hot spots... the Chinese bought a month of time for the rest of the world... at a large cost to their own economy and lives lost.

We would have had far less time to prepare if all those Chinese people had fanned out all over the world at the end of the New Year holiday in late January.

It would have been Italy on steroids for us all in early February.

Sadly some governments sat around with their thumbs up their asses doing nothing, while the epidemic exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)

What did people use and how did it flush without clogging up their toilets? I’m just curious more than anything lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

hmmm wrote: »
    Why would you even think of doing that? Listen to the Public Health professionals who will tell you when the best time to do this is.

Because in instances like this, the general public can be ahead of the public authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

All those posh people who go skiing and on cruises surely have bidets in their bathrooms. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmmm wrote: »

My sister took her kids out of school as soon as she heard pupils who had just returned from Northern Italy were being allowed to attend

A week later the school was shut down courtesy of our now infamous super spreading health professional.

You think the HSE has your best interests at heart good luck to you, you'll need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Bambi wrote: »
    More stupid whataboutery

What about them?

Nearly every case in this country stems from Northern Italy, could have done a hell of a lot if we curtailed flights and made travellers take precautions on return

The travellers WERE STUPID
    They were in northern Italy and must have known about corona being wild
    They obviously Fucked up on precautions or took none at all
    Absolute eejits

Gynoid wrote: »
    Ah Jayziz, to save this humiliation just buy a small plastic jug in the pound shop before the end days dawn. You can even use the hot tap to fill it and you will have a lovely clean bottom all the way through the apocalypse. You are welcome.

Very selfish, what about all the people who NEED small plastic jugs in their everyday life?
    Your are just thinking of YOUR personal Hygiene, shame on you you!
    Perhaps you could just buy some toilet paper now while you cans and save your self the trouble of pouring water over your ****ty arse and splashing the floor with this and then cutting up old T-Shirts to use in drying said arse and floor?

France 653 and 9 fatalities
    Age profile of the fatalities in France is similar to Italy.
    Except the the first French victim (who had no links to neither China nor Italy) who was only 60 years old.
    https://www.pourquoidocteur.fr/Articles/Question-d-actu/31737-Coronavirus-9-personnes-decedees-France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Most of them I’d imagine, given that you can fly to Venice, Treviso, Verona, Bologna, Bergamo, Linate, Malpensa, Pisa and Turin all direct from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Can you buy prescription medication online in Ireland (legally with a prescription).

Not that I know of , plus I'm not sure about the legal end of it pharmacies have all sorts of regulations. Just curious as to why you ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

joe40 wrote: »

I’m certain I saw qualified medics say that there should be restrictions in place from northern Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What I'm finding difficult to assess out in the real world - is trying to make my mind up is this just an over-hyped nasty Flu/Cold that is being over-sensationalised and causing unneccessary panic - and, then on the other hand you have those saying particularly places like here ,that it is a doomsday scenario, stockpile necessities so the vulnerable can go short , my logical brain says first case is probably correct, and that this will be ok - and like previous threats to our survbal in the internet age - we will survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Because in instances like this, the general public can be ahead of the public authorities.
    They will be ahead, and they will be wrong. Listen to the Public Health doctors.

If everything shuts down now, we will see a massive second wave of cases later in the year during flu season. You can be selfish, or you can act like a citizen should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Seems there’s one rule for “the mob”, the “great unwashed” and another for the “top people”: some embassies cancel St Patrick’s Day receptions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-some-irish-embassies-cancel-st-patrick-s-day-receptions-1.4196483

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement