Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

dan786 wrote: »

The Northern Ireland Health Dept says the latest three cases are all adults who had recently travelled from Italy and are linked to a previously confirmed positive case.

So total of 25 on Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cant believe how many have died in italy. How many people would be expected to die in an average week or two from flu season in Italy?

One thing to bear in mind about Italy is the age profile of the population. I’d be interested to see if those mortalities are mostly older people. Other than Japan, it’s the oldest population in the world.

Ireland is a lot younger on average. Obviously that’s not very reassuring if you’re in your 80s+ but it’s also potentially why the Italian mortality rate is high.

The Italian healthcare system is regarded as extremely good in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

hmmm wrote: »
    The Italians are only testing serious cases at this stage - there's no point testing everyone with symptoms, just send them home with a paracetamol and tell them to go hospital only if they have difficulty.

It means the figures from Italy will sound scary, but they are not representative of the numbers who have the virus. Every country will do this in time.

highest number of daily tests today in Italy: 5700

total number of tests (tamponi): 42062

The data on those who do not have symptoms is also available: 1843 positive and in quarantine

Official table: 5061 total positives - 2651 with symptoms and hospitalised - 567 in intensive care = 1843 positive and in quarantine

EShbpCGWkAA3-dm?format=jpg&name=smallhttp://www.protezionecivile.gov.it/home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's your opinion, not fact. Learn the difference.

It is fact, i know of at least one other who got confirmed today and they are not in the east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lungs ?

Yea, shows a cloud on the lungs, white hazy areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

It's your opinion, not fact. Learn the difference.

Unfortunately it is fact, time will tell if they start to release the actual figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bno saying that Italy will lockdown 11 provinces in Northern Italy until April 3rd.

And yet we probably still wont stop flights coming.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Xertz wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind about Italy is the age profile of the population. I’d be interested to see if those mortalities are mostly older people. Other than Japan, it’s the oldest population in the world.

Ireland is a lot younger on average. Obviously that’s not very reassuring if you’re in your 80s+ but it’s also potentially why the Italian mortality rate is high.

The Italian healthcare system is regarded as extremely good in general.

An Italian study analysed the 105 dead (as per 4 March).
    Average Age: 81

• 42.2% between 80 and 89
    • 32.4% between 70 and 79
    • 14.1% over 90
    • 8.4% between 60 and 69
    • 2.8% between 50 and 59
    https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/ass...ent/id/5286166

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3 Galway hospitals are apparently implementing 'severe' restrictions according to local media.

HSE wont comment or confirm it is due to coronavirus cases

Do they not realise the lack of basic information is what leads to speculation and concern?

What is the problem with simply saying why the hospitals have implemented that?

The level of secrecy is absurd. It is not jeopardising patient confidentiality for high level info like that.

All other countries have no issues giving specifics to avoid the speculation the HSE are generating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

State of emergency declared in New york as cases rise to 76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

odyssey06 wrote: »
    200 cases today is just an input factor to those numbers.
    We're talking about the UK projections for 3 months time and whether they might be applicable here. Given our close links with the UK their % figures deserve serious consideraton for similar impact here.

If the HSE have put out anything on our expected numbers over the next 3 months please use that to challenge; or why the virus would follow a different path here.

Personally I dont think you can compare the 2 figures. UK is more densely populated. 5 million using the london underground per day for example. We dont have that sort of high density

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unfortunately it is fact, time will tell if they start to release the actual figures.
    I heard from a man down the pub that George Soros was seen entering HSE offices today, and there are rows of infected people being kept in a giant secret hospital under the national leprechaun museum.

Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

For all those who defer to WHO advice there are a number of mistakes in WHO advice, the main one waiting to isolate after returning from a hotspot.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

We know you can spread the virus while asymtomatic.

China and Singapore implemented stricter measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

VinLieger wrote: »
    And yet we probably still wont stop flights coming.....

Unbelievable incompetence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder why Cabin crew are even agreeing to work on Italian flights at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Daily update UK & Ireland ....

United Kingdom = 206 cases.
    Ireland (ROI) = 19 cases to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do they not realise the lack of basic information is what leads to speculation and concern?
    I think hospitals have better things to be doing than indulging your need for minute by minute updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Blueshoe wrote: »
    He's just there to talk bollocks and sign bills.

Stop watching tabloid news and actually read quoted statements.

The cure for this virus will come from the Us. Nothing will come from the HSE. Our third world health system will be shown up.

Trump requested $2 billion to fight coronavirus. It was Congress (Reps and Dems) who developed the Bill to provide €8 billion. You tried to give him credit for this. As I said, all he did was just sign it. Now he is retrospectively claiming credit for it - and you are giving credit to this blowhard.

Presidents can and do request large additional amounts of funding for emergencies and for specific projects (as Trump homself did for his wall). But he only requested $2 billion for corona virus.

You are right about him talking bollocks, though. It is his speciality. Like saying that anyone who wants a test can have it, even though the lack of tests has been a major issue for the US from the start - and the shortage remains. "He said during his afternoon tour of the CDC that any American "that needs a test gets a test." "They're there," the President said. "They have the test, and the tests are beautiful" https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-messaging-confusion/index.html

Or telling Sean Hannity “So if, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better, just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work but they get better.”

By the way, I do not get my news from Fox and Friends or The National Enquirer, as your tabloid reference implied. Do you?

If a vaccine/treatment does come from the US it will be despite Trump. As of now, the Trump administration response to the virus has been a mess - or should I say "a beautiful mess"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

People don't live in airports, silly.

You know what I mean. Are there any areas just announced that have direct flights to ireland ?

If so I assume they get cancelled straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I heard from a man down the pub that George Soros was seen entering HSE offices today, and there are rows of infected people being kept in a giant secret hospital under the national leprechaun museum.

Fact.

You clown. That is meant to kept secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I couldn't find any powdered milk in the shops, just in case. So what can we use for our tea if we need to go into quarantine?

UHT milk (foul but does in a pinch) or almond milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Personally I dont think you can compare the 2 figures. UK is more densely populated. 5 million using the london underground per day for example. We dont have that sort of high density

Yes, and Dublin is very low rise compared to nearly every capital in Europe. Two storey houses everywhere and large tower blocks are an absolute rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Daily update UK & Ireland ....

United Kingdom = 206 cases.
    Ireland (ROI) = 19 cases to date.

Per million pop those rates are fairly similar between 3 and 4 cases per 1 million people.

Because of the small numbers, especially here, it’s fairly unreliable data though.

But just looking at it without much detailed analysis, it’s looking like both islands have the same rates right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think hospitals have better things to be doing than indulging your need for minute by minute updates.

What a load of absolute nonsense.

The hospitals have been like that all day.

There is nothing 'minute by minute' about it. I don't expect that.

I expect reasonable daily updates of the standard in other countries.

We are not getting anything remotely like that.

The uk & Ireland are predicted to be 12wks away from any peak figures
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-will-peak-at-easter-but-it-could-be-back-in-november-qjqjmn307
    (may need sub, by Dr.Peter Piot). the rate of doubling varies hugely, but 5-7days is fair average. A giant parade on 17th March certainly won't help things however.

You won't notice a weekly doubling at first, not even for the rest of March, but as it near the peak it will be a different ball game.

In all, 1/4m cases over 3mths of so, unless there are very, very, very stringent containment methods.

If you had an opportunity to move to another country for a year, (say for example Canada) would you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

For all those who defer to WHO advice there are a number of mistakes in WHO advice, the main one waiting to isolate after returning from a hotspot.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

We know you can spread the virus while asymtomatic.

China and Singapore implemented stricter measures.

Singapore also engaged the public, unlike the HSE who give us "a person in the south of the country" "a person in the east of the country" "4 people in the west of the country"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_cities_proper_by_population_density
    Dublin is the 27th most densely populated city in Europe. It is low rise but also Irish people live in much smaller homes than most people in the west, places like stoneybatter ,crumlin, the liberties and drumcondra are one/two story and very low rise but extremely densely populated as you have entire families living in tiny cottages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dubli BUS 325,000 people each day.
    Dublin LUAS 109,000 people each day.

If you'd like to explain why these figures aren't enough to spread community tranmissions once started please fire ahead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cant believe how many have died in italy. How many people would be expected to die in an average week or two from flu season in Italy?

Stop comparing apples and bananas

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 38 ChurchtownMan

While frustrating to internet junkies, they do realise that speculation and concern present NO health risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement