Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Most reason they are normally worn in Asian counties well before this was so they do not breath in smog. Smog particles are larger then the virus so the mask would prevent them from passing through. Masks people are wearing may not prevent this.

Also your nose and mouth are not the only entry for the virus

Viruses like this, are not in the air on their own, they hitch a ride on far larger respiration ejecta or droplets, which are likely to be absorbed on the surface of a mask.

If that were not the case, then whacking a surgical mask on patients faces would be pointless, would it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/italy-democratic-leader-nicola-zingaretti-coronavirus

Such a hoax. He's trying to clam people, '' look I have it , I'M GRAND'' '' I'll self isolate, and listen to health officials ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How will somebody know if the person next to them is infected or not? I'm pulling out the sewing machine and making my own.

I carry a thermometer and a gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Ann Summers is down to their last container load of rampant rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Bob24 wrote: »
    What’s the name of the company?

Irema, its been in the news a few times over the last few weeks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-firm-set-to-double-output-of-face-masks-amid-covid-19-fears-985868.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

amor3 wrote: »
    Quote: MadYakerMask supplies have been snapped up by people panic buying them from pharmacies and as a result some hospitals are struggling to get supply. Doctors and nurses really need them. The rest of us don't really unless a family member has it or something.

Also people wearing masks will think the mask protects them and wil forget about hand washing which is more important"

So why do doctors wear them? Have they constantly got infections while operating?

They have to offer some protection to the general joe blogs. I, for one would not begrudge anyone buying some or wearing any.

Masks offer protection. Not great protection. Not good protection either. Crap protection is better than no protection. Anyone saying they don't is either trying to reduce the demand for masks or trying to say masks won't offer you protection.

Medical professionals change masks all the time. Scratch your face change your mask. The average person won't do this so the mask is worthless. Disinfect your hands before putting the mask on and before adjusting it.

If your mask is a fashion accessory don't wear it. Leave the protective equipment for someone who will use it rather than waste it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

WHO report into Chinese outbreak. Point to note is once adequate facilities were in place, fatality rate was noted to be 0.7%. HSE needs its house in order.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

I don't believe we have that capability. We will lot be able to redistribute medical staff from other regions like China could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/italy-democratic-leader-nicola-zingaretti-coronavirus

Such a hoax. He's trying to clam people, '' look I have it , I'M GRAND'' '' I'll self isolate, and listen to health officials ''

Why is it a hoax? The majority of people who get it will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm.back from morrisons and it's worse than I thought, sold out of cheesecake AND my favourite morello cherry pie. Ti's gonna be a long weekend if I can't source some tomorrow.

Did you wear one of those masks you bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Miike wrote:
    they are working on getting the work flow set up in local labs throughout Irelands hospital systems.
    Any more info on this; what hospitals, any timeline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

If things get worse, what are our entitlements?

I'm not long in a new job, company expecting a downturn, so I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse.

Or what about self-isolating and picking up the virus. You could be out of work for a month.
    How will somebody know if the person next to them is infected or not? I'm pulling out the sewing machine and making my own.

Enterprising - you have your new business sorted already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did you wear one of those masks you bought

Nope why would I? And I didn't buy them I got them for free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Darc19 wrote: »
    Hospitals have no shortage of masks or any other protective equipment.

The HSE WERE proactive weeks ago and ensured a plentiful supply was in situ

It's more fake bullsh1t from morons on fakebook and the click bait "journalist" who generally tend not to be interested in the true story if it gets in the way of hysteria

I am very glad that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Dn't know if this has been posted yet, but only 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus so far in the US.

They have 335 known cases. Very, very bad

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

Miike wrote: »
    COVID19 tests are a matter of supreme urgency as things currently stand. Results expected within 4-6 hours. I have no idea how many tests they can carry out synchronously but the number would be high and when local hospital labs get setup and calibrated for testing that increases massively.

Thanks. Last week they tested 307 so based on a 7 day week that’s 43.85 tests per day. I’d say this week will be considerably higher.

There’s a lab in the UK trying to make an at home test which will give results in a similar way as a home pregnancy kit does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

cnocbui wrote: »
    There are several, I can point you at one if you like.

Please do

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.
    A month age, even the start of this week the anti-preppers were condescending towards those of us who where “prepping” in case of the worst.
    I have also noticed that the anti-preppers are now the posters who are starting to panic a little, they are raging against those who stocked up on supplies, conversely as there condescending confidence starts to diminish i see a smugness rising in those posters who prepared rising.
    Now the anti-preppers have but a few days before real Panic hits the streets of Ireland, if as i believe the numbers of infected continue to rise in the UK and the UK government takes drastic action.
    The UK and the EU are at most 10 days ahead of us on the infection rate, take this look into the future as a blessing and prepare for the same to occur here, don’t say you weren't warned, swallow your pride and get some supplies in this weekend just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    My contentment in my preparations grows stronger every day, as your condescending turns to anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Christy42 wrote: »
    A short term shutdown will not prevent a long term one. We shutting down for a while won't mean everywhere else will be magically cured. We have to look at this as a potential long term problem and husband our resources in that regard.

We shut down at the first moment and we are screwed when the UK still has it in a months time. We are screwed anyway if we don't coordinate with them due to NI. We can't control that border any more than they could.

A shock isn't a shock if it isn't sudden. Tedros from WHO said that you shouldn't give up containment early, you have to slow the spread as much as possible at the start because you will have to learn on the job and ramp up resources of all kinds even if you don't believe you can stop it. If we just say 'it's inevitable, no point cancelling paddies day, don't stop things we know are hastening the spread right now' then in just a matter of weeks we will realise how fcked the problem is and wish we could have bought a bit of time to prepare better.

It seems like people must be underestimating how badly resourced we are going to be in a couple of weeks if they think we can say 'we're screwed anyway'. The more time for the system to adapt the better it will be able to handle the crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lad in Cork dead I just heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'm pulling out the sewing machine and making my own.
    Not a bad idea, any stretchy fabric may help somewhat, and if placing a couple of dried-out vodka soaked wetwipes on the inside (as additional filters).

x3 per day x7 days (washed at 60oC+) would be a good base quantity,

Could also add another 'even easier to make/source' item for 3 levels of screening: A splash screen. any clear plastic (even A4 acetate sheet), with foam backing and elasticated band.

As with any non top-end mask, it won't stop sub 0.3 Micron entry, but in a game of chances, it will reduce chances. Very best of all it will stop accidental face touching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why is it a hoax? The majority of people who get it will be grand.

It's simple, to work out whether a story is accurate you simply check it against the boards.ie coronavirus fake news chart:

Is the news SCARY? If so, story is true, regardless of source.

Is the news reassuring? If so, it is fake news/unreliable/HSE propaganda.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Cheers.

Good to know we have a local supply chain (some countries who don't might be in trouble in the coming weeks - I know France only has one factory for the whole country and the government has officially seised their whole stock and assumed control of the factory).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Miike wrote:
    The NVRL is a facility that only does ROUTINE testing Mon-Fri 8am to 6pm however they always have provided an out of hours service and the NVRL lab is open 24/7 365 for urgent tests.
    Yup urgent tests but they surely wouldn't be able to provide a full service at nights and weekends? they wouldn't normally get a large volume or urgent requests outside routine hours like they are now for COVID19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.
    A month age, even the start of this week the anti-preppers were condescending towards those of us who where “prepping” in case of the worst.
    I have also noticed that the anti-preppers are now the posters who are starting to panic a little, they are raging against those who stocked up on supplies, conversely as there condescending confidence starts to diminish i see a smugness rising in those posters who prepared rising.
    Now the anti-preppers have but a few days before real Panic hits the streets of Ireland, if as i believe the numbers of infected continue to rise in the UK and the UK government takes drastic action.
    The UK and the EU are at most 10 days ahead of us on the infection rate, take this look into the future as a blessing and prepare for the same to occur here, don’t say you weren't warned, swallow your pride and get some supplies in this weekend just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    My contentment in my preparations grows stronger every day, as your condescending turns to anger.

Gas.

There is a shortage of Medical Scientists nationwide. Most hospitals find it hard to recruit staff. I would imagine its the same for the NVRL.

Number of staff and a lot of funding to provide the service are the biggest obstacles to testing.

If all the tds, councilors and gravy train jumpers forfeited their St Patrick’s Day junkets, I’d say there would be funds for the resources that are needed. There’s a humbdinger of a printer sitting idle that could do with going onto eBay too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

For anyone more knowledgeable:

So far we know this virus travels through droplets coughed or sneezed from an infected person? Others get infected when they are close by or they pick up the virus on their hands and bring it to their faces: - eyes, nose, mouth.

Can the virus enter through cuts? Can it enter into the bloodstream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

thegills wrote: »
    Lad in Cork dead I just heard

Heard from where ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

... just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    I thought they were sending reports to the press over the weekend evenings to update the numbers on Saturday and Sunday?

Oh no.

People are in for absolute carnage on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Any more info on this; what hospitals, any timeline?

I wish I had more info on it to be honest. I do know that work has begun on getting this up and running but that's pretty much all I have. I assume you're working in Med Science? If you hear anything I'd love if you'd shoot me a PM on it :o
    Thanks. Last week they tested 307 so based on a 7 day week that’s 43.85 tests per day. I’d say this week will be considerably higher.

There’s a lab in the UK trying to make an at home test which will give results in a similar way as a home pregnancy kit does.

43.85 tests/day is tiny for a fully equipped lab :)

Personally I have no real concerns as of yet regarding our capacity to test but I'm no expert either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Just back from LIDL
    Everything was fine, shelves were full as normal, plenty of bogrolls, tin cans, pasta, pretty much any must-have items listed on the previous pages
    Dettol was once again nowhere to be found, no surprisingly so. I hope production can catch up with the back log

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement