Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There is such a thing as walking pneumonia which is the mildest form... doesn't require hospital treatment:
    https://www.webmd.com/lung/walking-pneumonia#1

But I think coronavirus pneumonia on a whole other level from what I've read.

So do we need hospitalisation for a mild case of Corona virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Right down to ordering the stationary for the post office. Yeah

The person in charge of ordering stationary isn't important.

Trump has appointed the Vice President to be the head of the task-force in charge of containing covid-19. That is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Because 19 cases is absolutely not true, you and I both know that.

You really think Ireland is an exception and that contact tracing is going to make one hell of a difference?

Nowhere can contain this.

I would say the brits are sort of containing it. Maybe being an island helps? I fully expect our numbers to shoot up at some point. I thought we'd have 50 or so by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Ireland is sleepwalking into the parades next week like nothing's happened

The parades will be cancelled this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

what is this based on?

it is his wet dream, he just doubled it every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You really think Ireland is an exception and that contact tracing is going to make one hell of a difference?

We don’t actually know if it is true.

We don’t have a land border so it is easier to trace the journey of those who arrive. I would be more worried if we were Austria or Switzerland as thousands and thousands cross their borders with Northern Italy and aren’t easily traced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

gozunda wrote: »
    *Thats not correct.

The first cases of the coronavirus in Italy were confirmed on 31 January 2020, when two Chinese tourists in Rome tested positive for coronavirus disease

https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20_gennaio_30/coronavirus-italia-corona-9d6dc436-4343-11ea-bdc8-faf1f56f19b7.shtml

Further cases in Italy were confirmed a short time later

I see, you are referring to the two Chinese imported cases which were quarantined immediately.

The genome was also mapped.

'The two sequences from Rome (29 January 2020) are directly connected to each other and both have a travel history to China."

https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/2020-03-05?n=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Contact GP/HSE seems to be the instructions but probably not. This man has answers to some of the questions.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-q-a-hse-expert-answers-your-questions-1.4194343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

just a thought...with the widespread use of cocaine amongst the so called healthy young and middle aged in this country, what effect does this have on the immune system and how would these users respond to being infected with corona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The HSEs advice is you should only be contacting an ambulance or going to a hospital if you are severely ill. Self-isolation is the treatment for mild cases.
    In other words, treat it like you would treat a flu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

what is this based on?
    The uk & Ireland are predicted to be 12wks away from any peak figures
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-will-peak-at-easter-but-it-could-be-back-in-november-qjqjmn307
    (may need sub, by Dr.Peter Piot). the rate of doubling varies hugely, but 5-7days is fair average. A giant parade on 17th March certainly won't help things however.

You won't notice a weekly doubling at first, not even for the rest of March, but as it near the peak it will be a different ball game.

In all, 1/4m cases over 3mths of so, unless there are very, very, very stringent containment methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt it, no offence intended to you, but if it is, so should all gatherings of worldwide participants.

There is a huge World Irish Dancing Championship event planned for early April in the Conference Centre Dublin. Participants, including Irish are from all over the world.

That should be chopped too.

Not being smart, but international mingling at this stage should be discouraged really. For the good of everyone. Let our own infect our own if that's the case, but why import it?

I suppose I am totally overreacting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

saabsaab wrote: »
    Don't want to panic anyone but isn't 1 in 20 5%?

I think his point is that which such small numbers testing positive any death will skew the death rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-will-peak-at-easter-but-it-could-be-back-in-november-qjqjmn307
    (may need sub, by Dr.Peter Piot). the rate of doubling varies hugely, but 5-7days is fair average. A giant parade on 17th March certainly won't help things however.

You won't notice a weekly doubling at first, not even for the rest of March, but as it near the peak it will be a different ball game.

In all, 1/4m cases over 3mths of so, unless there are very, very, very stringent containment methods.

There is no evidence at all that Irish people are passing the virus to one another.....I think only two such cases out of the 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

bb12 wrote: »
    just a thought...with the widespread use of cocaine amongst the so called healthy young and middle aged in this country, what effect does this have on the immune system and how would these users respond to being infected with corona?

Virus is too new to have any meaningful data on that. At the moment they are still trying to figure out the basics, like will warmer weather curb the spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Asking for a friend?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The official number for revery other country is also not "true" then. There are always undiscovered cases of course, but we can only work with known figures rather than making **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There was a doctor on CNN Chris Cuomo other day, he said a Cat Scan could instantly find those infected far quicker that the current testing can.
    a simple scan will show it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

blanch152 wrote: »
    So your solution was to leave thousands of Irish kids out in North Italy for months because as it turns out, one of them had the Coronavirus?

Do you realise how silly that is, and how unnecessary? Have you thought of the unnecessary hardship those kids would have suffered? Sometimes I despair at the reasoning going on here.

No, you do what I said the post before, you tell everybody coming from Italy to self isolate and going forward do the same. You can charter home flights Irish if you want. There’s more then one way to do this. Some of you really don’t appear to be fully thinking thus logic through at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Strazdas wrote: »
    There is no evidence at all that Irish people are passing the virus to one another.....I think only two such cases out of the 18

Yeah maybe the Irish version of the virus isn't contagious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well Trump and his worshippers seem to believe it's a-okay in the US, but if Dublin parade goes ahead, think public should keep a safe social distance from the hot air blown out by the marching bands. Might be carrying more than a tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Give it a rest. If there wasn't contact tracing it would be a hell of alot worse.

All the conspiracy theorists out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

saabsaab wrote: »
    Don't want to panic anyone but isn't 1 in 20 5%?
    This is as bad as saying 1 to four cases is a quadrupling of cases. It may be true but it paints the wrong picture entirely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

There was a doctor on CNN Chris Cuomo other day, he said a Cat Scan could instantly find those infected far quicker that the current testing can.
    a simple scan will show it up.

You'll be waiting 14 months for a cat scan in Ireland. The news will have moved on by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

85% of patients require no hospital treatment.

That means almost nothing. That would be true even if the health system was brought to its knees. If the amount that the 15% represents is greater than the capacity to treat them it then the system has a serious problem which will affect everyone who needs that kind of treatment, not just people with the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

greenttc wrote: »
    For a few hours now I have been singing "Covid19" to the tune of "Come on Eileen.....", you have all caught it now!

Ive been signing to the tune of 1960s Batman

Na na na na na na na covid19

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

What would happen if say a family of 4 all get "mild-symptoms" = they will self-quarantine at home. After 10 days they run out of supplies. How to re-stock? I know I can order Tesco online but not everything can be purchased this way. I would also need to be honest and leave the note for the driver to leave the stuff at the door. The driver then may decide "fcuk it, not coming near the pox". This would leave me with no choice but take a hike and drag myself to the nearest grocery shop. And what if shops are closed altogether? Does the state have a reserve of MRE for the gen pop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Many people are not so healthy not just the over 60's, many of these are very fit. There are those who don't know it but have high BP, obese, undiagnosed conditions etc. etc. and will be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This sort of stuff is what causes the panic. Nothing to back up those figures in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Unearthly wrote: »
    Virus is too new to have any meaningful data on that. At the moment they are still trying to figure out the basics, like will warmer weather curb the spread

just had a google and found this study

Cocaine use may suppress the immune system
    https://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/news/article.php?permalink=5c5919c722

it seems obvious that if your immune system is suppressed that you will be more susceptible to a virus such as this.

and isn't ireland one of the largest consumers of cocaine in europe?

might be something to consider for all those young and healthy who are writing off the old folks so quickly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement