Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A complete waste of time. You'd never knit tight enough. The coronavirus measures between .05 and 0.2 microns in diameter. Hence why ordinary surgical masks are not effective either.

Sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet.

Show him how tight your stitches are owlbethere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Weekend off for the HSE.

It's not a weekend off. They are providing updates just not having press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

froog wrote: »
    so whats the current thinking on china's remarkable recovery in record time? do people believe the figures?

It's logical since they shut everything down. There's westerners in the area and satellite images as well as the disappearing pollution to verify that.
    They've done exactly what needs to be done in aggressive containment, South Korea as well.

The US are the country that don't seem very trustworthy in their figures so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There’s a ridiculous amount of paperwork involved when dealing with a patient isn’t there? Could the retired staff not be tasked with writing up these notes away from the frontline? Gives frontline staff more time to deal treating patients aswell as getting rest time.

That sort of thing was the original suggestion but people seem to be wilfully ignoring that and twisting it to suggest 65-75 year olds with bad backs would be sent to the front lines dealing with Covid-19 positive patients sneezing on them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

BLIZZARD7 wrote:
    Germany 795 cases, 0 deaths , 9 Serious/Critical.
    Top class European healthcare. Wait for the Irish results. The HSE will be exposed - fully.
    Irish public healthcare is on Balkans level in the bottom quartile in European comparison.

Yes, it's not Africa but no, it's not on par with 20 odd countries in Europe at least, I'm afraid but it's a fact. Just check EHCI (European Health Consumer Index) results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Personally my concerns are not so much about the virus but more so the implications of it.
    Luckily I am a healthy middle aged man but have parents and grandparents who arent so lucky.
    It is spreading quickly and with the guidelines about self isolation everything will change for a while in the next few weeks. Let's be honest the irish attitude... t'will be grand, up for a pint... will not help and infection will explode

Schools will shut, parents will have to look after kids, business will be affected. Employees across all sectors will have to spend long periods out of work, either through isolation or looking after kids.

Some business can operate remotely but the majority in ireland are not set up for it, one worker in an office tests positive and the entire place closes down for 2 weeks

The government are going to need to provide some sort of sick pay if they are telling people to stay at home for 4-6 weeks if positive.
    I also think low payed employees could decide going to work isnt worth it and who could blame them especially cashiers and cleaners

Anybody working in healthcare are in for a tough period between extra patients and colleagues becoming infected resulting in a huge strain on the system.

I am not trying to spread fear but I think the above is a reality with the rules the who/hse are putting forward..... interesting times ahead

I love how all these people on the internet think they know better than all the people organising the response who've spent their careers working in healthcare and crisis management, epidemioligists, doctors etc. What are you basing your opinion on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks Miike, hopefully our own current system can cope and won't be overwhelmed in the near term.

Good to see that they are turning around results relatively quickly.

I have no doubts our system is going to show stress fractures but I think we're a while off that yet and if they start getting the work flow and calibration set up in local hospital groups that will hopefully will hold up.

A lot of people are working on getting test kit style testing online where you get Point of Care results but currently that's antibody based and doesn't actually say if someone is actively infected or they have been infected and since "recovered". This type of testing is fine for measuring levels of exposure in a population but isn't rigorous enough for acute settings to inform care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Some little Italian child coughing and splurting all over dunnes in limerick. God dam Italians.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

There’s a ridiculous amount of paperwork involved when dealing with a patient isn’t there? Could the retired staff not be tasked with writing up these notes away from the frontline? Gives frontline staff more time to deal treating patients aswell as getting rest time.
    I don’t reallythink the idea is to send the pensioners to the frontlines.
    I imagine they would be recalled to fill other posts so the younger and fitter can be on the frontlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A complete waste of time. You'd never knit tight enough. The coronavirus measures between .05 and 0.2 microns in diameter. Hence why ordinary surgical masks are not effective either.

Probably not a waste of time. As I said before you don't have to stop a virus on its own. They travel piggyback on droplets, dust airborne particles that can be filtered. Anyway if some get through your viral load will be lessened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Blueshoe wrote: »
    People not scheduled to work don't just turn up. Fantasy land.
    The public sector is an expensive dinosaur.
    The return for the cost is muck to put it bluntly.

The lack of organisation, accountability and effort in the health service will yet again let us down.
    I have zero faith in the hse. Prove me wrong Simon and co.

Oh ffs anymore wild generalisations ? Zero faith ? So you'll be doing any elective surgery or treatment yourself then if needed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Darc19 wrote:
    China have been very honest on this. The WHO who have no issue calling out any country have heaped praise on them.

China and honest don't collocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

niallo27 wrote: »
    Some little Italian child coughing and splurting all over dunnes in limerick. God dam Italians.

Just like every other kid on the planet

so whats the current thinking on china's remarkable recovery in record time? do people believe the figures?

I don't believe it, nor the total figures either.

McGiver wrote: »
    Top class European healthcare. Wait for the Irish results. The HSE will be exposed - fully.
    Irish public healthcare is on Balkans level in the bottom quartile in European comparison.

Yes, it's not Africa but no, it's not on par with 20 odd countries in Europe at least, I'm afraid but it's a fact. Just check EHCI (European Health Consumer Index) results.

This is one reason I take anything the WHO say with a bowl of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Is it patent pending?

:D lol!

Sorry, what I meant by that is that this is just the approach I'm taking based on what I've read and nothing else. C19 appears to be quite a contentious, almost polarising topic, and this is just what I'm doing. I'm sure others will disagree and think I'm a lunatic and I'm also sure others are doing similar to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    People not scheduled to work don't just turn up. Fantasy land.
    The public sector is an expensive dinosaur.
    The return for the cost is muck to put it bluntly.

The lack of organisation, accountability and effort in the health service will yet again let us down.
    I have zero faith in the hse. Prove me wrong Simon and co.

You may believe its fantasy land but Ive worked in the public service for 20 + years and I know people have where necessary volunteered to work during unscheduled times

I agree there are areas of the Public Service are inefficient and it is expensive, HSE being a large consumer of tax payers €€s

Accountability at higher levels is an issue but those who provide the services at ground level dont deserve sone of the bashing public servants get

Some excellent examples of efficient public services with good value are Passport Online, Revenue ROS/MyAccount.

Anyway its a topic for another day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

woohoo!!! wrote:
    I've an aunt who retired as a nurse about 4 years ago. While her back has given her a lot of grief the last 2 years, even if it wasn't, I know well her retort would be, they can fek off.
    The HSE HR directive said those who retired less than 2 years ago may be asked to return. So your aunt wouldnt be included in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Yurt! wrote: »
    Was speaking to a Chinese acquaintance via WeChat. Has been in a quarantined city (quite far from Wuhan) since the Chinese new year. Still cant travel back to the 1st tier city where they are resident. Gov keep on stringing them along that it will be two/three/four days time when the travel block will be released.

In a word, no. I don't believe them. Highly likely there is significant community spread within cities still happening.

The WHO will say whatever keeps China happy as they are a major donor country now. China has stepped in to be a huge donor country to multilateral orgs like the WHO as the US has stepped back. Paycheques are on the line remember.

Why? The WHO have said they believe they are giving correct numbers and that the lack of new cases is visible in hospitals and clinics. What are your reason that you think the numbers are wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Here's something else, if and when we get the virus, would a cough medicine work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Well, you pay for what you get. Insurance is mandatory here in Germany. Mine costs over €600 a month for a basic private plan just for myself, kids are extra on top of that. I have to cover the first €600 of medical costs per annum before I can claim back from the insurance. Anyone that is working pays 15% of their salary into the healthcare system if they are not private, with half covered by the employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The HSE HR directive said those who retired less than 2 years ago may be asked to return. So your aunt wouldnt be included in that.

Be careful giving people real news. It means that they have less to whine about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

jackboy wrote: »
    Just back from the shops. No panic shopping to be seen.

However, the cashier was wearing gloves and not changing them between customers. Obviously he was protecting himself.

Same tbf as if he was not wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Chinese Coronavirus quarantine hotel collapses trapping people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51784167
    About 70 people have been trapped after a hotel being used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in the Chinese city of Quanzhou collapsed.

About 35 people have been pulled from the rubble of the five-storey Xinjia Hotel, officials say.

Videos posted online show emergency workers combing through the building's wreckage in the southern province of Fujian.

It is not clear what caused the collapse or if anyone has died.

6kEPBgu.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

MadYaker wrote: »
    I love how all these people on the internet think they know better than all the people organising the response who've spent their careers working in healthcare and crisis management, epidemioligists, doctors etc. What are you basing your opinion on?

Looking at this tread and the earlier ones I'd say they are more in tune with what is developing that the HSE and the official reaction to this. Also many other experts are coming out now saying that this is not being taken seriously enough. Sadly they generally seem to really know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

MadYaker wrote: »

That is exactly who I am basing my opinion on. The groups you mentioned are the people who advise self isolation. I was discussing the implications of their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,560 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jackboy wrote: »
    Just back from the shops. No panic shopping to be seen.

However, the cashier was wearing gloves and not changing them between customers. Obviously he was protecting himself.

You think the cashier should change gloves 200 times a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Don't flu like viruses have a peak for a few weeks and then the numbers start to fall again?

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions out there that corona is some sort of global pandemic that will grow and grow and grow and infect the entire population of the planet. It doesn't work like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Testing takes 12h minimum. They only include in the daily results samples they managed to test which were given to them at least before 10am the previous day. The results come out between 6 and 10pm, so the numbers to now have been a completely unrealistic picture.
    I started a healthcare course there in early January. I will be fully qualified and experienced physician/surgeon/nurse/dentist/midwife/psychologist/psychiatrist/pharmacist next week.
    You can do a first aid course and get certified in five hours.

An infection control and prevention course is usually a day, about 8 hours.

There will be plenty of personnel required who have these certifications.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh ffs anymore wild generalisations ? Zero faith ? So you'll be doing any elective surgery or treatment yourself then if needed ?

Il be going to a private clinic if that ever arrises

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement