Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Italians kiss once on each cheek AND shake hands when greeting.

ahh that explains the brekout
    so the south of Italy must have different greeting habits

Well if it doesn't hit everyone on the planet, everything should turn out fine.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Have a snickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I honestly think Ireland will turn out to be one of the "lucky" ones in this whole thing - small country, well spread out populations, not as much incoming travel as larger countries. Taking everything into account, including the health services, I think I'd rather be there than where I am 30 miles out of London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Numbers typically have doubled every 3 days. So if the testing labs don’t take the weekend off like the HSE upper management then we can expect 50-60 cases on Monday evening when numbers are announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. The only panic buying I expect after reading this thread is on tinfoil.

Do you know my circumstances ? Do you know if im immuno compromised or have immediate family members who are in the highly vulnerable categories?

No you dont, so you and the other ignorant selfish cvnts can fvck right off with your holier than thou, petty belittling comments about how people are panicking too much cus its only 3% fatal and basically the same as the flu.

• Advertisement

And Crufts goes ahead with a few hand sanitizers in a huge exhibition center full of people... a lot of them in the age group which will suffer most.

Madness !

dogs have tested positive for Coronavirus in Hong Kong

That could be a case of just shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

An easier measure from get go would have been to do testing of people coming from Italy. Anything from measuring peoples' temperature (there are machines to do large crowds of people, it's apparently effective about 50% of the time) to taking peoples' details and doing mouth swabs. These would have been easy and inexpensive to implement.

Madness. Madness and stupidity.

you would need to apply the same for people coming from pretty much any country in Europe at the moment, they have all increasing numbers

fr336 wrote: »
    I honestly think Ireland will turn out to be one of the "lucky" ones in this whole thing - small country, well spread out populations, not as much incoming travel as larger countries. Taking everything into account, including the health services, I think I'd rather be there than where I am 30 miles out of London.

It's SARS/HIV. We are all going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

fritzelly wrote: »
    We are hitting peak Chinese numbers for new cases before they locked down the country

You sure? I think they quarantined Wuhan with around 550 cases. I wouldn't need to double check but are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Strazdas wrote: »
    Don't flu like viruses have a peak for a few weeks and then the numbers start to fall again?

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions out there that corona is some sort of global pandemic that will grow and grow and grow and infect the entire population of the planet. It doesn't work like that at all.

What limits the size of seasonal flu epidemics is the fact that a large number of people have some level of immunity because they've had a related flu strain before.

No-one has immunity to this new virus, so everyone is susceptible.

No infection ever reaches 100% of the population because the number of susceptible people falls as people get infected, recover, and are then immune.
    Once the average number of people infected by each new case falls below 1, the size of the epidemic starts shrinking.

Washing hands, not touching your face with unclean hands, not coughing or sneezing openly and isolating when symptomatic will all reduce the average number of people infected by each case, bringing the epidemic to an end earlier, and ensuring fewer are infected overall.

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    I don't see any nation feeling too generous right now.

Who could possibly have the capacity?

The EU is 26 countries, they hand over billions to the thing each year, and yet here we are in a doomsday scenario and they can't come up with anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

We all know that. But the HSE can't report anything than confirmed numbers, nor are they hiding the "real" figures either.

Fair enough, but it really doesn't make much difference whether or not it's deliberate. I don't really care if there is a government conspiracy. I, in no way, think that there is one, but it is really sort of irrelevant either way if it results in the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    Do you know my circumstances ? Do you know if im immuno compromised or have immediate family members who are in the highly vulnerable categories? No you dont, so you and the other ***** can **** right off with your holier than thou, petty belittling comments about how people are panicking too much cus its only 3% fatal and basically the same as the flu.

Doesn't matter what diseases you have, it doesn't make your statements any more correct when it comes to insinuating the HSE are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-07/cuarentena-en-varias-zonas-de-la-rioja-tras-contagio-por-coronavirus-en-un-funeral-en-vitoria.html
    La Guardia Civil has been sent to Haro, a town of 12.000 population to enforce self isolation as there is a cluster of cases who got the virus at a wake.

Ireland is sleepwalking into the parades next week like nothing's happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The EU is 26 countries, they hand over billions to the thing each year, and yet here we are in a doomsday scenario and they can't come up with anything!

They'll move like lightning if their "ever closer Union" is under threat though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Doesn't matter what diseases you have, it doesn't make your statements any more correct when it comes to insinuating the HSE are lying.

So you believe we only have 18 cases and the HSE are doing literally everything they can to limit its spread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Health sits largely with individual member states. Member States didn't give competence to the EU for health. They can't just magic up a continent wide response as Member States chose to keep health within their own individual influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

wadacrack wrote: »

Only positive is that the number of deaths for Italy is less than yesterday. 36 today, 49 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mic 1972 wrote: »

Still plenty of time to ban public gatherings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope we wont hear until Monday cus according to the HSE the virus is taking the weekend off so they are too

If you're going to at least make a vague attempt at forming opinion at least put 15 seconds of work into reading something related it, I recommend Google as a start point. There will be a press release this evening relating to COVID19 in Ireland.

Half of this thread is like walking into a room of people in the fetal position rocking back and forth mumbling "HSE BAD. CORONA IS A FLU. HSE BAD. CORONA IS A FLU" over and over. Get a grip of reality. People are doing their very best to manage this, but instead of recognising that, you insist on undermining their efforts with ill informed drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They don't even need to do that... Just tell people flying in they are gonna get quarantined when they land.

That too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

And then the EU blame them, like who's ruling who here? All I see is a lot of unaccountable politicians both nationally and at an EU level, they should stick to regulating shower heads if they can't pull the finger out on this one..
    All I'm saying that the EU is blamed, but they legally and de iure cannot act. It's the national level that should be blamed.

And also the EU is a democratic, multilateral, international political organisation which operates based on consensus. Such decision making is slow, unlike unlike authoritarian China, Turkey or Russia. That's the cost of democracy. Freedom is priceless. Unless you lived in authoritarian regime you will never understand. I prefer freedom with all the people who negatives such as slow decision making process compared to dictatorships.

Saying that, leadership is clearly lacking in Ireland. Proactive evidence based approach is possible but not happening. There are measures possible withing democratic framework but they weren't explored. Some of the countries in EU are much tougher and assertive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Inquitus wrote: »
    How many Italians travelled for the cancelled Rugby match? Probably 90%+ of them, lets be honest if I had paid for a weekend in Paris for the Rugby I'd still take my chances and go on the piss for a weekend, so how much impact these sports cancellations have is likely to be quite negligible.

Flights from Dub to Rome are 50 euro return.

Hotels are 50 euro a night. Weather is a balmy 18°C next week.

Then come home and take 2 weeks paid off work to self isolate. Might take the chance. Sounds great :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Stolen from reddit:

"HSE doctor got in touch with me today to talk about my symptoms. Said that while it sounds like I have similar symptoms that I don't have it as I wasn't in direct contact with a confirmed case. They also can't test me for that reason.

I was told that I should isolate myself from my grandmother I live with and not leave the house. If I don't have it and they won't test me then why are they telling me to isolate myself? I know they're erring on the side of caution but still."

What a joke, so this guy has symptoms but they are not testing because he wasn't in contact with a confirmed case?? What about the case in Cork which they don't know where he got it from.

We clearly have lots of cases in Ireland but expect the confirmed cases released by HSE to stay low because they are hardly testing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

you would need to apply the same for people coming from pretty much any country in Europe at the moment, they have all increasing numbers

Yes, as our neighbors fail to contain it, so it becomes more difficult for us to do so. If Germany had had proper measures then Italy wouldn't have become infected. If Italy had had proper measures then we would not have become infected. We will probably pass it onto another country, which would not have happened had we had proper measures in place to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

McGiver wrote: »
    All I'm saying that the EU is blamed, but they legally and de iure cannot act. It's the national level that should be blamed.

And also the EU is a democratic, multilateral, international political organisation which operates based on consensus. Such decision making is slow, unlike unlike authoritarian China, Turkey or Russia. That's the cost of democracy. Freedom is priceless. Unless you lived in authoritarian regime you will never understand. I prefer freedom with all the people who negatives such as slow decision making process compared to dictatorships.

Saying that, leadership is clearly lacking in Ireland. Proactive evidence based approach is possible but not happening. There are measures possible withing democratic framework but they weren't explored. Some of the countries in EU are much tougher and assertive.

Democratic? That's questionable, buts that's for another thread

Shops absolutely rammed here in (near) London today - normal Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That could be a case of just shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

An easier measure from get go would have been to do testing of people coming from Italy. Anything from measuring peoples' temperature (there are machines to do large crowds of people, it's apparently effective about 50% of the time) to taking peoples' details and doing mouth swabs. These would have been easy and inexpensive to implement.

Madness. Madness and stupidity.
    If your talking about at the airports then it wouldnt have worked. Some people haven't shown symptoms until a week after they've come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I might be naive but I still don’t believe the parade will happen or at least not I n its normal form (ie with the full usual audience).

I think the government is reluctant to do something but will eventually have to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement