Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what about the people who do go and bring it back to the rest of us?

Around here we often have people complaining about the government and having a nanny state.

Now when the government leave it up to ourselves people complain about them not doing anything.

Where do you start with cancelling things.

Parades ?
    Sports ?
    Church services (remember as lot of old people go to church) ?
    Concerts ?
    Pubs ?
    Restaurants ?

The whole country cannot come to a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Jesus people are weirdly fixated on toilet roll.

Perhaps it's due to a perceived shortage of disposable tissues (more throw away stuff) - so the bog rolls will double up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Around here we often have people complaining about the government and having a nanny state.

Now when the government leave it up to ourselves people complain about them not doing anything.

Parades ?
    Sports ?
    Concerts ?
    Pubs ?
    Restaurants ?

It may have to if its gets worse. Oh no sports events cancelled the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why? We used bleach. My mother's generation were raised like that. She rarely ailed. There was no lack of hygiene.
    Graces7, you gave the heartbreaking number of children your mother lost the other day. She may not have ailed, but those conditions were not healthy (both my own grandmothers birthed 13 children and raised 8, so I've always been aware how exposed to infection people were in the past).

We're now in a situation where we're facing a highly contagious, severe illness that can't be treated by antibiotics, and we'd be better looking at what was wrong with our public health in the past rather than romanticising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

VinLieger wrote: »
    Currently they are saying 80% infected will experience mild symptoms, however a high fever and pneumoniabare also included in what they call mild symptoms

Yeah I think they mean mild in terms of outcome not experience

Still going to be a sickly experience for most who get it like a bad cold or flu type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Was wondering why I was getting pinkeye when house sharing in the past then discovered my housemate in her wisdom was using the shower to clean the **** off the toiletbrush :eek:. **** and piss related things go down the toilet full stop.

You wont like composting toilets then 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

VinLieger wrote: »
    Currently they are saying 80% infected will experience mild symptoms, however a high fever and pneumoniabare also included in what they call mild symptoms

Do they have a figure of what % get pneumonia after contracting Covid19 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Parades ?
    Sports ?
    Concerts ?
    Pubs ?
    Restaurants ?

There is a time and a place for a nanny state and as China has shown by limiting the spread within their country drastic actions are required and are effective in these extreme circumstances

All this talk of rags and newspaper makes me want to panic buy toilet paper.

Thank god we live in a nice civilised time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thebaz wrote: »
    I understand that, but yet at least 98% of people survive , so naturallly can fight it off, similar to flu, which kills 650,000 annually according to medical reports - Panic is not good for people
    its good for businesses,markets, shops.

its not good for mentally sick people online - which seems growing trend in millions in last decade - which one would imagine should been stooped.

~3.6 deaths worldwide from a hub where 1.4billion are cramped in cities that would fit 10 ireland's easily, few cases in Italy maybe different genome or not used to harsh weather- regular seasonal flu etc, plus majority deaths going by stats from those with pre-existing conditions and upper age bracket, not kids which seems odd given they would be more suceptable.

if this crap was named different strain of flu and deaths added as is in Ireland and other countries wonder how many would go hysteric here, as to extremists we should see 10 fold increase in cases and deaths reality is most seem to recover or it has slowed down, where youd expect it to blow up massively.

at the end of the day worrying about this crap or doing anything is pointless, few severe cases and vulnerable people that should be looked after otherwise, if it spreads into summer everyone will have their shot of it

Quarantine closing off airports travels etc wont stop it. Flu is bad each season and many plough thru dont see mentioned cases every day anyone get diagnosed with it, nor its broadcasted nation or world wide how many fall dead from something that can be treated easily enough, daily.

So dont see corona virus as anything special, as number wise its not on par to having a sniffle, and its been well over couple months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So the Italian outbreak with the 1st man 38 years old really came from Bavaria somehow ?
    And the Bavarian outbreak was started by the Chinese colleague coming from Wuhan ?

Thanks for that. Understand it now.

The Bavarian outbreak was indeed started by the Chinese colleague coming from China.
    Article from the New England Journal of Medicine
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001468?fbclid=IwAR1jpHVcw4pBlmcr0JIubridJjIwlSVyV7G3DSQ9iFaMtd-mnX3d9F_WRzM

Scientists have not reconstructed yet how from Bavaria it then got to Spain (Valencia), France (Crépy-en-Valois) and Italy (Codogno).
    It was thought to be have been contained in Bavaria at that time.
    However I have not seen info on how many contacts were tested in the Bavaria epicentre in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Literally the only way china could stop it, why is everyone so unwilling to do what is the most obvious? Cus it might be a bit difficult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Lidl freezers empty this morning with people stocking up, canned goods aisle not that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Why? We used bleach. My mother's generation were raised like that. She rarely ailed. There was no lack of hygiene.
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sorry what's the connection between TB and going for a crap/ wee?
    Google open defecation and tuberculosis and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Parades ?
    Sports ?
    Concerts ?
    Pubs ?
    Restaurants ?

Of course it can't, but it's about a proportionate response - eliminating the events and circumstances that are not quite necessary. A few cancelled concerts, games and church services etc. may affect some in the pocket, but they'll hardly make much difference in the long run. The low hanging fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Not that I know of , plus I'm not sure about the legal end of it pharmacies have all sorts of regulations. Just curious as to why you ask ?
    People could avoid entering pharmacies. Sick people go to pharmacies so there might be concerns about infection if there is a major outbreak.

Seems like allowances could be made for people on repeating prescriptions in the context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

tromtipp wrote: »
    Graces7, you gave the heartbreaking number of children your mother lost the other day. She may not have ailed, but those conditions were not healthy (both my own grandmothers birthed 13 children and raised 8, so I've always been aware how exposed to infection people were in the past).

We're now in a situation where we're facing a highly contagious, severe illness that can't be treated by antibiotics, and we'd be better looking at what was wrong with our public health in the past rather than romanticising it.

Grace doesn't believe in vaccinating children against common childhood diseases either, so I'd take any medical advice from her with a pinch of salt, tbh.

Should we keep today for only posting good news for some balance? :)

Should we keep today for only posting good news for some balance? :)

That would be lovely. Do you want to start us off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

owlbethere wrote: »
    What does this mean?

Exactly what it says suggests separate introductions = infected by different people / places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aren't you an anti vaxxer Grace?

Is the risk of this child contracting Covid-19 more scary than the risk of getting measles or rubella do you think? I know which one is deadlier to children...

It's not the risk of him catching Covid-19 that I'm as concerned about. But the small possibility that he has it and spreads it to someone more vulnerable. He's 100% vaccinated. Though I do have a degree of lack of faith in our health service because in late September he was prescribed Augmentin, as the GP assumed he had a bacterial strep infection based on nothing more than looking at his throat. He had glandular fever, which presents almost identically and Amoxicillin based antibiotics like Augmentin are 100% contraindicated with glandular fever and should not be prescribed to cases of suspected strep due to the similarity of symptoms. My son had a bad reaction with a rash over his whole body, coming from the inside out and a spleen so enlarged it was visibly pushing through his torso. It made him sicker than the fever itself had and significantly delayed his recovery time and made him more vulnerable to spleen rupture.

As soon as he was prescribed the Augmentin, I questioned the GP on how sure he was that it was definitely a bacterial infection. My son had never had an antibiotic before, because I'm very conscious of antibiotic overuse as I was prescribed antibiotics all through my childhood and teens for what turned out to be an allergy. And I'm more than a bit fuçked off that despite me being so careful for years that we have a system that prioritises radio adds telling people not to overuse antibiotics over a system than ensures doctors are better equipped to actually know when an infection is viral and when it's bacterial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

How was SARS different?

There was a virology doctor’s interview from Chanel 4 posted on the thread last night explaining it.

Basically his concern was that the combination of infectivity rate an lethality rate is rather high.

He said something like Ebola is much more lethal but actually has a much lower total death count because infectivity is much, much lower. So this doctor was saying he worked on Ebola and SARS but he is much more concerned about Covid 19.

If you compare it to SARS, unless I am mistaken Covid 19 seems 3-4 times less lethal, but it is a lot more contagious and the expected number of infected people is way, way, more that 3-4 times higher (for exemple SARS wasn’t contagious enough to settle in Europe as Covid 19 just did). So even though the chance of dying from Covid 19 are lower than SARS once you have it, it will still kill significantly more people as the total number of case will be a lot higher.

That would be lovely. Do you want to start us off.

Stats in Iran today have stabilised, new cases are down and recoveries are up.

#winning

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Stats in Iran today have stabilised, new cases are down and recoveries are up.

#winning

That is actually good news. Hope they have reached the peak and it declines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

SusanC10 wrote: »
    What does this mean ?
    Are there 2 different strains in Wales ?
    Apologies for my lack of understanding.
    It's referring to mutations in the genome of the virus. The Nextstrain.org website has a good visual representation of the development of the virus.

Genomic analysis of COVID-19

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Very true... and we should thank the Chinese.

By extending the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday essentially until now and stopping all travel from the hot spots... the Chinese bought a month of time for the rest of the world... at a large cost to their own economy and lives lost.

We would have had far less time to prepare if all those Chinese people had fanned out all over the world at the end of the New Year holiday in late January.

It would have been Italy on steroids for us all in early February.

Sadly some governments sat around with their thumbs up their asses doing nothing, while the epidemic exploded.

And thank them for sars and this virus as well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There were no toilets and they went outside to go to the toilet and they used grass.

My mother recounted a wonderful rhyme to me:

In days of old, when Knights were bold, and paper hadn't been invented.
    They wiped their arse, on a blade of grass, and went away contented.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Thank you and my way too. I got an extra large ( for me!) grocery order this week which means a few extra tins of beans, mixed beans, peas, and , sardines etc, not excessive as I keep stocks well up as I am housebound etc, and always have food supplies .

And extra cat food .

Many here like you have been getting a little extra every week for months . If not needed? Fine; means buying less when all is back to normal.

Worrying if folk are panic buying now.

Every November Brother Kevin from the Capuchin Day Centre has a request for food donations, with a bit of luck myself and many others will have a abundance of food supplies that we can donate, he will be inundated with bags of Pasta, Rice and tins of all kinds of food.
    Getting supplies in now is a win win, there is no down side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement