Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

One new case, the worst may be over folks. ;)

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

One new case, the worst may be over folks. ;)

Yes and welcome news, but we all understand spin and the need to manipulate figures. So let's wait & see. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that points to a number well in excess of 19 but like trollies, I guess what matters is how and when you count them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

It beggars belief. It really does. I know a couple who has a cruise holiday booked and due to go in two weeks. They hope to still go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

There was a doctor on CNN Chris Cuomo other day, he said a Cat Scan could instantly find those infected far quicker that the current testing can.
    a simple scan will show it up.

A very recent study published by the US National Library of Medicine found that CT scans cannot rule out COVID19 early on in the infection but that some telltale signs appear later on.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32017661-ct-imaging-features-of-2019-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/?from_term=%28chung%5BAuthor%5D%29+AND+%28%22radiology%22%5BJournal%5D%29&from_sort=&from_pos=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Jesus, I find myself flinching the last few days when anyone near me coughs, most people at least will try to cover their mouth etc but the amount of people that just cough with their gobs wide open and not even attempt to cover it freaks me out! :(

I went to a coffee shop today to grab a takeaway coffee and a toasted sandwich for lunch. While I was waiting I went to the bathroom to wash my hands. There’s only 2 cubicles in the Ladies and one was occupied. Without going into too much detail, I could hear the person inside doing their business ( and by business, I mean the sound and sudden smell) :(

Toilet flushed anyway.... they came straight out and walked out the door! :O

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

bb12 wrote: »
    just a thought...with the widespread use of cocaine amongst the so called healthy young and middle aged in this country, what effect does this have on the immune system and how would these users respond to being infected with corona?

These weekend junkies will more than likely be high risk.
    Cocaine users live on the edge and you can be dam sure if they're snorting banger/charley and coke up their chafed nostrils.

They're not exactly healthy or looking after themselves, so yes they're probably more likely to catch it than healthy people.

Being a middle class junkie is a bad place to be, but ah sure they're only doing a bit of banger at weekends.
    And they're the elite in society, so the virus will say to itself this gannet or jock is a z list celeb wannabe so let's infect the others and let the middle class wannabe toffs alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

MadYaker wrote:
    A mate of mine is a post doc researcher in NUIG and he says they could do testing (they have the equipment and skills) but there's something to do with regulations preventing them as it's a research lab and not generally used for that sort of thing. They aren't authorised to handle the samples was what he said. I assume the gov could open these type of labs up for testing though?
    Having the equipment is great, and NUIG is so near the hospital it seems like a viable source of resources.

But phd or post doc researches wouldnt be permitted to process patient specimens. As Miike said, the lab wouldn't be accredited.

Things would be all rosey if they started providing testing and they were churing out thousands of results a day.

But what happens if an error is found. A regagent wasn't working or somone wasn't properly trained.

All results would be called into question and you'd be told tough luck, this lab wasnt accredited to national standards.

Just because a lab has the tools to provide a services, doesn't mean they're qualified to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

There was a doctor on CNN Chris Cuomo other day, he said a Cat Scan could instantly find those infected far quicker that the current testing can.

CT scans only show ground glass opacity once the disease has had time to do damage. rRT-PCR can test at the outset of symptoms and a little before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Volthar wrote: »
    What would happen if say a family of 4 all get "mild-symptoms" = they will self-quarantine at home. After 10 days they run out of supplies. How to re-stock? I know I can order Tesco online but not everything can be purchased this way. I would also need to be honest and leave the note for the driver to leave the stuff at the door. The driver then may decide "fcuk it, not coming near the pox". This would leave me with no choice but take a hike and drag myself to the nearest grocery shop. And what if shops are closed altogether? Does the state have a reserve of MRE for the gen pop?
    Look out for Fear The Walking Dead - An Irish adventure, coming to your screens this Spring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

nthclare wrote: »
    These weekend junkies will more than likely be high risk.
    Cocaine users live on the edge and you can be dam sure if they're snorting banger/charley and coke up their chafed nostrils.

They're not exactly healthy or looking after themselves, so yes they're probably more likely to catch it than healthy people.

Being a middle class junkie is a bad place to be, but ah sure they're only doing a bit of banger at weekends.
    And they're the elite in society, so the virus will say to itself this gannet or jock is a z list celeb wannabe so let's infect the others and let the middle class wannabe toffs alone.

What the f*ck are you talking about? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

bio hazard suit guy put patient into lockdown isolation ward last night 9pm galway uni hospital very reliable source, backs up what i thought last night
    washing ambulance after another team with sprayers

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Cat scan (known as CT Computer Tomograph) is not a simple scan my friend. It is expensive to run, you would have to disinfect the machine after scanning each patient and it gives you an extra portion of radiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MadYaker wrote: »
    So we moved from panic buying of hand sanitizer and masks which I could understand, to bog roll??? Can anyone whose gone out and bought a load of bog roll tell us why??

Because people are stupid. One really really stupid person mentioned stocking up on toilet paper and all the other stupid people went out and bought loads of it and other stupid people who didn’t know that they needed to stock up on toilet paper seen this happening and decided they needed to stock up in it too and even got into fights with other stupid people over the last bale of loo roll.

I’m going to stock up on bin liners as I believe they are going to be getting scarce. Pass it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This sort of stuff is what causes the panic. Nothing to back up those figures in this country

In this country? Right, because the virus is going to behave differently here...
    Whatever % the UK is projecting is valid for a projection here, with a 1 month delay.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This sort of stuff is what causes the panic. Nothing to back up those figures in this country

He doesn't need to back them figures up because it happened. It happened in China. It happened in Italy. Figures are climbing every day around Europe.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Look out for Fear The Walking Dead - An Irish adventure, coming to your screens this Spring!

Good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So do we need hospitalisation for a mild case of Corona virus?
    for isolation so it doesn't spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's as if people want there to be more cases confirmed, so they can create even more panic. Let's just see how it plays out.

This nonsense has been trotted out every evening for the last 3 or 4 days, with a few more sporadic instances earlier. It's tiresome and un-original.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    What the f*ck are you talking about? :confused::confused:

Get on the program, you obviously got triggered.
    Are you a gannet or a jock lol

Do you take charley on a jive ever weekend yourself hopefully you'll get loads of likes for asking me what the **** am I on about.

Im hoping you get at least 20 likes

I’m going to stock up on bin liners as I believe they are going to be getting scarce. Pass it on.

Black heavy duty sacks - thank me later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Strazdas wrote: »
    There is no evidence at all that Irish people are passing the virus to one another.....I think only two such cases out of the 18
    The 1wk double estimate may even be over optimistic. 20 today (7th Mar).

Sat 14th March: If it's 40 or less, sure I'll drop off a case of my long-term dry goods in storage to the local charity shop/food bank.

Guess would be 70-100 at (very minimum) confirmed next Sat.
    50-70 means normal expectantcy.

#post 7934

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

owlbethere wrote: »
    He doesn't need to back them figures up because it happened. It happened in China. It happened in Italy. Figures are climbing every day around Europe.
    ... at varying rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Talking to my architect this morning. He's going to Northern Italy in 3 weeks with family. Said if you calculate population of Italy by cases or Corona, and do same with Ireland, you're as safe in Italy as here. He's not cancelling trip, and he's a clever guy so I dunno what to think.

Maybe he's not so clever, maybe he's just an asshole. Maybe his better half will give him a clatter around the ears and tell him not to be so f***ing stupid. Make up yer own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

That’s all well and good until you’ve a massive number of people all lining up for a “simple” CT scan. There are CT machines in most hospitals but they’re not exactly sitting around doing nothing all day. They’re used for other diagnostics and they’re also not in areas that would necessarily be able to cope with tons of patients with a potentially highly infectious disease.

They’re quick and simple, if you’re in a hospital and the machine is free and there are no other overheads - staffing, sterilising, knock on effects on other patients’ ability to access them for all the reasons they already do need them.

You are also talking about having to completely deep clean the surfaces of the machine with suitable disinfectants and the whole suite. Many of those are not really setup for containing infections and are more used for diagnostic purposes for general stuff.

The simplest and safest approach would be a swab carried out by a home visiting testing service, which is exactly what is being rolled out. The whole point of containment would be defeated by bringing hundreds if not thousands of people into hospitals to run them through a CT machine. They are trying to keep people who can be managed at home out of healthcare facilities so they can self isolate and not spread it around.

Extra lab facilities and more lab staff may be needed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not at all true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I am of the opinion that kitchen towels will be next in line for panic buying as people are sh1tting themselves

85% of patients require no hospital treatment.

Thank you for reminding me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Italy crushing it again Today, 36 more deats and 1000+ new cases. Lucky for us it shouldn't happen here as we won't get community transmission.

b3dbb232877a0cca.jpg?1583609018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

bb12 wrote: »
    just had a google and found this study

Cocaine use may suppress the immune system
    https://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/news/article.php?permalink=5c5919c722

it seems obvious that if your immune system is suppressed that you will be more susceptible to a virus such as this.

and isn't ireland one of the largest consumers of cocaine in europe?

might be something to consider for all those young and healthy who are writing off the old folks so quickly

I'd be more concerned about heavy drinkers and smokers in the country tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

Downlinz wrote: »
    Why are so many people stocking up on bottled water?

The mains aren't likely to be contaminated and you can always boil in a pinch if you're self isolating.
    I think it's more if you were in isolation and confined to bed..nobody to bring you water etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement