Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Numbers typically have doubled every 3 days. So if the testing labs don’t take the weekend off like the HSE upper management then we can expect 50-60 cases on Monday evening when numbers are announced.

Who says the HSE upper management have taken the weekend off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

dogs have tested positive for Coronavirus in Hong Kong

Hardly a surprise bearing in mind it jumped across from animal to human !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Numbers typically have doubled every 3 days. So if the testing labs don’t take the weekend off like the HSE upper management then we can expect 50-60 cases on Monday evening when numbers are announced.

Nobody is off this weekend. How many times do people have to be told this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Stolen from reddit:

"HSE doctor got in touch with me today to talk about my symptoms. Said that while it sounds like I have similar symptoms that I don't have it as I wasn't in direct contact with a confirmed case. They also can't test me for that reason.

I was told that I should isolate myself from my grandmother I live with and not leave the house. If I don't have it and they won't test me then why are they telling me to isolate myself? I know they're erring on the side of caution but still."

What a joke, so this guy has symptoms but they are not testing because he wasn't in contact with a confirmed case?? What about the case in Cork which they don't know where he got it from.

We clearly have lots of cases in Ireland but expect the confirmed cases released by HSE to stay low because they are hardly testing anyone.

They have plenty of people that were in contact with confirmed cases they need to test, prioritising those people is the right thing to do. Testing someone that most likely has a cold isn't a good use of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Potential scenarios for the progression of a COVID-19 epidemic in the European Union and the European Economic Area, March 2020

Ireland is still at stage 1

https://eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.9.2000202

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If your talking about at the airports then it wouldnt have worked. Some people haven't shown symptoms until a week after they've come back

You could track them and test them all a week after they arrived as well. It would only have been a few thousand people. A hundred public health nurses could get through it quickly enough.

dogs have tested positive for Coronavirus in Hong Kong

A dog. Singular.

And they think the virus was just sticking in his airways rather than infecting him (or her).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

otnomart wrote: »
    Potential scenarios for the progression of a COVID-19 epidemic in the European Union and the European Economic Area, March 2020

Ireland is still at stage 1

https://eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.9.2000202

Give it 2 weeks, not stopping the italian flights will be something we regret for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Flights from Dub to Rome are 50 euro return.

Hotels are 50 euro a night. Weather is a balmy 18°C next week.

Then come home and take 2 weeks paid off work to self isolate. Might take the chance. Sounds great :D:D

How many cases in Rome? My worry would be if the sh!t hits the fan even more you might not be able to get home very easily. Interesting idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in blanchardstown today.
    Probably not quite as busy as usual, but still busy especially dunnes, people seem to be going mad for loo roll.
    No real shortages of anything bar hand sanitizer not being available anywhere no big shock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Stolen from reddit:

"HSE doctor got in touch with me today to talk about my symptoms. Said that while it sounds like I have similar symptoms that I don't have it as I wasn't in direct contact with a confirmed case. They also can't test me for that reason.

I was told that I should isolate myself from my grandmother I live with and not leave the house. If I don't have it and they won't test me then why are they telling me to isolate myself? I know they're erring on the side of caution but still."

If this is a correct recollection of what happened, it is a joke to tell someone they don’t need to be tested and at the same time to tell them to self isolate.

If you think there is a non-insignificant chance of the person having you test them. And if you think the chance is insignificant you don’t tell them to isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Who says the HSE upper management have taken the weekend off?

Only idiots on here who are lying about it deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Are they releasing figures today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fritzelly wrote: »
    We are hitting peak Chinese numbers for new cases before they locked down the country

What does this mean? Is this settling/easing there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Flights from Dub to Rome are 50 euro return.

Hotels are 50 euro a night. Weather is a balmy 18°C next week.

Then come home and take 2 weeks paid off work to self isolate. Might take the chance. Sounds great :D:D

I wouldn't do it if you paid me to.

Nobody is off this weekend. How many times do people have to be told this ??

I'm on call :)

So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

MadYaker wrote: »
    How many cases in Rome? My worry would be if the sh!t hits the fan even more you might not be able to get home very easily. Interesting idea though.
    About 50.
    Well I wouldn't be in work anyways so that's not much of a problem:pac:

No queues either. They can't close the Trevi fountain.

McGiver wrote: »
    All I'm saying that the EU is blamed, but they legally and de iure cannot act. It's the national level that should be blamed.

And also the EU is a democratic, multilateral, international political organisation which operates based on consensus. Such decision making is slow, unlike unlike authoritarian China, Turkey or Russia. That's the cost of democracy. Freedom is priceless. Unless you lived in authoritarian regime you will never understand. I prefer freedom with all the people who negatives such as slow decision making process compared to dictatorships.

Saying that, leadership is clearly lacking in Ireland. Proactive evidence based approach is possible but not happening. There are measures possible withing democratic framework but they weren't explored. Some of the countries in EU are much tougher and assertive.

Agreed. It appears that the politicians have completely stood back and let the civil servants do all the running and take the brunt of public ignorance. Contrast Joe Walsh as Minister for Agriculture in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Inquitus wrote: »
    How many Italians travelled for the cancelled Rugby match? Probably 90%+ of them, lets be honest if I had paid for a weekend in Paris for the Rugby I'd still take my chances and go on the piss for a weekend, so how much impact these sports cancellations have is likely to be quite negligible.

I don't understand this mindset and logic; you had already paid for those flights a while back, so that money is gone either way, going over will mean you spend/lose more money, and knowing that you're increasing the risk of bringing it back and spreading it further compared to if you stayed home should just feel wrong, especially considering you're presumably aware of how much the HSE is already struggling before the virus even became a thing. Is it really worth going over just to get pissed? There'd be plenty of time and opportunities to plan another weekend instead down the line when things have settled. But then I'm thinking more selflessly and consciously about the bigger picture for the nation and our people as a whole, not my individual hedonistic needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You sure? I think they quarantined Wuhan with around 550 cases. I wouldn't need to double check but are you sure?

You're right, I thought it was the start of Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what diseases you have, it doesn't make your statements any more correct when it comes to insinuating the HSE are lying.
    The HSE are massaging the figures and drip-feeding information. Their purpose at the moment is to suppress any change to the ordinary every-day running of things. They're all terrified out of their minds, you can see it with increasing clarity if you look at them during press conferences. The blood rising in their necks, tension and fear.

They have to stick to a script at a time like this, because if they lose their composure then it will look like they've lost control. They have, it's here in a volume that the public can't currently know about or even more mass panic will set in and people will begin behaving erratically, in some cases driving up the infection rates.

All Health Organisations around the world are doing similar things with varying degrees of competence. Covid-19 confirmed cases of infection are going to keep growing and there's nothing we can do to stop it from overwhelming our health service.

On another note, I'm extremely glad it's raining. Maybe some of the people who are out around the place or going out will be put off and go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Bob24 wrote: »
    If this is a correct recollection of what happened, it is a joke to tell someone they don’t need to be tested and at the same time to tell them to self isolate.

If you think there is a non-insignificant chance of the person having you test them. And if you think the chance is insignificant you don’t tell them to isolate.

The patient mentioned in the post you're quoting doesn't meet the threshold of risk and case definition that the state is currently operating under. These measures are in place so that we don't overload our system testing everyone with a sniffle. The recommendation of isolation is an additional control measure in case that persons condition worsens and they may then be tested in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

They have plenty of people that were in contact with confirmed cases they need to test, prioritising those people is the right thing to do. Testing someone that most likely has a cold isn't a good use of resources.

I see what you say, but lets look at it like this...if people have it but are not bring tested then they are just walking around spreading it to others. This will just add more pressure to the HSE resources in 2 or 3 weeks times.

We should be aggressively testing everyone like in Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236337756214788100

Considerably worse than Iran at the moment

MadYaker wrote: »
    So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

Fear of a shortage on account of the eejits panic buying? It's like how a herd of animals suddenly runs off when one individual gets spooked but with countries instead, IE Australia had panic buying of loo roll, now every where has!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I see what you say, but lets look at it like this...if people have it but are not bring tested then they are just walking around spreading it to others. This will just add more pressure to the HSE resources in 2 or 3 weeks times.

We should be aggressively testing everyone like in Korea

No, they're not walking around spreading it because they've been advised to self-isolate.

About 50.
    Well I wouldn't be in work anyways so that's not much of a problem:pac:

No queues either. They can't close the Trevi fountain.

If you haggled for a hotel room you'd get one for half nothing. The place is awful quiet apparently. No bother getting dinner reservations :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Bad day for Italy.... no sign of plateuing ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Meanwhile the Toilet roll wars in Australia continue

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5177076/coronavirus-panic-as-women-filmed-brawling-over-last-toilet-roll-in-supermarket/amp/

the epitome of the first world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement