Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I don't wish to labour the point, but the original question was what (Irish) people did before soft bog paper. Not India.

The house we live in now had a family of 7 as far as I know in the mid 1900s before they got a bathroom under the county council scheme in the 1970s. They used potties and the corner of the field, they got their water from a separate spring. Nowadays we had a family of 6, we have a septic tank that drains to one part of the field and a bored well in another part. What's the difference, other than convenience?

My point about India is that it shows what happens when you defecate openly.

Honestly if you don't know the difference I am not going to explain to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I keep hearing people can be asymptomatic. If they have the virus and not showing signs, will they eventually end up with the symptoms?

Last I read, the WHO says most people do eventually show symptoms. But we just don't know because people with no symptoms are unlikely to be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

citysights wrote: »
    My elderly mother came back from her weekly Tesco shop yesterday, girl at check out told here there is a mad run on people stocking up and toilet paper was number one item.,My mother was baffled as to why people were stocking up on toilet paper! I

Well, if you’ve got to eat nothing but survivalist food rations, like your stockpile of Spam, endless baked beans and those tinned Christmas dinners, then you’ll need a lot of toilet roll and a very effective plunger.

People are most definitely over panicking on these things in the US and Australia and it almost definitely tends to spread virally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I keep hearing people can be asymptomatic. If they have the virus and not showing signs, will they eventually end up with the symptoms?

Not necessarily but can pass on the more vulnerable people.

Majority have mild illness they may not notice. The issue is when is causes pneumonia and or ards from the inflammatory response.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding that it definitely causes pneumonia. That’s not the case. Also the long term sequela are caused mostly by severe pneumonia etc not just by having the virus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Its positive surely that there is only 18 cases.

I'm more positive about the situation in Ireland as we have yet to see any double digit increases. Pleasantly surprised with the figures yesterday, only 5.

We might get a few more through more testing but my gut feeling is it's looking good right now.

It starts slow then grows quickly.
    At least that's what we've seen in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Burty330 wrote: »
    Thinking about procuring a shooter (or two) on the black market. The legality of it won't concern me if society falls into disarray.

Better you have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    I think you maybe need to chill out...it's not gonna turn into mad Max overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Thinking about procuring a shooter (or two) on the black market. The legality of it won't concern me if society falls into disarray.

FYI society fell into disarray around the millennium.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

iguana wrote: »
    Last I read, the WHO says most people do eventually show symptoms. But we just don't know because people with no symptoms are unlikely to be tested.

I think a lot of the apparent asymptomatic cases were actually presymptomatic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

They normally ship them in parts. You'll find the assembly manual easy enough online. Ammunition is the hardest part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And what about flights from Germany ?Or even Rome, or Paris.Let's say someone was in northern Italy and they flew back to Ireland on a connecting flight via any one of the above How do you stop that ?How many people that travel to Ireland from northern Italy go direct anyway ?

What about Teddybears? What about Kittens? Howsbout we deal where those who are infected here are coming from first?

Yes restrictions will catch the majority of eejits flying to and from infected regions in Northern Italy. Will there still be some outlying eejits? Sure there will. Doesn't mean we throw the baby out the window just because of that.

Bonus Question: Where have the bulk of the infectious cases came from?

Extra points for a coherent answer ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I don't 'blame' the Chinese and it's a very difficult situation to legislate for, but epidemiologists have been expressing concern about wet markets for years now. ie if there's ever going to be a catastrophic pandemic, more than likely that's where it's going to start. Looking at some of the photos of these markets that's hard to argue with, it's a miracle it hasn't happened until now. Then again maybe epidemiologists are big xenophobes too?

Well we did take full responsibility for SARS 1 and stopped eating cows forever so we have practised what we are now preaching to the Chinese...:rolleyes:

The biggest issue with this was the Chinese authorities trying to suppress information from the start. That’s not the fault of its people and it’s a bad precedent to hold an entire culture responsible for this. What if it’s proven that Guinness makes people stupid and people start blaming the Irish? People should put themselves in Chinese people’s shoes and ask how they would feel if they were branded something negative for something they themselves have little to do with.

Virus’s are going to happen, turning on an entire country is a quite backward thinking response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Burty330 wrote:

Burty330 wrote:

Just when I thought we had reached peak idiot.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm posting the video again, he talks about asymptomatic patients too. minute 3:16

Basically they are very rare. The vast majority of so-called asymptomatic eventually develop symtptoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

digitaldr wrote: »
    Maybe St Patrick's day should actually be cancelled/deferred - ie just make it another working day. Of course this wouldn't stop the influx of visitors.
    It’d stop a large concentration of people being in the one place for hours (the parade) if it was cancelled/deferred. They did it before (2001). I’m not sure why they’re not deferring it. Maybe that decision is next week’s news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Xertz wrote: »
    Well, if you’ve got to eat nothing but survivalist food rations, like your stockpile of Spam, endless baked beans and those tinned Christmas dinners, then you’ll need a lot of toilet roll and a very effective plunger.

People are most definitely over panicking on these things in the US and Australia and it almost definitely tends to spread virally.

Wouldn't water be the best thing to stock up on? Keep hydrated and if you get sick, drink more to flush the virus out of your system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Jesus.
    18?? That’s scary.

Time we all started taking this seriously I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Graces7 wrote: »
    I get all my OTC meds by post; there are several pharmacies doing an excellent swift postal or courier service. Next day delivery. I use one in Buncrana.. ask google? Reminds me I need more Piriton.

Myself too. Have a nice order of probiotics made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    He clearly states that young people get sick and die too. There is no specific at risk category. Statistically older people die more easily, but young people are at risk of dying too

yes in another interview with canadian tv he said that the most concerning thing he took away from his visit to china was there were many cases of healthy 30,40 and 50 year olds who caught the virus and when they did they died quickly. and doctors there have no clue as why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Runaways wrote: »
    Jesus.
    18?? That’s scary.

how is your cold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wouldn't water be the best thing to stock up on? Keep hydrated and if you get sick, drink more to flush the virus out of your system?

Wouldn't you just boil or filter tap water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tillyfilly wrote: »
    just in aldi now, empty boxes everywhere

That doesn't prove anything really. You'll see empty corners most weekends in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

bb12 wrote: »
    yes in another interview with canadian tv he said that the most concerning thing he took away from his visit to china was there were many cases of healthy 30,40 and 50 year olds who caught the virus and when they did they died quickly. and doctors there have no clue as why

Yep, he says that in this video too
    Young people dying are not talked about in the press to avoid concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

otnomart wrote: »
    Europe already is getting the German version of Coronavirus

The strain in Europe is the same and originates from the first patient in Germany, or Bavaria Patient 1 (shortened in BavPat1)
    Reseach has established the samples from (so far) Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico are all related to Bavaria Patient 1 , who was infected by a colleague from China.

Wonder how our Galway poster that works in Munich coping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

tillyfilly wrote: »
    how is your cold?

Haha:)
    Eating solpadol but still a sweating freezing coughing mess in bed but thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Jesus.
    18?? That’s scary.

Are you feeling better?

Are you still in hospital?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Seen a couple of posts complaining about other posters saying they don't seem to understand that there are people behind the numbers.

Everyone knows these are real people but not everyone is the same where they start wailing with the crowd. We are all different in how we see the world some are clinical, some hypersensitive.
    Either way stop having a go at those that seem clinical in how they post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Haha:)
    Eating solpadol but still a sweating freezing coughing mess in bed but thanks :)

at least you are not over 70!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Drumpot wrote: »
    Well we did take full responsibility for SARS 1 and stopped eating cows forever so we have practised what we are now preaching to the Chinese...:rolleyes:

The biggest issue with this was the Chinese authorities trying to suppress information from the start. That’s not the fault of its people and it’s a bad precedent to hold an entire culture responsible for this. What if it’s proven that Guinness makes people stupid and people start blaming the Irish? People should put themselves in Chinese people’s shoes and ask how they would feel if they were branded something negative for something they themselves have little to do with.

Virus’s are going to happen, turning on an entire country is a quite backward thinking response.

SARS has nothing to do with cows. Bats is the most likely source. In China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

That doesn't prove anything really. You'll see empty corners most weekends in most supermarkets.
    I think that was a joke. The picture looked like a picture of stockfill empty boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Drumpot wrote: »

I disagree, the biggest issue was the virus transmitting itself, which is directly attributable to having loads of live/dead/exotic animals together in a tight space with lax hygiene. That's why thousands of people are dead. Why is it verboten to say 'this is how it started, let's reflect on what we can do to stop another one starting'?
    And like I said i'm not blaming an entire nationality, any more than I blame all Irish people for the fact that we're notorious for greyhound abuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement