Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Its propagation will make the concern about 3 or 5 infections appear as nothing. The consequences are according to rates generally widely cited here. Several million will likely be infected in Ireland. Tens of thousands will likely die in Ireland.

It is being blown out of proportion in the sense that people think more should be done, or are critical of government and HSE actions. What those two parties know, is that the game is lost.

Its true - there is no need for panic and hysteria - luck will decide your fate. Best get on with your daily grind, so as to do as little damage to the economy as possible, wash your hands, and hope your number doesnt come up.

You posted similar ****e last night. Exactly what is your area of expertise or are you on the wind up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

My concern would be older people with preexisting conditions who might be reading this thread.

Oddly enough we might have at least a similar capacity to detect bull**** as the rest of the population. In fact, having seen more bull**** in the course of our lives we might have a better chance of spotting the worst sort of bull**** called nuance, spin, narrative and staying on message.

PS You’re not a Professor and your last name isn’t Moriarty. I know that because he was killed at the Reichenbach Falls. And the retort “No **** Sherlock” would be gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Oh you will be, meanwhile i will be safe at home , no need to venture out among the panicked hoard descending on the shops to buy whatever they can to make the lock in at home a little bit more comfortable.
    I will be safe and sound at home watching the madness unfold on TV whilst drinking a beer and waiting for the dinner to finish cooking.
    The salt around here will be of unprecedented levels.

Just hope the horde with torches and pitchforks won't come to lay claim on your stores :)

• Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

joe316 wrote: »
    At least the local committee where I live had the sense to cancel the Paddy’s Day parade, unlike some others....

This would have been relevant a month ago. Now, it makes no difference to the endgame outcome. It may as well go ahead. It is better that it goes ahead and that we do not inflict further harm on the economy - it will be under enough strain as it is without this type of poorly informed closing of the door after the horse has bolted. People do not appreciate the status today, and thus, also misunderstand and criticise the decisions of the government and the HSE. But the govt and the HSE are making the correct decisions.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Downlinz wrote: »
    For those who could only find a small number of masks, how do you plan to use them?

I could only get 10 and I'll run through them fairly quickly if I'm disposing after each use.

I'd be re-using them.

Spray outer surface with water+detergent and then microwave the 5hit out of it. Make up a super-saturated saline solution and sok them in that then dry off. If the fibres are synthetic, use bleach and rinse thoroughly. Don't get bleach on the elastic strap. Of course touching the mask isn't a great idea so wear gloves and wash those as you would your hands before removing.

Spray with 5%+ hydrogen peroxide or 70%+ alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Oh poor Italy. It really wasn't their government's fault then, though the medical staff should have been way, way more alert. A relatively young man with fever and acute respiratory distress should have, by default, been subject to a test, regardless of his perceived exposure.

The first European victim (Valencia, 13 February) was only diagnosed post mortem last week. It was thought he had pneumonia

The first French victim was 6 days in hospital in Creil before being moved to Paris and diagnosed there.

The first Italian patient in Codogno was 1.5 days in hospital before being diagnosed.

The Valencia victim was not known to neither the Italian nor the French doctors, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

I am baffled by the Australian toilet paper frenzy
    Like us with the beast from the east and our breadageddon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Can't be self-manufactured easily and can't be washed, N95's are to be binned after a few hours due to dampness.

A washable DIY snythetic fiber, with DIY filtration (dried out wetwipes), then full DIY spashscreen on top might be as good, or better.

I like that idea of splashscreen.

I was going to use the N95s for emergency - like if I have to visit a hospital. I wonder if they can be microwaved or soaked in bleach and dried out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Sorry to inform you, Britan is x10 the population density and likely can't produce enough food for itself, not a good omen in a pandemic.

They already are planning to send in their own troops to replace street bobbies when they fall ill. Can't see that going well in the larger cities.

Not that long ago e.g. the Ldn riots had marauding ethnic gangs walking out of stores with plasma tv's, cops outnumbered, upturned cars and even helicopters forced to flee areas.

This time around, it'll be the zombie sharpen-utensiled and acid laden, fearless postcode gangs, up against barely trained 17yos in green attire.
    Not a good mix. Good luck!

Yeah one small difference though. 17 yos in green pyjamas with Assault rifles. I know who money money would be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bizarre altogether. There's a lot more pressing items I'd rather have in an enforced isolation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Bizarre altogether. There's a lot more pressing items I'd rather have in an enforced isolation.

Reminds me of the Brennan's bread frenzy during storm Emma :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

endainoz wrote: »
    Equally dumb race to be fair.

Probably say the same thing about us

UrbanFret wrote: »
    You posted similar ****e last night. Exactly what is your area of expertise or are you on the wind up ?

His area of expertise is null and void. Strictly on the wind-up, him and other doomsday merchants having a high old time. Where are the mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Oddly enough we might have at least a similar capacity to detect bull**** as the rest of the population. In fact, having seen more bull**** in the course of our lives we might have a better chance of spotting the worst sort of bull**** called nuance, spin, narrative and staying on message.

PS You’re not a Professor and your last name isn’t Moriarty. I know that because he was killed at the Reichenbach Falls. And the retort “No **** Sherlock” would be gold.

No shít Sherlock.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Also need it to have a seal to the skin. That's was what the doc was on about the other night on bbc or one of those. The n95 respirator masks have to be fitted and when that's done they move their heads and retest the seal by spraying artificial sweetener on the masks. If they taste the sweetener they have to start over fitting it. Said no use getting them if not fitted propertly because the droplets can get in through the unsealed areas
    Have you guys seen the pics some Chinese nurses have shared?

blob:https://www.boards.ie/079bd19d-6c88-4bb4-ad86-e1877f43d313

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

No, what pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for outlining the process Martina.

Given the already known extant 24-48hr wait for results from the NVRL.
    The Mon-Fri service doesn't bode well for the numbers of confirmed cases come Wednesday.

The sooner we can get a rapid field test kit into operation for Covid-19 the better.

Where is this information from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This would have been relevant a month ago. Now, it makes no difference to the endgame outcome. It may as well go ahead. It is better that it goes ahead and that we do not inflict further harm on the economy - it will be under enough strain as it is without this type of poorly informed closing of the door after the horse has bolted. People do not appreciate the status today, and thus, also misunderstand and criticise the decisions of the government and the HSE. But the govt and the HSE are making the correct decisions.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

Yeah. Last night you claimed we would have 1000 times the death rate of China. Go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Reminds me of the Brennan's bread frenzy during storm Emma :D

People couldn't have picked a more doughy bland white "bread".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am a retired nurse and am no longer permitted to work as a nurse as am not on the register .I would now also fall into the at higher risk age group .That would be the case in many retired nurses too .I would be concerned about my own vulnerability and also my out dated information etc .,I would not volunteer for any hospital duty .
    I've an aunt who retired as a nurse about 4 years ago. While her back has given her a lot of grief the last 2 years, even if it wasn't, I know well her retort would be, they can fek off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Cuckoo7 wrote: »

just google and saw the marks left by the masks. Better to be safe

https://www.boredpanda.com/chinese-nurses-face-masks-corona-virus/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think it's copycat behaviour on seeing reports of Hong Kong TP buying madness and the lack of realisation it's made in Australia, and not imported, so supplies are unlikely to be restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The leader of an Italian political party has tested positive for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Forget prepping. Its really nonesense. Yes, roughly half, we hope not more, of the population will have their 2-6 weeks in isolation. If you catch it, stock up. If not, dont waste your money.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

"If you catch it stock up" is a very uninformed statement. Oh I have Corona so I'll just nip down to the shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

For me, my approach is:
    - Avoiding people and definitely not go near crowds
    - If I have to go out, then pick a small shop with not many people.
    - Sanitise hands immediately after exiting any public place. Don't touch any handles.
    - Constant hand washing and disinfecting everything.
    - I'll soon be wearing a mask. I wonder why all the Chinese are wearing them, and also the health professionals? Anything above zero effectiveness I'll take.

^^ Note: my approach only.

Yep, same here.
    - I'm avoiding crowds of people, so just work, home, shop.
    - I'm only using shops with automatic doors, so no door handle touching.
    - I'm not going to use a bus or train either, going to cycle.
    - I'm going to make my own face masks and have my own supply to change a few times a day and wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I like that idea of splashscreen.
    I was going to use the N95s for emergency - like if I have to visit a hospital. I wonder if they can be microwaved or soaked in bleach and dried out?

Think any dampness/washing will start to destory the N95 fibers.
    Splashscreen can be re-ready in seconds, after sanatised rub, and air dry.
    Yeah one small difference though. 17 yos in green pyjamas with Assault rifles. I know who money money would be on.

In an extreme urban dense populaiton setting, with those maurading zombie juiced/snowed up fearless ethnic postcode gangs (and already lightly armed) over there, it would be evens money, at best.
    They'd have to head count them (actually check for heads) after each shift. That's assuming the worst however (20-60% down with the flu for 2-4wks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    "If you catch it stock up" is a very uninformed statement. Oh I have Corona so I'll just nip down to the shops.

I suspect ChurchtownMan is Shane Ross with time on his hands, looking to stir things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Horrifically grim situation here in North Kildare today. I was in my local Tesco and SuperValu this morning. It was bedlam with roughly the same number of shoppers as would be out any Saturday morning. Luckily I managed to get my hands on one of the last 500 packets of frozen peas in Tesco but if I had been there like two weeks later I wouldn't have had a chance. Same in SuperValu where I didn't have to elbow a hundred auld wans out of the say to get to the only three shelves full of bog roll and I just about managed to pick up the last but fiftieth 18 pack of SV luxury toilet roll. It's bananas. Then I found this alarming condescending anger come over me all of a sudden when I noticed that only about one in three shoppers had any toilet roll at all in their trolleys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any updates today, or are they on a break, like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement