Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but another good sign is that only one healthcare worker out of 60+ who were tested in CUH tested positive after contact with the confirmed case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I honestly find 1 new case hard to believe given we have put no travel restrictions or containment measures in place and the numbers on the continent continue to mushroom...

I’d bet there’s tests stacked up waiting to be checked Monday. There’s no way the labs are flat out this weekend, we’re in for a shock next week, wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

1 is alot better than expected.
    Let's see where we're at in another few days

and yet we hear of people with symptoms not being tested

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

screamer wrote: »
    There is already community spread, that’s the problem. The HSE might think we’re idiots, we’re not. The number of cases is huge, but not officially cause they’re not testing enough people. It’s a hear no evil see no evil situation by them and the biggest con job. Don’t trust them, make your own decisions. Remember how they messed up the cervical check program and the lengths they went to to silence victims and cover their arse. Don’t trust them with this either, it’s probably the biggest emergency our country will face in a generation.

If you genuinely believe this, what is their reason for doing this?
    Qui bono?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Because it isn't. It's mismanaged, top heavy with management since its formation, and the unions are firmly eating from that trough, you'd be lucky to change the brand of a needle used without the unions looking for money as compensation, and there's massive resistance to change.

What? There is constant cost saving initiatives in the HSE. If it saves money whilst not compromising patient safety. It happens. How would a union have an influence in what needles are used? Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

How long do results take from the time you're tested, out of interest?

Was taking 12 hrs, now taking 48 I suspect this is why the low numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Seamai wrote: »
    Is that not pretty pretty outrageous no matter what way you look at it compared to what people pay here?

Well, the system here is not cracking, no one waiting for a bed or ridiculous times for an Op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but another good sign is that only one healthcare worker out of 60+ who were tested in CUH tested positive after contact with the confirmed case.

That we know of!

As far as I know the CUH workers were tested Friday morning and results were in by 5pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This is what I'm worried about.

Ah it's just one, we have nothing to worry about, and have people go out spreading the disease not knowing they have it. They need to put the fear into people and our government to actually try and limit the spread of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yep, IReland is ok !!!

So F*ck the rest of Europe !!

I’d bet there’s tests stacked up waiting to be checked Monday. There’s no way the labs are flat out this weekend, we’re in for a shock next week, wait and see

Look. I'm going to have to cut out this misinformation. HSE labs run 24/7. It would be bananas if they don't. It's shift work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

spurious wrote: »
    If you genuinely believe this, what is their reason for doing this?
    Qui bono?

Same as the reason we were lied to about the imf all those years ago..... to prevent a run on hospitals/ gps etc. Self preservation for the HSE, same as the cervical scandal.

MadYaker wrote: »
    So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??
    In Oz it started out with Chinese people buying bog roll to send to their relatives back home.

Once people see empty shelves they join in due to herd mentality.

It's the same with masks, Chinese ex-pats around the world have been buying them up and sending them to their relatives.

Look. I'm going to have to cut out this misinformation. HSE labs run 24/7. It would be bananas if they don't. It's shift work.
    This. Even more true in this circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

To put things into perspective, Italy had 20 cases almost exactly 2 weeks ago. Ireland has 19 confirmed now

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/316551/italy-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-spreads-in-northern-italy-february-21-update-3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where is the source for it taking this long ?

It's still a quick turn around. They now do 2 runs a day. Test in by 10am result by lunch, after 10am result by the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know of someone who had results six hours after the swap was done.

I've seen a negative result in less than 7 hours just yesterday.. so you are talking bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Is it too early to suggest the Govt needs to incentivise beef farmers to switch to tillage and/or horticulture for 2020?

Only half joking, as usual 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Same as the reason we were lied to about the imf all those years ago..... to prevent a run on hospitals/ gps etc. Self preservation for the HSE, same as the cervical scandal.

OK, that really does not make sense.
    How many thousand HSE employees are in on this con?

Just listen to the nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Is it time to panic yet?

2xDrBks8Apri8oBM9

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

I really don't understand that living with your grandmother means you are higher risk of obtaining Covid-19. What's your rationale?

He does not say he is at higher risk of catching it. They (namely granny) are at risk of getting pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Posters already teased this out a few pages ago. It takes 12 to 24 hours but tests must be in the lab by 10am.
    https://nvrl.ucd.ie/node/209

I also note that Dr Holohan said yesterday that there's scope in various labs for a significant increase in number of tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They are very well funded by any international standard, but the Irish public are not gedrrung value for money. Too much waste in the HSE and too many admin fat cats who get paid too much for doing too little. Unionised to the teeth also, change is impossible, and so the waste and underperformance grows each year, rising costs and needing more money. We pay too much for the ****e and not enough for the hard working frontline staff.

I agree. I don't think someone working in an admin position in the HSE will understand this.

By private sector standards they are not lean at all. The money is wasted in inefficiencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

McGiver wrote: »
    Either you are a Russian bot or you never lived outside of democracy. I'd tend to think the latter.

You've no idea how infinitely less democratic and infinitely less free living under an authoritarian regime means compared to however flawed the EU democracy is. And it's people like you who typically bring democratic regimes down and get authoritarian populist to power.

/OT cheers
    oa0k5tr6uct01.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I couldn't find any powdered milk in the shops, just in case. So what can we use for our tea if we need to go into quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This is what I'm worried about.

Ah it's just one, we have nothing to worry about, and have people go out spreading the disease not knowing they have it. They need to put the fear into people and our government to actually try and limit the spread of it.

Why would u want to put the fear into anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

That’s exactly what I was thinking. How many tests have been run and approved today? There’ll be a spike on Monday if they’re on hold. I think on the news they said 200 tests have been run since Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I've seen a negative result in less than 7 hours just yesterday.. so you are talking bollocks.

I've seen 6 not including transport time. Despite the NVRL Press release stating it could take 12 to 24.

https://nvrl.ucd.ie/node/209

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement