Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Here's something else, if and when we get the virus, would a cough medicine work.

I swear I was just going to ask the same?

Would it be better to cough up this irritant/infection or suppress it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ninthlife wrote: »
    You may believe its fantasy land but Ive worked in the public service for 20 + years and I know people have where necessary volunteered to work during unscheduled times

I agree there are areas of the Public Service are inefficient and it is expensive, HSE being a large consumer of tax payers €€s

Accountability at higher levels is an issue but those who provide the services at ground level dont deserve sone of the bashing public servants get

Some excellent examples of efficient public services with good value are Passport Online, Revenue ROS/MyAccount.

Anyway its a topic for another day...

I couldn't disagree more.

Topic for another day. Surely another pay demand coming soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

After being in Jervis an hour ago and with a heightened sense of awareness, I can only surmise that people are filthy animals and either oblivious to whole thing or do not give a **** about taking precautions to protect themselves and others.

One fella sneezed into the open twice as he crossed my path and did not break stride while doing so.

In hindsight I should have called him out. Whoever you are, you're a pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Why? The WHO have said they believe they are giving correct numbers and that the lack of new cases is visible in hospitals and clinics. What are your reason that you think the numbers are wrong?

Because cases are still appearing (if not being reported) in peripheral cities far from where expats are and where WHO officials go. The friend I was speaking to is in a city you've likely never heard of and their lockdown is being extended and extended. They didn't say as much (WeChat is monitored) but the tenor and tone of it was that the figures declared by the province don't add up.

I don't have smoking gun evidence, nobody does about China, there's no-free press to hold anybody to account. It's a binary choice between believe the government or cast a very suspicious eye on what they are saying, especially on matters of national prestige and the esteem of the party. I've learned that the latter approach is almost always the correct one - particularly with Xi's regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

jester77 wrote: »
    Well, you pay for what you get. Insurance is mandatory here in Germany. Mine costs over €600 a month for a basic private plan just for myself, kids are extra on top of that. I have to cover the first €600 of medical costs per annum before I can claim back from the insurance. Anyone that is working pays 15% of their salary into the healthcare system if they are not private, with half covered by the employer.

You pay €7,200 a year for a one person healthcare plan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Personally my concerns are not so much about the virus but more so the implications of it.
    Luckily I am a healthy middle aged man but have parents and grandparents who arent so lucky.
    It is spreading quickly and with the guidelines about self isolation everything will change for a while in the next few weeks. Let's be honest the irish attitude... t'will be grand, up for a pint... will not help and infection will explode

Schools will shut, parents will have to look after kids, business will be affected. Employees across all sectors will have to spend long periods out of work, either through isolation or looking after kids.

Some business can operate remotely but the majority in ireland are not set up for it, one worker in an office tests positive and the entire place closes down for 2 weeks

The government are going to need to provide some sort of sick pay if they are telling people to stay at home for 4-6 weeks if positive.
    I also think low payed employees could decide going to work isnt worth it and who could blame them especially cashiers and cleaners

Anybody working in healthcare are in for a tough period between extra patients and colleagues becoming infected resulting in a huge strain on the system.

I am not trying to spread fear but I think the above is a reality with the rules the who/hse are putting forward..... interesting times ahead

I don't think you're spreading fear here. IMO there's a reasonable middle ground between complacency and panic. It's sensible to be concerned at a personal level and take reasonable precautions and it would be imminently sensible for the government to have all sorts of contingency plans in place. It's not all that sensible to panic buy and stockpile like the zombie apocalypse is going to happen tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

mossie wrote: »
    Just back from SuperValu. No shortage of toilet paper, soap or surface wipes, no hand sanitiser but that's no surprise. Plenty pasta and rice. I don't see a problem with buying a little extra it's the mad panic buying that doesn't make sense. I've bought a little bit extra just in case I have to self isolate but not enough to last more than a couple of weeks. i live alone so don't need much. I must admit I did buy a few bags of Keoghs Salt and Vinegar crisps which I have a soft spot for��

Keogh's are the creme de la creme of crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Strazdas wrote: »
    Don't flu like viruses have a peak for a few weeks and then the numbers start to fall again?

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions out there that corona is some sort of global pandemic that will grow and grow and grow and infect the entire population of the planet. It doesn't work like that at all.

It's not a flu-like virus, that'd be top of the misconception list. It's a SARS-like virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Don't flu like viruses have a peak for a few weeks and then the numbers start to fall again?

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions out there that corona is some sort of global pandemic that will grow and grow and grow and infect the entire population of the planet. It doesn't work like that at all.

Spanish Flu infected 500 million people around the world, or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on isolated Pacific islands and in the Arctic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

I work part time in the homes of people who have disabilities. I'm certain that this work will evolve to include the care of people who have Covid-19. I was working with an intellectually disabled woman last week who had a persistent cough and fever. I rang the helpline and was told she did not meet the criteria for testing. I'm not her primary carer, I was just providing cover, but I'll find out on Tuesday if she was looked after in any way. I won't go into specifics but she is a very high-risk group. It seems that even at this point, we're having to basically come to terms with those with weaker health being forgotten about because they're low-priority compared to stronger individuals.

Welcome to the developed world.

What about face to face contact with people who have a deadly virus? Let me know how that works out when duty calls.

If you really feel so strongly about it, why haven't you trained in a useful area since the outbreak began? Or is it easier to say you "would" do something if there's no chance of you being called upon?

I don’t want to argue with you but in February 2017 I had to give up work in accounts and payroll to become the primary carer to my 6ft 17 stone father. He had a severe stroke the previous year which pretty much ****ed his brain up. He was (and still can be) prone to violent mood swings and the nursing home refused to have him. I therefore gave up work so he could come home. He has no left side strength so he requires assistance with everything. He also has a tracheotomy from throat cancer many years before.

Since taking up this new role my on the job training has included -

Taking out his catheter when he lost nearly 2 liters of blood hours after it was changed. Turns out that was the correct call as the catheter had nipped a blood vessel and he would have bled a hell of a lot more by the time the ambulance arrived.

Working out that if he doesn’t go to the toilet by day 3 that his mood will change for the worst. Managing that by whatever (and I’m talking about my father) means of ensuring he does a number 2.

Keeping up on infections and knowing the signs of one starting (his bad leg goes stiff as a board). Ringing the GP for a lunchtime call out but taking his obs (temp, blood pressure and heart rate) at 15-30 min so the doc can call me before coming out. If I think it’s a UTI rather than a chest infection, I’ll start him on antibiotics immediately. Sometimes the doc won’t need to come out if I keep on top of everything.

Preparing an exercise plan using the re-turn stand that I use to move from bed to chair, etc.

Loads of other stuff but I think you get the gist.

I didn’t mean to piss anyone off I just thought more retired medical staff would want to assist in whatever way they could. That’s all. If they don’t, that’s ok too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can you explain how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

That is exactly how it works

Testing takes 12h minimum. They only include in the daily results samples they managed to test which were given to them at least before 10am the previous day. The results come out between 6 and 10pm, so the numbers to now have been a completely unrealistic picture.

You can do a first aid course and get certified in five hours.

An infection control and prevention course is usually a day, about 8 hours.

There will be plenty of personnel required who have these certifications.

Five hours. My god. That's impressive, knowing the bureaucracy of the HSE. Surely that would be extended to a full day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I cordially invite you to post a link where someone from the WHO or a virologist or epidemioligist commenting on this has espoused what you are asserting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

very worrying in Italy

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1236335915037077510

english:

Put the Lombardy red zone.
    People are too childish to understand.
    Nobody takes the alarm seriously, today everyone in Milan is around, everyone is gathering in an ice cream shop.

With these measures in half we will suffer even more.

A real crackdown is needed as in China.
    Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Akrasia wrote: »
    You think the cashier should change gloves 200 times a day?

200 times is a conservative number at that.

gabeeg wrote: »
    That is exactly how it works

Source?

Even the doomsday scenario is 40% to 70% infection rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

wadacrack wrote: »
    very worrying in Italy

english:

Nobody takes the alarm seriously, today everyone in Milan is around, everyone is gathering in an ice cream shop.

Sorry

What?
    No one takes the alarm seriously, today in Milan everyone is around, everyone is in the ice cream parlour.

With these measures we will suffer even more.

We need real crackdown like in China.
    Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Inquitus wrote: »
    Chinese Coronavirus quarantine hotel collapses trapping people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51784167

6kEPBgu.png

Is this one of the buildings they threw up in a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The answer to this is: no one has any idea because this is a new and yet fairly unknown virus.

One misconception would be to assume it will necessarily behave like the common flue (and actually I don’t think any virologists I have seen interviewed makes a strong assumption one way or the other).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

cnocbui wrote:
    This is one reason I take anything the WHO say with a bowl of salt.

I was too harsh... Ireland is 21/35 on EHCI, but still between Balkans countries and it sucks.

cnocbui wrote: »
    What?

That must be the best damn ice cream parlour in town.

Source?

Even the doomsday scenario is 40% to 70% infection rate.

Oh go with the experts on numbers of course.

The point is there's no ceiling to how many people this virus could infect. Beyond geographical boundaries, there's nothing natural that will stop this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

wadacrack wrote: »
    very worrying in Italy

english:

Sorry

Nutcase, he's calling for a China like crackdown, did he even see what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Spanish Flu infected 500 million people around the world, or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on isolated Pacific islands and in the Arctic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

The circumstances in 1918 were exceptional. Scientists think the movement of tens of millions of soldiers from WW1 spread the virus everywhere and huge numbers of civilians were already malnourished, living in poverty and overcrowded conditions, with non existent personal hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There have been studies in the past that show a significant amount of active healthcare workers won’t show up to work during a pandemic. Partially due to infection but also partially due to risk - they have families, too.

This is the reality that a lot are failing to comprehend, same goes for all essential front line workers.

When you realise that, that's what we have to be afraid of, the wider societal repercussions.

The circumstances in 1918 were exceptional. Scientists think the movement of tens of millions of soldiers from WW1 spread the virus everywhere and huge numbers of civilians were already malnourished, living in poverty and overcrowded conditions, with non existent personal hygiene.

I think there's somewhere in the region of 500,000 people flying in the air at any given time these days.

Well, not in the last month or so obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this one of the buildings they threw up in a week?

No its an existing hotel they commandeered for quarantining.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Oh go with the experts on numbers of course.

The point is there's no ceiling to how many people this virus could infect. Beyond geographical boundaries, there's nothing natural that will stop this thing.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.

I go with the experts across the board on account of me not being an epidemiologist/virologist, doctor of any kind, etc.

The claim that it's not going to hit everyone person on the planet is supported by the experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Strazdas wrote:
    Covid-19 is a coronavirus. Coronaviruses also cause common cold. I believe you can catch common cold in summer to,so I'd say covid-19 won't be seasonal to the same degree HxNx influenza viruses are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement