Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I got a trolleyful of goods from different shops a couple of times a week for a few weeks. Always left plenty except when there were only a couple of items available. I've been following these threads from the start and that is the same pattern everyone else seemed to follow too. Sudden panic buyers are clearing the shelves, not people who've been stockpiling for weeks.

Well, I do mean those who are very obviously buying way more than their fair share, like the fella buying 15kg of pasta. I've also seen people filling their trolley with ridiculous amounts of stuff.

It's time the supermarkets programmed their tills not to accept more than a reasonable quantity of something being bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

saabsaab wrote: »
    Good

It's good but the current at risk criteria are too narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

dan786 wrote: »
    France's Health Ministry has said that two more people have died from the coronavirus, bringing the total death toll in the country to 11 people.

One of the two fatalities was confirmed in the northern part of France, the other in Normandy, the ministry said in a statement.

France has 716 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Given how quickly it is growing in major European countries, it might not be long before Europe has more cases than China.

Only some dodgy brand left, and even that has had the price hiked up. I've ordered stuff to make my own, but really, if it wasn't for the media panic, there would be plenty left to go around.

I've lived through SARS, swine flu and serious political unrest abroad and never in my life do I remember this level of panic or not being able to buy something I needed.

You’re in London. Just get it delivered from Asda, Morrison’s, Sainsbury’s or wherever.

Or the bloody corner shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The lady on the Late Late Show last night, the PHN representative said that so far as has been observed the effect on children is far less than that on adults.

So even though children can get it it's effects are less.

So maybe that person was not as naive as you would like to think.

The key point about kids is that they are still carriers.
    Kids are less likely to wash hands, not touch face etc... so pose a real risk to the at risk group.

People seem to be forgetting this when they hear they don't suffer themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

China - lying busters
    iran lying busters
    South Korea - marvellous chaps
    HSE - lying busters
    Leo - let's all hate him anyway.

I can't keep up. Who do we believe?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Lainey what country are you based in? I haven’t seen or heard any reports of Irish hospitals being robbed of sanitizer and as multiple people have mentioned no Irish shops are short of anything bar sanitizer. The demand for sanitizer was likely the government’s worldwide emphasizing the news for hygiene and to wash hands. This would make more but it, not people buying trolley loads.

You’re in London. Just get it delivered from Asda, Morrison’s, Sainsbury’s or wherever.

I am temporarily but you can't 'just' get it delivered. I don't think you understand how bad the situation is. There is none available. I mean none. Not from Ocado, not from Asda, not from anywhere. The times I've tried to buy it online, it hasn't arrived with the rest of the order.

I've tried going to random suburbs and trying newsagents and other non-obvious places.

It's impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Coronavirus delivered straight to the front door.:P

I am temporarily but you can't 'just' get it delivered. I don't think you understand how bad the situation is. There is none available. I mean none. Not from Ocado, not from Asda, not from anywhere. The times I've tried to buy it online, it hasn't arrived with the rest of the order.

I've tried going to random suburbs and trying newsagents and other non-obvious places.

It's impossible.

Where in London are you? I’ll locate you some.

Edit to add: I’m from Peckham so knowing Del Boy always comes in handy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

"Italy calls in retired doctors to help fight virus" -rte
    Heard on news yesterday Leo was planning to do same if outbreak gets much worse. I couldn't imagine many retired doctors would put themselves at risk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Was in Lidl East Wall and it was your average busy Saturday.

As I said. Most people might be buying a tiny bit more like myself.

There is a difference between buying an extra bag of pasta and taking 3 boxes.

One is sensible provisioning and the other is just downright over exaggeration. You can't put them in the same bracket as panicking.

pc7 wrote: »
    Lainey what country are you based in? I haven’t seen or heard any reports of Irish hospitals being robbed of sanitizer and as multiple people have mentioned no Irish shops are short of anything bar sanitizer. The demand for sanitizer was likely the government’s worldwide emphasizing the news for hygiene and to wash hands. This would make more but it, not people buying trolley loads.

I'm over in London working a lot of the time, but couldn't find it back in Dublin either. Rang my aunt and uncle in the North and they also couldn't find it, and they live in a total backwater, hardly a bustling metropolis. Their Boots and Superdrugs are out, and all the local pharmacies. One pharmacy said to my aunt to go back in on Tuesday at 9am when new stock is in, but couldn't promise anything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you are in London and have medical issues. Next visit ask the hospital can you fill a small sanitizer bottle due to the stress it’s causing you. I’m sure they would be happy to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Heard on news yesterday Leo was planning to do same if outbreak gets much worse. I couldn't imagine many retired doctors would put themselves at risk though.

Does that mean Dr. Leo will be donning his white coat once again and helping his fellow citizens?

Where in London are you? I’ll locate you some.

Edit to add: I’m from Peckham so knowing Del Boy always comes in handy ;)

Staying in east London (near Leyton) but I'd go anywhere to bloody get some at this rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Plan here is to have retired doctors take on normal duties and current ones to tackle the Corvid19 crisis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I guess the plan would be for them to do the day to day stuff and let the younger folk get exposed.

Staying in east London (near Leyton) but I'd go anywhere to bloody get some at this rate!

If you’re looking for loo roll, I’ll find some online. If it’s sanitiser you want, I’ll post you the one I was gonna send to tootsie as she never responded to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gozunda wrote: »
    Does that mean Dr. Leo will be donning his white coat once again and helping his fellow citizens?

Leo Varadkar is no longer registered as a doctor and is without an MCN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Epidemic declared by CDC in Seattle area of Washington

There are now large scale epidemics occurring in North America, Central Europe, Middle East, Mainland East Asia and Pacific East of Asia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Prof. Crown was on the radio a while ago he says that the parade going ahead is a very bad idea. He also said movement of people flights etc should be restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

spurious wrote: »
    I guess the plan would be for them to do the day to day stuff and let the younger folk get exposed.

Yes it would be a nasty sight seeing the oldies expose themselves.

Here lainey, would this do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

banie01 wrote: »
    Bull**** like this needs to be called out for what it is.
    This isn't a photo the poster took in Aldi just now.

It's a stock photo taken on the 31/10/2018.

The poster just decided to add a little spice to their panic and rumour mill.

Original photo and link below.

Don't assume anyone, anywhere on the internet posting on an anonymous forum isn't just spreading spurious bull**** for their own amusement.

https://www.alamy.com/packagingempty-cardboard-boxesin-aldi-supermarket-uk-image224307094.html

I literally thought his post was a joke as there's always empty boxes in cages where the staff are doing the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

saabsaab wrote: »
    Prof. Crown was on the radio a while ago he says that the parade going ahead is a very bad idea. He also said movement of people flights etc should be restricted.

If the data from MERS & SARS shows as much of anything it's that flight restrictions generally doesn't work in stemming the progress of the disease. It holds its progress off very briefly (2-3 days if I remember correctly) but has significant psychosocial impacts on people. I'm still all for banning flights until we have a better handle on things but that's the rationale behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The correct thing to do is use warm water and soap at home and hand sanitiser when you have no access to hot water.

Do you think the shortage is from people using the hand sanitiser at home?

I was talking to one of the girls in boots here, their warehouse is empty so none will have it until it’s stocked. The suppliers are playing catch up but it will come back into stock. Get disposable gloves for when out and on tube etc. look at a video on how to properly remove them then once you can wash your hands properly. Easier said than done but try not stress it’s bad for your immune system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Speaking of hand sanitizer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Graces7 wrote: »
    And by doing so we have given the shops time to restock . Just a few extras each week. It was and is right and thoughtful.
    Agree, the few of us (10-20%) that have completed all long-term shopping (mostly Dec-Jan, off-peak), have lessed the load on the coming rush, and reduced supply-demand issues, while signaling for logistics too boost supply.

There are several concerns now that the 80% of people that haven't prepared and assuemed this was just an aul cold: will face: i) price gouging, ii) replenish delays and iii) enhanced crowds at peak times.

I'd highly recommend also (when queuing) - to observe that the checkout person isn't cold/flu ridden. Made that mistake on the final shop (bread to freeze and small misc items).

Came home and started sneezing, sort throat, aches later that day, took 500mg Vit C, Zinc, Honey, Ginger, Tumeric, Pepper loads of Garlic. Then put in a 10hr sleep and woke 120% better than normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement