Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

owlbethere wrote: »
    My hands are getting wrecked from washing them all the time
    Aveeno is great for that. Or E45. Any moisturer really.

thegills wrote: »
    Lad in Cork dead I just heard
    You're going to have to post a source for that claim.

The HSE have lifted the nurse and midwife recruitment embargo.

I'm quite surprised there was such an embargo. I mean, it's not like the situation previously was that we had too many nurses?

I notice as well that the Irish Times have changed their headline from the "Substantial Number of New Cases"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-five-new-cases-confirmed-in-republic-1.4195050?mode=amp
    Likely because they were including the figures from noon yesterday onwards, but we only got the 5 that were diagnosed between 10pm Thu and 12pm yesterday.

Does anyone know when the next update is? It surely isn't Monday is it? I thought Tony said They would be sending a report out over the weekend.

In other news, HSE are very busy, with their "Switch Off" campaign.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/HSELive/status/1236245961795457024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Most of the infections in Europe were caused by a single case in Italy.

It is interesting to see if this could have been prevented.

The 38 year old man who spread it to so many people had not traveled to China, but met a friend of his, who had been in China, on the 21st of January. At this time Italy was still allowing travel to and from China. The friend of his was either an asymptomatic case, or was able to transmit the virus in some other fashion (such as it being on his belongings). The friend subsequently tested negative for the virus several weeks later.

The guy in Lombardy who contracted the virus was feeling increasingly unwell and, on the 14th February, went to a doctor who declared it to be influenza. This doctor was infected at this time. Two days later the patient's condition became more serious and he was hospitalized. No tests for Covid-19 were taken. Something like a week goes by, during which time he spreads the virus to numerous people in the hospital.

By about the 20th/21th February medical staff finally put 2 and 2 together, but by this stage it was too late. Cases and deaths have since grown rapidly with no sign of slowing down. So far it's 4,636 confirmed cases, 197 deaths and 523 recoveries.

The Italian government and medical staff simply didn't take the cornovirus seriously enough. By the time they started putting restrictions on flights and airports the infection had already taken root in the country. The country has no hope any more in halting the disease, they can only slow it down to give medical services a chance to not get overwhelmed.

Same thing is likely with Ireland. People travelling over to infected regions for skiing holidays should either have been prohibited from doing so, or put in isolation upon returning. At the very, very least they should have been tested and monitored. Again, we have a case of someone being infected with the virus, presumably indirectly from someone coming back from Italy. Again this person was in the environment of a hospital for over a week with no testing conducted (because they have not been to an affected region) and only when the subject was at death's door do they realize that they have allowed an infected individual access to thousands of medical staff and patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That might be true but the vehemence with which officials say it suggests to me that is not the actual reason

They get quite animated whenever it's brought up.

Like I say a mask can't do any harm. If people want to wear them then so be it.

I think Myth Busters need to do their duty on this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 viewfromtheuk

Have you nothing better to do with your time than unsettling posters with this cock and bull? You really are the lowest of the low trying to capitalise on fear and uncertainty for your own warped amusement.
    Here is a perfect example of the condescending nature of some posters diminishing in real time, not so confident now are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

spookwoman wrote: »
    and if you sneeze when you have a snotty nose ewwwww
    Worse with a splashscreen. However that also shows their clear benefit should someone sneeze in close proximity towards it.

A blacklight (UV) on it, such an event may show the risks of high velocity sneezy folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

froog wrote: »
    that figure is completely meaningless, there's 6800 unresolved cases out of 7000.

We've seen the CFR stay reasonably stable for months now and the "closed" case CFR keeps plummeting. Around the start of Feb it was about 2:1 complete recoveries to deaths, now it's closer to 20:1.

While theoretically you're correct as anything can happen, we're getting to that point where we have enough data to be reasonably certain of CFR in the scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Blueshoe wrote: »
    How many cases do we have now?

It’s the weekend! Viruses, much like heart attacks and strokes, are only in service from Monday to Friday during office hours. They also take lunch breaks.

Certain more unusual viruses are only in service between 10:00am and 4:00pm Monday to Thursday and you can expect them to send a random, completely non negotiable appointment out to you in the post, which they will not confirm or check that you have received.

That’s a well know Irish bureaucracy fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oh you will be, meanwhile i will be safe at home , no need to venture out among the panicked hoard descending on the shops to buy whatever they can to make the lock in at home a little bit more comfortable.
    I will be safe and sound at home watching the madness unfold on TV whilst drinking a beer and waiting for the dinner to finish cooking.
    The salt around here will be of unprecedented levels.

That was 3 weeks ago mate you must have missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

From what I've heard, they do have free test kits. But there is a shortage of those. Other kits cost more, upwards of 3k I believe. Also depends on if you have insurance or not (which of course a lot dont).

If you've been in contact with a confirmed case and you have the symptoms I doubt you'd be wasting money on a 3k test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

Xertz wrote: »
    It’s the weekend! Viruses, much like heart attacks and strokes only operate Monday to Friday during office hours. That’s a well know Irish bureaucracy fact!

Don’t you know our health executives don’t get paid enough to work overtime during a crisis like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm a knitter and I have a large stash of yarn in many fibers. Could I knit a mask. I found a pattern already. If I tightly knit it with double layers ? Would something like that help?

There was this dr in Taiwan showing how to make your own.

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/taiwanese-doctor-recommends-making-your-own-cloth-face-mask-air-filter-heres-how-do-it

I would choose a waterproof fabric for the outside layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.
    A month age, even the start of this week the anti-preppers were condescending towards those of us who where “prepping” in case of the worst.
    I have also noticed that the anti-preppers are now the posters who are starting to panic a little, they are raging against those who stocked up on supplies, conversely as there condescending confidence starts to diminish i see a smugness rising in those posters who prepared rising.
    Now the anti-preppers have but a few days before real Panic hits the streets of Ireland, if as i believe the numbers of infected continue to rise in the UK and the UK government takes drastic action.
    The UK and the EU are at most 10 days ahead of us on the infection rate, take this look into the future as a blessing and prepare for the same to occur here, don’t say you weren't warned, swallow your pride and get some supplies in this weekend just in case the numbers shoot up over the weekend and are announced Monday.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    My contentment in my preparations grows stronger every day, as your condescending turns to anger.

Joke’s on you. I’ve my zombie apocalypse 4WD expedition camper fully fuelled up, ready to traverse the wasteland, pillaging the provisions of the weak as I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Worse with a splashscreen. However that also shows their clear benefit should someone sneeze in close proximity towards it.

A blacklight (UV) on it, such an event may show the risks of high velocity sneezy folks.

can just image the result after 2nd sneeze

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

Mass hysteria over a Corona virus, with the flames of panic being fanned by the media.
    A storm in a teacup, and this time next year it will all be forgotten as we move onto the next media circus event (whatever that night be)?

PS; I don't deny that it exists, but it's getting blown out of all proportion.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

It is being blown out of proportion in the sense that people think more should be done, or are critical of government and HSE actions. What those two parties know, is that the game is lost.

Its true - there is no need for panic and hysteria - luck will decide your fate. Best get on with your daily grind, so as to do as little damage to the economy as possible, wash your hands, and hope your number doesnt come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    in what circumstances do you expect to need a mask?

Public transportation mainly or any confined space where I'm near others for a while.

I have an NCT appointment coming up soon for example and their waiting room is tiny and always overcrowded so that seems like a good place to wear one.

amber2 wrote: »
    Don’t you know our health executives don’t get paid enough to work overtime during a crisis like this.

In fairness, everyone needs a break or they’ll be no use. They really should have a few other spokespeople though so it can be alternated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Was thinking tight (snythetic) fibers, wouldn't go near yarns: far, far too large air gaps.

I read that non-woven material is best. N95 style.

Has anyone seen anyone in public in Ireland with a face mask on yet? As soon as a critical mass of that happens, the jokes will significantly lessen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

alastair wrote: »
    Joke’s on you. I’ve my zombie apocalypse 4WD expedition camper fully fuelled up, ready to traverse the wasteland, pillaging the provisions of the weak as I go.

Oh man, can I come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭Christy42

Oh you will be, meanwhile i will be safe at home , no need to venture out among the panicked hoard descending on the shops to buy whatever they can to make the lock in at home a little bit more comfortable.
    I will be safe and sound at home watching the madness unfold on TV whilst drinking a beer and waiting for the dinner to finish cooking.
    The salt around here will be of unprecedented levels.

That last line makes it sound like you are looking forward to it? Please tell me you would still prefer to be wrong (even if you feel it unlikely)? I know something's don't come across well in a forum format and this post seems like one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The aul-won goes to slap her :pac: but she "got the toilet paper she wanted"

https://twitter.com/jordylancaster/status/1236187061339721730

I know its 'Murica but adults carrying on like this is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The 38 year old man who spread it to so many people had not traveled to China, but met a friend of his, who had been in China, on the 21st of January. At this time Italy was still allowing travel to and from China. The friend of his was either an asymptomatic case, or was able to transmit the virus in some other fashion (such as it being on his belongings). The friend subsequently tested negative for the virus several weeks later.

The guy in Lombardy who contracted the virus was feeling increasingly unwell and, on the 14th February, went to a doctor who declared it to be influenza. This doctor was infected at this time. Two days later the patient's condition became more serious and he was hospitalized. No tests for Covid-19 were taken. Something like a week goes by, during which time he spreads the virus to numerous people in the hospital.

By about the 20th/21th February medical staff finally put 2 and 2 together, but by this stage it was too late. Cases and deaths have since grown rapidly with no sign of slowing down. So far it's 4,636 confirmed cases, 197 deaths and 523 recoveries.

The Italian government and medical staff simply didn't take the cornovirus seriously enough. By the time they started putting restrictions on flights and airports the infection had already taken root in the country. The country has no hope any more in halting the disease, they can only slow it down to give medical services a chance to not get overwhelmed.

Same thing is likely with Ireland. People travelling over to infected regions for skiing holidays should either have been prohibited from doing so, or put in isolation upon returning. At the very, very least they should have been tested and monitored. Again, we have a case of someone being infected with the virus, presumably indirectly from someone coming back from Italy. Again this person was in the environment of a hospital for over a week with no testing conducted (because they have not been to an affected region) and only when the subject was at death's door do they realize that they have allowed an infected individual access to thousands of medical staff and patients.

Italy banned flights to/from China on 31st jan, the guy who had returned from China had been in Italy for a few weeks already, he also tested negative several times so at the end it wasnt him to infected the 38 yo patient 0

Apparently the virus came through from Germany > Spain > France > Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

pc7 wrote: »
    What happened to let’s just do good news today!

Electric Picnic announcing next week, woo hoo hopefully. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Most of the infections in Europe were caused by a single case in Germany.

"a decent fraction (10/43) of sequenced viruses sampled after Feb 1 belong to a particular genetic lineage
    This lineage contains viruses sampled from Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico
    At the base of this lineage lies the sample Germany/BavPat1/2020. This was "patient 1" in Bavaria who was infected by a business colleague visiting from China. "
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov

This is the known timeline for Europe:
    • end of January - First case in Germany (BavPat1) - linked to China
    • 13 February in Valencia - First known death in Europe - diagnosed only this week - no known links to China
    • also 13 February: first French victim from Crépy-en-Valois (with no links to neither China nor Italy) started developing symptoms. He was diagnosed after 6 days in Creil hospital.
    • 20 February in Italy - first patient is diagnosed there - after 1.5 days in hospital - no known links to China

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's really scary if a doctor got infected from the first case in Italy. Doctors are trained to wash their hands between patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sorry to inform you, Britan is x10 the population density and likely can't produce enough food for itself, not a good omen in a pandemic.

They already are planning to send in their own troops to replace street bobbies when they fall ill. Can't see that going well in the larger cities.

Not that long ago e.g. the Ldn riots had marauding ethnic gangs walking out of stores with plasma tv's, cops outnumbered, upturned cars and even helicopters forced to flee areas.

This time around, it'll be the zombie sharpen-utensiled and acid laden, fearless postcode gangs, up against barely trained 17yos in green attire.
    Not a good mix. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

amor3 wrote: »
    Quote: MadYakerMask supplies have been snapped up by people panic buying them from pharmacies and as a result some hospitals are struggling to get supply. Doctors and nurses really need them. The rest of us don't really unless a family member has it or something.

Also people wearing masks will think the mask protects them and wil forget about hand washing which is more important"

So why do doctors wear them? Have they constantly got infections while operating?

They have to offer some protection to the general joe blogs. I, for one would not begrudge anyone buying some or wearing any.

Doctors and nurses wear PPE when dealing with infectious diseases ie. Mask , gloves and gown.
    They would be trained in the way you put them on and take them off to prevent transmission of any infected particles to themselves or other patients.
    Wearing a mask alone will not protect as has been said before except if someone you are caring for is sneezing or coughing uncontrollably.
    In fact they can be a hazard a if you touch the front of the mask and don't wash your hands, or worse still, reuse , you are risking yourself repeatedly.
    Washing is the main message that is needed to be taken on board.
    People are entitled to wear what they want , but a clean scarf would offer as much protection as most masks .Wet and dirty masks should be binned.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

I have been following this virus outbreak on boards for the last month, and before that i started to get some supplies in, just in case the worst was to happen.
    I noticed that boards was divided into two camps , the peppers and the anti-preppers.

Forget prepping. Its really nonesense. Yes, roughly half, we hope not more, of the population will have their 2-6 weeks in isolation. If you catch it, stock up. If not, dont waste your money.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Forget prepping. Its really nonesense. Yes, roughly half, we hope not more, of the population will have their 2-6 weeks in isolation. If you catch it, stock up. If not, dont waste your money.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

For the third time, what facts are you basing this opinion on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement