Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)

"O he loved his mother

Above all others.
    O he loved his ploughs
    And he loved his cows
    And his happiest dream
    Was to clean his arse
    With perennial grass
    On the bank of some summer stream;"

Patrick Kavanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a very naieve post.

I bought most of my supplies weeks ago and the shops have had plenty of time to replenish their shelves from what I and many others have already purchased. People going to the shops now and thereafter are the ones who will cause the issues because now supply chains are going to be strained. Yoh stock up before the supply chains are in trouble not when things are getting bad. We have had a peek into the future from other countries who are further ahead in the epidemic so there’s no excuse.

And not just that, you should read up more about what happens during crisis situations. Human instinct (fight or flight) kicks in and people are way more focused on themselves and their family with good reason. Governments and authorities are already making mistakes and decisions that are not primarily about people’s health. They say they are taking actions but their decisions (delay on big events for money reasons) suggest they don’t really appreciate the severity of the situation.

Medical people and credible authorities with more knowledge then anybody in this country have been saying “prepare” for months at this stage. I’ve prepared and anybody who hasn’t or is not currently doing so is irresponsible.

Thank you and my way too. I got an extra large ( for me!) grocery order this week which means a few extra tins of beans, mixed beans, peas, and , sardines etc, not excessive as I keep stocks well up as I am housebound etc, and always have food supplies .

And extra cat food .

Many here like you have been getting a little extra every week for months . If not needed? Fine; means buying less when all is back to normal.

Worrying if folk are panic buying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Very selfish, what about all the people who NEED small plastic jugs in their everyday life?
    Your are just thinking of YOUR personal Hygiene, shame on you you!
    Perhaps you could just buy some toilet paper now while you cans and save your self the trouble of pouring water over your ****ty arse and splashing the floor with this and then cutting up old T-Shirts to use in drying said arse and floor?
    I have a pet rabbit who cleans her sh!tty arse on the floor, you could just do that and cut out the middle man.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What did people use and how did it flush without clogging up their toilets? I’m just curious more than anything lol
    The Three Seashells method was popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Iran

+1076 new case and 21 new deaths in last 24 hours

Total cases 5789, total deaths 145

Recovered approx 1600.

• Advertisement

1641 wrote: »
    "O he loved his mother

Above all others.
    O he loved his ploughs
    And he loved his cows
    And his happiest dream
    Was to clean his arse
    With perennial grass
    On the bank of some summer stream;"

Patrick Kavanagh.

roflol!

Not quite! But serious preppers do speak like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

So is anyone still taking about coronva virus ? A lot of off topic posts pure nonsense

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Not that I know of , plus I'm not sure about the legal end of it pharmacies have all sorts of regulations. Just curious as to why you ask ?

Check via google; you can in the UK and they will post it but not sure here. OTC is no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bambi wrote: »
    More stupid whataboutery

What about them?

Nearly every case in this country stems from Northern Italy, could have done a hell of a lot if we curtailed flights and made travellers take precautions on return

But you have no idea about what way the people came back from Italy.
    So if they came back via UK do you ban all flights from UK ?

The Italy news only came to light on Feb 20th
    What about people who were home in the days before that and had gone about their normal business, how could they take precautions without knowing that they were even at risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

On the prepping/stockpiling.

It does no harm to have some extra non-perishables and toiletries in the house all the time regardless.

I didn't always do this but in 2010 I got badly stuck with the snow. I had 2 Kids under 4 and my Husband was in Germany for work. I hadn't really paid attention to the weather and when I did I decided to do an online shop with Tesco for the following day. I was short on nappies and formula which wasn't clever. But Tesco cancelled the delivery due to the weather so I ended up driving there myself with the Kids. I had to dig the car out with a shovel and had a bad skid and nearly ended up in a ditch. That experience got me thinking and I created a Pantry of staples at home which I rotate.

When this Coronavirus started getting closer, I started adding some extra things - just a couple of extras to each shop. It doesn't have to be all this mad panic buying. The people I saw yesterday in Tesco with full, full trolleys are only the start. By next week it will be much worse.

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Seems there’s one rule for “the mob”, the “great unwashed” and another for the “top people”: some embassies cancel St Patrick’s Day receptions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-some-irish-embassies-cancel-st-patrick-s-day-receptions-1.4196483

You're not obligated to go to the parade or do anything else on St Patrick's day.

So you can avoid contact if you wish.

thebaz wrote: »
    What I'm finding difficult to assess out in the real world - is trying to make my mind up is this just an over-hyped nasty Flu/Cold that is being over-sensationalised and causing unneccessary panic - and, then on the other hand you have those saying particularly places like here ,that it is a doomsday scenario, stockpile necessities so the vulnerable can go short , my logical brain says first case is probably correct, and that this will be ok - and like previous threats to our survbal in the internet age - we will survive.

We were talking about this earlier here. And the conclusion was that the hype is because they cannot kill this virus yet. It is out of our control to cure/ fight. SARS was different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

hmmm wrote: »
    They will be ahead, and they will be wrong. Listen to the Public Health doctors.

If everything shuts down now, we will see a massive second wave of cases later in the year during flu season. You can be selfish, or you can act like a citizen should.

So you would rather a large flush of cases now? The conventional wisdom from health professionals seems to be that it is necessary to slow the infection rate down now and spread it out.

A first principle is 'Do no harm' so if people are making personal & family decisions to avoid nursing homes, not send children to school and avoid large gatherings, then they are not doing any harm. They are reducing the possibility of community spreading. That is surely better for society as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Well it looks like this thread has literally gone to sh!te. I’m off today to stock up the freezer with meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What did people use and how did it flush without clogging up their toilets? I’m just curious more than anything lol

What you could use like another poster said old tshirts etc. Instead of throwing them in the bin, they can be rinsed in say the shower or sink then put them in a bucket with water and detergent. When full, stick them in a hot wash in the washing machine.

We did this for our daughter, we used cloth nappies. So instead stock up on washing powder 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There were no toilets and they went outside to go to the toilet and they used grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/professor-from-royal-college-of-surgeons-calls-for-emergency-cabinet-to-deal-with-covid-19-986339.html

A doctor from the Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons has said he thinks Covid 19 has become a national emergency. Professor Sam McConkey said an Emergency Cabinet involving all parties should be set up to take stronger action...
    He said he views the outbreak as “the biggest challenge to the functioning of our State that we have ever seen.”

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If there was/ had been strong direction from the HSE/ Gov here that people returning from North Italy, by whatever means, are/were to keep to themselves for a couple of weeks that would help greatly.

Of course, a few might ignore that and carry on but the attitude of society would such to make people social pariahs if they ignored this advice. The state may not know where people are returning from but family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues usually do. Pressure from these sources could/ would have enforced that.

The issue is that the authorities have been wishy washy in dealing with this, carry on but tell us if you feel ill and we may test you. Not a strong or good response for containment.

Again what about the people that were exposed in northern Italy but were home well before the news broke on Feb 20th ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"The two genomes from Wales each group the large European outbreak clade, but don't group together, suggesting separate introductions"

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1236180019711315968

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

owlbethere wrote: »
    There were no toilets and they went outside to go to the toilet and they used grass.

Dock leaves are great too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

hmmm wrote: »
    They will be ahead, and they will be wrong. Listen to the Public Health doctors.

If everything shuts down now, we will see a massive second wave of cases later in the year during flu season. You can be selfish, or you can act like a citizen should.

So you want more of us to catch the virus now so cases are more spread out and immunity is more widespread next year? I hope you are volunteering for a diagnosed patient to sneeze on/snog you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you have a runny nose or are sneezing it is likely that you DO NOT have coronavirus.

06032020_DelhiMetro_pg10_gfx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

You're not obligated to go to the parade or do anything else on St Patrick's day.

So you can avoid contact if you wish.

No thoughts on the double standards emanating from the govt though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I’m certain I saw qualified medics say that there should be restrictions in place from northern Italy.

I'm sure there is a range of opinions but the current consensus among health professionals across Europe is consistent with the Irish approach. This may change in the future but as it stands that is the Irish position.
    This virus may last for a very long time, so short term extreme measures may be ineffective in the long run, apart from causing significant economic damage.
    Economic damage hurts the most vulnerable in a society, it not about protecting the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)

There also were no flush toilets in large areas of the country - before the water schemes many people used the great outdoors.

and

Tuberculosis was rampant, and a major killer.

There are reasons why getting proper sanitation into villages in the developing world is prioritised - disease control is impossible if flies can spread contamination from human waste. Covid 19 will highlight that yet again if/when it gets into Africa and poor countries worldwide.

Those of us who are privileged to have loos should be grateful, and making sure we have paper and can use them safely makes sense. That said, I still have my Brexit stockpile so haven't had to buy any this time round.

Graces7, good to see you back - hope you're well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The fact that you are asking this is the answer to your question. Why take that risk in these circumstances? Keep him home to be sure. He will catch up with his schoolwork later as many will be doing.

Aren't you an anti vaxxer Grace?

Is the risk of this child contracting Covid-19 more scary than the risk of getting measles or rubella do you think? I know which one is deadlier to children...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

I am in no way advising stockpilingg but I do think it would be prudent for everyone to have a 5 - 7 day supply of paracetamol in the house incase of a temp and I would add electrolytes as well. Just my 2 cent. I don't think anyone will starve to death and we would even survive without toilet paper but it's important if anyone had a high temp that it be treated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can you buy prescription medication online in Ireland (legally with a prescription).

Haven't used it myself but I believe you can register for this service - there is an annual membership charge:
    https://healthwave.ie/

They have physical pharmacies in Dublin but deliver to rest of Ireland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What you could use like another poster said old tshirts etc. Instead of throwing them in the bin, they can be rinsed in say the shower or sink then put them in a bucket with water and detergent. When full, stick them in a hot wash in the washing machine.

We did this for our daughter, we used cloth nappies. So instead stock up on washing powder 😉

Sounds like a recipe for Typhoid,Cholera or Dysentery on top of Corvid19
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

otnomart wrote: »
    "The two genomes from Wales each group the large European outbreak clade, but don't group together, suggesting separate introductions"

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1236180019711315968

What does this mean ?
    Are there 2 different strains in Wales ?
    Apologies for my lack of understanding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement