Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Look. I'm going to have to cut out this misinformation. HSE labs run 24/7. It would be bananas if they don't. It's shift work.

I never said the labs weren’t running, but they’re on skeleton staff so no way we’re seeing results from everything that should be tested.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

If I catch the disease at least I don't have to worry about catching it a second time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Is it time to panic yet?

2xDrBks8Apri8oBM9

Depends on your source of information, Boards or the experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

screamer wrote: »
    I’d bet there’s tests stacked up waiting to be checked Monday. There’s no way the labs are flat out this weekend, we’re in for a shock next week, wait and see

We're not, because we're expecting the numbers to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Having worked retail in the past it's the till staff in shops and supermarkets that I'd worry about. Handling money and items touched by hundreds of customers each day pretty much guarantees you'll be exposed to every virus going. I used to catch everything no matter what steps I took, including wearing gloves. People cough on you, on their items, pull money out of God knows where on themselves.
    Buy a smart screen pen in deals and use it at the self checkout. Use Google or apple pay and stay away from cash. As a customer you can take steps to limit possible exposure. For the staff it's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why would the HSE lie though, this is a european problem with most countries a lot worse than us. It's not like they would lose face or anything. Nothing to gain from hiding information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I never said the labs weren’t running, but they’re on skeleton staff so no way we’re seeing results from everything that should be tested.....

Who is telling you these labs are on "skeleton staff"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Same as the reason we were lied to about the imf all those years ago..... to prevent a run on hospitals/ gps etc. Self preservation for the HSE, same as the cervical scandal.
    Was taking 12 hrs, now taking 48 I suspect this is why the low numbers

I hope people are not using this thread for advice or accurate information. It has become farcical .

spurious wrote: »
    OK, that really does not make sense.
    How many thousand HSE employees are in on this con?

Just listen to the nonsense.

I don’t blindly believe what I am spoon fed from our government and their departments, if you do that’s your look out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Only 1 new case??? Im reluctant to get my hopes up about that. I was expecting us to be up to 50 or so by now. Maybe being an island helps but we'll see what comes on monday.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would the HSE lie though, this is a european problem with most countries a lot worse than us. It's not like they would lose face or anything. Nothing to gain from hiding information.

its global!

Was taking 12 hrs, now taking 48 I suspect this is why the low numbers

Since we're making things up now...

I suspect there are 17 million cases of COVID19 in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's the thing if they lie now and many die they will look so bad.

Perhaps it's the truth but also their ability to test is probably far lower than it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolute rubbish. Test results are coming through in five to six hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

screamer wrote:
    I’d bet there’s tests stacked up waiting to be checked Monday. There’s no way the labs are flat out this weekend, we’re in for a shock next week, wait and see
    What exactly are you basing this on?
    Because its a load of sh*te.

Look. I'm going to have to cut out this misinformation. HSE labs run 24/7. It would be bananas if they don't. It's shift work.

But there’s only one lab right now for Covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I really don't understand that living with your grandmother means you are higher risk of obtaining Covid-19. What's your rationale?

Speaking of the case you are referring to, The guy lives with his elderly grandmother and has reported unwell. But he has been deemed low risk and it may just be a cold and to see how he goes.

The risk here is the potential of spreading COVID-19 to an elderly person who is in the higher risk bracket of being seriously unwell with it further burdening the system.

If the guy lived with only his wife same age there is a lower risk so OK to leave patient be.

You have to factor in more than the symptoms at hand when deciding whether to conduct testing.

Number of people in house, age demographics, health history of these people in the household, occupation. All of which can be gathered verbally. Obviously contact with these people.

It's common sense given the nature of the virus otherwise the testing will be pointless.

Thats my rationale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Miike wrote: »

Most citizens have 3 strains of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

tillyfilly wrote: »
    its global!

Oh I know but how we look to europe it what matters the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How would a union have an influence in what needles are used? Bizarre.

Is everything in your life this literal? There's obvious poetic licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Any new cases? Or still 18?

Was working all day

There is at least that in one hospital alone.

I'm arranging a protest march against the Coronavirus in Dublin on 14th March, the more people we get out on the day the more effective the march will be

What exactly are you basing this on?
    Because its a load of sh*te.

Yep, well we’ll see won’t we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Downlinz wrote: »
    Public transportation mainly or any confined space where I'm near others for a while.

I have an NCT appointment coming up soon for example and their waiting room is tiny and always overcrowded so that seems like a good place to wear one.

FFS Wait outside! There is no rule saying you have to stay in the waiting room. A little bit of cop on will go a long way during this crisis!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

fr336 wrote: »
    The EU is 26 countries, they hand over billions to the thing each year, and yet here we are in a doomsday scenario and they can't come up with anything!

Why is this website so infested with Eurosceptics pumping out their ignorant bile?
    The "EU" may have some state-like aspects but it is not a state.
    It has a limited budget for a defined set of tasks.
    It is not going to ride to the rescue/drop a chair down from the gods to save member states from "doomsday":confused: or indeed their own foolishness and greed. If it starts trying to do that or go beyond competencies/develop new powers on some sort of solo run the Eurosceptics would be first to shout foul of course.

edit: Also for 2019 the EU budget was EUR 166 Bn. By comparison the UK budget was almost EUR 1000 Bn. Maybe the UK should just ride to everyone's rescue here for the public good + to show how much they still really love their EU friends and neighbours despite Brexit! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Miike wrote: »

My wife works for the HSE, her husband told me this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

UK seem to be tightening restrictions.
    "It now says people who develop symptoms after returning from any part of Italy - not just the north of the country - should self-isolate, while those returning from quarantined areas should self-isolate even without symptoms.

The Foreign Office is also warning travellers to Moscow in Russia that they may be told to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival from the UK, as part of measures to control the virus.

It says in a small number of cases, foreign visitors have been placed in enforced quarantine if they have not complied."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but another good sign is that only one healthcare worker out of 60+ who were tested in CUH tested positive after contact with the confirmed case.
    The policy is that they're not testing anyone who didn't show symptoms. We don't actually have any evidence to suggest that the female healthcare worker in the south of the country is connected with him, the HSE were very clear about that. Anecdotally, that case is connected with UHL.

The amount of close contacts not yet displaying symptoms after exposure to the man in CUH (incubation period of 2-7 days) is undisclosed. Any people that had symptoms, the results of their tests will not be known for a further day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They don't want to create panic, that brings it's own problems. They are panicking thought just not in public.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Most citizens have 3 strains of it.

and I heard from my neighbors sister who head from her butchers brother that you can contract it from looking into the sun. We'll run out of sun glasses with the panic buying!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement