Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Any updates today, or are they on a break, like?

Weekend off for the HSE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The leader of an Italian political party has tested positive for it.

This could happen here too!
    We live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We live in hope.

That's a disgusting comment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Public sector work weekends? Lol.
    .(unless scheduled of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Retired nurses may have let their registration lapse. Does anyone know if that applies to doctors? Next problem is setting aside recruitment procedures. Can be done but may need legislation amended. Next problem is how they compel medical people to turn up and do the work. If you had retired in the last 10 years after a decade of abuse from the govt in pay, working conditions and public pronouncements and now belong to an at risk demographic what would you do? Personally I’d tell them to fcuk off.

Professional Colleges ( GPs, Psychiatrists etc ) and the IMC are starting to communicate to members they don't need to attend conferences for Continuing Professional Development points ( a sensible precaution because 500 Hospital Consultants or GPs in a couple of rooms getting infected over the course of a couple of days would crash the health service completely... and several of those conferences have that potential ).

The subtext of the communications is also that if you don't complete your CPD because you're busy dealing with this there will be forebearance - again, sensible.

So, ANY administrative issues like CPD, registration etc can be overcome if there's a will - and that will will develop. Professional bodies are ahead of the government with this one and recognise what's important - maximising medical staff numbers and redundancy in the system on the front lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

1641 wrote: »
    They said that weekend updates would be by press release. Next press conference on Monday.
    That's what I thought they said alright. Any idea of a time/platform?
    Can't find a peep about when or where from, but Tony said the update is supposed to be reported on this evening. It's pretty critical information and it will give us a better sense than yesterday of what we're facing.
    We live in hope.
    On a deadly serious note, Mike Ryan was coughing all the way through the WHO press conference yesterday. I keep mentioning the fact that Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy and Sean Moncreiff were all off work yesterday.

I was just on the sports section of Twitter, there are SO MANY football fixtures going ahead today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Professional Colleges ( GPs, Psychiatrists etc ) and the IMC are starting to communicate to members they don't need to attend conferences for Continuing Professional Development points ( a sensible precaution because 500 Hospital Consultants or GPs in a couple of rooms getting infected over the course of a couple of days would crash the health service completely... and several of those conferences have that potential ).

The subtext of the communications is also that if you don't complete your CPD because you're busy dealing with this there will be forebearance - again, sensible.

So, ANY administrative issues like CPD, registration etc can be overcome if there's a will - and that will will develop. Professional bodies are ahead of the government with this one and recognise what's important - maximising bodies and redundancy on the front lines.

This would require a very specific legislation change to allow clinicians with lapsed registration to practice in ANY capacity which isn't impossible but I don't know if that's even been tabled yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The reality of this situation is that the HSE is powerless. The outcome will in no way beinfluenced by them. Or the health services of any other country for that matter.

The variable at play now is how long the process can be delayed to increase the number of survivors. The HSE, in this event at least, is no better nor worse than the health services of other European countries. Effectively non can handle what is coming to us. No service has a built in capability to handle a ramp up in demand for it services, in a period of a few months, by a factory of 300-400. None. Criticism of the HSE is entirely unjustified, and just knee jerk bitching.

Services simply will not cope. And people will die as a result. But there is simply no solution to this. The impact can only be reduced over the coming 12-18 months, by 1) reducing the number of HSE workers absent from duty at any one time due to being infected, and 2) reducing the number of the population needed hospitalisation at any one time. (as an aside, those who are diagnosed now or in the next 3-6 weeks are likely the luckiest - services may still be able to help them while numbers are only in the thousands. Those infected when the numbers reach the hundreds of thousands at the same time, will find they effectively have no health service available to them). We are likely powerless to influence either to a great degree - but it is the best course of action to attempt. At best, it will reduce cases and fatalities by a single digit percentage overall.

Am I going mad or are you just pasting the same post over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Weekend off for the HSE.

Except it's not. It's well reported in this thread that there will be a press release at some stage this evening instead if the nightly press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It seems The Coronavirus takes the weekend off, or is it just the HSE and Politicians

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

God has it in for us or at least the Chinese building collapsed on the misfortunates
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0307/1120787-coronavirus/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's a disgusting comment

Sorry, tongue in cheek, but distasteful.
    I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

2 French MPs are now infected.

The number of high profile individuals being infected in countries where the virus becomes prevalent might actually be a good indication of real infection rates (as they are probably being tested more proactively than the general public).

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I've an aunt who retired as a nurse about 4 years ago. While her back has given her a lot of grief the last 2 years, even if it wasn't, I know well her retort would be, they can fek off.

Is this really how people feel?

I’d like to believe that in times of a crisis, I’d help out in whatever way I could. Even if it was just manning a phone line or organising supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Miike wrote: »
    Where is this information from?

NVRL themselves are giving the turnaround time as 12-24hrs as per
    https://nvrl.ucd.ie/node/209

Samples to be tested must arrive at lab before 10am.
    So it can be fairly safely assumed that anything after that cut off, is added to the next days processing batch. Giving at least a days lead time to the result being available.

Current testing process info I have read www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/how-sars-cov-2-tests-work-and-whats-next-in-covid-19-diagnostics-67210/amp overview that I've read also confirms a 24-48hr wait time for results.
    NHS and NCBI articles confirm the above process but in a more verbose form.

It's also been mentioned by HSE and Dr's as the approximate wait time for confirming diagnosis.

Is it not?
    Are the NVRL running a faster testing process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I read that non-woven material is best. N95 style.

Has anyone seen anyone in public in Ireland with a face mask on yet? As soon as a critical mass of that happens, the jokes will significantly lessen.

Yet. On the rte news from the citizens event in Killarney. Many of them was fairly delighted with themselves and I had to laugh at one that they interviewed - saying something like this citizenship paper is more important than coronavirus. I mean like he was holding a ticket for the train of doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Yep, same here.
    - I'm avoiding crowds of people, so just work, home, shop.
    - I'm only using shops with automatic doors, so no door handle touching.
    - I'm not going to use a bus or train either, going to cycle.
    - I'm going to make my own face masks and have my own supply to change a few times a day and wash.

Don’t forget trolleys and baskets - are someone highlighted to me earlier this week, so they ever get cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This would have been relevant a month ago. Now, it makes no difference to the endgame outcome. It may as well go ahead. It is better that it goes ahead and that we do not inflict further harm on the economy - it will be under enough strain as it is without this type of poorly informed closing of the door after the horse has bolted. People do not appreciate the status today, and thus, also misunderstand and criticise the decisions of the government and the HSE. But the govt and the HSE are making the correct decisions.

The virus will spread throughout the community. The battle to prevent that has been now lost in all European countries. Services and political leadership is baulking being so explicit with the truth. But even that matters little - what is going to happen now is unavoidable. The economic impact will be equally drastic and disruptive to life as people have known it for 75 years.

I was annoyed at last months parade not being cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was thinking tight (snythetic) fibers, wouldn't go near yarns: far, far too large air gaps.

Was thinking that earlier. as a knitter... It would have to be a fine fine yarn on very thin needles and take a long time to make and then still porous which defeats the object . No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sorry, tongue in cheek, but distasteful.
    I apologise.

Would be interesting to see if one of them got infected how or if they would change their opinions on mass gatherings and parades...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

• Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

Personally my concerns are not so much about the virus but more so the implications of it.
    Luckily I am a healthy middle aged man but have parents and grandparents who arent so lucky.
    It is spreading quickly and with the guidelines about self isolation everything will change for a while in the next few weeks. Let's be honest the irish attitude... t'will be grand, up for a pint... will not help and infection will explode

Schools will shut, parents will have to look after kids, business will be affected. Employees across all sectors will have to spend long periods out of work, either through isolation or looking after kids.

Some business can operate remotely but the majority in ireland are not set up for it, one worker in an office tests positive and the entire place closes down for 2 weeks

The government are going to need to provide some sort of sick pay if they are telling people to stay at home for 4-6 weeks if positive.
    I also think low payed employees could decide going to work isnt worth it and who could blame them especially cashiers and cleaners

Anybody working in healthcare are in for a tough period between extra patients and colleagues becoming infected resulting in a huge strain on the system.

I am not trying to spread fear but I think the above is a reality with the rules the who/hse are putting forward..... interesting times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don’t forget trolleys and baskets - are someone highlighted to me earlier this week, so they ever get cleaned?

In Canada they provide wipes to clean the handles. I never used the handles; held the trolley at the sides

But if you take wipes out with you? Easy enough.. Then you are sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I’d like to believe that in times of a crisis, I’d help out in whatever way I could. Even if it was just manning a phone line or organising supplies.
    Young and healthy medical staff are being hit hard by this, probably due to fatigue, stress and viral load.

People over 60 are at significant risk of death from it.

Asking 66+ year olds to go to the front line is unreasonable. Both factors would be true for them.

Better to ask young healthy people to work as carers to take some of the load off nurses where possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm bringing my own wipes for anything I might have to put my hand on. Still need to pick up a box of gloves and at this I don't care if I look like a fool with my wipes, gloves, masks.

Graces7 wrote: »
    In Canada they provide wipes to clean the handles. I never used the handles; held the trolley at the sides

But if you take wipes out with you? Easy enough.. Then you are sure

Yesterday I squirted some anti bac hand gel onto a tissue and wiped down the shopping trolley handle and the coin thingy. I got a few looks but didn’t give a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Public sector work weekends? Lol.
    .(unless scheduled of course)

members of the Gardai, Prison Service, Doctors, Nurses, Customs and a myriad of other public services and servants work 24/7, 365 days some more obvious than others

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Miike wrote: »
    This would require a very specific legislation change to allow clinicians with lapsed registration to practice in ANY capacity which isn't impossible but I don't know if that's even been tabled yet.

I don't know either but if significant numbers of medical staff get sick or have to self-isolate I expect that the political will would be found to have such legislative change drafted and implemented quickly.

Better to have people a bit slower and out of date with things than nobody at all caring for you when you are sick IMO. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There have been studies in the past that show a significant amount of active healthcare workers won’t show up to work during a pandemic. Partially due to infection but also partially due to risk - they have families, too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ninthlife wrote: »
    members of the Gardai, Prison Service, Doctors, Nurses, Customs and a myriad of other public services and servants work 24/7, 365 days some more obvious than others

That would be scheduled work wouldn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement