Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Downlinz wrote: »
    Why are so many people stocking up on bottled water?

The mains aren't likely to be contaminated and you can always boil in a pinch if you're self isolating.

I can see why people would stock up on water.

There is manpower involved in providing and maintaining that supply.

In the event of no manpower, this could lead to no supply or supply which is not consumable.

Don't think that will happen, just seeing people's thought process behind the water stockpile.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1236296145397317633?s=20

Good to see the left wing out protesting the placing of economic interests before public health....

Oh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

That might be true but the vehemence with which officials say it suggests to me that is not the actual reason

They get quite animated whenever it's brought up.

Like I say a mask can't do any harm. If people want to wear them then so be it.

So if they said it more half-heartedly you would be convinced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

100%

Their explanation is completely illogical that a mask on an infected could keep the virus in but not vice versa.

They have widespread use in Asian countries for a reason.

Considering there is a very, very good possibility that more people are infected than we know and that know it themselves, widespread mask wearing could only be beneficial. But the masks aren't available. I have a couple of ideas to make up something homemade if this gets worse. We really do have to be thinking as much, if not more, about ourselves as spreaders rather than just protecting ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your right. I feel better already.

I feel this is more in keeping with the zeitgeist:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

owlbethere wrote: »

Wear a scarf high around the nose and mouth if you want to cover up.

FFP1 masks are not good enough. I don’t think your scarf will do anything ;-)

It might even be counter productive as the scarf isn’t pristine and clean like a new mask and you will be breathing anything it might be covered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK +43 cases today

206 total

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is ALS challenge

The ice bucket challenge it was for ALS awareness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Good to see so many informed medical professionals posting on boards

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your right. I feel better already.

I feel this is more in keeping with the zeitgeist:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bob24 wrote: »
    It might change in the future but at this stage I honestly don’t think being poor or rich makes a difference.

The US certainly aren’t testing enough people, but it is more because they are disorganised and still have outdated testing criteria. I don’t think being rich or having health insurance gives better chances to be tested at this stage.

In the US it does... Where 30MM people have no health insurance, at all and it costs $3000 to be tested, nevermind admitted to hospital. I think people will need to be mostly dying to consider going to hospital with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Miike wrote: »
    Again I must say no. The NVRL is quite capable of handing the current demands on the system and they are working on getting the work flow set up in local labs throughout Irelands hospital systems. Testing people willy-nilly without direct contact (high risk) or who are not showing symptoms yet is ineffective (due to the aforementioned lack of growth and detection of low levels of genetic material) and could be damaging giving people the idea that "sure look I was negative, I'm going down the pub later because I'm grand" when they may very well not be grand at all.

The testing criteria in this phase is quite clear in terms of its rationale. It's just complicated to communicate it effectively and I apologise if I've done a bad job at explaining but if you don't get it, I'm sure I could find some reference material to try explain it better :)

How many days in on average before the test is reliable? Some countries appear to be doing this (I assume South Korea), are you saying they may have a lot of false negatives?

Good to see so many informed medical professionals posting on boards

There are several, I can point you at one if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

A hotel being used to house people in coronavirus quarantine has collapsed in China, trapping about 70 people.

It happened in the city of Quanzhou, in southeastern Fujian Province, the city government said on its website.

So far, 23 people have been rescued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

How about our fearless leader leads by example and goes to the nearest hospital/outofhours doc/medical centre to help out? I won't hold my breath.

I liked this from one angry retired GP in England who was none too happy about the prospect of going back into the NHS.

“Dear Matt Hancock,

You've got more chance of persuading retired doctors and nurses to give you a rim-job than you have of getting them to come and act as Covid-19 cannon-fodder (even if this is one way of sorting out the NHS pensions fu*k-up).

How about suspending all appraisal, revalidation, non-serious complaint procedures and the rest of the utterly pointless paperwork that takes up vast amounts of the time of the staff who are already dealing with the sh*t-storm?”

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/columnists

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

That might be true but the vehemence with which officials say it suggests to me that is not the actual reason

They get quite animated whenever it's brought up.

Like I say a mask can't do any harm. If people want to wear them then so be it.

Couldnt agree more,

The fact they say medics need to wear them to protect themselves but the average person does not need them as they will do noting to protect them is pure contridiction from the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

kevcos wrote: »
    A lot of people would be much better off if they stopped listening to the media sh!tstorm, had a can of a coke and a ciggie and listened to some Lighthouse Family.

God no! Coke, cigars and somebody's family a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

gozunda wrote: »
    This is where our politicians will be heading for the annual Paddy's day celebrations

On St Patricks day itself Leo will take part in the traditional shamrock bowl ceremony and Oval Office visit with US President Donald Trump.

Traditionally the shamrock is destroyed, for bio-security reasons.

Maybe they could include some of our globe trotting politicians in that...

https://www.thejournal.ie/st-patricks-day-trips-taoiseach-ministers-5024433-Mar2020/
    Tip of the iceberg. The article lists where ministers are going. Be assured that lots and lots of county councillors will be travelling around the world for this as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Amirani wrote: »
    The claim wasn't that we were on an island. The claim was that we are an island and able to stop all flights. We're not an all island nation, we share a land border with the UK on the island. Hence it's not possible for the Irish Government to stop all flights into the island, it's not that hard to understand...

Whether we share a border or not we're on an Island.
    This type of statement may make sense to you're way of thinking but not mine.
    Borders or no border North South East and West we're on an Island.

Dont be pissing on people's back and telling them its snowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

dan786 wrote: »
    A hotel being used to house people in coronavirus quarantine has collapsed in China, trapping about 70 people.

It happened in the city of Quanzhou, in southeastern Fujian Province, the city government said on its website.

So far, 23 people have been rescued.

Just when you think life couldnt get any worse for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

mloc123 wrote: »
    In the US it does... Where 30MM people have no health insurance, at all and it costs $3000 to be tested, nevermind admitted to hospital. I think people will need to be mostly dying to consider going to hospital with it.

I understand access to the medical system isn’t nearly as good there. But what I’m saying is that at the moment even those with access to it aren’t been tested in any meaningfully way. So whether you have good access or not doesn’t make a huge difference.

As I said it might change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

irishgeo wrote: »
    If it gets in via the eyes what good is a mask. The "experts" here think its airborne and you can get numerous ways when no knows. Some people think they might catch it stepping outside or driving in a the same county as a person with it.

The most likely entry point is through the nose or mouth when inhaling, it's not like a liquid where it finds the weakest point of entry.

I don't get this sentiment of not doing something useful because it may be not 100% guaranteed impervious in every situation and don't know why so many people are subscribing to it. It's like asking "why wear a condom?" since it can on occasion fail to protect. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

How many days in on average before the test is reliable? Some countries appear to be doing this (I assume South Korea), are you saying they may have a lot of false negatives?

The ECDC guidance says that testing is MOST effective once people show symptoms to confirm a diagnosis of COVID19.

On the topic of false negatives I want to reiterate that these tests aren't dichotomous. It isn't positive or negative. It's positive or nonreactive and non reactive just means the rRT-PCR did not detect the genetic material of COVID19. So a nonreactive person could just in a phase of infection where the virus hasn't replicated enough to be detected by rRT-PCR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

100%

Their explanation is completely illogical that a mask on an infected could keep the virus in but not vice versa.

They have widespread use in Asian countries for a reason.

Most reason they are normally worn in Asian counties well before this was so they do not breath in smog. Smog particles are larger then the virus so the mask would prevent them from passing through. Masks people are wearing may not prevent this.

Also your nose and mouth are not the only entry for the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bob24 wrote: »
    I understand access to the medical system isn’t nearly as good there. But what I’m saying is that at the moment even those with access to it aren’t been tested in any meaningfully way. So whether you have good access or not doesn’t make a huge difference.

As I said it might change in the future.

Agree. US are happy to hide actual numbers by not testing, IIRC... When they were publishing the number of tests carried out daily it was well below the average per capita compared to all other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So whats everyone plans for paddy's day then? I'm heading to Dublin for the parade and a load of pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Retired nurses may have let their registration lapse. Does anyone know if that applies to doctors? Next problem is setting aside recruitment procedures. Can be done but may need legislation amended. Next problem is how they compel medical people to turn up and do the work. If you had retired in the last 10 years after a decade of abuse from the govt in pay, working conditions and public pronouncements and now belong to an at risk demographic what would you do? Personally I’d tell them to fcuk off.

Most likely that retired doctors will have let their registration lapse. Apart from annual registration fees, to remain on the register a doctor has to keep up with annual "Continual Professional Development" requirements:

"Retired medical practitioners are subject to the same professional competence requirements as all other practising doctors.
    If you are fully retired and do not intend to do any medical work in the foreseeable future, then it will be very difficult to meet the Professional Competence requirements as set out by the Medical Council. In this case, you may wish to consider voluntary withdrawal from the Register."

https://www.rcpi.ie/professional-competence/information-for-enrolled-doctors/retired/

I very much doubt that retired doctors or nurses could be compelled to return, in whatever capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The ice bucket challenge it was for ALS awareness

That's a very good idea. Advice for governments has been to get your population on board - with hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

gabeeg wrote: »
    Go ahead. Thanks.

I'll compare it with the NHS strategy which is significantly different apparently

The UK will be working from the ECDC guidance, as Ireland is. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-resources-for-contact-tracing-2-March-2020.pdf explains the criteria and the contact management algorithm.

Detailed information may be found on the ECDC website: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/all-reports-covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement