Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Anyone else reckon the real reason people are being told not to purchase or wear masks is about government/dept of health supply?

While I agree they aren't going to help an individual much at all I don't see how they could make it worse.

More fake bull.

Too many people believe the rubbish spouted on fakebook and threads like this and think a mask will give them protection and the fools rush out to buy as many as they can.

BTW, the leading manufacturer of face masks is an Irish company based in Limerick and they are producing hundreds of thousands every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

8th passenger on Diamond Princess has died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

spookwoman wrote:
    Was wondering about that myself, I don't know how they usually do testing at the weekend in hospitals. Is it a case where they have a skeleton crew on and only do the in house tests. Or have they got normal level of staff to run the tests. I have a feeling we wont hear proper numbers till mon or tuesday and anything that comes out now will be put out there by the general public. Also if there is the 24-48 hour wait for tests and what was said last night about some health people wide eyed by the 5 extra compared to what they are seeing god knows what the numbers will be like.
    At nights and weekends hospital laboratories provide an on call service.

The staff on call work in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Haematology and Blood Transfusion departments.

Testing is only performed on specimens from within the hospital.

Testing for COVID19 is only performed by the NVRL. They are only open for routine services Monday to Friday.

I dont know if they are providing testing at the weekends. But they wouldn't be able to fully staff the lab at weekends.
    They would have someone on call, like hospitals do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Darc19 wrote: »

BTW, the leading manufacturer of face masks is an Irish company based in Limerick and they are producing hundreds of thousands every week

What’s the name of the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

nthclare wrote: »
    Whether we share a border or not we're on an Island.
    This type of statement may make sense to you're way of thinking but not mine.
    Borders or no border North South East and West we're on an Island.

Dont be pissing on people's back and telling them its snowing :)

He never said we are not an island he said we are not an all island which is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MadYaker wrote: »
    So whats everyone plans for paddy's day then? I'm heading to Dublin for the parade and a load of pints.

You are an inspiration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Wife sent me into town to get a few essentials in case of an outbreak.
    Wasn’t impressed when I arrived home with a canoe, hedgestrimmers and a box of screwdrivers.
    Fecking Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

iguana wrote: »
    Considering there is a very, very good possibility that more people are infected than we know and that know it themselves, widespread mask wearing could only be beneficial. But the masks aren't available. I have a couple of ideas to make up something homemade if this gets worse. We really do have to be thinking as much, if not more, about ourselves as spreaders rather than just protecting ourselves.

What are your ideas? Would you like to share them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Darc19 wrote: »
    More fake bull.

Too many people believe the rubbish spouted on fakebook and threads like this and think a mask will give them protection and the fools rush out to buy as many as they can.

It's not about whether it gives them protection or not.

If people want to wear masks what is it to you?

If it makes them feel better I have no issue with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Mass hysteria over a Corona virus, with the flames of panic being fanned by the media.
    A storm in a teacup, and this time next year it will all be forgotten as we move onto the next media circus event (whatever that night be)?

PS; I don't deny that it exists, but it's getting blown out of all proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's ironic that Batman wears a mask.

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's a very good idea. Advice for governments has been to get your population on board - with hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette.

In fairness probably would not hurt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Runaways wrote: »
    While he's right about hysterical panic, I'd bet he's more concerned about his wallet and his company's fortunes. The Chinese market is opening up to Tesla and he has manufacturing bases there, never mind the financial markets reacting to it negatively. This virus will hit people like him hard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I can see why people would stock up on water.

There is manpower involved in providing and maintaining that supply.

In the event of no manpower, this could lead to no supply or supply which is not consumable.

Don't think that will happen, just seeing people's thought process behind the water stockpile.
    Just get a few 5l bottles and also buy water purification tablets.

John Seymour's complete guide to Self Sufficiency has all the best information about crops, keeping livestock, baking, brewing, curing, tanning, making rope, spinning wool... Anything you might want to do at home or any household pursuit you're interested in.

It should be on the school curriculum.

504901.jpg

Today's Independent has this really upsetting story, demonstrating how when you don't have your health, every complication tips you that much closer to the abyss. Pretty soon, health will be in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wakka12 wrote: »
    That is false

'at least 48 cities and four provinces in China have issued official notices for lockdown policies, with measures ranging from “closed-off management”, where residents of a community have to be registered before they are allowed in or out, to restrictions that shut down highways, railways and public transport systems.'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-scale/under-chinas-coronavirus-lockdown-millions-have-nowhere-to-go-idUSKBN2081DB

500 million Chinese also had restricted movement throughout the country. Cases still grew 160x fold in China despite the implementation of these measures. And you think its **** stirring to say Europes current cases of 8000 might grow to over 100,000 with absolutely no restriction on lifestyle or movement?

We are seeing the results of that now. It grew because they dont nothing in December and for the majority of January. They were playing catch up then went it was the obvious the numbers were extremely high with the hospitals in Wuhan overwhelmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mask supplies have been snapped up by people panic buying them from pharmacies and as a result some hospitals are struggling to get supply. Doctors and nurses really need them. The rest of us don't really unless a family member has it or something.

Also people wearing masks will think the mask protects them and wil forget about hand washing which is more important.

Your last line is the problem most of the time. They think there safe and have to nothing else. Also are they using the mask correctly. Where were they stored. Did anything touch the inside of the mask etc

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

The vintners = Ireland's military industrial complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

wadacrack wrote: »
    We are seeing the results of that now. It grew because they dont nothing in December and for the majority of January. They were playing catch up then went it was the obvious the numbers were extremely high with the hospitals in Wuhan overwhelmed

That is not proven, that they reacted late. Regardless, based on number of detected cases, they have reacted considerably quicker and much more efficiently than Europe has, or will. In the space of two weeks Italy has far more cases per capita than China has today2 months into an apidemic and still absolutely no restriction on movements in or out of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jackboy wrote:
    No but the majority of infections are due to droplets. Hand hygiene will only reduce infections to a small degree.
    More lies. Why are you spreading misinformation? Or do you know better than all the scientists and doctors?

Don’t listen to morons like this guy and wash your fcuking hands people.

Yes wash your hands but The most common mode of transmission is coughing and sneezing

Professor Kingstim Mills - Professor of Experimental Immunology TCD

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/prime-time-web/2020/0305/

Watch: First Case of Local Transmission @ 10:50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Mask supplies have been snapped up by people panic buying them from pharmacies and as a result some hospitals are struggling to get supply. Doctors and nurses really need them. The rest of us don't really unless a family member has it or something.

Also people wearing masks will think the mask protects them and wil forget about hand washing which is more important.

But I think I'd look good in a mask - well less bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That might be true but the vehemence with which officials say it suggests to me that is not the actual reason

They get quite animated whenever it's brought up.

Like I say a mask can't do any harm. If people want to wear them then so be it.

The masks are useless thing is a lie. I have been using dust masks for most of my life when performing hazardous DIY type stuff. They work.
    Protection may depend on resources

For Ribner, the issue of correct mask use will linger until the exact route of transmission is documented, and it is established if an asymptomatic person (one having no symptoms) can shed the virus before becoming sick.

"If we have a person who is shedding nCoV in the environment, the best way to stop transmission is to stick a surgical procedure mask on them," Ribner said. "In the best of all worlds, anyone coming into the room with an nCoV patient would wear a respirator."

But if a respirator is not available, because of cost or manufacturing, the next best option is a surgical mask, Ribner said. He said that likely contributes to the WHO's surgical mask recommendation.

"The WHO is sensitive to the fact that not every part of the world has the resources of the US and Western Europe," he said.
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/unmasked-experts-explain-necessary-respiratory-protection-covid-19

Because of the better fit, I'd say a dust mask would be even better.

Anyway, I have this, so I'm sorted:
    Hazmat-mask.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Runaways wrote: »

Interesting coming from a fella who sells cars with a Bio defence mode, calls AI more dangerous than nuclear warheads and who often talks about the need to colonise other planets because earth is doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The vintners = Ireland's military industrial complex

Most restaurants and cinemas in China have been closed down for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

wakka12 wrote: »
    That is not proven, that they reacted late. Regardless, based on number of detected cases, they have reacted considerably quicker and much more efficiently than Europe has, or will.

I don't think this is true at all. This was an issue in Wuhan from mid to early december and the chinese authorities were slow to react initially while the virus spread freely. Apart from Italy that hasn't happened in europe. We've been way more turned on to this from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bob24 wrote: »
    What’s the name of the company?

Irema https://www.irema.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So whats everyone plans for paddy's day then? I'm heading to Dublin for the parade and a load of pints.

Maybe a singsong with a few Italian visitors, who knows how the day will end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I thought it was either strong enough or it wasn't. You'll have a load of people going around smelling like drunks.
    For the sake of a €2coin, having 100ml spray of cheap aftershave is well worth the risk, (over nothing).
    Vodka might be 45%, no idea about aftershave, but it sure stings if you spray it on a papercut, so has some potentcy. Also drys by itself.
    Sounds great. Did you blend it up with juice or what? I wonder would there be any interest in starting a thread about ways to boost your immune system? I'm sure a lot of people would like to find ways to make sure they're as fit and healthy as they can be at the moment. I think taking some practical steps might prevent some of the panic and anxiety around.

re: {Came home and started sneezing, sort throat, aches later that day, took 500mg Vit C, Zinc, Honey, Ginger, Tumeric, Pepper loads of Garlic. Then put in a 10hr sleep and woke 120% better than normal.}
    The C-Zinc is an 1g effervesant in water (500mg is enough), the rest can go into a hot drink (ideally Echinacea Tea), or even mixed with rice/pasta. Garlic is very good indeed, can be sprinked as dry/grounded also. Tumeric-B'Pepper and even bromelain (Pineapple extract) is good for any bone/muscle aches.

The only issue with natural medicine is that many take great offence to it, and class it as stringent 'medical advice', when it's only ever subjective and complientary.

The single best thing is 8-10hrs sleep, if feeling a bit off.
    Those who have total dominion over the concept of death, will also very reduced cortisol levels, and better immunity by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

United States: only 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus so far, with around 10% off all tested being positive...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is there any evidence of an increase in Italians around town today? Seems to be hysteria about nothing.

So how many would have even come here for the rugby anyway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement