Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The very same clowns looking to cancel the parades and to close our country to fordeners
    Hundreds take to Dublin streets calling for left-wing government [url] https://jrnl.ie/5037340[;url] [/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm not getting ahead of myself here as it's looking bad for everyone but is it worth note that France and Germany are surging ahead meanwhile UK posting relatively modest growth and Ireland tiny? Obviously with air travel the island thing can be overdone but makes you wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

owlbethere wrote: »
    Why are flights not being quarantined here?

We all have a part to play to slow down the spread of this disease. Why is our government not helping us? For fcuking Christ almighty. The situation around Europe is becoming bigger.

Your government can’t make you wash your hands.

It can’t make you give up your trip to Cheltenham, Old Trafford or Anfield.

Neither can it stop the idiots turning up at A&E claiming to have the Coronavirus instead of ringing the helpline. Or what about those drunks who will be clogging it up tonight having fallen face down when plastered. The government didn’t make them drink.

Why are Irish people so childish that they need the government to help them when the solutions are in their own hands with a little bit of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭Christy42

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What's the story with people overly stockpiling?

Relax, a family member can leave some shopping at your hall door ffs.

I know. I had to take the loo roll from someone else's cart and sprint for the till today. Course that could just be that I can never figure out the layout in that shop!!

(Obviously a joke, I wish anyone affected by the disease well but I don't really see the need to panic buy. Shops still had plenty of everything they normally do when I was there earlier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Highly irrelevant sample period, and the day isn't over yet.

The general expectation is for the numbers to double every 5-7days, for most countries. The peak is still 12wks away. It will then take another 12wks to gradually reduce.

Then there is also a likelyhood for it to re-emerge Novemeber. A vax likely won't be available, until early Spring 2021. Mutations/strains are also a possibility. There is no good news likely with COVID19 anytime soon.

Outside of China, perhaps one or two other regimes with very stringent, even draconian curfew-type measures, it's here for a the long-haul.

More bs from yet another uninformed idiot. If you're going to post your own personal ramblings based on nothing you should make it clear that thats what the post is. Some people read sh!te like this and take it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In case anyone is interested in facts the current criteria for testing are:

The old criteria where there was travel to an at risk area and / or contact with a confirmed case.

And also: non contacts and people with no travel history who present with community acquired respiratory illness with confirmed radiological diagnosis of pneumonia and or hypoxic respiratory failure (which means low oxygen saturations on blood gas).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Two issues at play here.
    The Covid19 virus and trump derangement syndrome.
    Someone who is suspected of having the virus must self isolate while sufferers of derangement syndrome likely already are self isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

RUMOURS of 4 cases in G.M.I.T.
    Sorry if its been reported already, at work and don't have time to read back over the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone know why try vaccine takes so long to develop, surely with the advances in AI we have these day it should be a lot quicker. Is it the likes of the FDA that slow everything down or thr clinical trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Have to say it looks like the Italians have made a right mess of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I couldn't find any powdered milk in the shops, just in case. So what can we use for our tea if we need to go into quarantine?

Just Barry's with a nip of whiskey. No need for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Where?

Only seeing 63 myself.

That'd more than double their current amount.

That 949 is the overall total I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We should just copy their decree now. Get ahead of ourselves if we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

konman wrote: »
    Sorry if its been reported already, at work and don't have time to read back over the thread.
    There's been rumours about UCD, UCC, UL and CIT too. I'd take every single rumour about a university with a tablespoon of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t blindly believe what I am spoon fed from our government and their departments, if you do that’s your look out.

Look at me I'm a rebel I get my information from the good ole reliable interwebs where everything is fact checked and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

MadYaker wrote: »
    Did you hear him early rambling on about how he could have been a great scientist as well as president? :D He's nuttier than a squirrel. Feel sorry the americans with him in charge. Their numbers will be huge when they start to test people.

Can you imagine trying to force quarantine on a crowd of the nuttier yanks, armed to the teeth with AR 15s and AK 47s. Their distrust of the government is legendary already.

It's going to get really crazy over there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm not getting ahead of myself here as it's looking bad for everyone but is it worth note that France and Germany are surging ahead meanwhile UK posting relatively modest growth and Ireland tiny? Obviously with air travel the island thing can be overdone but makes you wonder.

One would imagine travel between France / Germany and northern Italy would have been much higher for the last few weeks than the UK and Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

konman wrote: »

It hasn't been reported already and it shouldn't be spread around until confirmed. Rumors don't help.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone know why try vaccine takes so long to develop, surely with the advances in AI we have these day it should be a lot quicker. Is it the likes of the FDA that slow everything down or thr clinical trials.

Because if you just throw one oit, it might kill more people than it protects. But also, side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

There's been rumours about UCD, UCC, UL and CIT too. I'd take every single rumour about a university with a pinch of salt.

Add Sligo IT to that. As you say purely rumours right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

At times like this I think we want that red alert storm to come around St Patrick's Day so that everything is cancelled anyway, surely it would be an act of god. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

More bs from yet another uninformed idiot. If you're going to post your own personal ramblings based on nothing you should make it clear that thats what the post is. Some people read sh!te like this and take it seriously.
    Tell you what MadYank, come back in 12wks, or better still give your estimate now, if you're even under 5,000 numbers wise, feel free to get a grip on reality.

This 12wk forecast comes from Dr Peter Piot, a microbiologist who helped to discover Ebola. The peak period is Easter, not next week. And will continue for some time after that before mid-summer reduces it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Two issues at play here.
    The Covid19 virus and trump derangement syndrome.

Trump is very concerned about the economy. He feels that anything negative will have a big knock on for the markets. His entire policy around covid-19 seems to be based on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Only 1 new case??? Im reluctant to get my hopes up about that. I was expecting us to be up to 50 or so by now. Maybe being an island helps but we'll see what comes on monday.

So you make up your own "facts" instead? Will ya ever feck off.

Thread has become a liability at this stage. Been taken over by people who have their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

we dont have the resources and facilities, Im guessing.

That makes sense.

Is there anything our government can do to help us?

Is there anything the EU can do to stop or slow down this disease spreading around Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You can't do medical tests on binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It’s called human trials and waiting to see if there are side-effects.

The point of a vaccine is that it kills less people than the disease, you need to check this with real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Ludo wrote: »
    So you make up your own "facts" instead? Will ya ever feck off.

Thread has become a liability at this stage. Been taken over by people who have their own agenda.

It's as if people want there to be more cases confirmed, so they can create even more panic. Let's just see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Trump is very concerned about the economy. He feels that anything negative will have a big knock on for the markets. His entire policy around covid-19 seems to be based on this.

He doesn't actually care about the markets though he cares about re-election and his problem is hes based so much of of his presidency on how well the markets are doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's as if people want there to be more cases confirmed, so they can create even more panic. Let's just see how it plays out.

South Korea show that more testing and more confirmed cases is not actually a bad thing

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-coronavirus-testing-death-rate-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement