Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The alternative to expensive standard hand sanatisers are:

Vodka. Or (very cheap) aftershave - some of these 100ml can be bought for just a couple of coins, just get the ones with the least strong/nasty smell.
    Even if Alchohol levels are only around 50%, it's still better than zero, if out and about with no access to hotwater and soapbars.

The best time to use this is if heading into any shop with trolleys/baskets: always spray down those manky handles.

I thought it was either strong enough or it wasn't.

You'll have a load of people going around smelling like drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭mossie

Just back from SuperValu. No shortage of toilet paper, soap or surface wipes, no hand sanitiser but that's no surprise. Plenty pasta and rice. I don't see a problem with buying a little extra it's the mad panic buying that doesn't make sense. I've bought a little bit extra just in case I have to self isolate but not enough to last more than a couple of weeks. i live alone so don't need much. I must admit I did buy a few bags of Keoghs Salt and Vinegar crisps which I have a soft spot for��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Here lainey, would this do you?

Literally just off the phone with my aunt and she's managed to find a big bottle like that in the north along with some empty small bottles to decant it and will give it to me tomorrow back in Dublin so I'll have it in time for my hospital appt! Thanks so much for offering, though! I may take you up on your kind offer if I still haven't found any by the time I'm back in London again (if someone else doesn't need it or you don't need it yourself).
    tuxy wrote: »
    The correct thing to do is use warm water and soap at home and hand sanitiser when you have no access to hot water.

Do you think the shortage is from people using the hand sanitiser at home?

It surely must be. A small bottle of that gel lasts me ages, because I only use it when I absolutely have to, in situations where I'm going to be a while getting to soap and running water. It's really bad for your skin and I got bad eczema and skin issues from it, which is why I ironically stopped buying it so often recently - was trying to cut down my usage of it to the bare minimum.
    Agree, the few of us (10-20%) that have completed all long-term shopping (mostly Dec-Jan, off-peak), have lessed the load on the coming rush, and reduced supply-demand issues, while signaling for logistics too boost supply.

There are several concerns now that the 80% of people that haven't prepared and assuemed this was just an aul cold: will face: i) price gouging, ii) replenish delays and iii) enhanced crowds at peak times.

I'd highly recommend also (when queuing) - to observe that the checkout person isn't cold/flu ridden. Made that mistake on the final shop (bread to freeze and small misc items).

Came home and started sneezing, sort throat, aches later that day, took 500mg Vit C, Zinc, Honey, Ginger, Tumeric, Pepper loads of Garlic. Then put in a 10hr sleep and woke 120% better than normal.

Sounds great. Did you blend it up with juice or what? I wonder would there be any interest in starting a thread about ways to boost your immune system? I'm sure a lot of people would like to find ways to make sure they're as fit and healthy as they can be at the moment. I think taking some practical steps might prevent some of the panic and anxiety around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

spookwoman wrote: »
    Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

^^^^^ No body does this ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What about masks? Has anyone sourced any. For immunosuppressed person trying I'm trying to get them some. Any suggestions?

If you can't get a FFP2 then I'd suggest using a good scarf and gloves wash or disinfect regularly have spares. I know people will say that won't stop viruses but would stop droplets, carrying viruses. Some use large water bottles cut to fit over the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,560 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

YFlyer wrote: »
    You can still produce a lather with soap and cold water.

Cold water will wash just as well as hot water (unless your hands are really greasy) the difference is that people tend to not wash their hands for long enough if the water is cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cnocbui wrote: »
    Singapore has had none either. That's what you get with a first world health system. Unfortunately ours is second grade.

And also broken so not looking good if when things get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Statues in Limerick are worried.
    21_screenshot2020-03-07at13.51.33.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think it's evidence that there's still an acute shortage of testing kits.

Our lot are not filling me with confidence at all

There is no shortage of testing "kits". The testing "kit" here is a sterile swab in transport media which is sent to the National Virology Reference Lab for testing by Real-time Reverse-transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (rRT-PCR).

There are some gross misunderstandings of the testing process in this thread. Testing someone who is likely to have been "infected" recently will produce nonreactive test (what people are calling "negative" - nonreactive doesn't mean negative, it means the test didn't detect the genetic material of SAR2CoV) this gives people a sense they are not infected but they may very well be infected but the virus has not grown to the point where it can be detected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The alternative to expensive standard hand sanatisers are:

Vodka. Or (very cheap) aftershave - some of these 100ml can be bought for just a couple of coins, just get the ones with the least strong/nasty smell.
    Even if Alchohol levels are only around 50%, it's still better than zero, if out and about with no access to hotwater and soapbars.

The best time to use this is if heading into any shop with trolleys/baskets: always spray down those manky handles.

If it's not over 60% you may as well use cold water, as it has no affect at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gozunda wrote: »
    ^^^^^ No body does this ...

Big one is they need to be replaced when they get damp from using so buying 1 or 2 is not going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think the idea is to get them to work in quieter areas of hospital or behind the scenes kind of work. Other young staff can be pulled and put to work where needed.

Your post doesn’t answer any of the points I made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think there is also is a safety concern. By definition retired doctors/nurses are leaning towards the most vulnerable age groups to the virus.

Even if they are not on the frontline, do we really want to have them in hospitals where the virus is being treated or in situations whereby them meet a constant flow of patients? (even though they are not necessarily coronavirus patients)

I am a retired nurse and am no longer permitted to work as a nurse as am not on the register .I would now also fall into the at higher risk age group .That would be the case in many retired nurses too .I would be concerned about my own vulnerability and also my out dated information etc .,I would not volunteer for any hospital duty .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Miike wrote: »
    There is no shortage of testing "kits". The testing "kit" here is a sterile swab in transport media which is sent to the National Virology Reference Lab for testing by Real-time Reverse-transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (rRT-PCR).

There are some gross misunderstandings of the testing process in this thread. Testing someone who is likely to have been "infected" recently will produce nonreactive test (what people are calling "negative" - nonreactive doesn't mean negative, it means the test didn't detect the genetic material of SAR2CoV) this gives people a sense they are not infected but they may very well be infected but the virus has not grown to the point where it can be detected.

Fair enough. Well then there seems to be a real problem with our capacity to test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pc7 wrote: »
    What happened to let’s just do good news today!

Should be pointed out the numbers are still extremely low relative to population size (hence life going on as normal in most European countries).

If we were talking about 100k cases in Europe or 500k, then it would be time for real alarm to be setting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Strazdas wrote: »
    Should be pointed out the numbers are still extremely low relative to population size (hence life going on as normal in most European countries).

If we were talking about 100k cases in Europe or 500k, then it would be time for real alarm to be setting in.

Considering how quicklycases in Europe grew to 8000 known cases(in about a week), how long do you think itll take to get 100,000? We are talking another couple of days, precisely because life in Europe is going on exactly as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

A lot of people would be much better off if they stopped listening to the media sh!tstorm, had a can of a coke and a ciggie and listened to some Lighthouse Family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Fair enough. Well then there seems to be a real problem with our capacity to test

Again I must say no. The NVRL is quite capable of handing the current demands on the system and they are working on getting the work flow set up in local labs throughout Irelands hospital systems. Testing people willy-nilly without direct contact (high risk) or who are not showing symptoms yet is ineffective (due to the aforementioned lack of growth and detection of low levels of genetic material) and could be damaging giving people the idea that "sure look I was negative, I'm going down the pub later because I'm grand" when they may very well not be grand at all.

The testing criteria in this phase is quite clear in terms of its rationale. It's just complicated to communicate it effectively and I apologise if I've done a bad job at explaining but if you don't get it, I'm sure I could find some reference material to try explain it better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Was in Tescos in Arklow early this morning, only thing they seemed to be out of was liquid hand soap/ hand sanitizer. Plenty of everything. While queueing up to pay a lady walked past with a large shopping trolley full to the brim with toilet rolls. All you need is a couple of eejits like that to empty some shelves to start making people nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wakka12 wrote: »
    Considering how quicklycases in Europe grew to 8000 known cases(in about a week), how long do you think itll take to get 100,000? We are talking another couple of days, precisely because life in Europe is going on exactly as usual

We may never get there. Stop **** stirring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The German cases and the lack of fatalities suggest this is a lot milder there than elsewhere.

Even German doctors are saying it's pretty much just a cold to varying degrees for vast majority.

That's the most positive news today.

Hopefully it remains the case.

On the flipside the US so far currently has about a 5% fatality rate (higher than elsewhere) which is being blamed on the lack of coordinated response by administration (presumably to do with hospitalization of suspected cases)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

When posters post utter bullsh1t can they link to where they get this bullsh1t so that we can show that the post is bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Croohur1 wrote: »
    Was in Tescos in Arklow early this morning, only thing they seemed to be out of was liquid hand soap/ hand sanitizer. Plenty of everything. While queueing up to pay a lady walked past with a large shopping trolley full to the brim with toilet rolls. All you need is a couple of eejits like that to empty some shelves to start making people nervous.

That's the thing. It only takes a very small minority of people to behave like this for shelves to get emptied. This is how genuine shortages start.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

kevcos wrote: »
    A lot of people would be much better off if they stopped listening to the media sh!tstorm, had a can of a coke and a ciggie and listened to some Lighthouse Family.

Lighthouse Family? I’d rather get the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Confirmed Cases
    27th Jan China 4.4k 27th Feb Outside China 4.3k
    28th Jan China 6k 28th Feb Outside China 5.3k
    29th Jan China 7.7k 29th Feb Outside China 6.8k
    30th Jan China 9.7k 1st March Outside China 8.5k
    31st Jan China 11.2k 2nd March Outside China 10.3k
    1st Feb China 14.3k 3rd March Outside China 12.7k
    2nd Feb China 17.2k 4th March Outside China 14.9k

Expect that to be over 20k cases outside China by Saturday.

3rd Feb China 19.7k 5th March Outside China 17.5k
    4th Feb China 23.7k 6th March Outside China 21.2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Graces7 wrote: »
    OH DEAR!

That is not true. I have always believed in childhood vaccinations ; the only caveat was that new vaccines need care . You need to be careful what you read!

REALLY!

PS I also said that I cannot take vaccines as my immune system is severely compromised and a vaccine could kill me

I've certainly read your posts on the anti vaxxer thread in After Hours and the numerous posts you've thanked on that thread.

All in black and white my dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

kevcos wrote: »

Your right. I feel better already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »

I would only begin to become alarmed if the numbers began to rocket into high five figures or into six figures.

Cases moving from 'extremely low' to 'very, very low' is no reason for panic at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement