Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,600 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

We are hitting peak Chinese numbers for new cases before they locked down the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Any new cases? Or still 18?

Was working all day

Nope we wont hear until Monday cus according to the HSE the virus is taking the weekend off so they are too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The claim that it's not going to hit everyone person on the planet is supported by the experts.
    Well if it doesn't hit everyone on the planet, everything should turn out fine.
    I don't really understand
    Yeah, I noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

snotboogie wrote:
    Yep, Wuhan like numbers

But without the population density! How it and spread in such relatively low density?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Those are Wuhan like new case figures for Italy and in a short few days they will be reporting Wuhan like deaths too, in the range of 100 per day. I hope this is a wake up call, Europe needs to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

fr336 wrote: »
    EU needs to club together and offer total economic and general assistance to Italy both to help the Italians and Europe as a whole. They need economic breathing space to take drastic measures now. Wtf is the point of the EU if it can't get its finger out in emergencies? Argh!
    Agree
    Sadly yesterday there was no agreement even on procurement of face masks
    https://www.politico.eu/article/health-ministers-squabble-over-face-masks-at-coronavirus-talks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

VinLieger wrote: »
    And the HSE want us to believe we only have 18

I'd say we have a few hundred at this stage. The unidentified students with the virus, and the people connected to the carrier in Cork University Hospital will probably be the main vectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,304 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nope we wont hear until Monday cus according to the HSE the virus is taking the weekend off so they are too

There will updates over the weekend so stop saying the HSE have taken the weekend off. There won't be press briefings this weekend but don't let the truth get in the way sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Meanwhile England infect Wales in the rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Isn't there a press release instead of a press conference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any new cases? Or still 18?

Was working all day

Still 18. All is grand here.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Here's something else, if and when we get the virus, would a cough medicine work.

Unlikely since they dont work for coughs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And the HSE want us to believe we only have 18

Jesus Christ. The only panic buying I expect after reading this thread is on tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

fr336 wrote:
    EU needs to club together and offer total economic and general assistance to Italy both to help the Italians and Europe as a whole. They need economic breathing space to take drastic measures now. Wtf is the point of the EU if it can't get its finger out in emergencies? Argh!

EU has no competence in this. The same thing with migrants coming from Greece. Members states play their silly national games and then blame the EU which legally cannot act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

fr336 wrote: »

It could have been the game plan 2 or 3 weeks ago (alongside with countainment measures). But at this stage even doing that is missing the point. French and German numbers are lagging behind Italy’s by a bit over a week and those countries will be as worrying as today’s Italy in one or 2 weeks time (other countries will surely follow).

The window to largely contain it to Northern Italy in the same way China largely contained it to Hubei province has been missed and most European countries will need special measures soon ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

McGiver wrote: »
    But without the population density! How it and spread in such relatively low density?

Italians kiss once on each cheek AND shake hands when greeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Quite a simple call for the Gov, stop flights with Italy. Yes it is possible to fly to airports in other countries and thats a way around it but its something that needs to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

fritzelly wrote: »
    We are hitting peak Chinese numbers for new cases before they locked down the country

If memory serves correctly they shut down the country when they had less than 500 cases/day.

Unlike us they did not know what they were dealing with at that stage.

They were the canary in the mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Yeah, I noticed that.
    Easy, there.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. The only panic buying I expect after reading this thread is on tinfoil.

There is as likely to currently be 18 cases as there were likely to be no individuals infected from going to Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yeah, I noticed that.

Give over on the misquoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There are all sorts of things you could put in place to at least look like you're doing something. For example supermarkets - all customers have to book a time slot online or over the phone for shopping. Yes it's inconvienient, yes it's out of the cosy little norm, but come on! I think one of the the reasons there's been no World war 3 is the western powers that be know their populations are so pampered they'd never be able to get them to do anything.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Quite a simple call for the Gov, stop flights with Italy. Yes it is possible to fly to airports in other countries and thats a way around it but its something that needs to be done

They don't even need to do that... Just tell people flying in they are gonna get quarantined when they land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

McGiver wrote: »
    EU has no competence in this. The same thing with migrants coming from Greece. Members states play their silly national games and then blame the EU which legally cannot act.

And then the EU blame them, like who's ruling who here? All I see is a lot of unaccountable politicians both nationally and at an EU level, they should stick to regulating shower heads if they can't pull the finger out on this one..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Anyone who wants to go to Italy, enjoy your holiday but please don't come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There is as likely to currently be 18 cases as there were likely to be no individuals infected from going to Italy.

We all know that. But the HSE can't report anything than confirmed numbers, nor are they hiding the "real" figures either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Who would put themselves in the line of fire so to speak for the HSE and the govt?

It won't be for the HSE and the govt it'll be for the people.

Bruce from the WHO said it will require a big shift in mindset. Dr Mike Ryan WHO said 'no health system is ready'. I'm not making a judgement about anyone because they've already done their bit many times over but I do think people's attitudes will change if they are presented with what I believe will be an unprecedented crisis. At least two countries have used the language and demeanor of war after a tiny number of cases and the Dr in the channel 4 interview says that is the appropriate disposition.

That could be a case of just shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

An easier measure from get go would have been to do testing of people coming from Italy. Anything from measuring peoples' temperature (there are machines to do large crowds of people, it's apparently effective about 50% of the time) to taking peoples' details and doing mouth swabs. These would have been easy and inexpensive to implement.

Madness. Madness and stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How many Italians travelled for the cancelled Rugby match? Probably 90%+ of them, lets be honest if I had paid for a weekend in Paris for the Rugby I'd still take my chances and go on the piss for a weekend, so how much impact these sports cancellations have is likely to be quite negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Meanwhile England infect Wales in the rugby

And Crufts goes ahead with a few hand sanitizers in a huge exhibition center full of people... a lot of them in the age group which will suffer most.

Madness !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement