Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Miike wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar is no longer registered as a doctor and is without an MCN.

I'm completely ignorant as to if there is much red tape and time required to re-registering as a practitioner, but he would earn respect even from me (I really don't like the guy truth be told) if he got stuck-in as a relief doctor over the course of the impending crisis.

tuxy wrote: »
    The correct thing to do is use warm water and soap at home and hand sanitiser when you have no access to hot water.

Do you think the shortage is from people using the hand sanitiser at home?

Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Just passed Christchurch hotel and there was a argument going on between a group of Italians and 2 taxi drivers. Assume they were being refused to be driven.

Lainey, I’ll post it to you Monday morning. I’ll run into the north so you’ll have it Tuesday.

Let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Retired nurses may have let their registration lapse. Does anyone know if that applies to doctors? Next problem is setting aside recruitment procedures. Can be done but may need legislation amended. Next problem is how they compel medical people to turn up and do the work. If you had retired in the last 10 years after a decade of abuse from the govt in pay, working conditions and public pronouncements and now belong to an at risk demographic what would you do? Personally I’d tell them to fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Miike wrote: »
    If the data from MERS & SARS shows as much of anything it's that flight restrictions generally doesn't work in stemming the progress of the disease. It holds its progress off very briefly (2-3 days if I remember correctly) but has significant psychosocial impacts on people. I'm still all for banning flights until we have a better handle on things but that's the rationale behind it.

That may have some truth but we are an Island we could have shut this down. It originated from overseas. Most don't come by ship anymore.

It's simple really, no cases coming in then no cases spreading here. hard to argue with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just passed Christchurch hotel and there was a argument going on between a group of Italians and 2 taxi drivers. Assume they were being refused to be driven.

Can’t say I blame the taxi drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

gozunda wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112728982&postcount=9491

Ireland not testing for community type spread apparently means we dont have it.

Great work lads. Keep it up.

Heard this first hand about a case in GP yesterday. HSE refused to test as patient hasn’t been to affected region. Told to deep clean surgery though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Heard this first had about a case in GP yesterday. HSE refused to test as patient hasn’t been to affected region. Told to deep clean surgery though.

Ambulance I was taken to hospital in the paramedic told me they’d have to deep clean it once I was out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Runaways wrote: »
    Ambulance I was taken to hospital in the paramedic told me they’d have to deep clean it once I was out.

Pity they don’t have spares as in one comes in, a clean one is ready and theirs gets cleaned, rinse and repeat. Will really slow down ambulance availability and timings when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Runaways wrote: »

<insert joke here>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Heard this first had about a case in GP yesterday. HSE refused to test as patient hasn’t been to affected region. Told to deep clean surgery though.

I think it's evidence that there's still an acute shortage of testing kits.

Our lot are not filling me with confidence at all

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

What about masks? Has anyone sourced any. For immunosuppressed person trying I'm trying to get them some. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Retired nurses may have let their registration lapse. Does anyone know if that applies to doctors? Next problem is setting aside recruitment procedures. Can be done but may need legislation amended. Next problem is how they compel medical people to turn up and do the work. If you had retired in the last 10 years after a decade of abuse from the govt in pay, working conditions and public pronouncements and now belong to an at risk demographic what would you do? Personally I’d tell them to fcuk off.

I think the idea is to get them to work in quieter areas of hospital or behind the scenes kind of work. Other young staff can be pulled and put to work where needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,560 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SSeanSS wrote: »
    "Italy calls in retired doctors to help fight virus" -rte
    Heard on news yesterday Leo was planning to do same if outbreak gets much worse. I couldn't imagine many retired doctors would put themselves at risk though.

Isn’t Leo a retired doctor himself?

Time to roll up the old sleeves and make himself useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

tuxy wrote: »
    The correct thing to do is use warm water and soap at home and hand sanitiser when you have no access to hot water.

Do you think the shortage is from people using the hand sanitiser at home?

You can still produce a lather with soap and cold water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is where our politicians will be heading for the annual Paddy's day celebrations
    Tánaiste and Minister Simon Coveney is to lead a delegation to New York for St Patrick’s Day. 

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe is travelling to Paris and Brussels this year.

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan is off to Berlin, while Minister for Defence Paul Kehoe is travelling to Savannah in the Southern States.

Agriculture Minister Michael Creed will visit Chicago.

Ministers Heather Humphreys will travel to Sacramento in California.

Culture Minister Josepha Madigan is going to London.

Minister for Rural and Community Development, Michael Ring is heading to Boston.

The Attorney General Seamus Wolfewill travel to New York and surrounding areas.

Minister for Education Joe McHughwas due to travel to Canada but made the decision at the weekend to stay home to deal with the Covid-19 situation.

Minister for Health Simon Harris is also remaining in Ireland. 

On St Patricks day itself Leo will take part in the traditional shamrock bowl ceremony and Oval Office visit with US President Donald Trump.

Traditionally the shamrock is destroyed, for bio-security reasons.

Maybe they could include some of our globe trotting politicians in that...

https://www.thejournal.ie/st-patricks-day-trips-taoiseach-ministers-5024433-Mar2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's a bit crazy of course. It could lead to (justifiable) charges of racism.

Imagine if that driver was refusing to let black people into his cab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

saabsaab wrote: »
    Prof. Crown was on the radio a while ago he says that the parade going ahead is a very bad idea. He also said movement of people flights etc should be restricted.

It's a bean counter/lobbyists decision.

Utterly idiotic Tbh. And Dept of Health says we are in the containment phase.

No wonder everyone is downright confused. Mixed messages alround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What about masks? Has anyone sourced any. For immunosuppressed person trying I'm trying to get them some. Any suggestions?

Not worth it, 1st only helpful for people infected and they can only be worn once. The other is the best masks are the n95 and they come in different sizes and have to be fitted to create a seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

igCorcaigh wrote: »

So more people that exist will get infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The alternative to expensive standard hand sanatisers are:

Vodka. Or (very cheap) aftershave - some of these 100ml can be bought for just a couple of coins, just get the ones with the least strong/nasty smell.
    Even if Alchohol levels are only around 50%, it's still better than zero, if out and about with no access to hotwater and soapbars.

The best time to use this is if heading into any shop with trolleys/baskets: always spray down those manky handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

bought 2 masks in local pharmacy.. 2.99 each. GF's grandmother fell and broke her femur so taking into CUH. thought we had best wear face masks for visit but hospital in lock down anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's a bit crazy of course. It could lead to (justifiable) charges of racism.

Imagine if that driver was refusing to let black people into his cab.

The could have been arguing about anything. The fare perhaps. Stop stirring ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fevgf7/netherlands_and_belgium_both_go_up_by_60_new/
    60 new cases in Netherlands, 60 in Belgium too
    Almost 400 cases in the Benelux region now

Totals in Europe as of today
    Scandinavia- 350
    Benelux- 370
    Central Europe- (France, germany, Switzerland, Austria)- 1800
    Southern Europe- (Spain Italy greece) - 5250
    Uk/Ire -180
    Eastern Europe- Very small number overall, less than 100

Europe overall approx 8000 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    owlbethere wrote: »
    I think the idea is to get them to work in quieter areas of hospital or behind the scenes kind of work. Other young staff can be pulled and put to work where needed.

I think there is also is a safety concern. By definition retired doctors/nurses are leaning towards the most vulnerable age groups to the virus.

Even if they are not on the frontline, do we really want to have them in hospitals where the virus is being treated or in situations whereby them meet a constant flow of patients? (even though they are not necessarily coronavirus patients)

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fevgf7/netherlands_and_belgium_both_go_up_by_60_new/
    60 new cases in Netherlands, 60 in Belgium too
    Almost 400 cases in the Benelux region now

What happened to let’s just do good news today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

irishgeo wrote: »
    The could have been arguing about anything. The fare perhaps. Stop stirring ****.

Er, I didn't post that message about the taxi incident? You're having a go at the wrong person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement