Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can’t understand it either. My daughters live in Oz and we FaceTimed when they went to the shop. The entire toilet roll section was empty. I wouldn’t believe them till that showed me.

It was my usual time to buy toilet roll yesterday and I felt like I was doing something bold putting it in the trolley :D

What's next? Tin foil I suspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Miike wrote: »
    Again, they don't meet the threshold to be tested. We can NOT test everyone who rings with a sniffle as it currently stands. We will overload the NVRL before they have the chance to get local hospital groups testing for COVID19.

Current risk and case definitions are under constant review inline with international guidance. This is evidence based medicine operating as evidence based medicine.

But again you didn’t answer my question. If your evidence based medicine tells you that there is no need to test; why do you tell someone to completely isolate from society for the next 2 weeks which is an extreme and very unusual measure?

There is a clear incoherence here.

Also if you read the post the person didn’t just “ring with a sniffle”. They were told they matched the symptoms but would not be tested because they are not a contact of a known infected patient and don’t have a travel history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    haha good luck trying to get people to self isolate for 2+ weeks if they have jobs.

No manger will accept this unless the employee can prove he/she is postive.

Seek doctors advice... doctor gives advice... ignore it anyway.

Wide spread community transmission...
    40f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A dog. Singular.

And they think the virus was just sticking in his airways rather than infecting him (or her).

I genuinely misread that as sticking in his arseways, trapped in faecal matter or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Somebody said a few pages back that you won't get 100% of the population getting it. How exactly does this work?

I said it a few times but I'm absolutely terrified and it seems like all the Italians have to do is look at you and you'll get the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Flights from Dub to Rome are 50 euro return.

Hotels are 50 euro a night. Weather is a balmy 18°C next week.

Then come home and take 2 weeks paid off work to self isolate. Might take the chance. Sounds great :D:D

why worry about Italians flying over when our own people can go to Italy pick up the virus and bring it back to us with no effort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

One more case of coronavirus is confirmed in east of country, bringing the total to 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Which is worse getting the coronavirus or watching Spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fr336 wrote: »
    EU needs to club together and offer total economic and general assistance to Italy both to help the Italians and Europe as a whole. They need economic breathing space to take drastic measures now. Wtf is the point of the EU if it can't get its finger out in emergencies? Argh!

The EU by their inaction on this whole thing have really surprised me.

Like how many emergency summits have we seen over the years with politicians summonsed to Brussels late at night.

Surely one is warranted to put in place a cross continent containment plan or is it only matters of finance and not medical emergencies that meet that criteria.

Utterly mind boggling inaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

darjeeling wrote: »
    Indeed.

Way too much media focus has been given to the dog.
    We're not going to be getting it from dogs, we'll be getting it from each other.

The dog will have an important sub-plot in the eventual Hollywood movie, only the role will be played by a proper dog and not a pomeranian.

Sure the dogs on the street know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I said it a few times but I'm absolutely terrified and it seems like all the Italians have to do is look at you and you'll get the virus.

rationality our of the window i see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

There is a lag because the testing is taking longer and there are no briefings this weekend apparently. Plus we are not testing many people due to strict criteria. If there is community spread we are in trouble.

There is already community spread, that’s the problem. The HSE might think we’re idiots, we’re not. The number of cases is huge, but not officially cause they’re not testing enough people. It’s a hear no evil see no evil situation by them and the biggest con job. Don’t trust them, make your own decisions. Remember how they messed up the cervical check program and the lengths they went to to silence victims and cover their arse. Don’t trust them with this either, it’s probably the biggest emergency our country will face in a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

ANY idea if we'll hear any update on numbers today? Anyone with actual info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Miike wrote: »
    Seek doctors advice... doctor gives advice... ignore it anyway.

Wide spread community transmission...
    40f.png

In that case everyone with the sniffles should be self isolating. They only advise it if you ring them ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    why worry about Italians flying over when our own people can go to Italy pick up the virus and bring it back to us with no effort?

Well, we get a holiday out of it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Ireland is sleepwalking into the parades next week like nothing's happened

"The IMF is not coming" was said to us in 2010. We slept walked into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Somebody said a few pages back that you won't get 100% of the population getting it. How exactly does this work?

On the diamond princess only 20% of them got it, and they were mainly older and in very close proximity.

You know the way the HSE is underfunded and doesn't perform as well as people hope it would. That's because ye have voted in successive governments who prioritises tax cuts over a national health service. Realistically, there should be a 2-4% increase across the board. Then we would actually have a great health service.but you know, selfishness of the Irish public in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Not reported today’s numbers
    News will be on in a minute and if the other media outlets aren't releasing figures yet, likelihood at this point is that the state media report will contain virtually nothing of value about this pandemic.

Oh there's actually just been one reported case in "The East".

I can't wait to hear what they have to say about that.
    Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Sounds wonderful.
    Be careful in Rome, you can't rule out transmission through your stigmata.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Fia11 wrote: »
    ANY idea if we'll hear any update on numbers today? Anyone with actual info?

Here's an update right now on RTE: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0307/1120787-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

One more case of coronavirus is confirmed in east of country, bringing the total to 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

jester77 wrote: »
    That's one of the cheaper plans. Everyone that is working is paying 15% of their salary into the health system. Or if you are private you pay a fixed amount per month.

Is that not pretty pretty outrageous no matter what way you look at it compared to what people pay here?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Just one new case? If this is the situation then great, but I find it hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Bob24 wrote: »
    But again you didn’t answer my question. If your evidence based medicine tells you that there is no need to test; why do you tell someone to completely isolate from society for the next 2 weeks which is an extreme and very unusual measure?

There is a clear incoherence here.

Also if you read the post the person didn’t “ring with a sniffle”. They met all the symptoms but were told no test because they are not a contact of an infected patient and don’t have a travel history.
    RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Stolen from reddit:

"HSE doctor got in touch with me today to talk about my symptoms. Said that while it sounds like I have similar symptoms that I don't have it as I wasn't in direct contact with a confirmed case. They also can't test me for that reason.

Something doesn't match up here. I wonder what it is?

As for the second part of your post the rationale for NOT testing people is they don't mean the ECDC or HPSC case definitions. They are deemed to be very low risk. The purpose of self-isolation advice is an ADDITIONAL control measure in the event the patients condition worsens (thus meeting testing criteria) and stop them spreading it in the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Only positive is that the number of deaths for Italy is less than yesterday. 36 today, 49 yesterday.

That, and the number of those who have recovered: 589 in total in Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Imagine the county council trying to organize something like this is a few weeks time.

https://streamable.com/sx0he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Yeah one they held back from reporting on yesterday so it looks like they’re working over the weekend......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You know the way the HSE is underfunded

It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

dan786 wrote: »

Can we have it in blue font next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

b
    There is a lag because the testing is taking longer and there are no briefings this weekend apparently. Plus we are not testing many people due to strict criteria. If there is community spread we are in trouble.

There is community spread? The guy in his forties in ICU in CUH? They have no idea where he got it from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement