Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Heard from where ?

Some 'Wan in the local shop most likely, so it must be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

wonski wrote: »
    Wouldn't you just boil or filter tap water?

Or, given that the vast majority of it is, despite the odd high profile glitch, entirely drinkable, the vast majority of us can just open the tap and drink perfectly potable water.

Yes, we’ve had a few issues with system problems but unless there’s some kind of notification of a problem in your area, there’s absolutely no reason why people are filling trolly loads of water. It’s unnecessary, there have also been bottled water contamination issues over the years too, and it’s extremely bad for the environment. That water has to be bottled in plastic and then delivered in trucks. Some of it is even coming from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Unless you’ve some specific issue with supply, it’s something that’s a total waste, or if you don’t like the taste of the water in your area, fit a filter to the mains. It’s fairly simple stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

owlbethere wrote: »
    For anyone more knowledgeable:

So far we know this virus travels through droplets coughed or sneezed from an infected person? Others get infected when they are close by or they pick up the virus on their hands and bring it to their faces: - eyes, nose, mouth.

Can the virus enter through cuts? Can it enter into the bloodstream?
    Droplets & Aerosols, yes both similar, only differ in size altering suspension time in the air before dropping.

Goes without saying any cut/wound should be covered at all times, regardless.
    A simple silver-lined airtight plaster really isn't going to cost the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Not a bad idea, any stretchy fabric may help somewhat, and if placing a couple of dried-out vodka soaked wetwipes on the inside (as additional filters).

x3 per day x7 days (washed at 60oC+) would be a good base quantity,

Could also add another 'even easier to make/source' item for 3 levels of screening: A splash screen. any clear plastic (even A4 acetate sheet), with foam backing and elasticated band.

As with any non top-end mask, it won't stop sub 0.3 Micron entry, but in a game of chances, it will reduce chances. Very best of all it will stop accidental face touching.

I'm a knitter and I have a large stash of yarn in many fibers. Could I knit a mask. I found a pattern already. If I tightly knit it with double layers ? Would something like that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

gabeeg wrote: »
    Dn't know if this has been posted yet, but only 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus so far in the US.

They have 335 known cases. Very, very bad

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

Allegedly people have to pay 3k dollar to get tested, not sure if that is true tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.
    A month age, even the start of this week the anti-preppers were condescending towards those of us who where “prepping” in case of the worst.
    I have also noticed that the anti-preppers are now the posters who are starting to panic a little, they are raging against those who stocked up on supplies, conversely as there condescending confidence starts to diminish i see a smugness rising in those posters who prepared rising.
    Now the anti-preppers have but a few days before real Panic hits the streets of Ireland, if as i believe the numbers of infected continue to rise in the UK and the UK government takes drastic action.
    The UK and the EU are at most 10 days ahead of us on the infection rate, take this look into the future as a blessing and prepare for the same to occur here, don’t say you weren't warned, swallow your pride and get some supplies in this weekend just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    My contentment in my preparations grows stronger every day, as your condescending turns to anger.

REAL PANIC IN THE STREETS OF IRELAND FOLKS, BE VERY AFRAID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Droplets & Aerosols, yes both similar, only differ in size altering suspension time in the air before dropping.

Goes without saying any cut/wound should be covered at all times, regardless.
    A simple silver-lined airtight plaster really isn't going to cost the earth.

My hands are getting wrecked from washing them all the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How many cases do we have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thegills wrote: »
    Lad in Cork dead I just heard

Unless you have a legitimate source you can link to, please lay off the rumours of people dying in Ireland from this.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Still only 18 confirmed. I expect a jump on monday but not a massive jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Same as yesterday 18. HSE are not providing running totals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

For anyone more knowledgeable:

So far we know this virus travels through droplets coughed or sneezed from an infected person? Others get infected when they are close by or they pick up the virus on their hands and bring it to their faces: - eyes, nose, mouth.

Can the virus enter through cuts? Can it enter into the bloodstream?
    I would say yes. 4 ways Infection can enter the body. Inhalation,ingestion,absorption and injection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

thegills wrote: »
    Lad in Cork dead I just heard

Ah fcuk if it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Keep on eye on here for updated figures. It's typically updated very quickly with CONFIRMED data only

Has anyone noticed their local areas being quieter? Central Galway seems normally busy for a Saturday.

Miike wrote: »
    I wish I had more info on it to be honest. I do know that work has begun on getting this up and running but that's pretty much all I have. I assume you're working in Med Science? If you hear anything I'd love if you'd shoot me a PM on it :o

43.85 tests/day is tiny for a fully equipped lab :)

That’s good to know. Thanks Mike, Thanks Martina. Keep up the good work (whatever the **** that is) you two!

Actually, that goes to all in The HSE including the Admin staff who must be flat out since the disease got real in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Allegedly people have to pay 3k dollar to get tested, not sure if that is true tho

From what I've heard, they do have free test kits. But there is a shortage of those. Other kits cost more, upwards of 3k I believe. Also depends on if you have insurance or not (which of course a lot dont).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'm a knitter and I have a large stash of yarn in many fibers. Could I knit a mask. I found a pattern already. If I tightly knit it with double layers ? Would something like that help?

Was thinking tight (snythetic) fibers, wouldn't go near yarns: far, far too large air gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

MadYaker wrote: »

Ha ha I was about to post about the EXACT same line. These gob****es are going to cause alot more harm demanding we shut the world down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

For those who could only find a small number of masks, how do you plan to use them?

I could only get 10 and I'll run through them fairly quickly if I'm disposing after each use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

From what I've heard, they do have free test kits. But there is a shortage of those. Other kits cost more, upwards of 3k I believe. Also depends on if you have insurance or not (which of course a lot dont).

What does a test kit comprise of?

I thought it was just a swab inside the nostrils and on to a lab?

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.
    A month age, even the start of this week the anti-preppers were condescending towards those of us who where “prepping” in case of the worst.
    I have also noticed that the anti-preppers are now the posters who are starting to panic a little, they are raging against those who stocked up on supplies, conversely as there condescending confidence starts to diminish i see a smugness rising in those posters who prepared rising.
    Now the anti-preppers have but a few days before real Panic hits the streets of Ireland, if as i believe the numbers of infected continue to rise in the UK and the UK government takes drastic action.
    The UK and the EU are at most 10 days ahead of us on the infection rate, take this look into the future as a blessing and prepare for the same to occur here, don’t say you weren't warned, swallow your pride and get some supplies in this weekend just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    My contentment in my preparations grows stronger every day, as your condescending turns to anger.

Have you nothing better to do with your time than unsettling posters with this cock and bull? You really are the lowest of the low trying to capitalise on fear and uncertainty for your own warped amusement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Was thinking tight (snythetic) fibers, wouldn't go near yarns: far, far too large air gaps.

and if you sneeze when you have a snotty nose ewwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Downlinz wrote: »
    For those who could only find a small number of masks, how do you plan to use them?

I could only get 10 and I'll run through them fairly quickly if I'm disposing after each use.

Turn them inside out like you would your jocks. Get an extra couple of days wear out of each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Yurt! wrote: »
    Turn them inside out like you would your jocks. Get an extra couple of days wear out of each one.

Green to the front red to the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My hands are getting wrecked from washing them all the time

Mine too! I’ve always been good about washing my hands but I’m doing it more than ever and my dermatitis has flared up as a result.

Are the HSE really not updating numbers over the weekend? Are they taking the weekend off at a time like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

South Korea latest:

cases: 7,041. Fatalities: 46

CFR: 0.65%

that figure is completely meaningless, there's 6800 unresolved cases out of 7000.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

MadYaker wrote: »

Oh you will be, meanwhile i will be safe at home , no need to venture out among the panicked hoard descending on the shops to buy whatever they can to make the lock in at home a little bit more comfortable.
    I will be safe and sound at home watching the madness unfold on TV whilst drinking a beer and waiting for the dinner to finish cooking.
    The salt around here will be of unprecedented levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Downlinz wrote: »

in what circumstances do you expect to need a mask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What does a test kit comprise of?

I thought it was just a swab inside the nostrils and on to a lab?

No idea. But presumably it's not just the cost of the kit itself, its cost of the time for the doctor/nurse to do the testing, the the cost for the lab to carry out the test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement