Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

The facts that we do know are the following
    1-There is no cure currently
    2-Hospitals will fill up and if you are infected you will have to stay at home when this happens.

Now I would rather be at home with some supplies trying to ride out a possible killer virus with some comforts, some food and toilet paper.
    So you make your own choices and you will have to live with them, don't start moaning if there is a lock down and you did not prepared, you have had plenty of warning, and remember Governments will alway put a positive spin on everything, there has been a tonal shift in the UK on the message the Government is pushing, it is now talking about the "least worst outcome", as a distinct possibility, you can bet the farm it worse than they are telling us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What did people use and how did it flush without clogging up their toilets? I’m just curious more than anything lol

There was often a designated area out in the ditch, a good handful of soft grass does the job. What's not to like? And of course, people collected 'night soil' from their potties and spread in on the vegie garden. People were real Greens then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A hospital in kirkland washington has thrown in the towel saying they won't be doing any more tests because its already endemic, the US health system......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Times change, you could beat your wife 60 years ago!
    We don't want to go back to that and i don't want adult nappy rash!

lol....

Not sure what you are on about? lol...

... We had "hard" toilet paper or squares of newspaper with string at the corner. Before that soft rags... bucket with water and bleach, although that was before my time..

Same as no sanitary towels or tampons; rags that were washed. And real nappies not "disposables" that clog up the landfill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    I am in no way advising stockpilingg but I do think it would be prudent for everyone to have a 5 - 7 day supply of paracetamol in the house incase of a temp and I would add electrolytes as well. Just my 2 cent. I don't think anyone will starve to death and we would even survive without toilet paper but it's important if anyone had a high temp that it be treated .

To me it seems prudent especially if you live alone to have 2 weeks' worth of non perishables and medicines. Not just for coronavirus. You might twist an ankle. There could be snow and ice etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Graces7 wrote: »
    We were talking about this earlier here. And the conclusion was that the hype is because they cannot kill this virus yet. It is out of our control to cure/ fight. SARS was different.

I understand that, but yet at least 98% of people survive , so naturallly can fight it off, similar to flu, which kills 650,000 annually according to medical reports - Panic is not good for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

You're not obligated to go to the parade or do anything else on St Patrick's day.

So you can avoid contact if you wish.
    So what about the people who do go and bring it back to the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Sounds like a recipe for Typhoid,Cholera or Dysentery on top of Corvid19
    :eek:

Simple, wash your hands. Dont spray the poop all over the place.

I did most of the washing etc and never got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

thebaz wrote: »
    I understand that, but yet at least 98% of people survive , so naturallly can fight it off, similar to flu, which kills 650,000 annually according to medical reports - Panic is not good for people

Where are you getting your figure for 98% fighting it off naturally without medical \ hospital intervention?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Just to say ‘Thank you’ for all the messages last night, I was overwhelmed, it meant so much. It really did.

Irish people are the best in world and on behalf of everyone that is caught in a vulnerable situation right now, Boards.ie is good people. So thank you. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What does this mean ?
    Are there 2 different strains in Wales ?
    It just means that the two cases in Wales were not infected by the same person.

The strain in Europe is the same and originates from the first patient in Germany, or Bavaria Patient 1 (shortened in BavPat1)
    Reseach has established the samples from (so far) Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico are all related to Bavaria Patient 1 , who was infected by a colleague from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What does this mean ?
    Are there 2 different strains in Wales ?
    Apologies for my lack of understanding.

It means the 2 cases in Wales are genetically closer to other cases examined than they are too each other, which makes it likely they came from different places rather than being spread in the community.

Genetically different doesn't mean different strains though, there will be some genetic differences between any two individual genomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Graces7 wrote: »
    We were talking about this earlier here. And the conclusion was that the hype is because they cannot kill this virus yet. It is out of our control to cure/ fight. SARS was different.

How was SARS different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Very selfish, what about all the people who NEED small plastic jugs in their everyday life?
    Your are just thinking of YOUR personal Hygiene, shame on you you!
    Perhaps you could just buy some toilet paper now while you cans and save your self the trouble of pouring water over your ****ty arse and splashing the floor with this and then cutting up old T-Shirts to use in drying said arse and floor?

Lookit, I know it is not important, and very much a side issue, but boards users are required to air dry their wet arses. Pfft.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    No thoughts on the double standards emanating from the govt though?

I think it's a case of 'Do as I say, but not as I do'.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

I think we would look ridiculous going ahead with parades.

I don't think it will go down well either with other countries who are trying to contain it to be perfectly honest.

Absolutely Kermit. I couldn't agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

BarryD2 wrote: »
    There was often a designated area out in the ditch, a good handful of soft grass does the job. What's not to like? And of course, people collected 'night soil' from their potties and spread in on the vegie garden. People were real Greens then.
    and tens of thousands of people each year died of TB. That's what's not to like. Antibiotic have made us complacent, but disease control needs good hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

otnomart wrote: »
    It just means that the two cases in Wales were not infected by the same person.

The strain in Europe is the same and originates from the first patient in Germany, or Bavaria Patient 1 (shortened in BavPat1)
    Reseach has established the samples from (so far) Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico are all related to Bavaria Patient 1 , who was infected by a colleague from China.

So the Italian outbreak with the 1st man 38 years old really came from Bavaria somehow ?
    And the Bavarian outbreak was started by the Chinese colleague coming from Wuhan ?

Thanks for that. Understand it now.

Sounds like a recipe for Typhoid,Cholera or Dysentery on top of Corvid19
    :eek:

Why? We used bleach. My mother's generation were raised like that. She rarely ailed. There was no lack of hygiene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

faceman wrote: »
    Um. What benefit is it having? Do tell

They have a considerably higher hospital bed count than we do. I'd say it's counting for a lot. That christian cult was essentially a bunch of two legged dirty bombs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus people are weirdly fixated on toilet roll. In plenty of cultures/countries washing is the norm and dry wiping with paper is considered pretty unhygienic.

Nobody is going to die if they can't access jacks roll, for jaysis sake. Rinse with warm water while still sitting on the loo, either air dry or dry with a facecloth or small piece of towel, chuck em in the machine on a boil wash every other day or so. Bob's yer uncle and no "sh!tty t-shirts" or "sh!tty water all over the floor" *rolly eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In a little positive news the number of new cases announced in Iran is down circa 150 on yesterday with 1600 recovered.

Yesterday new cases were 1,250 odd, today 1,076.

owlbethere wrote: »
    How was SARS different?

SARS incubation was 4-6 days this can range anywhere from 1-3 weeks where it may also not show up if tested but is still transmissible so is very hard to stop from spreading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

otnomart wrote: »
    "The two genomes from Wales each group the large European outbreak clade, but don't group together, suggesting separate introductions"

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1236180019711315968

What does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Where are you getting your figure for 98% fighting it off naturally without medical \ hospital intervention?

my mistake, but what percentage can fight it off naturalliy would it be around 90% ??

tromtipp wrote: »
    and tens of thousands of people each year died of TB. That's what's not to like. Antibiotic have made us complacent, but disease control needs good hygiene.

Sorry what's the connection between TB and going for a crap/ wee?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Jesus people are weirdly fixated on toilet roll. In plenty of cultures/countries washing is the norm and dry wiping with paper is considered pretty unhygienic.

Nobody is going to die if they can't access jacks roll, for jaysis sake. Rinse with warm water while still sitting on the loo, either air dry or dry with a facecloth or small piece of towel, chuck em in the machine on a boil wash every other day or so. Bob's yer uncle and no "****ty t-shirts" or "****ty water all over the floor" *rolly eyes*

ALLELUIA! We have sense!

thebaz wrote: »
    my mistake, but what percentage can fight it off naturalliy would it be around 90% ??

Currently they are saying 80% infected will experience mild symptoms, however a high fever and pneumoniabare also included in what they call mild symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Simple, wash your hands. Dont spray the poop all over the place.

I did most of the washing etc and never got sick.

Was wondering why I was getting pinkeye when house sharing in the past then discovered my housemate in her wisdom was using the shower to clean the **** off the toiletbrush :eek:. **** and piss related things go down the toilet full stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement