Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes but would this mode of infection not have as much to do with hand hygiene? It doesn't matter much whether you defecate in a toilet or some sort or out in the corner of a field, if you don't wash your hands afterwards.

Of course if you have a large number of people crapping outside in an urban or semi urban area, then you have a big issue and improvements in public sewage did much to improve public health in the 19th century etc. The question here though related to rural Ireland (as we were a rural population) so we would have had smaller family groups with their own local arrangements.

Surely the main vector for TB transmission in Ireland was by respiratory means?

Of course it matters. Do you think the poo just disappears from the field and doesn't go into water sources.

Have a look at rates of infection of disease and child mortality in countries like India that open defecate. It's a huge public health problem

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Seamai wrote: »
    Just back from our weekly shop, manic it was, worse than Christmas Eve, 90% of the pasta and toilet paper gone, feral children everywhere poking and pawing. We didn't get anything we normally wouldn't get other than surface wipes.

Where is this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

iguana wrote: »
    Source? Italy announced on Thursday that all fatalities were over 65 with underlying health issues?

An Italian study analysed the 105 dead (as per 4 March).

Average Age: 81

67.2% had three or more other health conditions:
    • High blood pressure (74,6%),
    • cardiovascular deasease (70,4%)
    • diabetes (33,8%)
    https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/ass...ent/id/5286166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's verging on miraculous:eek:

Singapore has had none either. That's what you get with a first world health system. Unfortunately ours is second grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

iguana wrote: »
    Source? Italy announced on Thursday that all fatalities were over 65 with underlying health issues?

the daily news are my source, last one was 60 yo doctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Blueshoe wrote: »
    92% of Americans have health insurance.
    CDC covering all testing costs. Absolute mess at the beginning but money and facilities now in place. 8 billion dollars worth.
    Hse sending out letters then claiming they are a hoax then claiming they are real..

I know which system I would prefer to be relying on.

I don’t know where you are getting that figure. Anyway, the bottom line in the US is that they don’t have any kind of cover for being off sick. This is what scares my US friends the most. They know that the average worker can’t afford to take a week off. People go into work when they’re ill.
    Health insurance? Their health insurance is not like ours. If they have it at all, it is not that great, you may have insurance that only covers certain blood tests etc. You may have insurance with a high excess. And even if you have insurance, you just can’t be off work for too long. Remember, no social welfare. And a president who pooh poohs the importance of this virus.

Give me the HSE any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Seamai wrote: »
    I heard on a report on Tuesday or Wednesday that up to then the youngest person to have died died in Italy was 67.

Italy has the second oldest population in the world after Japan. Italy's COVID-19 mortality is within the average range if you adjust for age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,146 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My nose is very itchy.
    I’m going to risk scratching it but I’ll put a disinfectant on my glove first.
    It’s getting very difficult to stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

tromtipp wrote: »
    Graces7, you gave the heartbreaking number of children your mother lost the other day. She may not have ailed, but those conditions were not healthy (both my own grandmothers birthed 13 children and raised 8, so I've always been aware how exposed to infection people were in the past).

We're now in a situation where we're facing a highly contagious, severe illness that can't be treated by antibiotics, and we'd be better looking at what was wrong with our public health in the past rather than romanticising it.

Inclined to agree but surely there are many factors that contributed towards improvements in survival rates. Diet, education, improved housing, safer transport, public water treatment and sewage disposal as well as advances in drug, medical practice and surgery.

I've visited some elderly people in my time living in what would be regarded as fairly primitive conditions by 21st century standards and yet their kitchens and toilets whilst simple were clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Where is this ?

Dunnes Bishop's Court Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Speaking for me I see no evidence whatsoever of panic buying in local stores in north Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tillyfilly wrote: »
    ftse and Dow Jones are flat today, humanity can breathe easy

I predict the same for tomorrow - win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hand hygiene will only have a small effect on the spread of the virus, despite the relentless propaganda on rte the last couple of days.

Main mode of infection is droplets through the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The German cases and the lack of fatalities suggest this is a lot milder there than elsewhere.

Even German doctors are saying it's pretty much just a cold to varying degrees for vast majority.

That's the most positive news today.

Hopefully it remains the case.

Maybe we should all visit Germany and get their version of coronavirus.

Like a global measles party

otnomart wrote: »

• diabetes (33,8%)

This doesn't show the % of people who no health conditions and who was outside of the elderly bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Does the doctor have to wear hazmat suit or mask if they are testing you at home?

Anyone know?

Im I'm not too sure how this will work.

A paramedic goes into a house to test, and he's wearing protective wear. He will have to take that gear off and change into new gear for testing at a different house to minimise transmission from surfaces etc. There's a shortage of gear.

I don't know how it will work.

The Garda station testing was a good one. Maybe centres can be set up in Garda barracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

My nose is very itchy.
    I’m going to risk scratching it but I’ll put a disinfectant on my glove first.
    It’s getting very difficult to stay safe.

Admittedly i have made zero extra effort. Others around me have made zero extra effort by the looks of it too. I also travel the country quite a bit for work.

I have the potential to be a biological weapon.

I will try harder to follow recommended guidelines from Monday on though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A Summer seasonal hotel in the midlands, due to open in two weeks, has postponed opening until May due to a large number of booking cancellations. 80% of their trade comes from within our borders. Other hotels are also beginning to feel the pinch.
    I think not going to large gatherers in the near future is sensible but these cancellations are a little OTT imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

jackboy wrote: »
    Hand hygiene will only have a small effect on the spread of the virus, despite the relentless propaganda on rte the last couple of days.

You do know viruses can stay on objects? If somebody comes along and sneezes, you can come along touch the surface and then touch your face. So it's not just droplets through the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

otnomart wrote: »

• diabetes (33,8%)

That backs up my post. There aren't plenty of young people dying of Covid-19 in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    This doesn't show the % of people who no health conditions and who was outside of the elderly bracket

No it doesn't. You made the claim, you post the proof of your claim.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Stats in Iran today have stabilised, new cases are down and recoveries are up.

#winning

The Muslim world shuts down on Friday for Prayers, would not expect they where working at full steam yesterday, i expect the numbers to rise in next press release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Speaking for me I see no evidence whatsoever of panic buying in local stores in north Dub.

No panic in Naas either. So you might have a prob getting those finicky little sanitisers. Everything else is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    A lot of non-elderly people are dying in Italy too

• 42.2% between 80 and 89
    • 32.4% between 70 and 79
    • 14.1% over 90
    • 8.4% between 60 and 69
    • 2.8% between 50 and 59
    https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5286166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jackboy wrote: »

Droplets land somewhere.

Also, plenty of gobshites cough into the hands and then proceed to touch surfaces of money etc. You touch the same surface then then stick your finger up your nose for a good oul' root around and sure bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

And thank them for sars and this virus as well ?

Before going off on a sinophobic rant you should realize that the so called Spanish Flu of 1918/19 which killed between 50 and 100 million people probably started in a pig farm in Kansas.

The swine-origin influenza which first appeared in 2009 was also first found in human beings in North America. Influenza is quite common in pigs, with about half of breeding pigs having been exposed to the virus in the US. It is estimated that in the 2009 flu pandemic 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million to 1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. However, with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities,

The fact is that pathogens have been making the jump from animals to humans for millennia. It's just a matter of chance where that happens and moaning about China now serves no useful purpose, it's here and we must deal with it.

BTW...DNA and RNA sequencing suggests that measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, and diphtheria came to humans this way. Various forms of the common cold and tuberculosis also are adaptations of strains originating in other species.

No it doesn't. You made the claim, you post the proof of your claim.

He clearly states that young people get sick and die too. There is no specific at risk category. Statistically older people die more easily, but young people are at risk of dying too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd imagine this is why there has been no real effort to contain it with travel bans and cancelling gatherings. Its been around for a lot longer than is being said and only with testing is this becoming more and more apparent.
    The common ancestor of all virus genome sequences is most likely from late November - a few weeks before the outbreak in Wuhan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

You do know viruses can stay on objects? If somebody comes along and sneezes, you can come along touch the surface and then touch your face. So it's not just droplets through the air.

No but the majority of infections are due to droplets. Hand hygiene will only reduce infections to a small degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

digitaldr wrote: »
    Italy has the second oldest population in the world after Japan. Italy's COVID-19 mortality is within the average range if you adjust for age.

Italy is and will probably always be my default holiday destination, for all it's shortcomings. You're absolutely correct, they have a very high life expectancy and a much higher proportion of elderly. In many places they post death notices on walls in busy parts of town with the funeral details, it's very common to see notices of people well into their 90's and not unusual to be beyond 100.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement