Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

26 in total on the whole island now. 3 more in NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What a load of absolute nonsense.

The hospitals have been like that all day.

There is nothing 'minute by minute' about it. I don't expect that.

I expect reasonable daily updates of the standard in other countries.

We are not getting anything remotely like that.

The public are providing reliable updates. Dr. Tony only confirms what is already public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

wakka12 wrote: »
    State of emergency declared in New york as cases rise to 76

State declarations of emergency sound worse than they are, they are simply a tool which allows for certain temporary laws to be made and access to federal emergency funding and resources if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

State of emergency declared in New york as cases rise to 76

All a State of Emergency in the US means is federal funds can be made available to supplement local resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

Three more cases in Northern Ireland. All connected to other case and having travelled from Italy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GM228 wrote: »
    State declarations of emergency sound worse than they are, they are simply a tool which allows for certain temporary laws to be made and access to federal emergency funding and resources if need be.
    Spot on. Several states declared an emergency before a case was even announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dubli BUS 325,000 people each day.
    Dublin LUAS 109,000 people each day.

If you'd like to explain why these figures aren't enough to spread community tranmissions once started please fire ahead.

I didnt say they weren't. Take it in context to 5 million on just the london underground per day never mind everywhere else in the UK. There isnt a comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If I don't get this this quick I'm going to go bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Just gonna drop this here. Someone who was isolated for having Asthmatic symptoms in a room full of suspected covid19 cases.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/fewjc2/i_am_a_patient_with_a_preexisting_medical/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

morebarn wrote: »
    Three more cases in Northern Ireland. All connected to other case and having travelled from Italy again.

26 in total on the whole island now after the 3 new in NI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Doyler99 wrote: »
    Why doesn't the HSE recommend what to take in self isolation if one is suspected of having the virus? Like take aspirin or ibuprofen, drink plenty of water etc.

This +100

I was sick with chest problems two summers ago. I found a heat pad to the chest was comforting. Strangely comfortably to soothe a cough is childrens Calpol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

odyssey06 wrote: »

Again, nope. They published an opinion piece about the utility of CT chest in people with suspected early stage disease.

Miles away from proving they are even equivalent not to mind better than accredited evolving laboratory testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Reati wrote: »
    Just gonna drop this here. Someone who was isolated for having Asthmatic symptoms in a room full of suspected covid19 cases.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/fewjc2/i_am_a_patient_with_a_preexisting_medical/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Anonymous posted on Reddit, yea must be true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wish tv, newspapers etc would stop including NI in the Republics figures - when they report the UK numbers they don't subtract the NI figures

It's just confusing people wondering where all the other cases have suddenly come from

There are only 19 confirmed cases in the South

It's clickbaity scaremongering at the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

26 in total on the whole island now after the 3 new in NI

Still extremely low, about one in every 250k people (population of the island is just under 7m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What is the estimated mortality rate now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

pjohnson wrote: »
    I wonder why Cabin crew are even agreeing to work on Italian flights at this stage.

Because they are not in the risk age group, would lose their job if they did and will get sick leave if the get it as more than a 24hr sniffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_cities_proper_by_population_density
    Dublin is the 27th most densely populated city in Europe. It is low rise but also Irish people live in much smaller homes than most people in the west, places like stoneybatter ,crumlin, the liberties and drumcondra are one/two story and very low rise but extremely densely populated as you have entire families living in tiny cottages.

Small areas of some cities are dense with low floor areas but the average size of dwellings isn’t small.

https://statbank.cso.ie/multiquicktables/quickTables.aspx?id=bhq05_2

160 square meters is the average Irish house foot print which is almost twice than twice the size of the average British house which is only 85 square meters.

The majority of the population don’t live in bodies like Stonybatter’s artisan dwellings nor is Druncondra dense by any stretch of the imagination! It’s basically as sprawling garden suburb.

Compared to say Brussels, for example, we’re noticeably lower density and those areas like the Liberties, Stoneybatter or Cork’s equivalents like Blackpool and Shandon etc are the exceptions, not the rule. There are vast areas of Stoneybatter style housing in most large English cities, far more extensive than in Dublin and high density apartment living is very normal in almost all continental cities.

The majority of Irish housing is fairly spacious suburban stuff and once you get beyond the cities and into the hinterlands it goes way up in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I didnt say they weren't. Take it in context to 5 million on just the london underground per day never mind everywhere else in the UK. There isnt a comparison.

Hold on. You didn't just say the UK figures weren't transferrable here, you implied anyone using them as a basis for approximate Irish figures was spreading panic. That's what I challenged you on.

What about this? Do they run the London Underground in Scotland?
    Caroline Calderwood, Scotland’s chief medical officer, said that under the worst-case scenario between 50% and 80% of Scotland’s population would catch the virus over a number of months, with 20% of those likely to become ill.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/02/scotland-says-250000-could-be-hospitalised-if-coronavirus-spreads

What are the projected figures from the HSE?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Again, nope. They published an opinion piece about the utility of CT chest in people with suspected early stage disease.

Miles away from proving they are even equivalent not to mind better than accredited evolving laboratory testing.

Someone posted that the case in Cork was diagnosed by a radiologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Doyler99 wrote: »
    Why doesn't the HSE recommend what to take in self isolation if one is suspected of having the virus? Like take aspirin or ibuprofen, drink plenty of water etc.

There's a fair bit of practical information on the HSE website about self isolation.
    But you hardly need the HSE to tell you about taking painkillers if you have pain or keeping hydrated etc.

Just apply general common sense.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Reati wrote: »

Yep. Trust the HSE and its protocols. Do the stupidest thing possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A lot of focus on Italy but France is accelerating in cases all the time

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236362795093983234

336 new cases and 7 new fatalities so far today. Highest yet for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

fritzelly wrote: »
    I wish tv, newspapers etc would stop including NI in the Republics figures - when they report the UK numbers they don't subtract the NI figures

It's just confusing people wondering where all the other cases have suddenly come from

But if NI is somewhat contained going forward (as they say), we might need their help under the treatment purchase fund or cross Border initiative or whatever the feck it's called now.

Don't knock NI yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Again, nope. They published an opinion piece about the utility of CT chest in people with suspected early stage disease. Miles away from proving they are even equivalent not to mind better than accredited evolving laboratory testing.

I never said they were though. That was a US article linked by someone else.

I was curious if there was a unique identifiable pattern to the damage from the virus in advanced cases that would show up on CT scans.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

hmmm wrote: »
    I heard from a man down the pub that George Soros was seen entering HSE offices today, and there are rows of infected people being kept in a giant secret hospital under the national leprechaun museum.

Fact.

Interesting. I thought it was Russkis all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

fritzelly wrote: »

it's a 32 county disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

wadacrack wrote: »

Only two weeks late.

And let’s wait for further details but from what I saw in the earlier announcement an Italian lockdown has little to do with a Chinese lockdown: all roads, trains, buses and airports still running, but people are “urged” not to enter and exit the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GM228 wrote: »
    Anonymous posted on Reddit, yea must be true :)

Pictures posted also. Take a look

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement