Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Stats in Iran today have stabilised, new cases are down and recoveries are up.

#winning

Just like they didn't shoot down that plane.

I'm sorry, I just can't buy the numbers coming out of places like Iran or China. No free press and no international oversight means that governments like these feel free to say what's expedient at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

dan786 wrote: »
    There are 18 rapid response cars out around the country today, available for home testing for people who have reported possible Covid-19 symptoms and who meet the at-risk criteria

How irresponsible of our government. These will add to traffic congestion, not to mention CO2 emissions. Are they electric cars? How rapid is rapid anyway? If they are that rapid they are a real road hazard. What about cyclists and elderly pedestrians? And children who want to play?
    Clowns.

(I wanted to be first.:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If we have any uptick in new cases I doubt we'd be waiting for an evening press conference.

Anyone know if these take place over weekend?

I'd say cases related to a surge would be leaked well before hand anyhow.

Was wondering about that myself, I don't know how they usually do testing at the weekend in hospitals. Is it a case where they have a skeleton crew on and only do the in house tests. Or have they got normal level of staff to run the tests.
    I have a feeling we wont hear proper numbers till mon or tuesday and anything that comes out now will be put out there by the general public.
    Also if there is the 24-48 hour wait for tests and what was said last night about some health people wide eyed by the 5 extra compared to what they are seeing god knows what the numbers will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dan786 wrote: »
    There are 18 rapid response cars out around the country today, available for home testing for people who have reported possible Covid-19 symptoms and who meet the at-risk criteria

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

tillyfilly wrote: »
    just in aldi now, empty boxes everywhere

I though you were a decent poster.:(

Why the blatant trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

amor3 wrote: »
    Are we done with updates until Monday evening now?

Judging by the scaremongering from some we’ll be hunkered down in nuclear bunkers by then surrounded by toilet paper and pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If we have any uptick in new cases I doubt we'd be waiting for an evening press conference.

Anyone know if these take place over weekend?

I'd say cases related to a surge would be leaked well before hand anyhow.

We have a huge uptick in cases but they need to come from official sources, the presses brief is to keep calm and don't cause panic they're stated that a few days ago.
    It's panic stations in the hospitals but that's not coming through in the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I though you were a decent poster.:(

Why the blatant trolling?

You’re only realizing now?

They been at it the whole time.

ChikiChiki,

This cute little fella with the banjo gives guitar lessons

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a984c2a2bc8574b6430bcd2beca13b1c3a6b8d61&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Mrs was in Aldi earlier and a fella came in and took 3 full boxes of pasta off the shelf and into his trolley. Around 15kg of pasta. Greedy git.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Runaways wrote: »
    You’re only realizing now?

They been at it the whole time.

Their market insight was spot on tho :pac:
    What with today being flat and all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

1641 wrote: »
    How irresponsible of our government. These will add to traffic congestion, not to mention CO2 emissions. Are they electric cars? How rapid is rapid anyway? If they are that rapid they are a real road hazard. What about cyclists and elderly pedestrians? And children who want to play?
    Clowns.

(I wanted to be first.:rolleyes:)

A classic example of the straw man argument. You could have a career in politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tromtipp wrote: »
    Graces7, you gave the heartbreaking number of children your mother lost the other day. She may not have ailed, but those conditions were not healthy (both my own grandmothers birthed 13 children and raised 8, so I've always been aware how exposed to infection people were in the past).

We're now in a situation where we're facing a highly contagious, severe illness that can't be treated by antibiotics, and we'd be better looking at what was wrong with our public health in the past rather than romanticising it.

It was my grandmother not my mother who lost the children. I am nearly 80 so go figure as they say.

She ( my grandmother) married an engineer and they lived in a very big house well run and clean

Most of the children who died lived into their teens, TB is not public health related or to toilet facilities. It was rife in the UK; on that town there was a whole hospital for TB . It was the lack of any treatment and it was stopped when that treatment was found,

Folk here seem to think that 100 years ago was in the dark ages.

No one is romanticising. And there is no comparison between TB and covid19 so not sure what your post is about?

You do not need a flush toilet and soft toilet tissue to be hygienic and germ free. Folk practised good hygiene in past generations and TB had nothing to do with that nor did infant mortality.

Over and out from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

#winning

Are they to be believed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Mrs was in Aldi earlier and a fella came in and took 3 full boxes of pasta off the shelf and into his trolley. Around 15kg of pasta. Greedy git.

What did he not pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Nice guys finish last, be a bastard and get ahead in life!
    So you and others are sensible, do the right thing and don't stress out the supply chain, do a normal shop, you are a nice guy, meanwhile many others are prepping, loading up on supplies, fast forward a week or 2, there is a Lockdown, pure PANIC will grip the nation, there will be a stampede to the shops, the shops will be stripped bare in under 30 minutes.
    Its up to you if you dont buy into the prepping idea, but dont come on here moaning when you are shut in eating stale bread and cornflakes with water and cutting up your old T-Shirts to wipe your arse, cant flush the rags so you bin them, no bin collection as the workers are also on lock down, stink unreal from your bin with ****ty rags in there!

It's too late. The selfish stockpilers have already cleaned everything out around here. I've managed to order a few packs of toilet paper, but God forbid I need hand gel because I can't find it anywhere. Just hope my hospital won't have run out, because last time I was there, people were stealing it. People have also been stealing it at work. We had it out at reception and other places, and people have taken it. Pure selfishness and greed.

Again, the PANIC is the entire problem. If everyone just ****ing calmed down and bought as normal, there would BE no shortages of anything.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a very naieve post.

I bought most of my supplies weeks ago and the shops have had plenty of time to replenish their shelves from what I and many others have already purchased. People going to the shops Later are the ones who will cause the issues because now supply chains are going to be strained. Yoh stock up before the supply chains are in trouble not when things are getting bad. We have had a peek into the future from other countries who are further ahead in the epidemic so there’s no excuse.

And not just that, you should read up more about what happens during crisis situations. Human instinct (fight or flight) kicks in and people are way more focused on themselves and their family with good reason. Governments and authorities are already making mistakes and decisions that are not primarily about people’s health. They say they are taking actions but their decisions (delay on big events for money reasons) suggest they don’t really appreciate the severity of the situation.

Medical people and credible authorities with more knowledge then anybody in this country have been saying “prepare” for months at this stage. I’ve prepared and anybody who hasn’t or is not currently doing so is irresponsible.

But there simply isn't enough stock for everyone to 'prepare' to the extent of buying month's worth of toilet paper and soap. If you're one of the people buying 20 at a time, you are depriving those who need it *now*.
    Downlinz wrote: »
    There's nothing selfish about preparing to isolate at a moments notice. It would be selfish to not prepare at all and mingle into supermarkets and pharmacies with symptoms in a mad panic because you have nothing at home.

Well done to everyone stocking up now, supermarkets will have a chance to restock and have supplies for everyone else when things get really rough in a few weeks.

Except that won't happen, will it? The type of person who has already bought dozens of everything will head in and buy up all the stock again 'just in case', because that's the type of person they are.

This virus has just illustrated how fcking selfish vast swathes of the population are. The people who are young and healthy and are probably going to be fine don't need 20 bottles of hand gel. The people who need it can't get it. By the time the frenzy kicked off, it was already too late to find hand gel anywhere. And now I, an adult who is more vulnerable than most, have to go without it when I'm at higher risk because I'm often in hospital and touching things there, and more susceptible to picking up bugs.

The people who would survive this in the case of a major deadly pandemic are the selfish ones - just what future societies need.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

I am worried for my child who has an underlying issue, I don’t think this virus can just bypass kids. I have read children tend to get it milder but they can still get it.

#winning

I don't believe the figures in Ireland, not to mention Iran!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

digitaldr wrote: »
    Maybe St Patrick's day should actually be cancelled/deferred - ie just make it another working day. Of course this wouldn't stop the influx of visitors.

They better not get rid of the bank holiday though. I'm using that for a really long weekend.

What did he not pay for it?

He tried to. The manager told him to put 2 boxes back. Greedy fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I dont even like pasta, what am I going do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

The supermarkets need to put limits of 2 packs of anything per person to stop these selfish c*nts. This is why there are shortages - because people like this are buying food that would have previously done about 30 people. Hope he chokes on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

gozunda wrote: »
    Source?

RTE News Live Feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Are they to be believed though.

everyone cant by lying.

what good is trying to hide it. China tried that and look where that got them.

I’m drowning out the negativity in this thread right now

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b1297e4eb46c32c79aee7516e2c81b2b0aa7f56a&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe has a load of Italians staying for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think a lot of the apparent asymptomatic cases were actually presymptomatic.
    Greeeece lighteninggggg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Lainey where are you based that people are robbing from the hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

France's Health Ministry has said that two more people have died from the coronavirus, bringing the total death toll in the country to 11 people.

One of the two fatalities was confirmed in the northern part of France, the other in Normandy, the ministry said in a statement.

France has 716 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No shortage of anything other then hand sanitizer in shops near me. I think the panic buying is a being exaggerated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement