Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Meanwhile the Toilet roll wars in Australia continue

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5177076/coronavirus-panic-as-women-filmed-brawling-over-last-toilet-roll-in-supermarket/amp/

the epitome of the first world
    Aw she could have given her one pack ffs! Mean old bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

screamer wrote: »
    Same as the reason we were lied to about the imf all those years ago..... to prevent a run on hospitals/ gps etc. Self preservation for the HSE, same as the cervical scandal.

What exactly is a "run on hospitals/ gps"?

Anyone with any sense would stay well away unless they actually need treatment. Anything anyone says will not cause more or less people to be sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yep, well we’ll see won’t we.

You don't work in the HSE but some of those people who are calling you out actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I don't think the hse is lying. The presentation they did the other day was sobering if a little shallow on detail. They looked shook.
    A lot of talk on ramping up services to cope with what's coming. No one was saying it'll be grand. Only the fools on here say that.
    I did notice that only a couple thousand people had watched it, maybe their message isn't getting out as much as it could.

I never said the labs weren’t running, but they’re on skeleton staff so no way we’re seeing results from everything that should be tested.....
    You know the way that health care emergencies don't tend to stick to 9-5, Mon-Fri. Well the labs are the same way. There would obviously be less staff on nights but any emergency results are processed quickly. More routine bloods or from GPs would be pushed down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I couldn't find any powdered milk in the shops, just in case. So what can we use for our tea if we need to go into quarantine?

Buy a cow and milk it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They don't want to create panic, that brings it's own problems. They are panicking thought just not in public.

Pretending everything is fine will make things a hundred times worse for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don't work in the HSE but some of those people who are calling you out actually do.

The saying about playing chess with a pigeon comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Look. I'm going to have to cut out this misinformation. HSE labs run 24/7. It would be bananas if they don't. It's shift work.
    It's not shift work. It's an on call service.

One person on call in each department.

I dont know how they're working it in the NVRL because these are exceptional circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

MadYaker wrote: »
    So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

Not 'a load' but a bit extra early a week ago. Enough maybe for an extra 2 weeks so far.

The thing about it is that it doesn't matter how logical I think it is or not, certain items get panic bought when people are spooked. If you think there will be run on shops then you know it'll be out of stock for a little while which means you could well be without it. I happen to think there will be a run on the shops initially I don't want to be forced to join in :)

BTW this is my first time in life every even entertaining the idea of 'prepping', I just look at the world and I am noticing I haven't seen events like this before in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

niallo27 wrote: »
    Pretending everything is fine will make things a hundred times worse for themselves.

Sure you didn't mean to post that on the Utd page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

You know the way the HSE is underfunded and doesn't perform as well as people hope it would. That's because ye have voted in successive governments who prioritises tax cuts over a national health service. Realistically, there should be a 2-4% increase across the board. Then we would actually have a great health service.but you know, selfishness of the Irish public in general.

I assume the HSE has some inefficiencies in how it runs and is managed, afair don't we spend more on our health service per capita compared with countries which have much better quality universal healthcare? But anyway, yeah I would agree with increasing taxes in order to have top class healthcare that's able to comfortably cope and I think extra funding combined with a bit of a revamp to ensure it's running as efficiently and effectively would justify that tax increase and everyone would benefit from it

But there’s only one lab right now for Covid19.

I'm actually not sure but I don't understand why there is only one facility for a fairly simple biochemical assay. I don't see why it couldn't be tested for in letterkenny or Tralee. It's not a super hard assay once you've figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

For a few hours now I have been singing "Covid19" to the tune of "Come on Eileen.....", you have all caught it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Buy a cow and milk it yourself.
    Wow you're just full of useful tidbits.

To the other poster, almond milk keeps for about a year (check BB date) in the cupboard and it's a convincing enough alternative to powdered anyway. You can get UHT as well but nobody buys that because it's sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

They are very well funded by any international standard, but the Irish public are not gedrrung value for money. Too much waste in the HSE and too many admin fat cats who get paid too much for doing too little. Unionised to the teeth also, change is impossible, and so the waste and underperformance grows each year, rising costs and needing more money. We pay too much for the ****e and not enough for the hard working frontline staff.

Absolutely. And add the unwieldly, top-heavy structure with poor accountability, and resistance to change. The resistance is both within the HSE and without, ie, with us public. Out of date, poorly functioning services are kept because there is local uproar when any rationalisation is proposed.

According to the OECD 2018 report our per capita health spend was €4706, which was 1/3 above the average for the 35 member countries. The US, Switerland, Luxembourg and Norway were the top spenders. We spent more per capita than France, Denmark or Holland.

The health service gives poor value for money. Radical reform is needed before more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've thought this prep through its not workable in my situation, I'm in a house share, how are we to isolate when we all use the same loo and shower room and a shared kitchen.

Does that mean I have to disinfect the toilet or shower room after I use it and the hallway I've walked through. If I prep I leave no room in cupboard or fridge for the other 4 guys stuff. Recently its just a quick visit to the corner shop, but remaining in the corner of my bedroom glued to this thread at times, jumping 5 pages here, 2 pages there and still not catching up, a sure fast moving thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just one case really bucks the trend so understandable why people are skeptical.

I guess it can only be put in perspective when you know how many tests were carried out i.e. Two tests, one case vs 2000 tests, one case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Having worked retail in the past it's the till staff in shops and supermarkets that I'd worry about. Handling money and items touched by hundreds of customers each day pretty much guarantees you'll be exposed to every virus going. I used to catch everything no matter what steps I took, including wearing gloves. People cough on you, on their items, pull money out of God knows where on themselves.
    Buy a smart screen pen in deals and use it at the self checkout. Use Google or apple pay and stay away from cash. As a customer you can take steps to limit possible exposure. For the staff it's another story.

Been sneeze or cough be worse. Handling contaminated items less so, unless have a hand wound. Wash hands regularly or use alcohol disinfectant, and don't put your hands to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm actually not sure but I don't understand why there is only one facility for a fairly simple biochemical assay. I don't see why it couldn't be tested for in letterkenny or Tralee. It's not a super hard assay once you've figured it out.

The NVRL is the only lab currently accredited and calibrated to run the rRT-PCR for SARS CoV 2. This is being expended to local hospital groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Miike wrote: »
    Since we're making things up now...

I suspect there are 17 million cases of COVID19 in Ireland.

That'll be the bleedin fordener coming here with their diseases, in cahoots with the HSE under the direction of big business giving them free gaffs, healthcare and disposal perambulators to leave behind at every bus stop, inflating our numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

1641 wrote: »
    According to the OECD 2018 report our per capita health spend was €4706,

Is that inclusive of health insurance premiums do you know? Or simply the taxation burden per capita?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

We will see what he says in 3 weeks.

Honestly I don't get this bravado from people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Am I missing a joke?

Just calculate total cases in Italy/total population and do the same for Ireland. You can figure this out for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Well, I think that he’s not very good at maths. Even if you take the entire population of Italy v Ireland they have more than 20 times more confirmed cases than Ireland even on a per capita basis. Never mind just the north of Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I honestly find 1 new case hard to believe given we have put no travel restrictions or containment measures in place and the numbers on the continent continue to mushroom...It just seems unlikely for our numbers to be dropping
    I’d bet there’s tests stacked up waiting to be checked Monday. There’s no way the labs are flat out this weekend, we’re in for a shock next week, wait and see

Jesus lads, ye sound almost disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

You know the way the HSE is underfunded and doesn't perform as well as people hope it would. That's because ye have voted in successive governments who prioritises tax cuts over a national health service. Realistically, there should be a 2-4% increase across the board. Then we would actually have a great health service.but you know, selfishness of the Irish public in general.

Or maybe the government should have to prove it’s spending all the current tax wisely and not squandering it before raising taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Italy will issue a decree later tonight with new measures to stop coronavirus, according to Reuters. Local media says new areas will be put on lockdown

Wuhan 2.0 incoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

tillyfilly wrote: »
    One more case of coronavirus is confirmed in east of country, bringing the total to 19
    1 case? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement