Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fear causes people to act irrationally and make bad decisions.

This thread is full of doom-mongers and misery-junkies, stoking fear and wallowing in anxiety.

If the Government followed some of the advice on here we would be facing a full-on crisis.

Time for people to 'adult-up' indeed.

No one is advocating ill informed hysteria. The facts speak for themselves here.

As for people making bad decisions and acting irrationally...

The country would keel over if plane loads of people from Wuhan were coming, there would be mass quarantining, people meeting them in Hazmat suits.
    However plane loads of Italians are coming and we are meeting them with taxi drivers and pints, giving them the run of the city knowing that on a cheap city break they won't be in a position to take a single conservative measure to prevent transmission of a virus quite rampant in their country.

This is a "sure it'll be grand, nothing to fear here but fear itself" sort of decision. It is not rational in the face of this illness and its effects on a crumbling health service.

Authorities facing the facts and acting from a place of justified prudent fear to keep us safe is what we need. A public worried and demanding preemptive action is important here. Some of us might feel the need to be cajoled and pampered through this with lies and pats on the back, the rest of us don't want to lose our parents /already ill loved ones to that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Just when I thought we had reached peak idiot.....

Some dummy always bites. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Are you feeling better?

Are you still in hospital?:)

No. Did you not see my post?
    They called me last night and said come back in there’s ‘a complication’ with my results.
    She said she couldn’t discuss it over he phone. I lost the head and hung up.
    Called the number back and it’s the finance section? Went to answering machine.

My pal tells me they have all hands on deck in loads of CS depts answering phones.
    I’m going back in on Tuesday like they asked originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

TDbw5C.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That doesn't prove anything really. You'll see empty corners most weekends in most supermarkets.

It's a stock photo, the idiot in question just linked it from somewhere else ;)
    Reverse image search it and see just how old it is too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

KWAG2019 wrote: »

He gives a very good over view of the international picture as well as here.Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Runaways wrote: »
    No. Did you not see my post?
    They called me last night and said come back in there’s ‘a complication’ with my results.
    She said she couldn’t discuss it over he phone. I lost the head and hung up.
    Called the number back and it’s the finance section? Went to answering machine.

My pal tells me they have all hands on deck in loads of CS depts answering phones.
    I’m going back in on Tuesday like they asked originally.

Sorry did not see your post last night.

However I hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grace doesn't believe in vaccinating children against common childhood diseases either, so I'd take any medical advice from her with a pinch of salt, tbh.

OH DEAR!

That is not true. I have always believed in childhood vaccinations ; the only caveat was that new vaccines need care . You need to be careful what you read!

REALLY!

PS I also said that I cannot take vaccines as my immune system is severely compromised and a vaccine could kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I don't 'blame' the Chinese and it's a very difficult situation to legislate for, but epidemiologists have been expressing concern about wet markets for years now. ie if there's ever going to be a catastrophic pandemic, more than likely that's where it's going to start. Looking at some of the photos of these markets that's hard to argue with, it's a miracle it hasn't happened until now. Then again maybe epidemiologists are big xenophobes too?

Ohh I agree the 'wet markets' were an absolute disgrace and a petri dish for the next pandemic and should be shut down immediately. The Chinese are not alone with unsavory husbandry practices, the widespread influenza in battery farmed pigs in America for instance is another disaster waiting to happen.

I understand that the bat virus Covid-19 may have first spread to an intermediate animal, possibly the pangolin, an endangered species trafficked in China for its scales and meat and used in traditional Chinese Medicine.

My point was that the next pandemic could start anywhere on earth... it's just a matter of luck where it actually happens.

Even in Ireland ?

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just done my usual weekly shop. I bought double everything but bigger packs of mince and chicken for freezing. The same as last week.

That should see me out for a 3 weeks or so if I had to isolate.

Next I'm off to buy a guitar. Always wanted to learn to play so now could be a good opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why follow from Monday onwards. Start now.

Takes at least 48 hours to make it inactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xertz wrote: »
    Well, if you’ve got to eat nothing but survivalist food rations, like your stockpile of Spam, endless baked beans and those tinned Christmas dinners, then you’ll need a lot of toilet roll and a very effective plunger.

People are most definitely over panicking on these things in the US and Australia and it almost definitely tends to spread virally.

We are not stocking survivalist rations! Ordinary food! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

mossie wrote: »
    I work in a public office. Yesterday we had a customer who stood in front of my colleague and sneezed, no effort to cover his mouth. Luckily there was a glass screen between them which was liberally coated with spit. We cleaned it with disinfectant wipes right away but if not it was on the surface to spread. There were others sneezing in their hands and then handling money. Most people will be careful but you have the few who will never take precautions or follow guidelines.

I see this all the time, there seems to be a large chunk of the population who have never used a handkerchief, paper or otherwise in their life. I'd never leave the house without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Burty330 wrote:
    Some dummy always bites.

Real edgy . Ground breaking stuff. Give yourself a cookie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I disagree, the biggest issue was the virus transmitting itself, which is directly attributable to having loads of live/dead/exotic animals together in a tight space with lax hygiene. That's why thousands of people are dead. Why is it verboten to say 'this is how it started, let's reflect on what we can do to stop another one starting'?

Where did I say we can’t reflect on how this happened and how we can prevent it happening again.

There’s a difference between that and painting an entire country as persona non grata. All cultures make f**k ups and many country has made decisions that had huge knock on effects to neighbors or other countries. Think of literally any war anytime anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just done my usual weekly shop. I bought double everything but bigger packs of mince and chicken for freezing. The same as last week.

That should see me out for a 3 weeks or so if I had to isolate.

Next I'm off to buy a guitar. Always wanted to learn to play so now could be a good opportunity.

OT but don’t be afraid to spend a good bit for a good guitar. Takamine or Martin.
    If you go cheap you’ll get a crap one and it’ll let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Real edgy . Ground breaking stuff. Give yourself a cookie

Hey , you got reeled like like a stupid mackerel. It happens. Don't feel too bad about it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

There are 18 rapid response cars out around the country today, available for home testing for people who have reported possible Covid-19 symptoms and who meet the at-risk criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Seamai wrote: »
    I see this all the time, there seems to be a large chunk of the population who have never used a handkerchief, paper or otherwise in their life. I'd never leave the house without one.

You've never had a sneeze come on suddenly where you had no time to react? It does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If we have any uptick in new cases I doubt we'd be waiting for an evening press conference.

Anyone know if these take place over weekend?

I'd say cases related to a surge would be leaked well before hand anyhow.

• Advertisement

Burty330 wrote:
    Hey , you got reeled like like a stupid mackerel. It happens. Don't feel too bad about it!!

I stand by my peak idiot comment. See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Are we done with updates until Monday evening now?

amor3 wrote:
    Are we done with updates until Monday evening now?

I imagine there will be updates. Just no pressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

I was on a sideline this morning at a kids soccer match and heard one of the parents saying it doesn’t affect kids. Some people are so naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Burty330 wrote: »
    Some dummy always bites. ;)

So clever. I'm so impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Do we know all the counties the eighteen people with Coronavirus come from or is it all still top secret

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

From the guardian:

As Greece steps up measures to contain an outbreak of coronavirus in the west of the country, there is growing concern over the stance of Greek Orthodox clerics who have refused to postpone church services and suspend Christian rites.

Although the Holy Synod, the church’s ruling body, has endorsed many of the preventative measures, it has steadfastly rejected calls for practices such as Holy Communion to be halted. To the alarm of scientists, high-ranking metropolitans have invoked religious belief as a bulwark again Covid-19. In extraordinary exchanges on TV, bishops have argued that sacraments such as the Holy Eucharist should remain off limits because they are God-given.

“Whoever believes that Holy Communion and the church are life has nothing to fear,” the Bishop of Patras, Chrysostomos, told Open News. “There has been no case, anywhere, of a virus or any other illness being transmitted through Holy Communion.”

Prominent virologists have also come out in support of the powerful religious institution.

One well-known professor of infectious diseases said while people aged 65 and over with underlying health issues would be better off avoiding church, she belonged to those who would still attend services - in Greece often held in crowded chapels.

“When you go to take Holy Communion, you don’t take it out of habit but because it the body and blood of Christ,” Eleni Giamarellou, professor of infectious diseases at the University of Athens told local media. “Those who want to take the sacraments should not fear that germs could be transmitted through Holy Communion.”

The stance has raised fears of further transmissions in a country where cases of coronavirus rose from 8 on Monday to 46 today.

In a statement, the Federation of Hospital Doctors’ Unions, slammed what it described as obscurantist views, suggesting that some professionals were putting religious beliefs before the strictures of profession. “We will be on the front line of defending scientific truth against metaphysical [theories] and every other kind of obscurantism,” it said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tillyfilly wrote: »
    just in aldi now, empty boxes everywhere

Bull**** like this needs to be called out for what it is.
    This isn't a photo the poster took in Aldi just now.

It's a stock photo taken on the 31/10/2018.

The poster just decided to add a little spice to their panic and rumour mill.

Original photo and link below.

Don't assume anyone, anywhere on the internet posting on an anonymous forum isn't just spreading spurious bull**** for their own amusement.

https://www.alamy.com/packagingempty-cardboard-boxesin-aldi-supermarket-uk-image224307094.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I imagine there will be updates. Just no pressers.

Is that for sure?

Like I say can't see secrets being kept anyway.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Good thinking, Batman!

How much is a piano?

I was gonna teach myself Italian but I do t think I’ll be going there in a hurry now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement