Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DrumSteve wrote: »
    the mad thing is that they don;t even have to cancel it... just reschedule it til June!

Less likely there is rain then also.

I'm not sure if anyone would celebrate it if the date was moved. It's a tradition and people are very set in their ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

DrumSteve wrote: »
    whoa, easy there bald eagle.

The virus sheds after a week or two.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not a medical professional. I read up about hiv before and I read hiv forums too. I was wondering that is all.

After a hiv infection, many people have different results. Some people show cold and flu symptoms along with a rash, other people don't show any symptoms and it takes a few weeks to be detected in a test. If it's detected early there is medication now for hiv. If it's not picked up on, it leads to health problems and aids.

Many people are comparing this new virus to a cold or flu. What if it's not a cold or a flu and it's the sign of a deeper infection? The cold and flu symptoms is the body responding initially to the infection. It could go so much more deeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone would celebrate it if the date was moved. It's a tradition and people are very set in their ways.

(In my best Supernintendo Chalmers voice):

A piss up? In the summer? Localised entirely in Ireland?

...And you think people wont celebrate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

My lungs are playing up today resulting in a bad cough. The cold Irish air has been doing this for years. Getting a few quare looks so I'm running to the jacks everytime i need to cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

tuxy wrote: »
    2 women who take it in turns when the other get tired.

Part timers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have to wonder how these ideas get started.

For Storm Emma it was sliced pans. For this, it's pasta and tins of tomatoes.

Gonna be a lot of people feeling very silly come December when they have 20 bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes still taking up space in their kitchen presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Who's gonna enjoy it if it goes ahead? Whats their to enjoy or celebrate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Talisman wrote: »
    There are a wise few who think they are preparing for the apocalypse.

In the local Tesco last night there was a couple stocking up on toilet roll (3 x 32 rolls of Kittensoft), they also had about 10 boxes of cereal, and enough pasta and rice to feed a small army. All the tins of chopped tomatoes were gone, but there are plenty of the tins of peeled ones.

My son was relieved to see that the Easter Eggs are still safe on the shelves.

Do we still get milk during an apocalypse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

BloodBath wrote: »
    You should have coughed on top of them.

The Easter Eggs or the couple stocking up...?

Either way, coughing around like that is pretty bad form, there was a video on another site of some Chinese coughing and rubbing saliva over the buttons in an elevator, and another of a guy in the street flicking stuff at some ladies behinds, though that might have been some weird fetish or something.

Anyway, I think there were arrests, though maybe it was BS.

seamus wrote: »

Gonna be a lot of people feeling very silly come December when they have 20 bags of pasta and tinned tomatoes still taking up space in their kitchen presses.

Yeah.... if there still alive. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You got to remember the public sector is calling the shots, so everything will be slow and too late.

Pretty much 95% of senior civil servants are in the at risk category. If they were calling the shots do you not think they would have their own health at the forefront?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

It’s for self isolation. It’s common knowledge Tinned goods and pasta have long shelf lives. If you have to self isolate you can’t go to the shop to get more food. I haven’t done it but I don’t see why anyone would feel silly having extra food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

dan786 wrote: »
    No word from UK today, normally its around 2pm.

Thought they are gone to only reporting once a week now rather than daily?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

:)

Staff at a British government department have received an unfortunately worded email offering help with planning their “demise”, the Daily Mirror reports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ludo wrote: »
    Thought they are gone to only reporting once a week now rather than daily?

Badly communicated.
    Confirmed it will be daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Gonna be a lot of people feeling very silly come December

There won't BE A DECEMBER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlQpONLMKL

Hopefully they upload this as a video after it’s finished, excellent conference

- reasons why they are managing people the way they are and logic behind it
    - reasons why they choose certain people and not others
    - testing - test today could give differnt result tomorrow
    - they feel that until you have symptoms you won’t shed as much virus therefore not as contagious
    - is there a risk if I live in a house with somebody who is infected. Yes, that’s why we ask those close to people infected limit their travel or exposure or other people
    - some other questions often asked are answered here
    - we stop the spread by proper hygiene

Actually kind of feels like it’s throwing a gauntlet to the authority’s making decisions on events and national decisions. How anybody could watch this and not start making Significant decisions personally and nationally would be shocking.

The message is for everybody to prepare for more people to be infected over the coming weeks.

Very very well done on this HSE. They get grief when they do things wrong, they has been an excellent live cast . I’ve been banging on about this for weeks, I’d love to see more of these.

Q&A now with press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Donald Trump has declared live on television that, as a result of a hunch, he didn’t believe the World Health Organization’s assessment of the global death rate from coronavirus of 3.4%.

“I think the 3.4% is really a false number,” he told Sean Hannity, one of his favorite conservative Fox News hosts, in a phone interview broadcast live.

“Now, this is just my hunch,” Trump began, before continuing that “based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this, because a lot of people will have this, and it’s very mild – they’ll get better very rapidly, they don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor.”

He went on: “You never hear about those people, so you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population, in terms of this corona flu, and/or virus. So you just can’t do that.”

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

You really have to assume that someone who went on holiday to northern Italy and then came home and taught it was ok to head off to work for a shift in A&E is a bit thick
    .... this isn’t an ordinary member of the public it’s a health care professional who would have been dealing with very vulnerable people.
    The mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

There won't BE A DECEMBER.

Will there ever be a rainbow?

will_there_ever_be_a_rainbow_cmb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

At this point that is not recommended because people are not in the clear once they have had it like with other viruses. At this point, evidence suggests that Covid-19 aggressively attaches itself to endocrine receptors and can remain in the system dormant, reinfect you and transmit to other people. The respiratory system likely will sustain damage and it will be more difficult to recover after a second or third battle with the virus.

It's a nasty bug. Found in the brain too :-( butcher linked to it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

harr wrote: »
    You really have to assume that someone who went on holiday to northern Italy and then came home and taught it was ok to head off to work for a shift in A&E is a bit thick
    .... this isn’t an ordinary member of the public it’s a health care professional who would have been dealing with very vulnerable people.
    The mind boggles

He didn't go and work in A&E, assuming you're talking about the doctor in clare. The thread is moving very fast so apologies if you meant someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It will be like the monty python spam sketch every dinner time except pasta instead of spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

He didn't go and work in A&E, assuming you're talking about the doctor in clare. The thread is moving very fast so apologies if you meant someone else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-patient-worked-shift-in-emergency-department-in-west-of-ireland-1.4193756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlQpONLMKL

Hopefully they upload this as a video after it’s finished, excellent conference

- reasons why they are managing people the way they are and logic behind it
    - reasons why they choose certain people and not others
    - testing - test today could give differnt result tomorrow
    - they feel that until you have symptoms you won’t shed as much virus therefore not as contagious
    - is there a risk if I live in a house with somebody who is infected. Yes, that’s why we ask those close to people infected limit their travel or exposure or other people
    - some other questions often asked are answered here
    - we stop the spread by proper hygiene

Actually kind of feels like it’s throwing a gauntlet to the authority’s making decisions on events and national decisions. How anybody could watch this and not start making Significant decisions personally and nationally would be shocking.

The message is for everybody to prepare for more people to be infected over the coming weeks.

Very very well done on this HSE. They get grief when they do things wrong, they has been an excellent live cast . I’ve been banging on about this for weeks, I’d love to see more of these.

Q&A now with press

Couldn't agree more. Some of the points regarding transmission, the jury is still out on but for this setting, right level of detail. Fair play to them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

harr wrote: »
    The mind boggles

Would the hope be that if they practiced good and proper hygiene they shouldn't have transmitted anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Because I doubt a health care professional would be in cleaning the jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

gabeeg wrote: »

He did his shift with Shannon Doc, he didn't go to a hospital or anything. He was on call.

His name is going around Clare, he has a twitter page which shows him skiing in Italy on February 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    It's a nasty bug. Found in the brain too :-( butcher linked to it yesterday.

I'm sure you have a source for that info.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement