Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

HSE Twitter live stream here: https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1235567485014773770?s=20

It is the most civil-service scene imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Shocking numbers coming out of Europe today..most country's cases have doubled in number again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gabeeg wrote: »
    "IT'S JUST A FLU"

In the grand scheme of things with baths, showers and dishwashers would more people washing their hands really cause a spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Putting together a bullsh!t bingo card for the boards corona virus discussion... I'm sure I missed a few obvious ones:

This is no worse than flu

This is way worse than flu

Eh, the flu kills a bizillion people so even if they were similar it's still the end of the world

Something about percentages to calm people

Something about percentages to panic people

Arguments about the actual percentage

Comical Ali = The HSE/Simon Harris/Leo Varadkar/Some other official

Somehow blaming Sinn Fein

Someone essentially claiming they know more than an expert in some medical field

Nature always finds a way

CLOSE ALL THE PORTS AND AIRPORTS!!!!!! NOW!!!!

I hope the virus doesn't spread as quickly as this thread.

Somebody posting some new news that's already been mentioned 500 times

Unless you're old or have an underlying condition then just go about your life as normal

Oh, so the ederly don't matter!!!

People need to calm down!

People need to CALM UP!!!!

Throw in some Flat 7up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

JDD wrote: »
    Finally. No new cases today yet.

I bet some will be disappointed by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Oh, I just reread the bit I quoted, you're right actually that article suggests dormancy rather than re-infections in those cases.

I knew I read an article yesterday about it linking to endocrine receptors, although I can't seem to track it down now unfortunately.

The John Campbell video gives the clear explanation for reinfection though,
    and I found this (regrettably Daily Mail) article which explains it as well.

It's a complete oxymoron brought about by circular logic. On the News on RTÉ 1: "We currently don't have community transmission here" "we are testing people who have had direct contact with people who have travelled from affected regions."

But how can you effectively detect community transmission if you're only testing those particular people?

On Saturday I met a person who flies all over the world and has contact with all sorts of people. She is back in her home country now and self-isolating on the advice of her government due to her risk factor. I was drinking with her for four hours. If I presented with symptoms, why would they not treat me as a potential case?

I think it has to go over 100 people or something like that (UK policy anyway) before they abandon contact tracing guidelines, then you can get tested as a result of community transmission. I heard from a mate that a few wards in NUIG has been closed down and apparently a nursing home in Galway city too. Whether this will get confirmed I don't know, but it looks like things are taking off.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

BloodBath wrote: »
    The supply chain is fine although there may well be shortages nationwide on hand sanitiser. That is 1 item that sales have exploded in.

Which makes sense as it's the one and only item that evidence suggests people actually should be buying more of (as in the average customer should buy 1 instead of 0), and it's a niche product that wouldn't have been particularly highly stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JDD wrote: »
    Finally. No new cases today yet.

News of all 6 of Ireland's cases has been announced in the evening - after 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BigMo1 wrote: »
    HSE Twitter live stream here: https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1235567485014773770?s=20

It is the most civil-service scene imaginable.
    JEsus christ this sign language bollix, can't they just subtitle the ****ing thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

TomSweeney wrote: »
    JEsus christ this sign language bollix, can't they just subtitle the ****ing thing ?

Sign language is not bollix :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Cw85 wrote: »
    The Flu virus is an unpredictable virus.

If you are healthy you will usually recover in 7 days. But Flu can be severe and can cause serious illness and death.

Complications of flu include bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections and rarely acute encephalopathy (swelling of the brain).

Serious complications of flu are more likely if you have a chronic medical condition or if you are aged 65 years or older. Pregnant women are also at increased risk of flu complications.

In Ireland, between 200 and 500 people, mainly older people, die from flu each winter.

Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths.

Not my numbers fella, straight from the HSE website
    gabeeg wrote: »
    No, the journal are quoting the HSE.
    I can get you the Irish Times quoting the HSE if you like?

I'm saying that the piece the HSE has put up on its website is way off. Perhaps they're calculating those numbers over a long period of time, but it does not reflect the reality today.

Guys, you are both right, in a way.

Most people who die after getting the Flu don't "die from the Flu". Just like the Corona, the people most at risk are those with underlying medical conditions or with weakened immune systems. So every year many people (particularly elderly people) who get the Flu will die as a result of pneumonia, COPD, heart failure, multi-organ failure, etc.,following on from the initial infection. If these figures are combined (as they are being combined for the Corona) then the higher estimate appears correct:

"Dr Kevin Kelleher, HSE assistant national director for public health, said he expected the number of deaths directly related to the flu to reach 100 in the coming weeks.
    "However, he said many people who died after being admitted to hospital with the flu had other underlying conditions.
    “So they will die from pneumonia, they will die from their heart disease or something else, and that figure longer term is normally around 300 or 400 in total,” he said."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/flu-outbreak-linked-to-18-deaths-and-strain-on-emergency-departments-1.4125414

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Interesting:

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/analysis/coronavirus-mers-cov-drugs/
    The National Medical Products Administration of China has approved the use of Favilavir, an anti-viral drug, as a treatment for coronavirus. The drug has reportedly shown efficacy in treating the disease with minimal side effects in a clinical trial involving 70 patients. The clinical trial is being conducted in Shenzhen, Guangdong province.

Well it's a novel virus, so the evidence that we have to go on is limited, which is why I'm merely suggesting that attempting to get infected to 'get through it' is not recommended at this point.

Here is a study of the SARS virus where the "localization of ACE2 expression in the endocrine part of the pancreas suggests that SARS coronavirus enters islets using ACE2 as its receptor and damages islets causing acute diabetes".

I'm still trying to find the link to the more thorough article from yesterday which was a study of a patient with Encephalitis.

Ah, here is a similar one.

I don't understand how this has anything to do with endocrine receptors acting as a reservoir for the drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

1641 wrote: »
    Guys, you are both right, in a way.

Most people who die after getting the Flu don't "die from the Flu". Just like the Corona, the people most at risk are those with underlying medical conditions or with weakened immune systems. So every year many people (particularly elderly people) who get the Flu will die as a result of pneumonia, COPD, heart failure, multi-organ failure, etc.,following on from the initial infection. If these figures are combined (as they are being combined for the Corona) then the higher estimate appears correct:

"Dr Kevin Kelleher, HSE assistant national director for public health, said he expected the number of deaths directly related to the flu to reach 100 in the coming weeks.
    "However, he said many people who died after being admitted to hospital with the flu had other underlying conditions.
    “So they will die from pneumonia, they will die from their heart disease or something else, and that figure longer term is normally around 300 or 400 in total,” he said."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/flu-outbreak-linked-to-18-deaths-and-strain-on-emergency-departments-1.4125414

Oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Quote:
    Originally Posted by circadian View Post
    45 pages in 4 and a half hours. What's the turnover on these threads? Every 3 or 4 days?
    tuxy wrote: »
    Yes that's about right. I do wonder if anyone has bothered to read all of them so far.

There's a whole lot of us. Every word, right from the beginning.

We have shed loads of Toilet roll and Hand sanitizer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's very ableist...

I'm not afflicted by the need for special provisions to communicate, many are.
    Surely it's best that we meet those communication needs without being dicks about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

A drug everyone will be asking for

They go and call it Favilavir

"I'd like a bottle of Favilavir please"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

And people infected with any of those fatal diseases are high-risk for death of they contact this virus. What is so difficult to understand about that while you're so busy maintaining perspective?

Where did I say I had difficulty understanding it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Central Bank are testing an employee for the virus

Staff given the choice to work from home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I don't understand how this has anything to do with endocrine receptors acting as a reservoir for the drug.

Having read some of your posts in the last while, I'm reluctant to get embroiled in any further discussion with you. Suffice to say that I didn't make that assertion you have above. I'm actually not even sure what you're talking about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Irish doctor has it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Sign language is not bollix :mad:

What is sign language for bollix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

circadian wrote: »
    45 pages in 4 and a half hours. What's the turnover on these threads? Every 3 or 4 days?
    tuxy wrote: »
    Yes that's about right. I do wonder if anyone has bothered to read all of them so far.

So retitled "War and Peace...and then more War" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

About time they chequed them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yah some good news.

That's actually a couple in the pipeline; Remdisivir is another one.

Never mind the vaccine (for the moment); the key is in treating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Staff given the choice to work from home

So it's on the money now!?

Always the way...
    Follow the money they said!
    Look what it's gotten us :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

stevek93 wrote: »
    Irish doctor has it now.

That’s one of the Clare 4 tho. So not a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Ninthlife wrote: »
    What is sign language for bollix?

Not sure, but a swift kick in the bollix for Tom would probably get the point across

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What's "bollix" about it? it works perfectly, especially if the people involved have speech which is compromised, they don't have the luxury of an automatic portable subtitle option. I think the basics of sign language should be though in school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement