Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Won't mean **** all unless everywhere else gets their act together.

We can keep the numbers low, but if someone flys in who has it, we are screwed (metaphorically)

If Italy drops the hammer later, prepare to see some big changes. Lot of people will be stuck in their houses for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

bennyl10 wrote: »
    One confirmed today is very good news.
    Does it mean theirs won’t be 15 tomorrow or Monday, of course not

But in terms of day to day, and some signs that the contact tracing and containment is working, this is good result!

Some here seem legitimately upset we don’t have 50 today so they Can shout ‘we’re all doomed’

Not only shout “we’re all doomed” but also “it’s Simon Harris fault”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

boege wrote: »
    You hold a press conference at 8pm and present figures from a report you received earlier in the day - so how much earlier - midday? The report itself is based in in test reports provided even earlier.

The Irish Times article is closely matching the numbers I am hearing so the media is getting more up to date information.
    How does a single new case today reconcile with your info from yesterday? Do you still think there are a lot of cases about to be announced, or do you think the people in isolation all tested negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1236343331082448898?s=19

And damn you whoever gave me Come On Eileen as an earworm :(

owlbethere wrote: »
    Why are flights not being quarantined here?

We all have a part to play to slow down the spread of this disease. Why is our government not helping us? For fcuking Christ almighty. The situation around Europe is becoming bigger.

we dont have the resources and facilities, Im guessing.

• Advertisement

But in terms of day to day, and some signs that the contact tracing and containment is working, this is good result!

Some here seem legitimately upset we don’t have 50 today so they Can shout ‘we’re all doomed’
    It's because the labs were all.closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

949 cases just announced in France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What's the story with people overly stockpiling?

Relax, a family member can leave some shopping at your hall door ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And banie the brains of the operation

;)

Nah I defer to Martina91 and Miike when it comes to their knowledge of what/when and how.

I just asked a question that I got great info from.

That some folks on here are willing to share knowledge and post at times of what must be stress and overwhelming workload should be appreciated by those of us not at the coalface of this outbreak.

Even Martina's recent post regarding why regional hospital groups are going to be restricted in an immediate ramp up to dispersed testing is great info and very eye opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

I really hope it is a sign of very low transmission still. Once numbers start to get significant I will probably amend behaviour for example stop taking luas at rush hour. I will rely on accurate results to take risk based approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭mcgragger

Where is the balance in the reporting?

How many people recovered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

owlbethere wrote: »
    Why are flights not being quarantined here

We don't have laws that allow for quarantine.

There would be Constitutional rights and EU afforded rights which would need to be balanced against if they did try to enact such laws, and on that point, it does not help that we currently only have a caretaker government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's because the labs were all.closed.

Jesus! It doesn't get any better here does it? Misinformation central.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Yeah I've the same problem, been stocking up on stuff purely for that loo cleaning situation you describe.

Inevitably we might need to accept that this will eventually spread to everyone in a house share. Or at least I wish that is something that I could easily accept, one of my housemates is diabetic.

I'm trying to get food that I don't need to cook either in case I do get sick and don't want to spread across the cooking equipment. Wondering if deliveroo could see use here too, like if you order something and tell the rider to call and leave (minimise contact)
    I guess you could coordinate with your flatmates, for example whatsapp them to pick up the delivery and leave it in front of your door, things like that.
    I also share a flat, my advantage is that all bedrooms are en-suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not only shout “we’re all doomed” but also “it’s Simon Harris fault”.

Just out of curiosity, why do you always introduce a political angle into threads?

What's with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

He was joking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

mcgragger wrote: »

Presumably the ones that haven't died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Recoveries are shown in this link.

https://virusncov.com/

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

coastwatch wrote: »
    Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

USA 1

Trump would call this a great thing, a truly beautiful result - all down to him naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭mcgragger

How many people have recovered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah I've the same problem, been stocking up on stuff purely for that loo cleaning situation you describe.

Inevitably we might need to accept that this will eventually spread to everyone in a house share. Or at least I wish that is something that I could easily accept, one of my housemates is diabetic.

I'm trying to get food that I don't need to cook either in case I do get sick and don't want to spread across the cooking equipment. Wondering if deliveroo could see use here too, like if you order something and tell the rider to call and leave (minimise contact)
    From the link below
    Health officials say there is no need for masks or gloves.

The best way to protect yourself from the virus is to:

Wash your hands properly and often
    Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze
    Put used tissues into a bin and wash your hands
    Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
    Avoid close contact with people who are not well.
    Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/stakeholder-meeting-covid-19-978803

I was been sarcastic. I'm HSE civil service bot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Worldwide recoveries are reported here.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Highly irrelevant sample period, and the day isn't over yet.

The general expectation is for the numbers to double every 5-7days, for most countries. The peak is still 12wks away. It will then take another 12wks to gradually reduce.

Then there is also a likelyhood for it to re-emerge Novemeber. A vax likely won't be available, until early Spring 2021. Mutations/strains are also a possibility. There is no good news likely with COVID19 anytime soon.

Outside of China, perhaps one or two other regimes with very stringent, even draconian curfew-type measures, it's here for a the long-haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Highly irrelevant sample period, and the day isn't over yet.

The general expectation is for the numbers to double every 5-7days, for most countries. The peak is still 12wks away. It will then take another 12wks to gradually reduce.

Then there is also a likelyhood for it to re-emerge Novemeber. A vax likely won't be available, until early Spring 2021. Mutations/strains are also a possibility. There is no good news likely with COVID19 anytime soon.

Outside of China, perhaps one or two other regimes with very stringent, even draconian curfew-type measures, it's here for a the long-haul.
    Gosh, I feel so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

fr336 wrote: »
    Trump would call this a great thing, a truly beautiful result - all down to him naturally.

Did you hear him early rambling on about how he could have been a great scientist as well as president? :D He's nuttier than a squirrel. Feel sorry the americans with him in charge. Their numbers will be huge when they start to test people.

otnomart wrote: »
    949 cases just announced in France

Where?

Only seeing 63 myself.

That'd more than double their current amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

The very same type of people that said property prices could only go up back in 2006/2007.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement