Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes it is already, the numbers being released by HSE do not include all the positive cases. Don't know what way they are doing it but there are definitely more confirmed cases in Dublin alone.
    Bull. You have no proof whatsoever of these "facts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Iceland’s a bit unusual actually. It’s basically one city the size of Cork and that’s where 90%+ or the 340,000 or so of them live. However, housing and so on is similar to here or Scandinavia and, much like ourselves, the social life is similar in many respects. They also have a very good public health system which would be more like Scandinavia.

Ireland’s a lot more scattered in terms of population than many countries. It’s hard to know if that will mean you end up with less transmission, but it could be our lousy public transport infrastructure, utter dependence on cars and desire to live in the rear end of nowhere might actually be of some benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Your constant use of bold font makes you look like an idiot and degrades the message.

The amount of rubbish thats posted in this thread (one example your comment above) means there is a need for it to make actual true info stand out.

Sure you are the one posting Christmas countdown in this thread, we can all see the idiot here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Xertz wrote: »
    Iceland’s a bit unusual actually. It’s basically one city the size of Cork and that’s where 90%+ or the 340,000 or so of them live. However, housing and so on is similar to here or Scandinavia and, much like ourselves, the social life is similar in many respects. They also have a very good public health system.

Ireland’s a lot more scattered in terms of population than many countries. It’s hard to know if that will mean you end up with less transmission, but it could be our lousy public transport infrastructure, utter dependence on cars and desire to live in the rear end of nowhere might actually be of some benefit.

Also, we don't like being near each other at all (I.e kissing on the cheek)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

DrumSteve wrote: »
    But what if there isn't...

What if the contact tracing is working?

Also, what if the HSE hotline is working as intended?

Possible but unlikely, it just doesn't add up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The new areas in Italy, any of them include airports so we can finally stop the direct flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Top ****ing class.
    Ha ha thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hmmm wrote: »

I know for a fact its true, i know someone who had a positive test result early Thursday afternoon yet they werent in Thursday evenings numbers and only showed up in Fridays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Xertz wrote: »
    Agree, the last place you might want to be is somewhere like London, people crammed in like sardines, about 5m on public transport every day.
    No wonder there is plans for HydePark (which is pretty hugh) to have special operational status pending, to be utilised, if peak figures occur in 12wks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Stewball wrote: »
    I'm calling bullplop on your mother in laws story.

i have no reason to lie, i know many do. shes here now do u want to talk to her?
    also a nurse friend said something similar last night
    i have two sources now so said i will publish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

MadYaker wrote: »
    There isn't going to be a christmas!

And there won't be snow in Wuhan this Christmas time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The Italians are only testing serious cases at this stage - there's no point testing everyone with symptoms, just send them home with a paracetamol and tell them to go hospital only if they have difficulty.

It means the figures from Italy will sound scary, but they are not representative of the numbers who have the virus. Every country will do this in time.

So you mean they sound scary because they are high, but they should sound scarier because they should be higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Italians are only testing serious cases at this stage - there's no point testing everyone with symptoms, just send them home with a paracetamol and tell them to go hospital only if they have difficulty.

It means the figures from Italy will sound scary, but they are not representative of the numbers who have the virus. Every country will do this in time.

The reason the numbers sound scary is because they are still so low relative to the population but in affected areas the health system is severely strained by it and cause unprecedented measures in response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Also, we don't like being near each other at all (I.e kissing on the cheek)

The Icelanders don’t do much of that either though and to be honest we are fond of the big bear hugs these days. Sure I mean when you meet the lads these days it’s not that unusual to go in for a big hug. Or at least until a few days ago, now that we have to just stand at opposite sides of the pub nodding at each other.

We’ll all be desperate for human contact in a few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e/the_who_sent_25_international_experts_to_china/

This article seems comprehensive... some clarity on symptoms observed in China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

dan786 wrote: »
    The amount of rubbish thats posted in this thread (one example your comment above) means there is a need for it to make actual true info stand out.

Sure you are the one posting Christmas countdown in this thread, we can all see the idiot here.

Touche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The new areas in Italy, any of them include airports so we can finally stop the direct flights?

People don't live in airports, silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

odyssey06 wrote: »

Interesting read but again is based on the assumption test results take days for the rRT-PCR (which it may due to testing differences in the US - Using a kit based approach). CT was always a tool in the toolbox but you're waiting for prototypical radiological patterns of SARS CoV 2 to actually show during pathogenesis. rRT-PCR is the gold standard of detecting the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I wish it was bull, believe me I'd love to think there was only one new case today but its simply not true, fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I couldn't find any powdered milk in the shops, just in case. So what can we use for our tea if we need to go into quarantine?

Cream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Where the fcuk has Beasty gone? His day job must be in the HSE

So you mean they sound scary because they are high, but they should sound scarier because they should be higher?
    Scary because you're hearing figures like "10% need ICU" in Italy. That's not 10% of all cases, that's 10% of the serious cases who end up in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

odyssey06 wrote: »

I already linked to that study a few pages ago, CT scans simply show damage done to the lungs, they don't make a clinical diagnosis especially in the early days of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Bno saying that Italy will lockdown 11 provinces in Northern Italy until April 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cant believe how many have died in italy. How many people would be expected to die in an average week or two from flu season in Italy?

I wish it was bull, believe me I'd love to think there was only one new case today but its simply not true, fact.
    It's your opinion, not fact. Learn the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

dan786 wrote: »

Interestingly, ROI and NI cases seem to be coming in at exactly the same rate per head of population (both very low it should be added).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

HSE behind again it seems, i know of yet another case outside Dublin that flew in from Italy last week who had results confirmed today and are not in the numbers tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Exercises in evasion dont make me laugh.
    Look at the numbers overall currently in terms of the population of as you mention england. 60+ million , 200 odd cases, my point is and always has been that the chance of catching it is low.
    I've never said it wont grow, it will. I'll challenge the stupidly posted figures of 20% of the population etc will get it. Every country is different, nobody can make an definitive assumptions in our country for example.
    You seem to be taking my post the complete wrong way, and that's up to you.
    And yes it is causing panic, if someone looked at this forum for the first time they'd probably run out to the shops and buy everything available.
    I'll take my guidance from the HSE and not you thanks.
    The only thing I think they've got wrong is not pulling paddys day

200 cases today is just an input factor to those numbers.
    We're talking about the UK projections for 3 months time and whether they might be applicable here. Given our close links with the UK their % figures deserve serious consideraton for similar impact here.

If the HSE have put out anything on our expected numbers over the next 3 months please use that to challenge; or why the virus would follow a different path here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Miike wrote: »
    Who is telling you these labs are on "skeleton staff"?

The Grim Reaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement