Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

I'm actually not sure but I don't understand why there is only one facility for a fairly simple biochemical assay. I don't see why it couldn't be tested for in letterkenny or Tralee. It's not a super hard assay once you've figured it out.

This was discussed with Martina91 & Miike this afternoon. Was an interesting convo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

The 1 confirmed case figure is for only upto lunchtime. There may be more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some people in other countries live okay without milk and potatoes and bread. You should be buying 20kg bags of white rice, that will stay for 4-5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Miike wrote: »
    The NVRL is the only lab currently accredited and calibrated to run the rRT-PCR for SARS CoV 2. This is being expended to local hospital groups.

A mate of mine is a post doc researcher in NUIG and he says they could do testing (they have the equipment and skills) but there's something to do with regulations preventing them as it's a research lab and not generally used for that sort of thing. They aren't authorised to handle the samples was what he said. I assume the gov could open these type of labs up for testing though?

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

Italy has more than 300 times the number of cases we have. They don't have 300 times our population. He needs to check his sums because that claim is simply not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

I've thought this prep through its not workable in my situation, I'm in a house share, how are we to isolate when we all use the same loo and shower room and a shared kitchen.

Does that mean I have to disinfect the toilet or shower room after I use it and the hallway I've walked through. If I prep I leave no room in cupboard or fridge for the other 4 guys stuff. Recently its just a quick visit to the corner shop, but remaining in the corner of my bedroom glued to this thread at times, jumping 5 pages here, 2 pages there and still not catching up, a sure fast moving thread.

Yes, you’re supposed to desinfect the bath after using it and use your own towels.
    Same thing with the kitchen utensils you use.
    I guess in your case you should wear a surgical mask when you’re about the house.
    Don’t each of the flatmates have your own presser or at least a shelf in cupboard/fridge to store your food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

Population of Italy or Northern Italy? His logic really depends on where hes going.

I left for Dubai start of this week. Statically I was going into a riskier area, but in the last 6 days I am now in a safer area due to rise of cases in Ireland.

Dunno though, the difference is its contained in UAE, it's not in Northern Italy. I would say its contained in Ireland still too even if we expect to get more cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

MadYaker wrote: »
    A mate of mine is a post doc researcher in NUIG and he says they could do testing (they have the equipment and skills) but there's something to do with regulations preventing them as it's a research lab and not generally used for that sort of thing. They aren't authorised to handle the samples was what he said. I assume the gov could open these type of labs up for testing though?

If it was needed they could potentially open it up (I highly doubt it will ever come to that). NUIG labs will not be authorised to handle such high risk biological samples and as such aren't accredited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Italy has more than 300 times the number of cases we have. They don't have 300 times our population. He needs to check his sums because that claim is simply not true.

078c546be0e9486c0663bfbee3d2ac34.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You lot complaining about 19 cases while we sit here with over 200 lol - happy to swap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

If you owe him money I'd try and put off paying him until after his holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Jesus lads, ye sound almost disappointed.

Disappointed? Not in the slightest. I am disconcerted however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Achasanai wrote: »
    Am I missing a joke?

Just calculate total cases in Italy/total population and do the same for Ireland. You can figure this out for yourself.

I didn't do the math. Are you saying he is way off?

https://wuc-sailing2020.com/ or this, https://www.sailing.org/regattainfo.php?rgtaid=21306 he mentioned April. It may be this he is going to, him and daughter are going. He mentioned a boating sailing championship his daughter is interested in all that stuff.
    But it's likely to be cancelled I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

fr336 wrote: »
    You lot complaining about 19 cases while we sit here with over 200 lol - happy to swap!

It's about right per capita though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭bennyl10

One confirmed today is very good news.
    Does it mean theirs won’t be 15 tomorrow or Monday, of course not

But in terms of day to day, and some signs that the contact tracing and containment is working, this is good result!

Some here seem legitimately upset we don’t have 50 today so they Can shout ‘we’re all doomed’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Jesus lads, ye sound almost disappointed.

Our figures do seem to be going in the other way to how other countries' are. So it's probably not disappointment, more perplexed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,910 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This was discussed with Martina91 & Miike this afternoon. Was an interesting convo.

And me :(
    I helped too...

Didn't I :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Quite shocked at only one reported today but that is great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Not very good at basic math for an architect is he? They have 98 cases per million, we have 3.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

You know the way that health care emergencies don't tend to stick to 9-5, Mon-Fri. Well the labs are the same way. There would obviously be less staff on nights but any emergency results are processed quickly. More routine bloods or from GPs would be pushed down the line.
    Hospital laboratories provide a routine service from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday.
    Specimens from GPs/ clinics aren't processed at night or weekends.
    I'm actually not sure but I don't understand why there is only one facility for a fairly simple biochemical assay. I don't see why it couldn't be tested for in letterkenny or Tralee. It's not a super hard assay once you've figured it out.
    Money.
    Molecular assays are expensive. Not every hospital has analysers for DNA/RNA extraction or a light cycler to perform the rtPCR.

Labs would have to buy the equipment and validate the assay for use before running patients.

Scientists then have to be trained to use the analysers and be deemed competent to operate them, especially when your on your own, sleep deprived and working 19/20 hours in a row.

In summary, most hospitals wont have the staff or money to provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

https://wuc-sailing2020.com/ It may be this he is going to, him and daughter are going. He mentioned a boating sailing championship his daughter is interested in all that stuff.

Italy has something like 300 times the cases (and hundreds of deaths, of which we have none as yet) but not 300 times the population, so yeah, he's talking out of his arse

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bennyl10 wrote: »

But in terms of day to day, and some signs that the contact tracing and containment is working, this is good result!

Some here seem legitimately upset we don’t have 50 today so they Can shout ‘we’re all doomed’

Very early days.

I expect this to move through the population unfortunately, I just can't see why spread will stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

He seems to be only clever at architecture!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

bennyl10 wrote: »

I think most people would be happy to be wrong then have 50 extra people sick. People are worried they are not concerned about this for fun.

banie01 wrote: »
    And me :(
    I helped too...

Didn't I :pac:

And banie the brains of the operation

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

https://wuc-sailing2020.com/ It may be this he is going to, him and daughter are going. He mentioned a boating sailing championship his daughter is interested in all that stuff.

If we had the same rate of infection as Italy per capita we'd have 480 today and 20 deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    One is good news. Monday evening update will be interesting: realistically it will be end of the month before there’s a definite picture with returnees from Cheltenham and visiting Italians Etc.

Why are flights not being quarantined here?

We all have a part to play to slow down the spread of this disease. Why is our government not helping us? For fcuking Christ almighty. The situation around Europe is becoming bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Scotland catching up with us, 5 more cases confirmed today bringing their total to 16. (BBC)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I've thought this prep through its not workable in my situation, I'm in a house share, how are we to isolate when we all use the same loo and shower room and a shared kitchen.

Does that mean I have to disinfect the toilet or shower room after I use it and the hallway I've walked through. If I prep I leave no room in cupboard or fridge for the other 4 guys stuff. Recently its just a quick visit to the corner shop, but remaining in the corner of my bedroom glued to this thread at times, jumping 5 pages here, 2 pages there and still not catching up, a sure fast moving thread.
    Yeah I've the same problem, been stocking up on stuff purely for that loo cleaning situation you describe.

Inevitably we might need to accept that this will eventually spread to everyone in a house share. Or at least I wish that is something that I could easily accept, one of my housemates is diabetic.

I'm trying to get food that I don't need to cook either in case I do get sick and don't want to spread across the cooking equipment. Wondering if deliveroo could see use here too, like if you order something and tell the rider to call and leave (minimise contact)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 132 per million (pop 340,000)
    South Korea 130
    Italy 68
    Iran 46
    Switzerland 24
    Norway 23
    China 18
    Sweden 13
    Belgium 9
    Singapore 9
    France 9