Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That is actually good news. Hope they have reached the peak and it declines.

Could also mean they are so overwhelmed that they can’t even test and keep track of numbers anymore (not that Iranian numbers ever looked trustworthy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stats in Iran today have stabilised, new cases are down and recoveries are up.

#winning

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I belive it. /s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Boggles wrote: »
    Yes they do, but if you don't have the cash or the required cover they might as well be aliens.

92% of Americans have health insurance.
    CDC covering all testing costs. Absolute mess at the beginning but money and facilities now in place. 8 billion dollars worth.
    Hse sending out letters then claiming they are a hoax then claiming they are real..

I know which system I would prefer to be relying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No deaths recorded in Germany despite 697 cases.

Very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Lidl freezers empty this morning with people stocking up, canned goods aisle not that much better.

Which one shannon or limerick, I presume your from Clare with the name fireball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

tromtipp wrote: »
    Google open defecation and tuberculosis and learn

Yes but would this mode of infection not have as much to do with hand hygiene? It doesn't matter much whether you defecate in a toilet or some sort or out in the corner of a field, if you don't wash your hands afterwards.

Of course if you have a large number of people crapping outside in an urban or semi urban area, then you have a big issue and improvements in public sewage did much to improve public health in the 19th century etc. The question here though related to rural Ireland (as we were a rural population) so we would have had smaller family groups with their own local arrangements.

Surely the main vector for TB transmission in Ireland was by respiratory means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

That is actually good news. Hope they have reached the peak and it declines.

having a laugh?

40% of Tehran population to contract COVID-19: Expert

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/40-of-tehran-population-to-contract-covid-19-expert/1757628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

VinLieger wrote: »
    Literally the only way china could stop it, why is everyone so unwilling to do what is the most obvious? Cus it might be a bit difficult?

China is a communist dictatorship.

Getting people to do what they are told there is much easier to do than in a modern western democracy.

Let's not take our lead from China, we cannot even be sure any information we get from them is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Grace doesn't believe in vaccinating children against common childhood diseases either, so I'd take any medical advice from her with a pinch of salt, tbh.

Also, Grace probably is a fictional character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Has anyone here been tested at home yet? How long were ye waiting for results?

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Well it looks like this thread has literally gone to sh!te. I’m off today to stock up the freezer with meat.

May I suggest cooking then freezing some of that meat. The apocalypse could take the electricity down with it.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Has anyone here been tested at home yet? How long were ye waiting for results?

Does the doctor have to wear hazmat suit or mask if they are testing you at home?

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Serious question if people are cancelling events themselves like meals out, corporate get together etc how many people will actually turn out to watch the parades? I’d imagine some people will just stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

No deaths recorded in Germany despite 697 cases.

Very positive

I totally agree, but it's a strange feeling commending a health care system that I believe is on the tipping-point of disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was life before soft toilet paper. It did not appear until about 60 years ago. We managed fine and are doing again ;)
    Yes, once the grass gets growing, I don't see any problem. Hiker talking.... :)

i am just cooking some of my Armageddon stock, meat preserved in salt, seems to have crystallized the meat to make it white but anyWHO, desperate times/measures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

otnomart wrote: »
    Age profile of the fatalities in France is similar to Italy.
    Except the the first French victim (who had no links to neither China nor Italy) who was only 60 years old.
    https://www.pourquoidocteur.fr/Articles/Question-d-actu/31737-Coronavirus-9-personnes-decedees-France

A lot of non-elderly people are dying in Italy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Just back from our weekly shop, manic it was, worse than Christmas Eve, 90% of the pasta and toilet paper gone, feral children everywhere poking and pawing. We didn't get anything we normally wouldn't get other than surface wipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Not all cases contract pneumonia, anyone contracting pneumonia would be under the "severe" header and not under the mild header.

13.8% of people fell under that banner and got it AFAIK.

gabeeg wrote: »
    I totally agree, but it's a strange feeling commending a health care system that I believe is on the tipping-point of disaster.

The German cases and the lack of fatalities suggest this is a lot milder there than elsewhere.

Even German doctors are saying it's pretty much just a cold to varying degrees for vast majority.

That's the most positive news today.

Hopefully it remains the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does the doctor have to wear hazmat suit or mask if they are testing you at home?

Anyone know?

Can't imagine so, standard paramedic precautions I'd say.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    I am in no way advising stockpilingg but I do think it would be prudent for everyone to have a 5 - 7 day supply of paracetamol in the house incase of a temp and I would add electrolytes as well. Just my 2 cent. I don't think anyone will starve to death and we would even survive without toilet paper but it's important if anyone had a high temp that it be treated .

Its not a case of surviving at home if under a lock down, i want to be comfortable, there is no know cure, if i get infected i want to be a comfortable as possible, without stress worrying about supplies while i suffer through this virus at home.
    The time will come that the hospitals cant take any more patients, you will be told to go home and ride it out as best you can, this is what is happening else where, it will happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mic 1972 wrote: »

I heard on a report on Tuesday or Wednesday that up to then the youngest person to have died died in Italy was 67.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I was in Tesco Wilton this morning at 9:15. The shelves were empty of hand washing soap (except Imperial Leather!), Anti-bactetial wipes and was very low on toilet and kitchen paper. I saw people pushing trollies with 6 to 8 packets of toilet paper.

I stocked up on Chilli nuts (my one weakness!). Two packets should see me through the weekend.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The reason the Dublin parade isnt cancelled yet is a fine balance on timing
    It will be cancelled but the visitors must come

As long as everyone obeys hygiene protocols, theres no problem
    Drunk people mightnt

Just to say ‘Thank you’ for all the messages last night, I was overwhelmed, it meant so much. It really did.

Irish people are the best in world and on behalf of everyone that is caught in a vulnerable situation right now, Boards.ie is good people. So thank you. Thank you.

I skipped over 800 posts last night. What happened, are you ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Source? Italy announced on Thursday that all fatalities were over 65 with underlying health issues?

ftse and Dow Jones are flat today, humanity can breathe easy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The reason the Dublin parade isnt cancelled yet is a fine balance on timing
    It will be cancelled but the visitors must come

As long as everyone obeys hygiene protocols, theres no problem
    Drunk people mightnt

Hadn't thought of that.

The parade is the issue really. People if they come will understand if its cancelled or curtailed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

owlbethere wrote: »
    I wonder are there any tests available to see if someone already got this virus?

I was checking some timelines last night about Corona. People started appearing in hospitals in Wuhan in December with pneumonia and fever. It all started there. Taking what we know now, 14 days approx incubation and another few more weeks disease progression - this virus probably would have began around about October. Wuhan went into lock down mode in January. That's 2-3 months of disease spreading there.

I'd imagine this is why there has been no real effort to contain it with travel bans and cancelling gatherings. Its been around for a lot longer than is being said and only with testing is this becoming more and more apparent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement