Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

MadYaker wrote: »
    So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

Can't say for sure, but I presume lots of those people have families and if they're required to all quarantine themselves at home would they not need a lot of toilet paper to last the 14 days? A family of 4+ would probably easily go through 1-2 rolls per day, so for 14 days they'd need 14-28 rolls...did you not consider this before asking this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

A dog. Singular.

And they think the virus was just sticking in his airways rather than infecting him (or her).

Indeed.

Way too much media focus has been given to the dog.
    We're not going to be getting it from dogs, we'll be getting it from each other.

The dog will have an important sub-plot in the eventual Hollywood movie, only the role will be played by a proper dog and not a pomeranian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Miike wrote: »
    The patient mentioned in the post you're quoting doesn't meet the threshold of risk and case definition that the state is currently operating under. These measures are in place so that we don't overload our system testing everyone with a sniffle. The recommendation of isolation is an additional control measure in case that persons condition worsens and they may then be tested in the future.

Asking someone to self-isolate and stay at home is not something you do lightly (you are asking them to skip work/college and social interactions for 2 weeks which is very unusual). If you think the suspicion level is high enough to impose those unusual restrictions upon them, why don’t you test them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I see what you say, but lets look at it like this...if people have it but are not bring tested then they are just walking around spreading it to others. This will just add more pressure to the HSE resources in 2 or 3 weeks times.

We should be aggressively testing everyone like in Korea

They are being asked to self isolate so they are not walking around. We test the high priority people first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

Cause the food we’ve stockpiled needs to come out at some stage, simple really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm a bit concerned that with the criteria around testing that many will have the virus and not be detected for a while. Meanwhile the DOH and HSE will be reporting low enough numbers leading to people thinking this situation was just overhyped and drop their guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

No, they're not walking around spreading it because they've been advised to self-isolate.

haha good luck trying to get people to self isolate for 2+ weeks if they have jobs.

No manger will accept this unless the employee can prove he/she is postive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why do people buy toilet paper?
    To wipe their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭McGiver

Democratic? That's questionable, buts that's for another thread
    Democratic? That's questionable, buts that's for another thread
    Either you are a Russian bot or you never lived outside of democracy. I'd tend to think the latter.

You've no idea how infinitely less democratic and infinitely less free living under an authoritarian regime means compared to however flawed the EU democracy is. And it's people like you who typically bring democratic regimes down and get authoritarian populist to power.

/OT cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In the yanks are in for a shock when they actually start testing people and I think Trump knows it, you can tell he's worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

How many cases in Rome? My worry would be if the sh!t hits the fan even more you might not be able to get home very easily. Interesting idea though.

Rome has 49 cases and there is 1 in the Vatican State

https://lab24.ilsole24ore.com/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If you haggled for a hotel room you'd get one for half nothing. The place is awful quiet apparently. No bother getting dinner reservations :D

Sounds wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No, they're not walking around spreading it because they've been advised to self-isolate.

Other people with symptoms looking at the criteria and hearing these stories will not call the HSE and will be walking around potentially spreading the virus.

Should everyone with a cold self isolate then? and if so why aren't they telling people to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How are we getting off so lightly with the number of cases?

Cases popping up all over the shop but not here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I see what you say, but lets look at it like this...if people have it but are not bring tested then they are just walking around spreading it to others. This will just add more pressure to the HSE resources in 2 or 3 weeks times.

Not if you do as you're told and self isolate until symptoms are more defined. They can't test every person who phones up with a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The French are currently debating if cancelling the upcoming local elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Bob24 wrote: »
    Asking someone to self-isolate and stay at home is not something you do lightly (you are asking them to skip work/college and social interactions). If you think the suspicion level is high enough to impose those restrictions, why don’t you test them?

Again, they don't meet the threshold to be tested. We can NOT test everyone who rings with a sniffle as it currently stands. We will overload the NVRL before they have the chance to get local hospital groups testing for COVID19.

Current risk and case definitions are under constant review inline with international guidance. This is evidence based medicine operating as evidence based medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

98 new cases so far today in Spain and 5 new deaths also today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

It won't be for the HSE and the govt it'll be for the people.

Bruce from the WHO said it will require a big shift in mindset. Dr Mike Ryan WHO said 'no health system is ready'. I'm not making a judgement about anyone because they've already done their bit many times over but I do think people's attitudes will change if they are presented with what I believe will be an unprecedented crisis. At least two countries have used the language and demeanor of war after a tiny number of cases and the Dr in the channel 4 interview says that is the appropriate disposition.

Putting on the green jersey was cynically exploited by politicians after the crash. They have sown the wind and that usually means they reap the whirlwind. People may well consider that the country needs an extraordinary response bug that clear request must be from a completely united Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Blueshoe wrote: »

Not reported today’s numbers

McGiver wrote: »
    Either you are a Russian bot or you never lived outside of democracy. I'd tend to think the latter.

You've no idea how infinitely less democratic and infinitely less free living under an authoritarian regime means compared to however flawed the EU democracy is. And it's people like you who typically bring democratic regimes down and get authoritarian populist to power.

/OT cheers
    Yeah. He's a nutter. Seems to want a situation like a burning of the Reichstag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    So you believe we only have 18 cases and the HSE are doing literally everything they can to limit its spread?

Didn't I already just explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Because the HSE are only testing people who had contact with a confirmed case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Not reported today’s numbers

Do they report them every evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You don't have a problem if you don't check to see if you have one in the first place. Not many fit HSEs testing criteria so our level of testing and hence the numbers reported is low at the moment. That my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

frillyleaf wrote: »
    You pay €7,200 a year for a one person healthcare plan ?

That's one of the cheaper plans. Everyone that is working is paying 15% of their salary into the health system. Or if you are private you pay a fixed amount per month.

I can’t understand it either. My daughters live in Oz and we FaceTimed when they went to the shop. The entire toilet roll section was empty. I wouldn’t believe them till that showed me.

It was my usual time to buy toilet roll yesterday and I felt like I was doing something bold putting it in the trolley :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,861 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the test is only going to return a positive if someone has symptoms \ body has triggered antibodies in response to the virus.
    Someone incubating the virus will probably test negative. So there's no point in testing too early - especially if they have limited tests\capacity.

But the HSE bet the house on - if you don't have symptoms you're not a risk for passing for it on. And I don't think the science is 100% there on that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

There is a lag because the testing is taking longer and there are no briefings this weekend apparently. Plus we are not testing many people due to strict criteria. If there is community spread we are in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement